Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Game Golf

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

TitianGerm wrote: »
    So far I am very happy.

Although the watch is quite big it is very light. My previous GPS clipped to my driver head cover and I don't tend to wear normal watches but the ShotScope didn't bother me at all when I'm wearing it and playing. The straps are a rubbery material and can cause your wrist to sweat a little but not a problem for me again. The only concern I'd have is the cover over the charging port is a little flimsy.

The tags are good quality and seem quite sturdy. I had tour velvet grips on my irons and because of the rounded top on the grip the tag sat up a little. On my driver I've multi-compound grips and the tag sits flush with the top of the grip. I feel you'd be less likely to damage a tag putting your clubs in and out of your bag with the the multi-compound grip.

The user interface is very straight forward on the watch and the distances are bang on (I've tested against Garmin, Tom Tom and a Range Finder). The option to show distances to hazards is very handy as well. There are three modes to select depending on what you need, GPS only,. Track only and GPS and Track.

The website and app give a very nice break down of your stats but as I haven't used mine enough yet I haven't built up enough information to get my averages. Editing your round is also very easy, although a little less finiky on the website.

I'm based in Wexford but if your around the area your more than welcome to have a look at it.
    Cheers, sounds good.

From the review above he is slightly critical of use on the greens for tracking putts. Any thoughts on that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,354 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Cheers, sounds good.

From the review above he is slightly critical of use on the greens for tracking putts. Any thoughts on that?

When your on the green the watch automatically changes to a pin select option.

Once your finished on the green you need to let the watch know where the pin was on that day. If have a two putt you stand over the hole and press the button corresponding to two, this updates the hole and let's ShotScope know pin location for the day.

After a few holes I got in the routine of pressing the number of putts as I was picking my ball out of the hole.

I've attached a screenshot of the stats for putting from the app. Ideally it could give a little more information but for me I want to know how many 1, 2 and 3 putts I'm having per round. (Ignore the four putt... That didn't happen ;))

When your on the green the watch automatically changes to a pin select option.

Once your finished on the green you need to let the watch know where the pin was on that day. If have a two putt you stand over the hole and press the button corresponding to two, this updates the hole and let's ShotScope know pin location for the day.

After a few holes I got in the routine of pressing the number of putts as I was picking my ball out of the hole.

I've attached a screenshot of the stats for putting from the app. Ideally it could give a little more information but for me I want to know how many 1, 2 and 3 putts I'm having per round. (Ignore the four putt... That didn't happen ;))

So does it pick up any shots hit with the putter on the green? You mark on the green where the pin is placed & how many putts you took. How does it determine if you took long/medium/short putts. (sorry, its just not that clear from what I've read before how it picks up the actual details of the putts you've taken)

I know for myself using GameGolf, I always bring a second card around with me when I'm playing a comp. I mark my own score on it, as well as an approximate pin position for update afterwards (F-M-B, L-C-R). So if the flag was front right I mark FR on my card.

Its not perfect, but gets me something relatively accurate.

So does it pick up any shots hit with the putter on the green? You mark on the green where the pin is placed & how many putts you took. How does it determine if you took long/medium/short putts. (sorry, its just not that clear from what I've read before how it picks up the actual details of the putts you've taken)

I know for myself using GameGolf, I always bring a second card around with me when I'm playing a comp. I mark my own score on it, as well as an approximate pin position for update afterwards (F-M-B, L-C-R). So if the flag was front right I mark FR on my card.

Its not perfect, but gets me something relatively accurate.

It does show each individual putt on the green and it'll tell you the distance of each one (see screenshot). I just haven't figured out yet how they calculate Short/Medium/Long putts yet.

I'm zoomed in fully on the green there so you can see the individual putts so that's why it's a bit blurry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

I presume it picks up the putt the same way as it would an iron shot, by inputting the final number of putts at the hole.it helps pinpoint where you finished as there wouldn't be another strike on that hole.

Question though if putting from the fairway would that be included when inputting the number of putts?

redzerdrog wrote: »
    I presume it picks up the putt the same way as it would an iron shot, by inputting the final number of putts at the hole.it helps pinpoint where you finished as there wouldn't be another strike on that hole.

Question though if putting from the fairway would that be included when inputting the number of putts?

The putter also has a tag so yes it picks that up the same way as the irons and woods. Correct on the input of putts as well. When you pick the number you had the watch moves into the next hole.

