Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brexit issues / bike24.com

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,453 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

half the order from crc arrived yesterday no charges (well it was ordered before jan1st)

• Registered Users Posts: 45 macapaca

half the order from crc arrived yesterday no charges (well it was ordered before jan1st)

Same. Fastway showed up- no charges. Ordered prior to the 1st so happy days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,121 ✭✭✭G1032

CRC order was delivered yesterday. No charges (but was ordered on 31st)
    My order from Hambini from 6th Jan is out for delivery with An Post. No word yet about VAT charges but we'll see when they deliver.

On another note
    Ordered a front derailleur from cyclesuperstore on Jan 4th. Trying to buy from Irish stores if prices are reasonable.
    The derailleur was showing as in stock when I ordered it.
    Mailed them yesterday to see where it was and they replied today telling me they are waiting on an order from Shimano to come in.
    That's not good enough. Showing items as in stock when they're not so you won't bring your custom elsewhere. Bad business. Putting me right off ordering from them again, especially if it's something I need relatively urgently. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 110 ✭✭Lemon3

On CRC today, if I change destination form UK to Ireland, i get a greatly reduced selection of bikes available. Selecting MTBs alone changes fro 163 to 33. Obviously most stuff is out of stock, but you cant even view it with Ireland selected. This seems to apply to other EU countries too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭The tax man

The cyclesuperstore website is a complete joke. Never believe anything it tells you. It's been the same for years, the amount of wasted journeys friends and myself have made to the store thinking they had stock of products is beyond a joke.
    Luckily I worked around the corner from the shop so wasn't too bad but I pity the people that make longer journeys to the store only to find out they've fallen foul of that website.

• Advertisement

The cyclesuperstore website is a complete joke. Never believe anything it tells you. It's been the same for years, the amount of wasted journeys friends and myself have made to the store thinking they had stock of products is beyond a joke.
    Luckily I worked around the corner from the shop so wasn't too bad but I pity the people that make longer journeys to the store only to find out they've fallen foul of that website.

Cheers! Never knew that. Lesson learned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,484 ✭✭✭Macy0161

G1032 wrote: »
    Cheers! Never knew that. Lesson learned.
    Me too, nearly pulled the trigger on service parts as they were "in stock" and posting. Will hang fire now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr. Cats

CRC delivery today from Fastway. Ordered 2nd Jan and dispatched on 4th. No Vat. Value was €95.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Surprises me, cos the owner used to be absolutely fastidious about stock control. He had a proper computerised stock database as far back as 1995, which was rare for a relatively small shop.
    If you built a bike and put it onto the shop floor before he gave you a stock tag for it, he'd go mad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭wpd

struggling to understand vat etc after brexit

if i order a bike from bowman cycles will i be charged VAT in the UK and then have to pay VAT on delivery
    or should Bowman invoice me with no VAT to Irish address

help appreciated

thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

wpd wrote: »

if i order a bike from bowman cycles will i be charged VAT in the UK and then have to pay VAT on delivery

help appreciated

thanks

I'm not sure about UK/Brexit tax but when I ordered my Rose, I was living in Switzerland and I didn't pay the German tax, just the Swiss one. Rose did this for me at source (saved me 9%, so I was delighted)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Tony04

On another note
    Ordered a front derailleur from cyclesuperstore on Jan 4th. Trying to buy from Irish stores if prices are reasonable.
    The derailleur was showing as in stock when I ordered it.
    Mailed them yesterday to see where it was and they replied today telling me they are waiting on an order from Shimano to come in.
    That's not good enough. Showing items as in stock when they're not so you won't bring your custom elsewhere. Bad business. Putting me right off ordering from them again, especially if it's something I need relatively urgently. :mad:
    Most LBSs should stock 10/11 speed front derailleurs if you need it urgently.
    Tbf though supply systems for lbss are not great atm as wholesalers are mostly sold out.
    Marrey bikes are good for next day delivery

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

help appreciated

thanks

YMMV, caveat emptor and usual disclaimers apply - this is my interpretation of the rules.

Uk should not charge vat, and you will then be liable for irish vat. I would confirm that with Bowman first tho, as some UK companies have not looked into the intricacies of trade after brexit. If the frame is not produced in the UK, you may also be subject to rules of origin tariffs, which is about 14% on bike frames iirc.

Really, bowman should be able to answer you on the vat, but who knows on the rules of origin stuff. That comes down to where the tubing was manufactured, revenue, codes & percentages. it's a mess. A lot of the issues are that at the moment, things are imported to UK from outside of UK, where value is added, and then presented for exportation to the eu. Because of rules of origin, there needs to be a value add above a certain % for the item to be considered of UK oroigin, and hence tariff free. If the value add in UK is below the %, then the item is considered as imported from outside the EU/UK and the applicable tariff is charged.

UK used to be a hub for a lot of EU deliveries, where they would import things from outside of the bloc, and then distribute. This is no longer possible due to rules of origin, with the result that UK items cannot be moved freely throughout the EU. It's a mess (hence the supply chain issues, retailers not selling into/out of the uk, lack of food in some shops etc)

edit, so, it appears that bowman frames are made in Taiwan, which afaik, would attract a 14% tariff. The Bowman site says rest of world Price is 662.50 (ex taxes), with shipping of 25.

Rough calculations would suggest the following ball park cost for this frame shipped, and taxed including duty etc to Ireland.

662.50+25 converted to Euro is 770.30
    add duty of 14% to give 878.14
    add 21% VAT = 1062.55

So, if those calculations are correct (i think they are ball park, but again, im no expert), you could be hit with a bill of about 300 euros when the frame lands, covering vat & duties.

for reference, the current UK price is equivalent to about 890 euros, which would have been the price you would pay last year under the eu rules. It's about 17% more expensive to buy now (if my maths are correct)

Tony04 wrote: »
    Most LBSs should stock 10/11 speed front derailleurs if you need it urgently.
    Tbf though supply systems for lbss are not great atm as wholesalers are mostly sold out.
    Marrey bikes are good for next day delivery

I called to Marrey Bikes in person to buy the derailleur. It was showing as in stock there too. 30 minute drive to the shop only to be told they had no 11 speed derailleur in stock. I showed them the webpage detailing the derailleur in stock. "Well, we don't have any here"

I had actually intended giving them the bike to install it and see if they could have a look at another issue I was having with the bike. Had the bike in the shop with me. I was told before I left that even if they did have the derailleur they wouldn't fit it for me because the bike wasn't bought there.............. I've given them enough custom even if that particular bike wasn't bought there. Irish bike shops not doing themselves any favours lately it seems

In other news :) my bearings arrived from Hambini. Customs declaration on the back. No vat charged. Happy days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭wpd

lennymc wrote: »
    YMMV, caveat emptor and usual disclaimers apply - this is my interpretation of the rules.

Uk should not charge vat, and you will then be liable for irish vat. I would confirm that with Bowman first tho, as some UK companies have not looked into the intricacies of trade after brexit. If the frame is not produced in the UK, you may also be subject to rules of origin tariffs, which is about 14% on bike frames iirc.

Really, bowman should be able to answer you on the vat, but who knows on the rules of origin stuff. That comes down to where the tubing was manufactured, revenue, codes & percentages. it's a mess. A lot of the issues are that at the moment, things are imported to UK from outside of UK, where value is added, and then presented for exportation to the eu. Because of rules of origin, there needs to be a value add above a certain % for the item to be considered of UK oroigin, and hence tariff free. If the value add in UK is below the %, then the item is considered as imported from outside the EU/UK and the applicable tariff is charged.

UK used to be a hub for a lot of EU deliveries, where they would import things from outside of the bloc, and then distribute. This is no longer possible due to rules of origin, with the result that UK items cannot be moved freely throughout the EU. It's a mess (hence the supply chain issues, retailers not selling into/out of the uk, lack of food in some shops etc)

great thanks for the comprehensive answer

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I'm not sure about UK/Brexit tax but when I ordered my Rose, I was living in Switzerland and I didn't pay the German tax, just the Swiss one. Rose did this for me at source (saved me 9%, so I was delighted)

Once you are inside the EU this is standard practice for any business that is large enough, sometimes you get lucky and they are a small business and charge you the local VAT which is typically less than Ireland.

great thanks for the comprehensive answer

np - not sure if you saw, but i edited it to include a worked example of my understanding - would be interested to know if you go ahead with the order, and how it works out for you.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,000 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

I'm not answering the door or emails for the forseeable then.........:D:D

Bike arrived this arvo from CR/Wig.
    Fastway.

Gave my son instructions to pay a certain amount of duties, set a ceiling, not to go above that amount or they can have the bike back.

Zero charge. Zero VAT / import tax whatever you want to call it.

Ordered Jan 1st.

(expecting some contact from authorities to be honest)

Lemon3 wrote: »
    On CRC today, if I change destination form UK to Ireland, i get a greatly reduced selection of bikes available. Selecting MTBs alone changes fro 163 to 33. Obviously most stuff is out of stock, but you cant even view it with Ireland selected. This seems to apply to other EU countries too.

Wow!
    Just tried that.......everything in stock it seems compared to the Irish setting. All the bikes there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 315 ✭✭rodneyTrotter.

seamus wrote: »
    Surprises me, cos the owner used to be absolutely fastidious about stock control. He had a proper computerised stock database as far back as 1995, which was rare for a relatively small shop.
    If you built a bike and put it onto the shop floor before he gave you a stock tag for it, he'd go mad.

Is that ray ? - haven’t seen him in ages - they usually have a lot of staff there so surprised they can’t get it right . I’ll say something though that 12.5% has worked out handy in the past on a couple of rothar I bought .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭letape

CramCycle wrote: »
    Once you are inside the EU this is standard practice for any business that is large enough, sometimes you get lucky and they are a small business and charge you the local VAT which is typically less than Ireland.

No I think in the case you commented on the bike was being sold to triggermortis in Switzerland, outside the EU and Rose charged him the Swiss vat as opposed the the German rate.

From my experience, most German retailers apply German vat when selling to other countries in the EU.

letape wrote: »
    No I think in the case you commented on the bike was being sold to triggermortis in Switzerland, outside the EU and Rose charged him the Swiss vat as opposed the the German rate.

From my experience, most German retailers apply German vat when selling to other countries in the EU.

Missed the Swiss bit. Rose and Bike Components both apply Irish VAT to any of my orders in the last year, my understanding is that over a certain amount of business you have to apply the local EU VAT amount if shipping to that country

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,658 ✭✭✭✭ted1

letape wrote: »

any company selling over 70k in to Ireland must register for and charge Irish VAT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,240 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

ted1 wrote: »
    any company selling over 70k in to Ireland must register for and charge Irish VAT.

Microsoft seemed that have either slipped that requirement, or made a mess of their implementation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭barrabus

if you purchase from a NI website such as MCCovney Cycles. are you liable for import or other other charges.

barrabus wrote: »
    if you purchase from a NI website such as MCCovney Cycles. are you liable for import or other other charges.

I don't think so

Someone let us know when German sites are back posting to Ireland please.

Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

Planet X wrote: »

Cheers.

DHL are supposed to be resuming freight to Ireland tomorrow so there's a chance the sites could be back to happily taking our money soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Bike discount seem to be accepting orders for Ireland. I didn't go through with the order but I got as far as the confirmation page and DPD were listed as couriers for the usual €9.99

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

CheGuedara wrote: »
    DHL are supposed to be resuming freight to Ireland tomorrow so there's a chance the sites could be back to happily taking our money soon

Bike24 is back in the game

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Planet X wrote: »

Cheers.

Bike-discount certainly are. Also got stuff delivered from amazon.de this week, took 9 working days FWIW.

I got a bike components delivery this week, about 7 days door to door, arrive via An Post via DHL. DHL hold it for a few days to presumably fill a plane but no real major delay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 291 ✭✭victor201

Waiting on disc rotors from pro bikekit ,in DPD sortation depot( presume in uk) since the 8th ,hopefully arrive soon and without any extra costs added :)

bike24.com ........cheaper than CR (for some items)

Bought a pair of tyres and tubes and, incl. the €10 postage, still cheaper. Delivery is good, no fannying about.
    German efficiency.....I grudgingly agree with in this instance. :pac::pac::pac:

I'll have a slice.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 ardcat

A couple of buying experiences since late November. Placed order with bike24 27th Nov for items that declared quantity stock (caught out with 1 item in stock a few times with bike24). Acknowledgement slow then shipping email 17 Dec by DPD. Enjoyed Christmas and New Years eve in former E German centre and finally delivered Tuesday Jan 5th. 3rd recent incidence of tardy shipping of “in stock” items from bike24 so won be ordering unless I’m absolutely stuck.

Ordered helmet last Friday from lordgun.com an Italian website I’ve used before. Quick, honest information (free delivery but with An Post and informed info regarding their delays). Went with Fedex, which would not be my favoured shipper arrived this morning €10.

Ordered from starbike.com, a list of unusual stuff (CX Ray spokes, White Industries hubs) that only bike24 could normally possibly supply. Usual they’re a bit slow but this time 2 day response from order to shipping info. Lets see how long it takes.

None of the usual UK websites are offering supply NETT of VAT so won’t be relying on them until they update their sites.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 macapaca

Ordered from Merlin end of Dec and still not arrived. Previous orders showed on Fedex as shipping from NL.

Latest order departed Basildon Dec 30th and still no sign. Merlin basically telling me to wait because of know delays and should show up soon. 2 weeks a bit much though.

Anyone else received from them over last 2 weeks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭jimm

SJS https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/ not delivering to Ireland

"Sorry, but we are unable to deliver to your delivery address on the web site. Please try a different address or contact our customer care team"

Shame, as it was always my go-to site for small parts unavailable elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,484 ✭✭✭Macy0161

jimm wrote: »
    SJS https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/ not delivering to Ireland

"Sorry, but we are unable to deliver to your delivery address on the web site. Please try a different address or contact our customer care team"

Shame, as it was always my go-to site for small parts unavailable elsewhere.
    Me too, and if my project bike ever gets moving I was planning on using them. I guess I still could, via addresspal, for small bits.

i think my strategy for dealing with brexit is to completely bypass the uk for pretty much everything now, which is a shame, but aint nobody got time to be worrying how much duty you may or may not be charged on something that may or may not turn up eventually....

513f6b916bb3f7715c000012?width=750&format=jpeg&auto=webp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 851 ✭✭✭GlennaMaddy

lennymc wrote: »
    i think my strategy for dealing with brexit is to completely bypass the uk for pretty much everything now, ...
    That was my strategy too, but my Alltricks order from Paris is now in Eindhoven NL, thanks to DPD, and I got a DPD UK notification when it arrived there, so it looks like its going via the UK next, but hopefully avoiding duty when it arrives in IE. I've another CRC order stuck in customs too. I did try buying local online first but couldn't get what I wanted here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,453 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

see how good bike components are now just thrown an order In for stuff no bike shop in Ireland appeared to have in stock

That was my strategy too, but my Alltricks order from Paris is now in Eindhoven NL, thanks to DPD, and I got a DPD UK notification when it arrived there, so it looks like its going via the UK next, but hopefully avoiding duty when it arrives in IE. I've another CRC order stuck in customs too. I did try buying local online first but couldn't get what I wanted here

you shouldn't be charged any duty etc as the order originated within the eu, and will be delivered to the EU.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭D13exile

Bike24 won't ship many items to Ireland. Plus there's a long wait time on some items. The Tacx antares rollers are 22 weeks delivery!!!!!

