Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need some advice on my son

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Wanderer19 wrote: »
    Entitlement and worth are 2 different things (other posters mentioned worth).

He may be 'entitled' to minimum wage, but without experience whose to say he can do the job asked, or will be punctual, respectful etc.?

What the fúck does that have to do with anything? Who's to say anyone hired for any job can actually do it, or will be punctual or respectful? They're still entitled to the minimum wage - that's the law. It's not conditional.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,491 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

OP your biggest mistake was not consulting with him first.
    Springing the job thing on him after it had been arranged behind his back obviously upset him as it would have done me when I was his age.
    Then you compounded the entire matter by confiscating his xbox.
    Not very good moves imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

NSAman wrote: »
    A little more incentive from Dad, e.g. you finish and do a good job then we can do something together, we can see if we can get "X" that you wanted.... might just solve the issue.

At 14 I would have seen doing something together with my dad as a punishment. In early puberty the last thing I and many of my friends wanted was to spend time with family.

1) I had spoken with him throughout this year to coax him to get a little job for himself and be independent but was always met with a “no”. Therefore I pushed on and asked my friend (who is the child’s godfather) to help me out. I told him would he let him do two days a week and I suggested to give €40 per day. Just to compare when I first started working at 14 I was paid £40 per week for five full days. My friend cares for the welfare of my son and would look after him whilst helping to introduce him to doing some light work.
    2) The job doesn’t involve meeting the public and would be mainly working outdoors or in a warehouse with no machinery involved. The job is located about 500 metres from our house along a back road so he could walk or cycle to work and even come home for lunch if he wanted.
    3) To those that think I am bullying him then I just want to say that you are wrong. I am trying to prepare him for adulthood. This has nothing to do with either the work or the money. He will still have plenty of time to enjoy his friends and his summer.

I am also conscious that we are living in strange times and I don’t want him to be cut off from his friends so at lunchtime I told him that I am proud of him as a son and he has made me proud many times as he grew up. But I told him that myself and his Mam were very disappointed in him for refusing to take the job. I said that he can have either the phone or his Xbox back but only one and he has to tell me which one, but whatever one he doesn’t pick with not be given back to him. If he changes his mind on the job then he can have both. I think it’s the best I can do.

So you're "trying to prepare him for adulthood" by making decisions for him and forcing him to do things he has no control over, and punishing him for making a decision for himself. The fúcking irony.

What you did or didn't do when you were 14 is irrelevant. It also used to be alright for teachers to beat kids in schools, or for employers to throw shoes at people or other such nonsense. Times change.

You absolutely are bullying him into doing what you want, and either you're ignorant of that fact or you're so biased you cannot see it yourself. I'd say he's fair disappointed in you too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭NSAman

GarIT wrote: »
    At 14 I would have seen doing something together with my dad as a punishment. In early puberty the last thing I and many of my friends wanted was to spend time with family.

People differ....;)

• Advertisement

UPDATE - Many thanks for all of the advice and it’s much appreciated. Just to clarify a few things that came up in the comments.

1) I had spoken with him throughout this year to coax him to get a little job for himself and be independent but was always met with a “no”. Therefore I pushed on and asked my friend (who is the child’s godfather) to help me out. I told him would he let him do two days a week and I suggested to give €40 per day. Just to compare when I first started working at 14 I was paid £40 per week for five full days. My friend cares for the welfare of my son and would look after him whilst helping to introduce him to doing some light work.
    2) The job doesn’t involve meeting the public and would be mainly working outdoors or in a warehouse with no machinery involved. The job is located about 500 metres from our house along a back road so he could walk or cycle to work and even come home for lunch if he wanted.
    3) To those that think I am bullying him then I just want to say that you are wrong. I am trying to prepare him for adulthood. This has nothing to do with either the work or the money. He will still have plenty of time to enjoy his friends and his summer.

I am also conscious that we are living in strange times and I don’t want him to be cut off from his friends so at lunchtime I told him that I am proud of him as a son and he has made me proud many times as he grew up. But I told him that myself and his Mam were very disappointed in him for refusing to take the job. I said that he can have either the phone or his Xbox back but only one and he has to tell me which one, but whatever one he doesn’t pick with not be given back to him. If he changes his mind on the job then he can have both. I think it’s the best I can do.

I think you are completely wrong. He doens't need to be prepared for adulthood almost 10 years in adcance at only 14. And demanding he break the law isn't any sort of good preparation for adulthood.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,183 ✭✭✭✭noodler

oyvey wrote: »
    Out of interest, why don't you think the "you didn't consult him" points matter?

The OP consulted him constantly. I don't agree the 14 year old should have final say.

Many kids need a push.

In what way does a persons age have a reflection on the amount they get paid?

Anyone under 18 is entitled to €7.07/hour. That means he should be getting paid €113.12 for his 16 hours. Anything less is giving him a very early message that "it's alright for other people to break the law in a workplace".