As far as I can tell it doesn't pull putts from off the green into your putting averages. If you putt from the green it gives a little logo of a green and flag on the app and if you use your putter from off the green it shows the fairway logo.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭tbayers

redzerdrog wrote: »
    https://practical-golf.com/shot-scope-v2-review/

This review of shotscope has me considering buying one, any update from those that have got it recently

I have had 7 rounds on it now and extremely happy. The statistics it produces are starting to show some trends, some are obvious, others not so much. I have a nice trend in relation to my irons where it shows a gap or roughly 12-14 yards between clubs. It also has a nice option to take away positional shots, mis hits etc.

Putting is very good too, records everything that you would want. I also thought it looked very big when I took it out from the pack but that was soon forgotten after my first drive. Has never failed to track a shot for me, even those little knocks forwards/sideways under trees, hazards etc.

Again given that the majority of golf played in Ireland is Stableford you may need to do a bit of fiddling around editing wise if you are scratching holes. Other than that I highly reccomend.

tbayers wrote: »
    I have had 7 rounds on it now and extremely happy. The statistics it produces are starting to show some trends, some are obvious, others not so much. I have a nice trend in relation to my irons where it shows a gap or roughly 12-14 yards between clubs. It also has a nice option to take away positional shots, mis hits etc.

Putting is very good too, records everything that you would want. I also thought it looked very big when I took it out from the pack but that was soon forgotten after my first drive. Has never failed to track a shot for me, even those little knocks forwards/sideways under trees, hazards etc.

Again given that the majority of golf played in Ireland is Stableford you may need to do a bit of fiddling around editing wise if you are scratching holes. Other than that I highly reccomend.

How do you take away the miss hits and positional shots? I hadn't figured that out yet.

You can hit the P.Avg button on the dashboard page or hit positional shot on edit page. The P.Avg seems to work best for me, it's smart enough to realise what is what

• Advertisement

You can hit the P.Avg button on the dashboard page or hit positional shot on edit page. The P.Avg seems to work best for me, it's smart enough to realise what is what

So if I mark a shot as a "Postional" shot when editing a round it'll exclude the shot from the averages when you pick the P-Avg tab?

I'll have to do that with my gap wedge as I use that around the green chipping.

So if I mark a shot as a "Postional" shot when editing a round it'll exclude the shot from the averages when you pick the P-Avg tab?

I'll have to do that with my gap wedge as I use that around the green chipping.

I haven't really being doing it and it still has the no with all to pick up on a mis hit. Although I rarely use my 56 degree for full shots therefore has a very low average distance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,839 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

How are people currently finding Game Golf?

I'm coming up with a product at the mo in regards to Golf Data and it has many of the same ideas but doesn't go as in-depth (as far as right now goes anyway).

More of a basic tracking scores site etc.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I just bought this after talking to one of the boards lads last week, and seeing it when browsing Amazon last night. Their targeted ads obviously did their job. Looking forward to seeing how it actually works, and i don't expect tagging the clubs on will be much of an issue. Will be nice to get a good idea of my distances, accuracy and general info.

I tend to forget everything bar the good and bad shots, so seeing a full overview of my round will be helpful. Won't make me better on it's own, but should give me some good info to help me work to improve my game.

Worst comes to worst i'll sell it in a few months :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭willabur

While it is fun to check specific things after a round it is something that is only really useful after 5-10 rounds to see what are the patterns in your play.

E.g. I am far more likely to leave my approach short than long or left or right. This tells me I am under clubbing myself on approach shots

If their shots 'gained Vs' is accurate It also confirms to me that I am woeful putter.

Kiith wrote: »
    I just bought this after talking to one of the boards lads last week, and seeing it when browsing Amazon last night. Their targeted ads obviously did their job. Looking forward to seeing how it actually works, and i don't expect tagging the clubs on will be much of an issue. Will be nice to get a good idea of my distances, accuracy and general info.

I tend to forget everything bar the good and bad shots, so seeing a full overview of my round will be helpful. Won't make me better on it's own, but should give me some good info to help me work to improve my game.

Worst comes to worst i'll sell it in a few months :P

Think it might have been me, when you guys picked mine up on the course?

One thing I do tend to do is keep a card with my scores on it & also not a quick guide on pin position on the green.

Something like FL for Front Left, BC for Back Centre. It lets me get a bit more meaningful detail on the greens.

It will try it's best to put a pin position in, but is not generally that accurate.

