Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

People with a funny idea of the rules of the road.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Dufflecoat Fanny

farmers around my area seem to think the roads are just parking lanes

I managed to get a full license without knowing how to drive on a motorway. I didn't know anything about undertaking or that you are supposed to stay as far left as possible unless you are overtaking. Not allowing learner drivers on the motorway at all isn't a great idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭storker

DaveyDave wrote: »
    There's also an unbelievable amount of people who just don't speed up. Going onto the N3 today at Clonee which is a very long slip, did 60kph the whole way down FFS.

Or worse...drive to the end of the slip road and...stop.

I don't think I've seen this on motorways though, just on dual carriageways.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Mimon

Jeju wrote: »
    Was in heavy city school traffic one morning and heard an Ambulance behind,.moved into a left turning lane and stopped as did car behind. Ambulance passed I turned on right indicator started moving out and car behind races out and cuts me off, ended up following the fcuk wit for about 10 minutes at snails pace. Thing is he had an L plate so must be teaching one of his children to drive, although not with him on this occasion.

What's the etiquette when two cars merging at the same time hit into slow traffic and want to move into the overtaking lane ASAP?

If I'm the rear merging car I will always give the front merging car a chance to move out. Often though when I'm the front one the rear car will pull out not giving me a chance even if I'm indicating to move out.

Rude as **** and double whammy again if they proceed to crawl overtaking and hold me up.

Another merging one is when there is stopped or very slow moving traffic where people on the motorway.

I will always leave a gap to let cars merge. The amount of people who won't take this gap is amazing as they want to get as far down the ramp as they can to gain 3/4 car spaces. Often they will have to then wait for a gap to open for them :confused:

People really are thick on the road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Mimon wrote: »
    Another merging one is when there is stopped or very slow moving traffic where people on the motorway.

I will always leave a gap to let cars merge. The amount of people who won't take this gap is amazing as they want to get as far down the ramp as they can to gain 3/4 car spaces. Often they will have to then wait for a gap to open for them :confused:

Around the airport is terrible for that carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,651 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Mimon wrote: »

In heavy traffic, they should go to the end of the merging lane before merging. Otherwise, they're just wasting the road space and making the congestion worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭mags1962

I saw a beauty today on the N7 heading back towards Dublin, other car was in the overtaking lane, furthest to the right, doing about 100 kmh's, nothing inside in the other two lanes.
    I came up behind moving a little faster, but still no move to the left so I had no choice but to move to the left and under take, glanced over to see the driver with a Dog on their lap, oblivious to everything else going on.
    I just kept on driving in the middle over taking lane, with a few cars to my left and nothing to the right with the car i'd just under taken, still in the same lane, disappearing into my rear view.
    Keep Left seems to be a myth to a lot of drivers?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

Think car manufacturers can skip implementing indicators on the cars for Ireland. Unbelievable amount of drivers doesn't use advantage of having them installed and unbelievable amount of drivers doesn't see them, when someone else is indicating. Rear view mirrors are used for cosmetic purposes as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭wandererz

Keep left, pass right.
    That's the standard taught in other countries.
    Non-existent here.

It is evident in other areas of life as well.
    e.g. walking along a footpath. People walking 2 or 3 abreast, taking up the entire footpath. Refusing to make way for others approcaching them from the opposite direction and forcing them to move out of the footpath. I just keep on going and force them to break their clique instead.

Entitled superiority is rife.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭wandererz

BrianD3 wrote: »
    I don't
    a) stop
    b) move to the other side of the road to let them out as some sort of "courteous" act
    c) expend a lot of my cognitive resources on them

Drivers have to assume a certain level of competence in other drivers and that they have a basic understanding of rules of the road, otherwise, chaos.

Look up defensive driving.
    In the US, when drivers are issued a fine, in many states, they have the option of contesting it in court or paying the fine and doing a defensive driving course.
    One of the things taught is situational awareness and risk awareness.

This is a great thread, it's covering pedestrians, driving in the US, cyclist's, all we need next are a few Russian road rage videos ( I love watching them)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭wildwillow

deise08 wrote: »
    Can i throw in cars that are exiting a roundabout stopping to let people cross the road?

There is a roundabout in Clane where the pedestrian lights are a matter of feet from the roundabout exit. So you have entered the roundabout but cannot exit as there are pedestrians in your path with a right of way.

Another on the Monread road where pedestrians have a crossing just at the roundabout exit.

Once one is familiar with the layout one can drive with caution but they are so dangerous.

McGaggs wrote: »
    In heavy traffic, they should go to the end of the merging lane before merging. Otherwise, they're just wasting the road space and making the congestion worse.

Will make absolutely no difference to the congestion as it is starting up ahead not just at one junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djan

storker wrote: »
    Or worse...drive to the end of the slip road and...stop.

I don't think I've seen this on motorways though, just on dual carriageways.

That is what you should do if you were unable to merge safely. Can't just barge into a lane just because yours is over.