There's already too many people in the world getting exploited by shítty employers. You don't need your parent & their friend doing it to you when you're 14 too.

Jesus.

Relax on the workers rights for a boy who has just turned 14.

I hardly think his godfather is out to exploit him either he'll probably get an easier time of it if anything. And it'll probably be a while before he is actually more of a help than a hindrance.

So you're "trying to prepare him for adulthood" by making decisions for him and forcing him to do things he has no control over, and punishing him for making a decision for himself. The fúcking irony.

What you did or didn't do when you were 14 is irrelevant. It also used to be alright for teachers to beat kids in schools, or for employers to throw shoes at people or other such nonsense. Times change.

You absolutely are bullying him into doing what you want, and either you're ignorant of that fact or you're so biased you cannot see it yourself. I'd say he's fair disappointed in you too.

I would ignore this OP.

Very iffy basis for such judgemental posting.

noodler wrote: »
    The OP consulted him constantly. I don't agree the 14 year old should have final say.

Many kids need a push.

Jesus.

Relax on the workers rights for a boy who has just turned 14.

I hardly think his godfather is out to exploit him either he'll probably get an easier time of it if anything. And it'll probably be a while before he is actually more of a help than a hindrance.

Would you not think the opposite, that children need to be the most protected by workers rights? You argument is the same argument as it's ok to beat a child but once they are 18 it's illegal. There is no minimum age for rights to kick in.

This has come up before in the thread, actions are different from words. Not intending to exploit someone isn't an excuse for exploiting them.

And you know what you pay someone who is learning a job? Minimum wage, if they are experienced they can argue for more. The minimum wage isn't the minimum for qualified people only.

I would ignore this OP.

Very iffy basis for such judgemental posting.

Ignore this op. Iffy judgement of basis for posting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,491 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Many kids need a push..

The OP didn’t consult with his son until the job was arranged.
    Bad move that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭oyvey

Many kids need a push.

Well me know now that the OP consulted him now that they've explained that.

But in general, consulting a child before a decision is made isn't the same thing as giving them the final say.

The OP didn’t consult with his son until the job was arranged.
    Bad move that.

I think there is a bit of confusion. In the original post the OP said he didn't talk to his son about getting him this job until he told him "you're working now out you go." but later said he had talked to his son about the son getting a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭tscul32

I have a 14yo son myself and I think the job is a great idea, would love it for my son. He's not a sociable lad so being stuck at home is a dream come true. He has friends from school and they all hang out online. He has chores to do which he hates and moans his way through. However since we've never been the parents who buy their kids whatever they want, he would love the opportunity.
    As for workers' rights - it sounds like his godfather doesn't need an employee but has a few things your son could help with and he'll throw him a few euro for it. I'm sure he'll be well taken care of too. My lad was helping his granny last summer, she had jobs that needed doing, power washing, painting, etc. and he did them happily knowing she'd give him some money and he was saving for a gaming computer. He did similar for my aunt. But an hours work took him 3 hours and he'd have soft drinks and chocolate biscuits, crisps, etc. all provided for him. My aunt even used to go to the shop to get him a chicken fillet roll for his lunch - super spoiled. My parents are hoping to have him over later in the summer to help his grandad with painting and gardening. He won't get minimum wage but none of us will care. He'll be delighted with what he gets and he won't moan his way through it. He'll be praised and pampered instead. And it will be so good for him to earn his own pc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭oyvey

UPDATE - Many thanks for all of the advice and it’s much appreciated. Just to clarify a few things that came up in the comments.

Side note: Based on your previous posts I really thought you were the mam. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I think you are completely wrong. He doens't need to be prepared for adulthood almost 10 years in adcance at only 14. And demanding he break the law isn't any sort of good preparation for adulthood.

What law are you referring to.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/birth_family_relationships/children_s_rights_and_policy/children_and_rights_in_ireland.html

tscul32 wrote: »
    He won't get minimum wage but none of us will care. He'll be delighted with what he gets and he won't moan his way through it. He'll be praised and pampered instead. And it will be so good for him to earn his own pc.

You're not entitled to minimum wage if you're working for close relatives. That's one of the exemptions.
    beauf wrote: »

The one on minimum wage.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/pay_and_employment/pay_inc_min_wage.html

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Stepping Stone

OP, I looked at your posting history and I was very struck by one three years ago that you wrote about having anxiety and just not progressing at work for 20yrs.

Surely as someone who suffers from anxiety you should know that someone else taking complete control of your life is a really, really bad thing. Taking away your only connections to the outside world, especially during a time when everything has changed and you’re isolated is a really bad move. It seems that you working at 14 didn’t have a positive impact on your life.

You have spoken to your son about this for a year and been told no. You didn’t listen and ploughed on anyway. You clearly do not understand what the word no means. This didn’t come out of nowhere. He’s told you time and again that the answer is no. Is your wife disappointed in him or are you just putting words in his mouth?

