Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2017 Nvidia Shield

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭tonic wine

What's are good website for how to guides, information ect?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭xtal191

£150 without controller and £160 with controller

https://www.nvidia.co.uk/shield/?ClickID=bqgszm66qzzzgqvsydyzf6s1mdvkzs6lmgyg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭moonboy52

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

I have an old Shield with a Controller, but no remote.

Would like to get a remote but can't justify buying it alone, half tempted to get a new one even though I have no need for it!

Anyone any remotes they'd be willing to part with?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭SachaJ

T-b0n3 wrote: »

Would like to get a remote but can't justify buying it alone, half tempted to get a new one even though I have no need for it!

If I were you I'd buy the package from Nvidia for the £160 and sell your old model on Adverts. You'd get a remote and a much better controller. That's if you can live without the SD card slot......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

I bought 2 2017 Shields this year, never used the controllers. Would be happy to let them(controllers) go for €40 each.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭cronos

If you get a brand new tv with webos for example and buy a ps4. Would it be still worthwhile having one of these do you think?

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    I bought 2 2017 Shields this year, never used the controllers. Would be happy to let them(controllers) go for €40 each.

I'd take one.....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

T-b0n3 wrote: »

I sold my old shield and bought a new one. I never use the remote. The new remote is a better design but there is no real difference beteeen the consoles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

cronos wrote: »
    If you get a brand new tv with webos for example and buy a ps4. Would it be still worthwhile having one of these do you think?

It really depends on what you want to get out of it. The PS4 is better for games compared to the Shield's native games but doesn't have the same emulation abilities that the Shield does.

The webos TV (LG I assume?) will have standard streaming apps but doesn't have Kodi which is where the Shield really shines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,670 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

yep its a great box it just works! fair play to Nvidia for continuing to support the original box that I have (got it in the Amazon Black Friday/Cyber Monday sale 2 years ago), I use it for Netflix YouTube IPTV etc! Nothing can really come close to touching it! Highly recommended for those who know what their doing and willing to pay the price.

Does the iptv work well on it, I’m running it on a mag box and another Gemma thing but no TV guide and the boxes aren’t that easy for the other people in the house ?
    Maybe you can drop me a pm rather than posting here, thanks in advance

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭KilOit

What kind of benefits do you get with rooted shield tv?
    i root my phones but never bothered with the shield since i mostly game and watch netflix with it

stimpson wrote: »
    I sold my old shield and bought a new one. I never use the remote. The new remote is a better design but there is no real difference beteeen the consoles.

Do you just use the controller then?

I would imagine using the remote is easier than the controller, one handed etc.

KilOit wrote: »
    What kind of benefits do you get with rooted shield tv?
    i root my phones but never bothered with the shield since i mostly game and watch netflix with it

People do it to have the full Android experience from what i can see.

Personally, i like the LeanBack launcher, and it has enough apps to keep me content

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Patww79 wrote: »

There are plenty of Android TV games that are not FPS, coupled with emulation there is a wealth of variety

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭dan185

I'm struggling to order that to Ireland or parcel motel. Anyone had success?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

Patww79 wrote: »

Could use one like this if voice commands are not required
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Android-Remote-Airmouse-Frequency-Multimedia/dp/B01DC6WC4K/ref=pd_sim_107_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=K07H0S8TJRB2J77HZ525

Also people have reported that the much cheaper Fire TV remote works as a bluetooth device, along with voice commands.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭dan185

dan185 wrote: »

Ordered. I'll sell the remote when it arrives for 30 quid if anyone wants it.

Ordered. I'll sell the remote when it arrives for 30 quid if anyone wants it.

I'll take the remote for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭dodzy

Post a Link the one you’re ordering Dan

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Pious14

I have a minix neo u1 - wat can this do that’s different?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭dodzy

Pious14 wrote: »
    I’m getting it for 2 reasons:

To replace an ageing minix x8-h
    And for emulation retro gaming

Purely on specs, it’s a serious box.

That said, the u1 is very decent. If you’re just streaming and using Kodi, you have a very good box already.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

Pious14 wrote: »

Proper Android TV, 4K/HD/5.1 Netflix, Amazon Prime Video.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

Was this reduced last black Friday and if so by how much?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Does the iptv work well on it, I’m running it on a mag box and another Gemma thing but no TV guide and the boxes aren’t that easy for the other people in the house ?
    Maybe you can drop me a pm rather than posting here, thanks in advance

Check out STB emulator for IPTV .

brightkane wrote: »
    Was this reduced last black Friday and if so by how much?

Not that I remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Questionable?

How can I order this to Ireland? Won't take my card as the billing address is in Ireland. Have a parcel motel account for the shipping address

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

stimpson wrote: »

Yeah. I just use the controller. The remote from my TV works as well through HDMI-CEC so I generally use that. TBH I’m not sure when I last saw the remote.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

How can I order this to Ireland? Won't take my card as the billing address is in Ireland. Have a parcel motel account for the shipping address

Order direct from Amazon.
    Where you trying to order from ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement