Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shane Lowry - 2019 Champion Golfer of The Year (note first post please for posting guidance)

Comments

Nice birdie on 18 for second subpar round in a row. Currently T42, and with others inevitably dropping back he'll be finely poised to attack a top 20 finish tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

Nice birdie on 18 for second subpar round in a row. Currently T42, and with others inevitably dropping back he'll be finely poised to attack a top 20 finish tomorrow.

Yeah nice and steady from Shane and by end of play he will probably be near top 20 but as for PGA card I think as he said himself he'll dip in and out but play mainly European your. A lot are cross overs anyhow WGCs Majors etc and once he is inside world's top 50 he qualifies anyhow so the odd other tournament Canadian open and so on he would be close to playing the minimum amount to keep card..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

3 PGA Tour top 10s, and $1.5m in 2019 this far. Pretty good haul for him, delighted to see it. Jumped 4 places from 65 to 61 in FedEx. Is 31 in OWGR.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭Glebee

Just switched on to see Lowys drive on the 13th in Lahinch..
    Wayward drive followed by "Oh Sh1t" from Lowry :D:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,348 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Glebee wrote: »
    Just switched on to see Lowys drive on the 13th in Lahinch..
    Wayward drive followed by "Oh Sh1t" from Lowry :D:D:D:D

Haha, saw that myself

https://twitter.com/RTEgolf/status/1146734698204262402

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I was expecting the F-word!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Leader!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Really really hope this thread title has to be changed on Sunday.

Keep it up Shane you beauty...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Would be great to see him win this.

On the 18th and his second shot it was clearly getting to him that he has a real chance. If he can find a way to handle those moments over the next two days, he could win. He has the game to win it.

• Advertisement

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Would be great to see him win this.

On the 18th and his second shot it was clearly getting to him that he has a real chance. If he can find a way to handle those moments over the next two days, he could win. He has the game to win it.

Weirdly I feel his best chance is if he falls back into the pack until Sunday afternoon.
    Happy for him to prove me wrong though!
    You need to get used to the butterflies that appear when you are in this position, not sure he has enough of that experience yet.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

True. Might be slightly less pressure coming from one or two behind and by not playing in the final group.

GreeBo wrote: »
    Weirdly I feel his best chance is if he falls back into the pack until Sunday afternoon.
    Happy for him to prove me wrong though!
    You need to get used to the butterflies that appear when you are in this position, not sure he has enough of that experience yet.

Yes when he was 4 ahead of the field at the start of the Final Round of the US Open in 2016 he then shot 6 over and finished 2nd 3 behind Johnson. Still if he got to that position again that experience should be useful to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Followed him yesterday for a good bit. He must be under serious pressure, cheered on to every green and cheered off it regardless of the score. I know we the spectators are just urging him on but it probably doesn’t help him.

I really hope he wins it though, he is good enough for a major win and this would be a perfect one.

etxp wrote: »
    Followed him yesterday for a good bit. He must be under serious pressure, cheered on to every green and cheered off it regardless of the score. I know we the spectators are just urging him on but it probably doesn’t help him.

I really hope he wins it though, he is good enough for a major win and this would be a perfect one.

He does seem to enjoy the crowds and support but i guess nerves are natural... you just need to get used to how they feel. Nerves are good, means something important is happening!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

No harm in him having a little wobble yesterday while still remaining top, it might make him cope better today. First few holes are crucial, needs to get a birdie on the board and be aggressive when the opportunities are there, he needs to go out to win it, not to not lose it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Lowry is portrayed as a proud Irishman so why did he choose to skip the olympics when he actually had the rare chance to represent Ireland in the biggest sporting event in the word?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Dots1982 wrote: »
    Lowry is portrayed as a proud Irishman so why did he choose to skip the olympics when he actually had the rare chance to represent Ireland in the biggest sporting event in the word?

He was away on a stags that weekend.

ForeRight wrote: »
    He was away on a stags that weekend.

Ah sur

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Ah sur

Sorry I thought you were playing a game of say something silly

ForeRight wrote: »
    Sorry I thought you were playing a game of say something silly

So why does Shane Lowry not consider representing his country In the biggest sports event in the world not worthy of his time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,421 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

So why does Shane Lowry not consider representing his country In the biggest sports event in the world not worthy of his time?

