Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mart Price Tracker

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Miname

there in black and white for you, like i said IF they were good stock they would make 2/kg did not say average.agree tho aa never make that http://farmersforum.ie/data/marts/kilmallock_cattle_mart_2016-02-08_1455034707.pdf

There in black and white some friesains made 2 a kilo and then 1250 beside it that's a different ball park altogether, they went straight to the factory more than likely and were there to fill an agents quota. And also if you read over you'll see 1150 never mind 1200 is way over for the 2 heifers. People need to be realistic everyone thinks they have the best stock until they are standing in a pen next to the neighbours average ones. I don't finish that often and only buy in replacements or heifers but I go out and research what stock makes. There are far too many people mention the cattle at 3€ a kilo and forget about the lads that sold At 1.20€. I got caught with a load of friesains Bulls a couple of years ago and had to let them off for nothing. Any lad paying 2 a kilo would want his head examined unless they are blues disguised as friesains.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭welton john

Miname wrote: »
    There in black and white some friesains made 2 a kilo and then 1250 beside it that's a different ball park altogether, they went straight to the factory more than likely and were there to fill an agents quota. And also if you read over you'll see 1150 never mind 1200 is way over for the 2 heifers. People need to be realistic everyone thinks they have the best stock until they are standing in a pen next to the neighbours average ones. I don't finish that often and only buy in replacements or heifers but I go out and research what stock makes. There are far too many people mention the cattle at 3€ a kilo and forget about the lads that sold At 1.20€. I got caught with a load of friesains Bulls a couple of years ago and had to let them off for nothing. Any lad paying 2 a kilo would want his head examined unless they are blues disguised as friesains.

Factory fit stock has nothing to do with it.I replied to a poster asking the value of 300kg stock and i was at that mart at that particular day good quality bfr bullocks(not the average) from 250 to 350kg made 2k/g.At another mart wednesday and they were back 10/15c for similar. i just told him what they were making that day. Whether me or you think they worth that is irelevant.prices vary at different marts and if theyre cheaper your neck of the woods and your buying then all the better for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Wes Palmer Lee

If nice sorts suitable for breeding I'd say 1150 and 1200+

If Plain Janes then 200 less each..

Has anyone seen any good quality Cows+Calves sold ?

By "nice sorts" I mean suckler type stock, not Fr bred.
    Believe me, they are making it.
    I agree with last poster also. I don't particularly care whether you think they are worth it or not so don't shoot the messenger...!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,247 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

There are two articles any farmer should read in the journal this week. One is about a Kepack finishing on page 12 and the other is by Andy Doyle about grain. The Kepack lad speaking at a seminar spoke about losing 100/head on finishing weanlings and his thinking was that the weanlings were too expensive. It hard to believe that if he is losing 100/head ( he has reduced his losses to 0.2% I think) another finisher can beat that by 200/head so as to have a margin

The other article by Andy Doyle speaks about the present grain oversupply. His point is that with present over supply farmers should cease production from low yielding headlands and fields as well as from expensive conacre. He points out that market signals are not good and we are looking at lower prices than last year for product. He points out that there is so much grain in storage world wide and productions increasing that even a global events that might reduce stocks ( a late frost in Europe and the US or a poor harvest in the southern hemisphere) will not impact on price.

You might ask what has this to do with a mart price tracker thread.

I agree with last poster also. I don't particularly care whether you think they are worth it or not so don't shoot the messenger...!

Whether me or you think they worth that is irelevant.prices vary at different marts and if theyre cheaper your neck of the woods and your buying then all the better for you.

In the last few post we had a discussion on yearling FR's and a few of us pointed out with the outlook for cattle that 2/kg even for good BFr stock is a loser for the buyer. TBH at present with the outlook for 2015 cattle ( the numbers are well up) lads that buy them should not be whinging at year end if they lose a few hundred/head selling them or carrying them for slaughter.

So how do you protect yourself if you need to buy some for whatever reason. As Andy Doyle says you use what ever means possible to reduce your exposure. Buy less fertlizer, get out of rented land that is expensive, buy less cattle. A strong yearling price this year encourages those that produces these cattle to buy extra calves and pay more for them which increases the cycle of losses.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 9,229 ✭✭✭tanko

Ah, poor aul Jonathan Forbes still whinging about the price of weanlings. He wouldn't be happy if he was getting them for nothing.
    Why doesn't he rear his own, he'll be a millionaire in no time.

