Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Oiling up the Tape Players out in Montrose.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

mick_irl wrote: »
    He must work to the school holidays so?

In that case, he'll be off for a mid term break around the 16th of Feb.

This geezer must have me on ignore:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

This geezer must have me on ignore:rolleyes:

???

mick_irl wrote: »
    ???

I've only been highlighting that very fact to the point of nausea for the last four years.

Good man, keep in touch now, glad I'm not on ignore;)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

How's Kat Penny for Holy Days of Obligation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Bondvillain

humberklog wrote: »
    How's Kat Penny for Holy Days of Obligation?

Terrible. He was seen eating a McRib on Good Friday once. ( although the argument stands that there's actually a negligible amount of meat in it, the intention was still there)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Fulton Crown

DMC wrote: »
    Can some one tell me again what is retirement age in Montrose?

Jimmy Magee?
    Larry Gogan?
    Gay Byrne?
    Sean (not so) Óg O'Ceallachain?
    Michael O'Muircheartaigh?

In saying that, great broadcasters, and good to see them still doing what they love, but if you think Maxi is for the old folks home, think again!

Great broadcasters ???? Get a grip my friend......all the above seniors are well past their sell by...going badly off some of them..."blown" as it were.

I won't deny they were competent in their prime...but that was long ago...long long ago.

The chief fault of RTE is not havin the balls to say to these boys ..."yore time is up - youve had yore day...time for the pipe an slippers...make way for younger blood"

But fcuk it I'm stupid..this the public service....normal rules do not apply

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

But fcuk it I'm stupid..this the public service....normal rules do not apply

So the older licence payer doesn't deserve to hear contemporary voices of there age on the air, in something that's not just Fáilte Isteach?

Independent radio and TV in this country is only 20 years old (pirates 30+), so the chance of geriatrics behind the mike are so much lessened. (Special exception for Northern Sound in Cavan/Monaghan, some presenters there sound like they were never teenagers)

Take any public broadcaster in the world, or even commercial broadcasters who have been around for decades, and they have their share of token old duffers who've been there since Marconi got a brainwave.

BBC Radio have had a few 90+ year old broadcasters too.

DMC wrote: »
    So the older licence payer doesn't deserve to hear contemporary voices of there age on the air, in something that's not just Fáilte Isteach?

Independent radio and TV in this country is only 20 years old (pirates 30+), so the chance of geriatrics behind the mike are so much lessened. (Special exception for Northern Sound in Cavan/Monaghan, some presenters there sound like they were never teenagers)

Take any public broadcaster in the world, or even commercial broadcasters who have been around for decades, and they have their share of token old duffers who've been there since Marconi got a brainwave.

BBC Radio have had a few 90+ year old broadcasters too.

Not sure I quite get yore point here friend...I'm sure it's my fault !

No problem with old duffers on air...but in their (it's spelled this way)appropriate place - dont have 70+ guys as DJ'S or sports commentators...just dosn't work.

My problem is not so much with age as with blandness and lazy preparation + those husky voiced bints who so seem to infest the studios of our National Broadcaster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Not sure I quite get yore point here friend...I'm sure it's my fault !

No problem with old duffers on air...but in their (it's spelled this way)appropriate place - dont have 70+ guys as DJ'S or sports commentators...just dosn't work.

My problem is not so much with age as with blandness and lazy preparation + those husky voiced bints who so seem to infest the studios of our National Broadcaster.

What do you consider their appropriate place? If they are good enough, surely their age doesn't matter?

I agree that blandness and lazy preparation are woes in the industry, and that is a crime perpetrated by younger members, who, unlike their predecessors, do not have the time to learn their trade in the same way. It's mostly "in at the deep end" stuff.

Gravitas isn't something bestowed due to age. It's something that has to be earned.

P.S. Thanks for the tip. Other than the odd lapse in punctuation, your post was fine. It's a step above txt speak. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭mcscrub

Great broadcasters ???? Get a grip my friend......all the above seniors are well past their sell by...going badly off some of them..."blown" as it were.

I can't agree with this. Michael Ó Muircheartiagh isn't passed his sell-by date, nobody can match up to his commentary skills, and anyone who tries only wishes they had his talent and flare.

Gay Byrne retired from Late Late and now look at it....jaysus we need him back.

Jimmy Magee still has it.

The reason why we need people like these, no matter what age they are is because they are all probably the most knowledgable in their game. Audiences have learned to trust them. You ask any GAA fan who the best commentator is and they'll all say Michael. You ask any TV talk show fan who they reckon is the best ever presenter and they'll probably say Gay Byrne. Nobody in Irish TV has been able to match his presenting abilities for a Friday night serious talk show.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭mcscrub

mcscrub wrote: »
    INobody in Irish TV has been able to match his presenting abilities for a Friday night serious talk show.

hehe, unles you count Pat Kenny!!

mcscrub wrote: »
    I can't agree with this. Michael Ó Muircheartiagh isn't passed his sell-by date, nobody can match up to his commentary skills, and anyone who tries only wishes they had his talent and flare.