Maybe I'm overly anal with it though, so it might be overkill :D

Agreed re the point above, you will need a bunch of rounds in there before you get meaningful numbers

• Advertisement

Yeah, was interested after talking to you, but I hadn't even thought about buying it until i was looking at something to spend a €200 one for all voucher i got from work for Christmas. Saw that and just said what the hell. Will be fun to see data if nothing else.

Still have the voucher (as they don't work on Amazon), so i guess i'll just buy a new club as well :P (unless i can find somewhere to get lessons with it).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭gypsy79

willabur wrote: »
    If their shots 'gained Vs' is accurate It also confirms to me that I am woeful putter.

They dont know where the pin is, it could be you are an awful chipper

Or choose to putt when you should be chipping

Putts Vs '' doesn't rely on position or distance from the pin. It just counts the number of times you used the putter vs the average

So it doesn't need to know where the pin is in order to come up with what is an indicator of an issue, not an absolute diagnosis

willabur wrote: »
    Putts Vs '' doesn't rely on position or distance from the pin. It just counts the number of times you used the putter vs the average

So it doesn't need to know where the pin is in order to come up with what is an indicator of an issue, not an absolute diagnosis

Not on the PGA tour, afaik it takes into account distance

Same point applies either way. You may not be chipping close as others, or putting when others are chipping

yep, which is gamegolf providing value

• Advertisement

gypsy79 wrote: »
    Not on the PGA tour, afaik it takes into account distance

Same point applies either way. You may not be chipping close as others, or putting when others are chipping

It doesn't include putts from off the green in your putting stats

It doesn't include putts from off the green in your putting stats

But gamegolf does! Hence my point that it isn’t a reliable measure. I own one btw

Useful for club distances but limited

surely if it is the same for everyone then the measurement is reliable if not 100% fully understood

gypsy79 wrote: »
    But gamegolf does! Hence my point that it isn’t a reliable measure. I own one btw

Useful for club distances but limited

vpyyon.jpg

Per the above from my last GameGolf round, you can see that I took 5 shots on the hole. Shot 3 is a putt from "Off Green". So I took 3 shots with my putter, but at the bottom it lists 2 putts on the hole.

If you don't explicitly tell it that you're putting off the green, generally I know that it will default each putt you take onto the green.

Below is direct from the Gamegolf FAQ. As you can see for putting it states "All shots on the green".

Their putting example is pretty clear too in relation to it. So as long as you're updating your rounds with some degree of accuracy it should give a relatively reasonable measure
    The Strokes Gained Overview shows a breakdown of where you are losing (or gaining) strokes in the four major categories (Off the Tee, Approach, Short Game, Putting) compared to a scratch golfer.

Definition of Categories:
    Off the Tee: First shot on all Par 4 and Par 5 holes.
    Approach: All shots over 100 yards/meters away from the hole that aren't par 4 or 5 tee shots. This will include the first shot on par 3 holes.
    Short Game: All shots within 100 yards/meters of the hole that aren't on the green.
    Putting: All shots on the green.

Update (Jan 2016):
    Round Filter: Defaulted to All Rounds, there is a filter option view data from Last 1, 3, 5, 10, 15 rounds or select the individual rounds for analysis

Vs Handicap Filter: Defaulted to "Vs Scratch," there is a filter option to compare the data to different handicap groups (scratch, 5 Hcp, 10 Hcp, 15 Hcp, 20 Hcp, 25 Hcp), which GAME GOLF is able to calculate from all the users' shot data.

How we calculate strokes gained:
    Strokes gained calculates how many strokes you gain (or lose) on each shot compared to how a baseline group (scratch golfers, PGA Tour Pros, etc.) performs from an identical position. The factors that determine your position are the distance away from the hole and the lie type (tee, fairway, rough, bunker, green) of the ball.

For example, let's say you are comparing yourself to a PGA Tour Pro for an 8-foot putt. The PGA Tour Pros average 1.5 strokes to hole out from 8 feet (approximately 50% 1-putt, 50% 2-putt, and virtually 0% 3-putt). Therefore, if you hole out the 8-foot putt, you GAIN 0.5 strokes compared to the Tour Pro. However, if you 2-putt the 8-foot putt, then you LOSE 0.5 strokes compared to the Tour Pro.

The same methodology can be applied to any combination of distance away from the hole and lie type.

Using our extensive database, we are able to create the scratch golfer baseline for every position on the golf course, which is used for calculating your strokes gained. Finally, after categorizing your shots we take your average strokes gained or lost and normalized it to represent an 18-hole round.