Just on the off chance you are not trolling, he cried off for the same reason others did. He wanted to start a family and was worried about possible zika virus infection which was rampant in Brazil at the time

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Go away and don’t post in this thread again or you’re getting a week off

If
    Keano wrote: »
    Go away and don’t post in this thread again or you’re getting a week off

Ah right, this is for cheerleaders not for discussion.

If

Ah right, this is for cheerleaders not for discussion.

Bye!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,497 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Met Shane in a pub in NYC after his decent finish at Bethpage and he was a gent.

Bit cool to think he's on the cusp of this. Not often you talk to a Major winner :D

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Yes when he was 4 ahead of the field at the start of the Final Round of the US Open in 2016 he then shot 6 over and finished 2nd 3 behind Johnson. Still if he got to that position again that experience should be useful to him.

Amazingly he's now starting the Final Round in the same position. Hopefully different result this time and he lifts that Major.

Go on lowry, hopefully things go his way tomorrow..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Unreal stuff, cheered him on goodo on Friday, the roars when he sunk those birdies was deafening, please let this happen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,989 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

He seems to be a decent spud, would be great for him to pull this off. Would set him for life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭abff

Really hope that he pushes on and wins tomorrow. As for that g******e who queried his Irishness, get a life!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,780 ✭✭✭Trampas

His return to form have anything to do with getting someone with a bit of experience on the bag

Trampas wrote: »
    His return to form have anything to do with getting someone with a bit of experience on the bag
    No. He’s the one who has to hit the shots

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,780 ✭✭✭Trampas

So his caddy just carries the bag and doesn’t say anything to Shane bar how’s it cutting and what did you watch on tv last night. Didn’t realise his caddy doesn’t give him any advice at all. Such contrast to other golfers

If you had listened to the lengthy exchange between Shane and his caddy before he played his approach shot to the 10th yesterday, I think you might change your mind.

I think his caddy has a key role to play in keeping him calm today and in helping him to make the right decisions under what is bound to be enormous pressure.

It would be great to see Shane make a fast start today, but I think a wise head on the bag will help to keep him from becoming over aggressive.

Fingers crossed!

Trampas wrote: »
    So his caddy just carries the bag and doesn’t say anything to Shane bar how’s it cutting and what did you watch on tv last night. Didn’t realise his caddy doesn’t give him any advice at all. Such contrast to other golfers

Does a good caddy help? It sure can but he had an experienced one on the bag when he let the US Open too...

abff wrote: »
    If you had listened to the lengthy exchange between Shane and his caddy before he played his approach shot to the 10th yesterday, I think you might change your mind.

I think his caddy has a key role to play in keeping him calm today and in helping him to make the right decisions under what is bound to be enormous pressure.

It would be great to see Shane make a fast start today, but I think a wise head on the bag will help to keep him from becoming over aggressive.

Fingers crossed!

Indeed he was but ultimately Shane hit the shot. It could have gone anywhere but thankfully it ran out perfectly.

Getting a bit nervy now. Three bogeys in four holes, including two 3 putts.

A birdie on the par 5 12th would be just the tonic he needs.

Paging thread title change...

So now the question is...does he push on and get a couple more?

This was such a front running demolition he should spring on from this. An excellent way to win with no caveats or questions like some other winners

• Advertisement

Legend...

Thread Title Updated.....couldn't wait any longer, once that iron found the fairway that is it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭stockdam

Brilliant performance by Shane. A great 4 rounds of golf around a difficult course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Great to see Alan Lowry there also, some player in his own right.

The great achievements in irish sport are usually a tense affair. Shane strolled in from Saturday!

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

Just brilliant

An absolutely massive 2 fingers to anyone who has slagged him off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Super to see Padraig waiting to congratulate him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭stockdam

The weather today probably played a part as none of the top contenders got a run going. Having said that, the course is very tricky and easy to go on a run of bogeys or worse.

Best golfer won it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭basillarkin

What world ranking now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

I don't follow golf but delighted to see Lowry winning it.Seen him on the Brendan O'Connor show a few weeks ago and he came across as a very likeable man,unlike a lot of the other golfers with their fake American accents calling one another "Guys"

Advertisement