Gay Byrne retired from Late Late and now look at it....jaysus we need him back.

Jimmy Magee still has it.

The reason why we need people like these, no matter what age they are is because they are all probably the most knowledgable in their game. Audiences have learned to trust them. You ask any GAA fan who the best commentator is and they'll all say Michael. You ask any TV talk show fan who they reckon is the best ever presenter and they'll probably say Gay Byrne. Nobody in Irish TV has been able to match his presenting abilities for a Friday night serious talk show.

MMM....Agreed O'Muirceartaig has a unique talent and style..but the guy is a throwback to the tilley lamp and the rural electrification scheme !!

His style does nothing to attract a wider urban following to GAA games and believe me the GAA need that - attendances at all the semi finals in 2008 show that when the Dubs are not playing Croke par is less than half full...warning signs - believe me !

Byrne was an excellent broadcaster but Tubridy would do a pretty good job on the Late Late...my point being that younger broadcasters would do a very good job...given the chance.

Can't agree on Magee...come on !! What's this guy doing still on Radio - we have Darragh Molony a knowlegible and excellent commentator who is seriously underused ;;great comment team too in Dowling and Jim Rock.

I have a senior position in FMCG and the golden rule is ..."never go past your sell by date"

Something our public service broadcaster should note.

FMCG??

FMCG??

Huh ??:confused:

Fast Moving Consumer Goods Flutt....bit like your sh1tes !!

MWMWAMWWWAAAAAA :D:D

:eek:

Steady up there Fulton,less of the personal please.

This forum is properly moderated.

Youl'l have the jam down on top of you:rolleyes:

:eek:

Steady up there Fulton,less of the personal please.

This forum is properly moderated.

Youl'l have the jam down on top of you:rolleyes:

Lost the run o mesell....SORRY

Nothing personal ,hope the Mods don't take an interest.

See Marzie is gone for the mid term!!

Probably down in SA doing "Charity" work.

€450k for that gig is a nice little packet.

She is excellent, but like the Public service, the HSE, and the Oireachtais,costs too much.

How do they get away with it??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Half term you know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭Dan Dare

I think Rachel English is far better than Ms Finucane, "you are very welcome indeed" who reminds me of a female Mike Murphy indeed.

Any news on whether any of those overpaid saps in RTE actually have taken their salary cut.

It's a bit like that banker goon on telly the other day who presided over a catastrophic fall in his banks value and still gets a wedge of circa 2 million spuds.

Sure some of the broadcasters are competent at their jobs....but grossly overpaid.

As i keep saying it's lovely comfortable cosy club ..so it is ...with nobody but a board of politically appointed hacks to call you to account.

Paid for by John Q Taxpayer

And the same John Q Taxpayer is funding their frequent holidays.

Kenny is gone today... usually back on Thur for the late late on Fri.

Cosy club is right Fulton, did I hear GR has the daughter in with him reading the papers for the show??

Another frikken dynasty starts, and people wonder why the public complain.

Public frikken facilities for their own nepotism and aggrandisment

Nice if you can get away with it:mad::mad:

And the same John Q Taxpayer is funding their frequent holidays.

Kenny is gone today... usually back on Thur for the late late on Fri.

Cosy club is right Fulton, did I hear GR has the daughter in with him reading the papers for the show??

No haven't heard that one but given the solidity of Ryans neck it wouldn't surprise me.

Didn't Gaybo have one of his daughters working on the Late late some years ago.

Unfortunately RTE got infested with alternative leftie types some years ago nad they have a tendency to self perpetuate.

When will we have a RTE board with with the guts to face down these so called "stars" an give them the proverbial shoe up the bracket. ??

Never a better time than now in this posters opinion.....

I'm afraid you might be waiting Fulton, I too on behalf of the long suffering John Q Taxpayer, would love to see the 'boot of reality' being introduced firmly up to the third eylet in their respective gooches,but I fear that the will to apply that eye smarting strategy is ,sadly ,not there in senior management or the Board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

This annoys me.

People, it works like this. The likes of GR, PK etc are self employed. They contract out their services to the highest payer (natch). They are given X amount of money & resources to produce a show.

It is up to them whom they employ on their production staff & who does the "filling in" etc. I'm 95% sure it comes out of their pocket.

If he employs his daughter to do something on the show, he's paying her, why should we care ? Sure it's nepotism, but that's business. Get over it.

