Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mart Price Tracker

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Miname

Sold a few ch weanlings today. June born 340-390 kg. 580-670 along with their weight. Happy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Miname wrote: »
    Sold a few ch weanlings today. June born 340-390 kg. 580-670 along with their weight. Happy enough.

Good money , was that in the west . Did you see any black bull weanlins selling and was there any go on them ?

Bullocks wrote: »
    Good money , was that in the west . Did you see any black bull weanlins selling and was there any go on them ?

East. A few went through, there weren't many buyers for them. I'd say it's a shade early yet and probably should have held mine another few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭davidk1394

I take it they were dry cows?

Yeah not in calf

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭dh1985

Bulls or heifers Miname

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭farming93

I sold two Angus Heifers in the Mart one was sick as a calf and weighed 380kg for which I got 850 for her I was happy enough with that but the other Heifer was mud fat weighed 482kg and I got 870 for her, she was only any good for the factory or for a butcher but I had to get rid of her to free space. Was I taken for a ride or what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

farming93 wrote: »
    I sold two Angus Heifers in the Mart one was sick as a calf and weighed 380kg for which I got 850 for her I was happy enough with that but the other Heifer was mud fat weighed 482kg and I got 870 for her, she was only any good for the factory or for a butcher but I had to get rid of her to free space. Was I taken for a ride or what?

Overfat animals in any mart won't sell well. A butcher will be thinking of the waste off of the carcass, a farmer won't want her for breeding & fatteners won't have her as she's already overdone compared to others they'll want to pen her with.

The lighter one could have simply been a nicer animal too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

The butcher buys in pennies and the farmer buys with pounds was the auld sayin.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Someyolk

What sort of money are yearling Friesian bullocks making round 300kg? Are there many about?

Someyolk wrote: »
    What sort of money are yearling Friesian bullocks making round 300kg? Are there many about?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Butcher Boy

in macroom on Saturday 260 kgs fr made 595.

They'd be good value at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭welton john

Someyolk wrote: »
    Was at the mart in killmallock last week and good fr bullocks around that weight making 2/kg. quality will have alot to do with them

Must be a different story around you lads but there isn't a friesain around me making e2 a kilo. Black limos suckler bred only getting that and a bit maybe.

Must be a different story around you lads but there isn't a friesain around me making e2 a kilo. Black limos suckler bred only getting that and a bit maybe.

Plan on buying a few in the next couple of weeks. €1.80 a kg would be plenty for them.

good square bf type making it down here and a tad with it. plainer ones back a good bit from that

• Registered Users Posts: 18,188 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Young cattle 250-400kgs (2015 cattle) are making stupid money in places. Hard to see some of these cattle turning a margin at the end of the year. Those Friesians might be lucky to make 1.5/kg at the end of the year and might be back as far as 1.3/kg.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 10,697 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

It's gas on this thread. You can always tell who's selling and who's buying.:D

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

They are going to be a hard sell this back end.. As bass reeves says 1.50 a kg will catch em then. So take a 500 kg at 750 in October all you can afford to give for 300kg be 450 at this stage if want a twist out of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭marathon

What would an Angus heifer born march 14 weighing 500 k and blk limo heifer weighing 450 k make?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Willfarman wrote: »
    They are going to be a hard sell this back end.. As bass reeves says 1.50 a kg will catch em then. So take a 500 kg at 750 in October all you can afford to give for 300kg be 450 at this stage if want a twist out of them.
    Sure when did the man that is summer grazing ever worry about a twist 😂
    Beef prices are holding steady for some strange reason with numbers well up. Not high enough I know for the prices paid for stores last autumn but still I would have imagined with a kill of 34k a week the price would have slipped.
    Maybe things mightn't be too bad come year end.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,219 ✭✭✭tanko

Cavanjack wrote: »
    Beef prices are holding steady for some strange reason with numbers well up. Not high enough I know for the prices paid for stores last autumn but still I would have imagined with a kill of 34k a week the price would have slipped.

Prices are being kept steady until the election is over I reckon, it'll be interesting to see what happens after next week, especially if it doesn't stop raining.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

tanko wrote: »
    Prices are being kept steady until the election is over I reckon, it'll be interesting to see what happens after next week, especially if it doesn't stop raining.

Don't think Larry and co give a hoot about what happens in Leinster house and we've seen over the last 2 years that simon can do nothing to influence the price.

Cavanjack wrote: »
    tanko wrote: »

Nothing to do with the election. As it is most lads are making nothing on cattle out of sheds. Processors biggest issue is to get finishers to put more cattle finishing and to continue feeding young bulls over the next 3-4 weeks. These are the cattle they will need during May and June. According to last weeks Journal some of these finishers are considering squeezing bulls up to and over 400 kgs and selling in the mart as they see little or no margin finishing them.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Wes Palmer Lee

marathon wrote: »
    What would an Angus heifer born march 14 weighing 500 k and blk limo heifer weighing 450 k make?

If nice sorts suitable for breeding I'd say 1150 and 1200+

If Plain Janes then 200 less each..

Has anyone seen any good quality Cows+Calves sold ?

If nice sorts suitable for breeding I'd say 1150 and 1200+

If Plain Janes then 200 less each..

Has anyone seen any good quality Cows+Calves sold ?

Where are people getting these prices for dairy bred stock. Are people seriously going to give 1200 for an Angus to bull? The majority of them can be bought springing down for that money. I be been to a fair few marts the last while and I'd say there's a lot on here in for a serious shock between friesains averaging €2 a kilo and 4-500 kilo dairy bred heifers making 1200.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭marathon

What you reckon they worth?

Where are people getting these prices for dairy bred stock. Are people seriously going to give 1200 for an Angus to bull? The majority of them can be bought springing down for that money. I be been to a fair few marts the last while and I'd say there's a lot on here in for a serious shock between friesains averaging €2 a kilo and 4-500 kilo dairy bred heifers making 1200.

I have to agree.

https://www.donedeal.ie/beefcattle-for-sale/50-british-friesian-weanling-bullocks/11394861

Saw these on DD just now. According to the Add they are 300-330kgs. So averaging 315kgs. I doubt it (another limerick man used to say it Croker). More than likly 280kgs ( and maybe less) with a nice sprinkling of HOish in some of them.

If 280 kgs and they put 220 on during the summer, they would be 500kgs at housing. IMO they would still not be finishable over the winter. If you put 60kgs on over a 120 day winter indoors and left them back to grass and put another 120kgs on them before you killed them in August/Sept. They be killing 340ishkgs maybe.

At present base they would make 1250/head. Even if you bough them at 530 it is 720 euro to carry them for 18 months. If you get them another 20kgs DW heavier it is another 75 euro. Now if you look at the outlook for next year there will be a lot of 2015 cattle to kill way up on this and last year so a base down near 3.5/kg may be more realistic remember 2014. It is not that long ago. So now at 350DW they are only making 1150.

I have already made up my mind unless FR like this are 1.2/kg at the end of the year I am not buying. HE and AA 1.5-1.6/kg is the most I will be paying. IMO 2015 cattle in the spring of 2017 will be a hard sell good stores will be way back off present prices. The light stores at present are way over valued.

Slava Ukrainii

there in black and white for you, like i said IF they were good stock they would make 2/kg did not say average.agree tho aa never make that http://farmersforum.ie/data/marts/kilmallock_cattle_mart_2016-02-08_1455034707.pdf

• Advertisement

marathon wrote: »
    What you reckon they worth?

Presuming there half middling they should come in around a grand .

Advertisement