Can be tricky to get going from that point especially in low powered cars as many people are hesitant to flooring it.

wandererz wrote: »
    Keep left, pass right.
    That's the standard taught in other countries.
    Non-existent here.

It is evident in other areas of life as well.
    e.g. walking along a footpath. People walking 2 or 3 abreast, taking up the entire footpath. Refusing to make way for others approcaching them from the opposite direction and forcing them to move out of the footpath. I just keep on going and force them to break their clique instead.

Entitled superiority is rife.

I used to edge sideways to accommodate the rude footpath hoggers. Now I just keep my fair amount of space and ready to drop the shoulder to protect myself if they don't move.

A mouthy Nordie who was rabbiting on to his buddy and not giving me any space got sent flying by my shoulder once. Guarantee he will make room for other people in future.

Northern Ireland now:D

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Northern Ireland now:D

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

wildwillow wrote: »
    There is a roundabout in Clane where the pedestrian lights are a matter of feet from the roundabout exit. So you have entered the roundabout but cannot exit as there are pedestrians in your path with a right of way.

Another on the Monread road where pedestrians have a crossing just at the roundabout exit.

Once one is familiar with the layout one can drive with caution but they are so dangerous.

Donaghmede and Blanch have similar set ups. They are fecking dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭BrianD3

wandererz wrote: »
    Look up defensive driving.
    In the US, when drivers are issued a fine, in many states, they have the option of contesting it in court or paying the fine and doing a defensive driving course.
    One of the things taught is situational awareness and risk awareness.
    I don't see the relevance of this in response to my post that you quoted. I've already done defensive driving courses and was never advised to stop or move lanes to let vehicles out of side roads.

There is a world of difference between recognising potential hazards/being prepared to deal with them and disregarding fundamental rules of driving and priority because of fear or to be "courteous".

A driver needs to assume some competence on the part of other road users - well maybe not children or cyclists - but definitely other drivers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭micar

People who put their indicator on and thinking they have an automatic right to do their manuvore even it's unsafe.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,651 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

micar wrote: »
    People who put their indicator on and thinking they have an automatic right to do their manuvore even it's unsafe.

There's a glorious dashcam clip of a car pulling in front of a lorry and getting hit where the car driver gets out and shouts "I had my indicator on!"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Spook_ie wrote: »
    I know what it says, i also know there is no offence of NOT indicating..
    Of course there is.
    The "catch all" careless driving offence.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Fast2move

Akrasia wrote: »
    Do you realize that the gob****e in the OP (the fella merging onto the motorway) thought he was doing exactly what you are advocating?

It is not up to individual members of the public to enforce driving behavior on others, not least because half of all drivers don’t know the correct rules to enforce

I think the idea that heard mentality or a group behaviour won’t influence others is a bit of a stretch. I agree if Irish people knew how to drive correctly and their understanding of the rules of the road was improved then it will be easier to influence other drivers that are not so well educated

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    Of course there is.
    The "catch all" careless driving offence.

And also applies to the catch all situation of not actively avoiding a collision by either driver and despite your protestations there isn't a "no indicating" offence

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

You're confusing me quoting the RSA saying you "must use your indicator" with the odd statute you look at.
    I never said it was illegal not to use an indicator when changing lanes . I simply said that the RSA say you must use it when changing lanes.
    They use the word 'must' a lot in the RotR, but that's obviously just the RSA making random suggestions.
    Just because there isn't a specific statute concerning something doesn't mean that you are untouchable.

Look at it another way. If you fail to indicate when merging on to a Dual carriageway during a driving test it's a Grade 2 Fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭tDw6u1bj

Spook_ie wrote: »
    And also applies to the catch all situation of not actively avoiding a collision by either driver and despite your protestations there isn't a "no indicating" offence

Are we still not addressing how you're making these arguments while your signature is a picture making fun of people for not indicating?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

tDw6u1bj wrote: »
    Are we still not addressing how you're making these arguments while your signature is a picture making fun of people for not indicating?

My sig shows cyclists the correct use of hand signals (if you think that's making fun then shame on you) not the pointing at the road for 0.75 seconds that seems to be the norm for right/left turns and the non existant use of the signal for slowing or stopping

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭Martin567

mgbgt1978 wrote: »

Look at it another way. If you fail to indicate when merging on to a Dual carriageway during a driving test it's a Grade 2 Fault.

Do driving tests have motorway driving now? That must be a fairly recent change.

• Advertisement

A N plate driver nearly got me killed last week. Was on a bit of road that's a small bit bendy but nothing major. She was crawling along at 50kmph when the limit was 80. Came to a straight stretch and she was still doing 50, maybe touching 60. I decided to overtake her. As I was I could see a car in the distance coming in my direction but very far away and in no danger. As I was just passing this lady's driver door she put the boot down and floored it. I couldn't believe what she was doing. I should have been well in and past this car when I got worried about the oncoming car. I managed to get in and it was a very close shave. What goes through people's minds in this situation? Could have caused a serious crash. Driving for 50kmph for miles beforehand but when I go to overtake they floor it...

Advertisement