• Advertisement

When a service to whom I pay €160 pa for the priviledge of listening to and watching,is in my opinion, overpaying it's staff ,I care.

I may not be totally right,but one thing is sure,whether on contract, on the staff, or otherwise,RTE stars are grossly overpaid in my opinion.

I pay my money, I have my say.

iMax wrote: »
    This annoys me.

People, it works like this. The likes of GR, PK etc are self employed. They contract out their services to the highest payer (natch). They are given X amount of money & resources to produce a show.

It is up to them whom they employ on their production staff & who does the "filling in" etc. I'm 95% sure it comes out of their pocket.

If he employs his daughter to do something on the show, he's paying her, why should we care ? Sure it's nepotism, but that's business. Get over it.[/QUOTE]

Huh ? You serious pal ...?

If you take your position to it's logical conclusion it would be OK if he employed his entire family or "The Ryan Clan" as he calls them to present the show.

Nobody should be on the show just because they are the presenters daughter surely ?

I accept that nepotism in a family owned and run business is going to happen ...but in a national radio station.....no pal...just not on.

But who will cry ...STOP ????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

I'm deadly serious. He's paid to put together a package. I think he's grossly overpaid, but that's the way it is.

Kenny off, Dungan on, radio off

I hear Joe Jackson took a delivery of Three-In-One oil the other day.

The stars should be lying back doing the nixer gigs around now, while John Q Taxpayer foots the bill for repeats and tapes over the busy holiday season.

Nice little number they have out there, although the new head seems to have put a little stop to their galloping all over the globe of spurious assignments.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭TimmyTarmac

This annoys me.

Thats not the case as far as I'm aware. They may be self employed but the production staff are not. They are staffers. All RTE gets is Pat Kenny's sharp wit or Gerry Ryan's toilet experiences. It's up to the well paid producers, very well paid series producer and not so well paid broadcast assistants to work with and make the best of the particular talent.
    In short, the huge salary is a contract payment for the individual, then RTE must furnish the production staff and facilities for the show.
    This may or may not include daughter of the talent.
    It's all the one, as Flutt points out, John Q taxpayer takes it up the jaxy.

he heh ...speaking of daughters, I nearly pooped my panties today in a moment of weakness.

yer one Donohue, the foghorn of the Mooney Show, the presenter with the most obnoxious accent and bullhorn delivery on today's airwaves was.... yes was pimping her daughters on the airwaves.

Sweet Jesus if the little 'uns have any of their mothers lambasting delivery and sledgehammer diction, God help us all.

Hope to fcuk RTE is privatised before those pair grow up!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meeja Ireland

Any news on whether any of those overpaid saps in RTE actually have taken their salary cut.

As far as I understand it, everyone in RTE - overpaid, underpaid, sap and non-sap alike - has taken a voluntary pay cut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I hear Joe Jackson took a delivery of Three-In-One oil the other day.

The stars should be lying back doing the nixer gigs around now, while John Q Taxpayer foots the bill for repeats and tapes over the busy holiday season.

Nice little number they have out there, although the new head seems to have put a little stop to their galloping all over the globe of spurious assignments.

Bah, humbug , Is it that time of year already ?

Indeed, not least when the license payer has to make do with repeats and the usual shyte churned out at this time of year.

Ce la vie:D

IS THERE ANYBODY OUT THERE?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭Dan Dare

Just nod if you can hear me.:pac:

Is there anyone home?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

There is no gain that I'm receiving...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭goingpostal

In outer space, no one can hear you scream.....

• Advertisement

Thank God for the BBC..... a proper service and it's free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

The following post is a collection of Diabhal Beag's most memorable posts from 2009. Please be aware that any texys sent in will not be read out etc.

This is basically an example of what I've been hearing today

Meanwhile BBC5 Live have full commentaries on 3 premier matches/analysis and one Championship match,reporters at all grounds filing reports.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 873 ✭✭✭More Music

Thank God for the BBC..... a proper service and it's free.

Somebody's paying for it (on your behalf)!

I tip my cap to them so:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

It's me when I am doing my shopping in the north. ;)

What I want to know is where is Joe Jackson???

he was all over the place like a bad rash anuraid, but not a word so far this year:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭TimmyTarmac

It seems that Brendan Balfe's number was speed dial choice for Christmas '09 among lazy ass middle management at Montrose. His usual 'sound of the frikken century' - news clips and pop songs gets yet another airing this week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

What I want to know is where is Joe Jackson???

he was all over the place like a bad rash anuraid, but not a word so far this year:eek:
    http://www.rte.ie/radio1/joejacksonsjukebox/

• Advertisement

Holy camole, he hasn't gone away.

Tks for the info

Advertisement