Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2017 Nvidia Shield

Options

Comments

yabadabado wrote: »
    Order direct from Amazon.
    Where you trying to order from ?

Nvidia are selling it for £30 off directly

• Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Basil3 wrote: »

Didnt realise that.
    I suppose PayPal/Revolut card and Parcel Model is best option.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭dodzy

Basil3 wrote: »
    Link here. great price. Paypal & PM/PW/AP . £159. Can't see it going this low with Amazon next week.

https://www.nvidia.co.uk/shield/shield-tv/

dodzy wrote: »
    Link ?

Its on the Nvidia UK site.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,670 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Right lads I’ve been watching videos on this and it looks great and am debating purchasing today but quick query before hand

My uses for this would be streaming certain things not on Netflix and cartoons for the kid during the day
    I’m using iptv at the moment on a couple of boxes but one of them has given up today

Would this be over kill for my needs or would I be better off getting a cheaper android
    I was all for this and people on reddit seemed to be advising others if you’re not gaming on it don’t bother
    I have an Xbox one x so I wouldn’t use it for gaming

Thanks in advance and sorry If it’s a stupid question but I want to be sure before buying it

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Right lads I’ve been watching videos on this and it looks great and am debating purchasing today but quick query before hand

My uses for this would be streaming certain things not on Netflix and cartoons for the kid during the day
    I’m using iptv at the moment on a couple of boxes but one of them has given up today

Would this be over kill for my needs or would I be better off getting a cheaper android
    I was all for this and people on reddit seemed to be advising others if you’re not gaming on it don’t bother

Thanks in advance and sorry If it’s a stupid question but I want to be sure before buying it

It's not overkill IMO, it's about the ongoing support it gets through continuous updates.

Patww79 wrote: »
    From looking up guides you'd need to be a rocket scientist to get IPTV working on a Shield. Seems impossible.

You can just set it up through Kodi, surely?

It's pretty simple with the perfect player app

• Registered Users Posts: 17,664 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

OmegaGene wrote: »

I'd advise to just get a fire stick.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    I'd advise to just get a fire stick.

Pretty poor for IPTV

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭fish fingers

Pretty poor for IPTV

Not at all, stick perfect player on stick and away you go

Check your pm's

What do you mean by this ?

£30 off offer ends 20/11/17(possibly 12am tonight).

The shield is on hdmi 2 and the normal TV (horizon box) is on hdmi 1, so if I want to pull up YouTube or use Assistant or something I have to switch hdmi sources on the TV first. Presumably with a proper Sony Android smart TV it's all there all the time even if you're watching TV instead of two totally separate devices.

Get a Logitech Harmony remote, best investment I've ever made. Works with every device * and Google Assistant

*get the ultimate one with a hub which adds Bluetooth and Wi-Fi

It will use IR for the TV. The Shield uses bluetooth, wifi is so google assistant can talk to it

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Logitech-Harmony-Elite-Remote-Control-Blue/dp/B014GXQOJ2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1511093462&sr=8-1&keywords=harmony+elite
    Keep an eye on the sales, they do drop in price every so often

OK Google turn on the shield (I've added this as a shortcut instead of saying ask Harmony turn on the shield). The Tv turns on, changes to HDMI 1, the Shield turns on, the surround reciever turns on and sets itself to the Shield input. The remote then works for the Shield with the volume buttons controlling the receiver

Ok Google ask Harmony turn on Sky News and it changes the input on my reciever to my Amiko alien 2 Sat box and then after a few seconds changes to Sky News

• Advertisement

I edited my post, it uses IR for the TV, the hub even comes with little IR blasters that allow you hide the hub away. it will even change the source on the TV from another room using WIFI to the hub :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭SachaJ

According to HUKD, amazon warehouse is doing 20% off open box from midnight tonight. Means the “used, very good” Shields will be around £140.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭roosterman71

SachaJ wrote: »
    According to HUKD, amazon warehouse is doing 20% off open box from midnight tonight. Means the “used, very good” Shields will be around £140.

Is the warehouse stuff good to buy?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭Shlippery

dodzy wrote: »
    Link here. great price. Paypal & PM/PW/AP . £159. Can't see it going this low with Amazon next week.

https://www.nvidia.co.uk/shield/shield-tv/

Looks solid, camel camel camel says £167 or there abouts was lowest yet on amazon. Anyone bought from nvidia direct here ? Or jus roll dice on pm?

I edited my post, it uses IR for the TV, the hub even comes with little IR blasters that allow you hide the hub away. it will even change the source on the TV from another room using WIFI to the hub :cool:
    The Hub is a fantastic bit of kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,670 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

well i ordered mine lads thanks for the advice, funny that the payment went to digital river Ireland, but they wont ship to Ireland.

The internet isn’t for everyone

yabadabado wrote: »
    The Hub is a fantastic bit of kit.

Yeah, it's truly the best gadget I've bought, the Shield is second. I have the Harmony One but I now see there's a newer Elite which adds buttons to control lights and sockets which is what I'd be buying if I was buying now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Yes, I've both a Harmony Ultimate and a Harmony Elite and I'm using them it almost the exactly the same way as The high horse brigade.

Also work great with Ghome.

"Hey Google, turn on Shield TV" has harmony switch my TV and AV on and switch the input to the Shield TV.

Though a warning Patww, it takes a bit of effort to get the Harmony setup, it requires some patience.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement