Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit issues / bike24.com

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Planet X wrote: »
    Someone let us know when German sites are back posting to Ireland please.

Cheers.

Bike-discount certainly are. Also got stuff delivered from amazon.de this week, took 9 working days FWIW.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I got a bike components delivery this week, about 7 days door to door, arrive via An Post via DHL. DHL hold it for a few days to presumably fill a plane but no real major delay.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭victor201

Waiting on disc rotors from pro bikekit ,in DPD sortation depot( presume in uk) since the 8th ,hopefully arrive soon and without any extra costs added :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,927 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

bike24.com ........cheaper than CR (for some items)

Bought a pair of tyres and tubes and, incl. the €10 postage, still cheaper. Delivery is good, no fannying about.
    German efficiency.....I grudgingly agree with in this instance. :pac::pac::pac:

I'll have a slice.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 ardcat

A couple of buying experiences since late November. Placed order with bike24 27th Nov for items that declared quantity stock (caught out with 1 item in stock a few times with bike24). Acknowledgement slow then shipping email 17 Dec by DPD. Enjoyed Christmas and New Years eve in former E German centre and finally delivered Tuesday Jan 5th. 3rd recent incidence of tardy shipping of “in stock” items from bike24 so won be ordering unless I’m absolutely stuck.

Ordered helmet last Friday from lordgun.com an Italian website I’ve used before. Quick, honest information (free delivery but with An Post and informed info regarding their delays). Went with Fedex, which would not be my favoured shipper arrived this morning €10.

Ordered from starbike.com, a list of unusual stuff (CX Ray spokes, White Industries hubs) that only bike24 could normally possibly supply. Usual they’re a bit slow but this time 2 day response from order to shipping info. Lets see how long it takes.

None of the usual UK websites are offering supply NETT of VAT so won’t be relying on them until they update their sites.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 macapaca

Ordered from Merlin end of Dec and still not arrived. Previous orders showed on Fedex as shipping from NL.

Latest order departed Basildon Dec 30th and still no sign. Merlin basically telling me to wait because of know delays and should show up soon. 2 weeks a bit much though.

Anyone else received from them over last 2 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭jimm

SJS https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/ not delivering to Ireland

"Sorry, but we are unable to deliver to your delivery address on the web site. Please try a different address or contact our customer care team"

Shame, as it was always my go-to site for small parts unavailable elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,290 ✭✭✭Macy0161

jimm wrote: »
    SJS https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/ not delivering to Ireland

"Sorry, but we are unable to deliver to your delivery address on the web site. Please try a different address or contact our customer care team"

Shame, as it was always my go-to site for small parts unavailable elsewhere.
    Me too, and if my project bike ever gets moving I was planning on using them. I guess I still could, via addresspal, for small bits.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

i think my strategy for dealing with brexit is to completely bypass the uk for pretty much everything now, which is a shame, but aint nobody got time to be worrying how much duty you may or may not be charged on something that may or may not turn up eventually....

513f6b916bb3f7715c000012?width=750&format=jpeg&auto=webp

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭GlennaMaddy

lennymc wrote: »
    i think my strategy for dealing with brexit is to completely bypass the uk for pretty much everything now, ...
    That was my strategy too, but my Alltricks order from Paris is now in Eindhoven NL, thanks to DPD, and I got a DPD UK notification when it arrived there, so it looks like its going via the UK next, but hopefully avoiding duty when it arrives in IE. I've another CRC order stuck in customs too. I did try buying local online first but couldn't get what I wanted here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

see how good bike components are now just thrown an order In for stuff no bike shop in Ireland appeared to have in stock

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

That was my strategy too, but my Alltricks order from Paris is now in Eindhoven NL, thanks to DPD, and I got a DPD UK notification when it arrived there, so it looks like its going via the UK next, but hopefully avoiding duty when it arrives in IE. I've another CRC order stuck in customs too. I did try buying local online first but couldn't get what I wanted here

you shouldn't be charged any duty etc as the order originated within the eu, and will be delivered to the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭D13exile

Bike24 won't ship many items to Ireland. Plus there's a long wait time on some items. The Tacx antares rollers are 22 weeks delivery!!!!!

Perhaps we need a dedicated thread for bike shops outside the UK post Brexit. I've used Mantel and Deporvillage in the past. There should be others who have good prices and just as importantly, short delivery times.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭TGD

smacl wrote: »
    Bike-discount certainly are. Also got stuff delivered from amazon.de this week, took 9 working days FWIW.

I am looking at Amazon.de for non-bike related stuff as an alternative to UK. I see what I want but the source is actually China. If I purchase it via Amazon.de is it a EU transatction or am I subject to customs and VAT from China do you know?

I guess we will all have to 'build new supply chains'!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,952 ✭✭✭G1032

Since Brexit I've had inner gear cables and DA housing ordered from England.
    I had Jagwire cable liners ordered from England.
    I had a top ordered from Victory Chimp.
    I've had BB bearings ordered from England.
    I had a few bits ordered from CRC on Dec 31st.

All these have arrived safe and sound with no taxes.

On Jan 4th I placed an order with CSS. It's the only order I've placed since Brexit that hasn't arrived. The only order I placed with an Irish shop. Why bother trying to support local when that's the service offered. Mailed them this morning asking for a refund and to cancel the order altogether. Needless to say I got no reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,774 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

G1032 wrote: »

On Jan 4th I placed an order with CSS. It's the only order I've placed since Brexit that hasn't arrived. The only order I placed with an Irish shop. Why bother trying to support local when that's the service offered. Mailed them this morning asking for a refund and to cancel the order altogether. Needless to say I got no reply.

I'd be prepared to give them a break. It's only two weeks into this and there are delays everywhere. On the Motoring forum there are lads over there looking for car parts in order to pass NCTs and they're in the same position. Suppliers here awaiting stock from UK & the EU.

I've a parcel sitting in Oirschot NL since last Monday. Price was good for package and delivery so I'll give them another week before I start beginning to raise the blood pressure.

Started a lost parcel claim with CRC. More fool me for breaking my rule and ordering from them. I could have gotten the item from bike components for only the difference in postage and I wish I had. Never again. Fastway claim its sitting in my shop beside work, the shop owner had some choice words about Fastway. They have simply a pile of parcels in the corner of the shop, no scan in, scan out he just hands it to people as they ask. Never again. At this point I hope they don't find the parcel and refund me the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭D13exile

I also tried to shop local post Brexit and I ordered some bar end lights and a new front light from eurocycles in Dublin, all of which were allegedly “in stock” when I placed the order on the 2nd. No sign of it arriving by yesterday and so I emailed them and was told they were awaiting delivery from their suppliers in the UK, of items that were said to be “in stock” when I ordered them two weeks ago. Funny how they can take your money immediately but then take their time handing over your purchased goods. Makes you think back fondly of the days before online shopping when you could walk in to a shop, pay your money and walk out with the stuff you wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

I tried the shopping local thing this week for a front light for the gravel bike, it was more so because I had a one4all voucher than actually avoiding brexit issues. You'd think this time of year there'd be a good selection in stock but nope. I actually think Halfords had more in stock than some places and when I asked I was told they could order something in but there's bad delays at the minute.

I ended up ordering from cyclesuperstore a light which should be ok but I'd rather something else. Also bought a few other bits to wipe out the voucher but I was surprised at the amount of things out of stock.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,927 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

I must say......the tracking info from dhl.de is really sharp.

Just back from Joe Daly's. Picked up a Cateye Mounting bracket, the Flextight ones. That worked out perfectly as well. I "Messenger'd" the shop this morning and got a swift reply, in stock. Cycled over and got sorted. Great service also!

(Hollingsworth also replied to a FB Messenger very promptly)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Mantel are delivering, no problem with UPS. Ordered a cassette this day last week and it's just after arriving.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,587 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Does anyone know if I will get a tax bill if I order from CRC, Wiggle or Evans and have they sorted the delivery problems?

Or is there any good sites in the EU for buying clothing?

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭jrby

La passione. Got some tops and bib shorts. Arrived fairly quickly, just over a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭burger1979

jrby wrote: »
    La passione. Got some tops and bib shorts. Arrived fairly quickly, just over a week.

have you gotten their gear before? whats is like? Was looking at their site and some of the jerseys are nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭GlennaMaddy

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if I will get a tax bill if I order from CRC, Wiggle or Evans and have they sorted the delivery problems?

Or is there any good sites in the EU for buying clothing?
    CRCWiggle are absorbing costs. Mantel, Deporvillage and Alltricks have decent clothing range, but try cycletribe.ie first, as clothes seems to be their thing.
    Delays are worse from UK but there are also delays from EU. Galibier and Victorychimp are in NI btw

• Registered Users Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

got a delivery from epic bleed solutions ordered on the 14 jan arrived on 18 th jan

• Registered Users Posts: 24,587 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Thanks I'll give them all a look.
    Already found some retro team caps on bike24 that caught my eye

• Registered Users Posts: 6,952 ✭✭✭G1032

G1032 wrote: »

I contacted CSS again today. They replied telling me that they don't know when the Shimano order will be in. Order has been cancelled now and I've been refunded.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭S_D

Ordered from sigma sports and they sorted all the fee's. much cheaper to buy from there over any of the other online shops for shoes! cant argue with that

• Advertisement

How are CRC absorbing costs, are they paying revenue directly or are they getting there courier to send back the costs to them. Seems very odd, once it goes over 150€ they have to pay custom duty. I presume that's why they have stopped selling bikes to us so as to avoid dumping tax.

Advertisement