Essentially OP, you didn’t listen repeatedly to the word no. Now that you’ve made plans for him without his consent, and again been told no, you’ve decided that he deserves to be cut off entirely from the outside world. What lessons exactly do you think that you’re teaching him? That you don’t listen regardless? That adults can do whatever they want? That being a bully is the best way forward?

You apparently suffer from anxiety and didn’t progress in your career. Think that it might be because you have poor communication, comprehension and social skills? He’s doing well at school and sport. He’s clearly not lazy. There’s something very wrong about the whole situation and that’s you and your approach.

I started working at 16. My dad tried to pull the same crap with me. My mother put a stop to it rapidly by pointing out what a roaring success his young life was and how I was going to live a better life. I have never been unemployed since I was sixteen. I’m in my late 30s now. I have a good degree, masters and a very good job. I have an excellent work ethic. Not because my father booted me out to work when he wanted to, but because I was raised by two hardworking parents. I was raised with the idea that you work hard at everything and that you did your absolute best at everything from scrubbing toilets to exams. It’s paid off for me. When I was ready to work, I worked. I wouldn’t have been mature enough at 14 or 15 for it.

In your case, does your son see two hardworking parents achieving their best in every situation? If he does, I doubt that he’ll be any different. Perhaps he knows his own value and mind and knows what’s best for him.

You will reap what you sow with this. If you bully him into doing what you want, not what he wants, he’ll learn that that’s the best way to behave towards family. Hopefully you never have to rely on him to have your best interests at heart after this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭FionnK86

Thanks for update, good idea splitting up the phone/xbox.

I hope it works out for both of you. Being a teenage is sh!te sometimes, getting used to responsibility especially in Coronaland. If he does take the job, he'll be above a lot of others in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

FAILSAFE, you know nothing about this child.

Lol, I was one. With a games console also.

The child isnt going to be making handbags in a sweat shop. It's a great experience. One he will be thankful for.

Right now I am sure he thinks he is being sent to the gulag to dig trenches but a happy chap will emerge.

• Advertisement

OP, I looked at your posting history and I was very struck by one three years ago that you wrote about having anxiety and just not progressing at work for 20yrs.

Surely as someone who suffers from anxiety ....

... Hopefully you never have to rely on him to have your best interests at heart after this.

I've never thought character assassination works well as a method of giving advice..

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Stepping Stone

I've never though character assassination works well as a method of giving advice..

It’s not character assassination. It’s food for thought. He wants for his son what he had, but is what he had and has actually something that he should want for his son?

It seems to me that he’s not listening to his son or taking into account that his son already has a good work ethic. He should think long and hard about his motivations and actions.

I've never thought character assassination works well as a method of giving advice..

It's disgraceful tbh.

Going through a poster's history to look for mental health issues just so he/she will come around to your way of thinking is very poor form.

It’s not character assassination. It’s food for thought. He wants for his son what he had, but is what he had and has actually something that he should want for his son?

It seems to me that he’s not listening to his son or taking into account that his son already has a good work ethic. He should think long and hard about his motivations and actions.

You could make that point without trawling someones past history.

School work and Sports doesn't prepare people for work.

If it did people wouldn't do work placements, and people wouldn't look for work experience desperately on CV

Minimum wage.

Paid holidays, although maybe he is gettng those.

Maximum working hours for an under 16 year old is 7 in a day during the Summer while OPs son is doing 8.

Registering your employment with Revenue, which can't be happening if he is being paid less than minimum wage.

You're not entitled to minimum wage if you're working for close relatives. That's one of the exemptions.

The one on minimum wage.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/pay_and_employment/pay_inc_min_wage.html

I'm unclear. Are they breaking the law or not. I'm too tired to go back through all that again.

Lol, I was one. With a games console also.

The child isnt going to be making handbags in a sweat shop. It's a great experience. One he will be thankful for.

Right now I am sure he thinks he is being sent to the gulag to dig trenches but a happy chap will emerge.

What you're saying is that all 14 year olds are identical - you were a lazy sh*t at 14, ergo all 14 year olds are lazy....? :rolleyes:

You could make that point without trawling someones past history.

School work and Sports doesn't prepare people for work.

If it did people wouldn't do work placements, and people wouldn't look for work experience desperately on CV

People don't look for work experience in a warehouse.

I'm unclear. Are they breaking the law or not. I'm too tired to go back through all that again.

Godparents have little to no standing in law, they wouldn't count as a direct family member so yes breaking the law.

• Advertisement

Minimum wage.

Maximum working hours for an under 16 year old is 7 in a day during the Summer while OPs son is doing 8.

Registering your employment with Revenue, which can't be happening if he is being paid less than minimum wage.

While I'm all for doing things right, especially with tax and Prsi going forward, and people undervalue the value of family working for them. When they should pay them more. But I think there is case of winning the battle and losing the war here.

Advertisement