• Advertisement

tanko wrote: »
    Ah, poor aul Jonathan Forbes still whinging about the price of weanlings. He wouldn't be happy if he was getting them for nothing.

This has very little to do with Jonathan Forbes. The sum's are not adding up for next year. Looking at it the factory's will be imposing a weight limit of 380kgs. So if a good quality 330kg suckler weanling costs 1K in the yard what will he make at slaughter.

If you take him to 370kgs DW he will make

1554@4.2/kg
    1665@4.5/kg
    1443@3.9/kg

For base prices deduct about 20c/kg. The animal will need to double his weigh about 670/kg to achieve this DW. I agree that the suckler man needs these prices to be viable however the finisher needs a margin as well.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 10,711 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Exactly. I'd love to see those guys up ay 4AM trying to get a live calf out of a mad heifer.:D

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

€1000 for a 330kg weanling????
    I see loads of 330kg U grade weanlings sold for €820 and less every autumn.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

Not much different at the present.
    Why should our top quality weanling be kept at stupid prices & not exported to be finished in Countries where the Finisher can make a margin?
    With prices the factories are offering & weight limits, you'd need cheap dairy bred calves if they could be sourced

At present 6-9 month old weanlings off sucklers are making about that. That is what I was working my figures off
    Farrell wrote: »
    Not much different at the present.
    Why should our top quality weanling be kept at stupid prices & not exported to be finished in Countries where the Finisher can make a margin?
    With prices the factories are offering & weight limits, you'd need cheap dairy bred calves if they could be sourced

Because at present Irish farmers are paying prices for calves and weanlings that exporters cannot compete with.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭tellmeabit

hey All,
    im looking to off load a few animals, but haven't been in mart in a bit, any one want give a rough estimate at what the following are making around the country.

12 month old CH heifer about 400-430kg x 2
    and 6 month CH Bull 320kg x2.
    should the heifers be sold together or separate?

what do buyers look for, animals at a certain age or weight?
    thanks guys for any input?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Miname

tellmeabit wrote: »
    hey All,
    im looking to off load a few animals, but haven't been in mart in a bit, any one want give a rough estimate at what the following are making around the country.

950 plus for heifers 850 plus for Bulls if there is any shape to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭Robson99

tellmeabit wrote: »
    hey All,

Dont know bout bulls but heifers if U grade will make 1075 to 1150

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭J DEERE

Exactly. I'd love to see those guys up ay 4AM trying to get a live calf out of a mad heifer.:D

Any man who's up at 4am trying to get a live calf out of a mad heifer needs to take a look at his system

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

Have not stood in a mart since backend...have a few nice ChX weanlings to go in next few weeks,Bulls and heifers,born May around 320 kg.

Have heard weanlings back up to € 100 euro a head on last year.....is that the case?

Have not stood in a mart since backend...have a few nice ChX weanlings to go in next few weeks,Bulls and heifers,born May around 320 kg.

Have heard weanlings back up to € 100 euro a head on last year.....is that the case?

These are the type of cattle that are making crazy prices. The bulls are selling better than the heifers. Good Ch bulls (the redish/golden ones) 280-340 kgs are making 2.5-3/kg. If a farmer is bidding from the back he has to pay 3/kg for them. Heifers seem to be maxing out at about 2.5/kg. If these were 100kg heavier they in general would not make much more and maybe less.

I cannot see a margin for the buyer, in truth most will lose money once costs are deducted.

Slava Ukrainii

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

A few nice char bullocks 330kg brought 1170 in tullow last Friday I'm told. Sell sell sell lads!