Note: Based on the typical amateur golfers in our system (higher than scratch golfers), the +/- notation has been flipped. Thus, the number presented in the bar graph represents the strokes you have to improve per round to be equivalent to scratch.

Yeah, was interested after talking to you, but I hadn't even thought about buying it until i was looking at something to spend a €200 one for all voucher i got from work for Christmas. Saw that and just said what the hell. Will be fun to see data if nothing else.

Still have the voucher (as they don't work on Amazon), so i guess i'll just buy a new club as well :P (unless i can find somewhere to get lessons with it).

What made you go with Game Golf over Shot Scope (€199 in McGuirks)?

No need to tag your shots with Shot Scope and has the added benefit of being a very reliable GPS watch as well?

To be honest, i'd never even heard of that. Looks pretty great though...wonder if i could return the Game Golf, as i do like having it on my watch (and i can't do that with Game Golf, which is annoying).

To be honest, i'd never even heard of that. Looks pretty great though...wonder if i could return the Game Golf, as i do like having it on my watch (and i can't do that with Game Golf, which is annoying).

Amazon should refund you no problem.

I find it very good, it does miss the odd shot but very easy to add in while editing your round. The watch also gives you distance to front middle or back of the green and to hazards. You also tag the pin position on the green using the watch.

If your ever up around Wexford I have a Shot Scope that you can try if you want.

Does it actually need to be connected to the phone during the round? One of my issues with Hole19 and my Samsung watch has been with it losing connectivity, and it only seems to give me accurate data about 50% of the time. If this works on its own, seems like a no brainer to refund with Amazon and get this at McGuirks with the one4 all voucher.

Does it actually need to be connected to the phone during the round? One of my issues with Hole19 and my Samsung watch has been with it losing connectivity, and it only seems to give me accurate data about 50% of the time. If this works on its own, seems like a no brainer to refund with Amazon and get this at McGuirks with the one4 all voucher.

No. It stores all the info on the watch, then you can connect it via Bluetooth to your phone or USB to the PC to download your information. You don't need to do this after every round either as it stays on the watch until you transfer it. It's just easier to edit a round when it's still fresh in your head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

Hi Lads,

Sorry was browsing the thread so apologies if I'm repeating stuff.

Do I have it correct thinking that you can use game golf with the shot scope v2 watch or am I putting 2 conversations together.

cheers

• Advertisement

Iang87 wrote: »
    Hi Lads,

Sorry was browsing the thread so apologies if I'm repeating stuff.

Do I have it correct thinking that you can use game golf with the shot scope v2 watch or am I putting 2 conversations together.

cheers

Separate systems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

Separate systems.

Ah I see. How do you go about using the Game golf system.

I'm interested in finding trends that I have. For example I feel like i'm always missing my 8 iron left or right but the lads I play with say its not as often as I think I am and i'm only focussing on the misses

Iang87 wrote: »
    Ah I see. How do you go about using the Game golf system.

I'm interested in finding trends that I have. For example I feel like i'm always missing my 8 iron left or right but the lads I play with say its not as often as I think I am and i'm only focussing on the misses

Get the shotscope, have it over a year now and it is perfect for what you want it for. Don't have to tag clubs either and it's hassle free. Only thinking you have to do is remember to tell watch how many putts you take. Tabs take care of the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭pakman

Get the shotscope, have it over a year now and it is perfect for what you want it for. Don't have to tag clubs either and it's hassle free. Only thinking you have to do is remember to tell watch how many putts you take. Tabs take care of the rest.

Need to be disciplined about editing your rounds too. I've played maybe 8 rounds with it but left 4-5 too long to remember accurately shot for shot. Just a matter of practice is suppose.

Other issue I have is placing a ball marker gets confused with taking it out of the cup so pin placement can be off.

pakman wrote: »
    Need to be disciplined about editing your rounds too. I've played maybe 8 rounds with it but left 4-5 too long to remember accurately shot for shot. Just a matter of practice is suppose.

Other issue I have is placing a ball marker gets confused with taking it out of the cup so pin placement can be off.

When you pick your number of putts over the hole it sets that as the pin position doesn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭pakman

When you pick your number of putts over the hole it sets that as the pin position doesn't it?

Yeah its as much me getting used to exactly that rather than weakness in the watch. if you forget and move off to another hole it does its best to guestimate I think.

