Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shane Lowry - 2019 Champion Golfer of The Year (note first post please for posting guidance)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭bmay529

and he bags $668,800 for joint 2nd place which could have been even more had Simpson not got that brilliant if lucky chip-in birdie on the 18th

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

Where does he figure in Fed ex cup rankings or does he not maybe as he is not on PGA your officially ??

Golfhead65 wrote: »
    Where does he figure in Fed ex cup rankings or does he not maybe as he is not on PGA your officially ??

PGA Tour

• Registered Users Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭sxt

Golfhead65 wrote: »

65 th in FedEx standings

• Registered Users Posts: 5,722 ✭✭✭abff

Good recovery in the second round to make the cut. Let's hope he can have a decent weekend to improve his position in the rankings.

What does he need to do to regain his PGATour card?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

abff wrote: »
    Good recovery in the second round to make the cut. Let's hope he can have a decent weekend to improve his position in the rankings.

Am open to correction on this, but i think he is in line to get a card for next season if he can maintain his position in the Fed Ex rankings. Not quite certain whether it entitles him to full membership or not, but i believe if you can finish in the top 125 on the Fed Ex list then it qualifies you for at least a temporary tour card. Like i say, i am open to correction. Otherwise the only ways to get a card are through the web dot com tour or by winning a major or regular PGA tour event.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Old diesel

abff wrote: »

Am open to correction on this, but i think he is in line to get a card for next season if he can maintain his position in the Fed Ex rankings. Not quite certain whether it entitles him to full membership or not, but i believe if you can finish in the top 125 on the Fed Ex list then it qualifies you for at least a temporary tour card. Like i say, i am open to correction. Otherwise the only ways to get a card are through the web dot com tour or by winning a major or regular PGA tour event.

Is there a qualifying school as per European tour????.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,072 ✭✭✭bren2001

Old diesel wrote: »
    Is there a qualifying school as per European tour????.

No, Q-school only gets you into the Web.com tours.

Shanes options are:
    1. Win an event.
    2. Stay inside the top 125 on the Fed Ex.

Both will give him a full tour card (so all events except majors and WGCs). That's if Shane wants a PGA card. This model might be working for him of mainly Europe with a bit of USA.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 950 ✭✭✭mickmackmcgoo

I read that he isn't gonna plày a lot next year in the states, only majors and world championships. Wants to concentrate on Ryder cup qualifying and feels best way is through European tour points rather than world points as there is 5 spots from European list and the 4 from world list would probably be Rory. Rahm. Rose etc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,722 ✭✭✭abff

That kind of rings a bell. I think I remember players being granted a temporary card if they earned more than the 125th placed player in the money list (this was prior to the FedEx Cup).

So he would have playing privileges for next season, but would not be eligible for this season's play offs?

• Advertisement

Nice birdie on 18 for second subpar round in a row. Currently T42, and with others inevitably dropping back he'll be finely poised to attack a top 20 finish tomorrow.

Nice birdie on 18 for second subpar round in a row. Currently T42, and with others inevitably dropping back he'll be finely poised to attack a top 20 finish tomorrow.

Yeah nice and steady from Shane and by end of play he will probably be near top 20 but as for PGA card I think as he said himself he'll dip in and out but play mainly European your. A lot are cross overs anyhow WGCs Majors etc and once he is inside world's top 50 he qualifies anyhow so the odd other tournament Canadian open and so on he would be close to playing the minimum amount to keep card..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

3 PGA Tour top 10s, and $1.5m in 2019 this far. Pretty good haul for him, delighted to see it. Jumped 4 places from 65 to 61 in FedEx. Is 31 in OWGR.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭Glebee

Just switched on to see Lowys drive on the 13th in Lahinch..
    Wayward drive followed by "Oh Sh1t" from Lowry :D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Glebee wrote: »
    Just switched on to see Lowys drive on the 13th in Lahinch..
    Wayward drive followed by "Oh Sh1t" from Lowry :D:D:D:D

Haha, saw that myself

https://twitter.com/RTEgolf/status/1146734698204262402

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I was expecting the F-word!!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,087 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Leader!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Really really hope this thread title has to be changed on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭Glebee

Keep it up Shane you beauty...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,284 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Would be great to see him win this.

On the 18th and his second shot it was clearly getting to him that he has a real chance. If he can find a way to handle those moments over the next two days, he could win. He has the game to win it.

• Advertisement

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Would be great to see him win this.

On the 18th and his second shot it was clearly getting to him that he has a real chance. If he can find a way to handle those moments over the next two days, he could win. He has the game to win it.

Weirdly I feel his best chance is if he falls back into the pack until Sunday afternoon.
    Happy for him to prove me wrong though!
    You need to get used to the butterflies that appear when you are in this position, not sure he has enough of that experience yet.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

True. Might be slightly less pressure coming from one or two behind and by not playing in the final group.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,284 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

GreeBo wrote: »
    Weirdly I feel his best chance is if he falls back into the pack until Sunday afternoon.
    Happy for him to prove me wrong though!
    You need to get used to the butterflies that appear when you are in this position, not sure he has enough of that experience yet.

Yes when he was 4 ahead of the field at the start of the Final Round of the US Open in 2016 he then shot 6 over and finished 2nd 3 behind Johnson. Still if he got to that position again that experience should be useful to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Followed him yesterday for a good bit. He must be under serious pressure, cheered on to every green and cheered off it regardless of the score. I know we the spectators are just urging him on but it probably doesn’t help him.

I really hope he wins it though, he is good enough for a major win and this would be a perfect one.

etxp wrote: »
    Followed him yesterday for a good bit. He must be under serious pressure, cheered on to every green and cheered off it regardless of the score. I know we the spectators are just urging him on but it probably doesn’t help him.

I really hope he wins it though, he is good enough for a major win and this would be a perfect one.

He does seem to enjoy the crowds and support but i guess nerves are natural... you just need to get used to how they feel. Nerves are good, means something important is happening!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

No harm in him having a little wobble yesterday while still remaining top, it might make him cope better today. First few holes are crucial, needs to get a birdie on the board and be aggressive when the opportunities are there, he needs to go out to win it, not to not lose it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Lowry is portrayed as a proud Irishman so why did he choose to skip the olympics when he actually had the rare chance to represent Ireland in the biggest sporting event in the word?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Dots1982 wrote: »
    Lowry is portrayed as a proud Irishman so why did he choose to skip the olympics when he actually had the rare chance to represent Ireland in the biggest sporting event in the word?

He was away on a stags that weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

ForeRight wrote: »
    He was away on a stags that weekend.

Ah sur

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Dots1982 wrote: »
    Ah sur

Sorry I thought you were playing a game of say something silly

Advertisement