In fairness, the guy selling these isn't making huge profits either. He has fed them for a winter now aswell.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

J DEERE wrote: »
    Any man who's up at 4am trying to get a live calf out of a mad heifer needs to take a look at his system
    Explain that one. Change to day calving heifers?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭croot

5* heifers calve during the day
    1* heifers calve at 4am........:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

These are the type of cattle that are making crazy prices. The bulls are selling better than the heifers. Good Ch bulls (the redish/golden ones) 280-340 kgs are making 2.5-3/kg. If a farmer is bidding from the back he has to pay 3/kg for them. Heifers seem to be maxing out at about 2.5/kg. If these were 100kg heavier they in general would not make much more and maybe less.

I cannot see a margin for the buyer, in truth most will lose money once costs are deducted.

So they are not back much on last year then?....good to hear trade has steadied a bit as had heard after Christmas things were v sticky....mine would not be exceptional by any means but well made straight stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Cassidy2

Willfarman wrote: »
    A few nice char bullocks 330kg brought 1170 in tullow last Friday I'm told. Sell sell sell lads!

That's unreal.How is that making sense

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Wes Palmer Lee

Yeah Mohill was crazy on Saturday too..

Plain ch Feeding Heifers 400kg making 1150+
    Nice goldie types 340kg made 1100+

A classy one for bulling 610kg made 1800

Where's it all going to end?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭Robson99

U grade chx heifers 375 to 425 kg costing 2.75 /kg. Very same as last year. However 4.05 in factory at present compared to 4.30 this time last year. Heavy cattle back but I dont see much change in the weanlings

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭cute geoge

What would one expect for july he bull 280kg good quality

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭badshot

3 bb heifers weanlings in elphin yesterday
    450 kgs 1450 euro
    395 kgs 1325 euro
    430kgs 1360 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭J DEERE

4am calvings can't be avoided at times but we have found that feeding at night certainly helps

Trying to get a live calf out of a cow insinuates that you are intervening in the calving of the cow. Using easy calving sires and controlling feed intake and management eliminates this. Too often farmers intervene when it's not necessary. Human intervention should be a last resort

Last and most important, mad heifers/cows should have no place on a farm. Saying that, all animals have the potential to be dangerous at calving which is why restraints such as a calving gate are essential on all farms if assistance is necessary

These are just basic good farming practices, shouldn't really need to explain it

Some prices i saw today

Bulls
    CHX 05/15 350 960
    LMX 04/15 335 850
    CHX 03/15 400 1090
    CHX 04/15 365 1020
    SIMX 03/15 390 840
    SIMX 04/15 380 910
    CHX 08/15 365 970
    CHX 08/15 330 890
    CHX 05/15 435 970
    CHX 06/15 435 980
    CHX 04/15 435 900
    Black Lim 05/15 420 1000
    SIM 11/14 585 1000
    SIM 10/14 490 900
    Black Lim 01/15 500 1160
    BBX 05/15 420 1090
    CHX 05/15 390 980
    Red Lim 04/15 455 1110
    CHX 06/15 360 940
    Mostly U grades and some E grades.

Cows
    10 FR 560 790
    11 FR 540 790
    12 Sim heifer 790 1470
    12 Sim heifer 815 1535
    06 AAX 855 1430
    02 FR 600 785
    05 FR 580 815
    11 FR 565 850
    10 FR 650 900
    13 SHX 610 925
    03 SIX 580 800
    09 Lim 720 1315
    12 BWH 700 1230
    12 BWH heifer 845 1440
    12 SIX heifer 640 1075
    06 CHX 715 1200
    10 FR 635 850

4am calvings can't be avoided at times but we have found that feeding at night certainly...
    I always feed in the evenings.
    ...Trying to get a live calf out of a cow insinuates that you are intervening in the calving of the cow. Using easy calving sires and controlling feed intake and management eliminates this. Too often farmers intervene when it's not necessary. Human intervention should be a last resort it
    'Trying to get a live calf out of a heifer' means just that. I never said anything about intervening too early. Legs drop down, calves come backwards. Calf may be too big. Happens in the real world despite our best efforts. I always use easy calving AI bulls on heifers and I do restrict feeding, but Sh1te happens as they say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Dozer1

cheers for those prices tanko
    one would wonder what those cattle would be in the autumn.

I have 5 heifers to go in a few weeks and a batch of heifers for later in the year aswell, seriously tempted to let them all off as I not sure what demand there will be for them later in the year.

Advertisement