After years with Garmin you just need to condition yourself but its worth keeping in mind for how accurate initial rounds will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 KG_SouthTipp

Hi Guys,

Question for the owners of Shotscope. I just purchased and its charging as I type. I am reading the manual and its states it is vital that practice strokes are taken before each shot to maximize data collection. It actual says they recommend multiple practice strokes for each shot! Do you find this is the case? Could you otherwise miss some data when you review your round? I dont normally take many practice swings and I feel this could slow my game up?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Beaulieu

Hi Guys,

Question for the owners of Shotscope. I just purchased and its charging as I type. I am reading the manual and its states it is vital that practice strokes are taken before each shot to maximize data collection. It actual says they recommend multiple practice strokes for each shot! Do you find this is the case? Could you otherwise miss some data when you review your round? I dont normally take many practice swings and I feel this could slow my game up?

Thanks

Have Shotscope since 2018. Not a problem at all. You will usually end up editing a round (very simple process) - weakeness if any is the putts but if you edit post round its easy to remember this.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 KG_SouthTipp

Thanks very much Beaulieu, I look forward to trying it out.

Also, I noticed on the box it states average improvement over 30 rounds is a reduction of 2.7 shots........is this realistic? Obviously i am sure it depends if you are a regular golfer or not

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Beaulieu

Thanks very much Beaulieu, I look forward to trying it out.

Also, I noticed on the box it states average improvement over 30 rounds is a reduction of 2.7 shots........is this realistic? Obviously i am sure it depends if you are a regular golfer or not

Depends on your starting handicap;)...I find its excellent on what they call P-Avg essentially your median distance per club.
    Also -which side of the fairway/rough do you hit more often. Its a statistician's dream.
    One point to mind also -you must download the course once before going out to play. It doesn't automatically pick it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭RexHamilton

Can't find a thread on the Arccos system, so I assume it's been discussed in here at some stage too.

Anyone using it?

I know it's pricier, but from the reviews online it looks a much slicker system.

The reality is, you could gain from it, assuming that you get a decent amount of data in to it, and actually make use of that data.

It won't change your scoring, unless you put the effort in & change your game off the back of the output from it

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

You should gain from it as your distances will be much better known to you, it's also great for approach shots as it shows percentage withing a reasonable pin target area and then your performance within the area, left, right, short and long, I was amazed how very few I hit long versus short.
    GameGolf will do nothing for your putts

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Scott Tenorman

I got one of these recently and have noticed that my typical shot is a lot shorter than i believed e.g. a well hit 5 iron will go approx. 185 yards but my typical shot would be more like 170 yards.

Not good for the ego but the stats don't lie and i should be aiming to go with my typical distances rather than my maximum distances as i will get better results.

On the plus side i am better than i thought i was from 100 yards in (but when i do miss it is nearly always short and right). :)

Don't find it great for putting other than tracking how many putts are taken TBH

I got one of these recently and have noticed that my typical shot is a lot shorter than i believed e.g. a well hit 5 iron will go approx. 185 yards but my typical shot would be more like 170 yards.

Not good for the ego but the stats don't lie and i should be aiming to go with my typical distances rather than my maximum distances as i will get better results.

On the plus side i am better than i thought i was from 100 yards in (but when i do miss it is nearly always short and right). :)

Don't find it great for putting other than tracking how many putts are taken TBH

I think for the putting, you need to be a bit anal. I carry a 2nd card with me when playing comps. I track my score as well as noting flag position on the green (BL for back left, FC for front centre, etc...) to let me get more accurate putting info

• Advertisement

I sent back my Game Golf, as it didn't sync up with my watch, and i prefer having that as my distance marker. Replaced it with Shot Scope v2, and i find it much better. Range finder, and tracks my shots without having to worry about tagging them in (which i always forget). Still forget to do the pin collect sometimes, but it's cool to see some stats on your game.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Scott Tenorman

I think for the putting, you need to be a bit anal. I carry a 2nd card with me when playing comps. I track my score as well as noting flag position on the green (BL for back left, FC for front centre, etc...) to let me get more accurate putting info

Yeah I edit all the pin positions afterwards too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,068 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

haven't used my game golf in a while but played a few rounds recently with it
    tried to sync it there with my mac book but it tells me that it needs to be updated to work with my version of mac os, but there is no update.
    anyone else have a similar issue?

Not been working for ages...more or less dumped mine

Having no issues with mine. Syncd up grand for my Gowran round.

Using a PC rather than Mac though

• Advertisement
Advertisement