Perhaps we need a dedicated thread for bike shops outside the UK post Brexit. I've used Mantel and Deporvillage in the past. There should be others who have good prices and just as importantly, short delivery times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 649 ✭✭✭TGD

smacl wrote: »
    Bike-discount certainly are. Also got stuff delivered from amazon.de this week, took 9 working days FWIW.

I am looking at Amazon.de for non-bike related stuff as an alternative to UK. I see what I want but the source is actually China. If I purchase it via Amazon.de is it a EU transatction or am I subject to customs and VAT from China do you know?

I guess we will all have to 'build new supply chains'!

Since Brexit I've had inner gear cables and DA housing ordered from England.
    I had Jagwire cable liners ordered from England.
    I had a top ordered from Victory Chimp.
    I've had BB bearings ordered from England.
    I had a few bits ordered from CRC on Dec 31st.

All these have arrived safe and sound with no taxes.

On Jan 4th I placed an order with CSS. It's the only order I've placed since Brexit that hasn't arrived. The only order I placed with an Irish shop. Why bother trying to support local when that's the service offered. Mailed them this morning asking for a refund and to cancel the order altogether. Needless to say I got no reply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Since Brexit I've had inner gear cables and DA housing ordered from England.
    I had Jagwire cable liners ordered from England.
    I had a top ordered from Victory Chimp.
    I've had BB bearings ordered from England.
    I had a few bits ordered from CRC on Dec 31st.

All these have arrived safe and sound with no taxes.

On Jan 4th I placed an order with CSS. It's the only order I've placed since Brexit that hasn't arrived. The only order I placed with an Irish shop. Why bother trying to support local when that's the service offered. Mailed them this morning asking for a refund and to cancel the order altogether. Needless to say I got no reply.

I'd be prepared to give them a break. It's only two weeks into this and there are delays everywhere. On the Motoring forum there are lads over there looking for car parts in order to pass NCTs and they're in the same position. Suppliers here awaiting stock from UK & the EU.

I've a parcel sitting in Oirschot NL since last Monday. Price was good for package and delivery so I'll give them another week before I start beginning to raise the blood pressure.

Started a lost parcel claim with CRC. More fool me for breaking my rule and ordering from them. I could have gotten the item from bike components for only the difference in postage and I wish I had. Never again. Fastway claim its sitting in my shop beside work, the shop owner had some choice words about Fastway. They have simply a pile of parcels in the corner of the shop, no scan in, scan out he just hands it to people as they ask. Never again. At this point I hope they don't find the parcel and refund me the money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭D13exile

I also tried to shop local post Brexit and I ordered some bar end lights and a new front light from eurocycles in Dublin, all of which were allegedly “in stock” when I placed the order on the 2nd. No sign of it arriving by yesterday and so I emailed them and was told they were awaiting delivery from their suppliers in the UK, of items that were said to be “in stock” when I ordered them two weeks ago. Funny how they can take your money immediately but then take their time handing over your purchased goods. Makes you think back fondly of the days before online shopping when you could walk in to a shop, pay your money and walk out with the stuff you wanted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

I tried the shopping local thing this week for a front light for the gravel bike, it was more so because I had a one4all voucher than actually avoiding brexit issues. You'd think this time of year there'd be a good selection in stock but nope. I actually think Halfords had more in stock than some places and when I asked I was told they could order something in but there's bad delays at the minute.

I ended up ordering from cyclesuperstore a light which should be ok but I'd rather something else. Also bought a few other bits to wipe out the voucher but I was surprised at the amount of things out of stock.

I must say......the tracking info from dhl.de is really sharp.

Just back from Joe Daly's. Picked up a Cateye Mounting bracket, the Flextight ones. That worked out perfectly as well. I "Messenger'd" the shop this morning and got a swift reply, in stock. Cycled over and got sorted. Great service also!

(Hollingsworth also replied to a FB Messenger very promptly)

• Advertisement
Advertisement