Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Golf coverage/commentator discussion thread!! Mod note #12

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,062 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Not mad on the American commentary, but I sort of prefer the 'featured groups' approach to regular golf coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Not mad on the American commentary, but I sort of prefer the 'featured groups' approach to regular golf coverage.

As long as they are featuring the people who matter.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

As a point of record, The womens' world cup took RTE preference over our own international golf open.

Even GAA pundits bullshighting after a qualifier for 20 minutes is pushing it. I know the score now show me the golf please.

Women's soccer?

Name me one player playing in that womens' cup final, no googling please.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Yea pretty shocking scheduling- golf almost over

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    As a point of record, The womens' world cup took RTE preference over our own international golf open.

Even GAA pundits bullshighting after a qualifier for 20 minutes is pushing it. I know the score now show me the golf please.

Women's soccer?

We are eejits to pay a license fee.
    The only real Irish Golfing event on our calander.
    Yet RTE decide to delete most important 30 mins of the event..

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Women's soccer?

Megan Rapinoe of the USA team mainly because of her anti Trump comments.

Anyway Jon Rahm is going to win a second Irish Open in 3 years so let`s congratulate him for his excellent performance..

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭paulos53

??

It is on RTE1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

It was on RTE News Now for those 30 minutes

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

RikkFlair wrote: »

They could have at least let us know.

Diabolical.

Fair play cork boy for taking an interest in womens' soccer, I prefer the Tennis players myself:p.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

RikkFlair wrote: »
    They could have at least let us know.

Diabolical.

Fair play cork boy for taking an interest in womens' soccer, I prefer the Tennis players myself:p.

There was a flash message just before they went off air on RTE2 that it was switching to RTE News Now, never heard of it, I had to tune it in

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,846 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

slave1 wrote: »
    There was a flash message just before they went off air on RTE2 that it was switching to RTE News Now, never heard of it, I had to tune it in

and Hugh Cahill said it.
    can't really do more than that, sure BBC do that kind of stuff all the time

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Never heard of RTE News Now? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Never heard of RTE News Now? :confused:

Haven't heard of it either TBH.

Haven't heard of it either TBH.

Really?

Its a 24 hour news channel operating for about 10 years and is carried on just about every platform from Facebook to Saorview.

Hard to miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

First Up wrote: »
    Really?

Its a 24 hour news channel operating for about 10 years and is carried on just about every platform from Facebook to Saorview.

Hard to miss.

Rings a bell but wouldn't know where to watch it. I have Sky and have never stumbled across it on that platform.

Rings a bell but wouldn't know where to watch it. I have Sky and have never stumbled across it on that platform.

Try 521

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Blinky Plebum

Sky Extends exclusive rights deal or Open Championship coverage until 2024

https://www.skysports.com/golf/news/14866/11759973/the-open-sky-sports-live-coverage-deal-with-r-a-extended-to-2024

Terrible short sightedness from the R & A .

Have they not noticed what being on the BBC has done for Womens Soccer and what being on Sky has done for the Cricket World Cup.

If the sport had any sense all 4 majors would be on Free To Air and if Sky want to broadcast them they can have coverage aswell just not exclusive coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,364 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

What has Sky done to the Cricket World Cup?

Their coverage of it has been brilliant.

callaway92 wrote: »
    What has Sky done to the Cricket World Cup?

Their coverage of it has been brilliant.

The viewership figures are miles below what they would be if it was on one of the free to air channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

All about the $$$

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,364 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

The viewership figures are miles below what they would be if it was on one of the free to air channels.

As a viewer, their coverage is far beyond what anyone else could do, so I don't mind in that regards.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,082 ✭✭✭bren2001

As a viewer, their coverage is far beyond what anyone else could do, so I don't mind in that regards.

I do think Sky do a fantastic job but when you boil it all down I don't really give a rats ass about their Open zone or any of the additional stuff they do. It's not what I remember the next week or the next year. Ultimately, I just want them to show golfers playing golf. That's it. I'd much much much prefer to see it on the BBC or any free-to-air channel.

skys coverage of most sports is excellent, problem for golf is it doesn't function as a great advertisement for the sport as not enough people get to see it.

The golfing authorities should view the 4 majors as a way of selling the sport to the public and increasing interest, so they should be trying everything they can to maximise the audience for the 4 majors.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

..but the "golfing authorities" don't control the majors.
    The Masters is a standalone competition with no input from anyone other than the Augusta committee, technically it's an invite competition.
    The PGA is a PGA competition (nothing to do with the PGA Tour).

Neither of these events have anything to do with either the R&A or the USGA who are the Governing Bodies of golf so they can't intervene.
    Up until the formation of the PGA Tour in the US the PGA (Major) played to different rules even than those of the USGA/R&A

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

bren2001 wrote:
    I'd much much much prefer to see it on the BBC or any free-to-air channel.

Fair enough but BBC have only two channels and have a lot of things other than golf to fit in.

It was customary for BBC Northern Ireland (which we get) to switch away from the final round of the Open or Scottish Open to cover Armagh v Tyrone or suchlike.

..but the "golfing authorities" don't control the majors.
    The Masters is a standalone competition with no input from anyone other than the Augusta committee, technically it's an invite competition.
    The PGA is a PGA competition (nothing to do with the PGA Tour).

Neither of these events have anything to do with either the R&A or the USGA who are the Governing Bodies of golf so they can't intervene.
    Up until the formation of the PGA Tour in the US the PGA (Major) played to different rules even than those of the USGA/R&A

Well the last few comments are related to the Open which the R&A have full control over. In my view, it is their responsibility to grow the game and it should be on fta tv for this reason.
    Fair enough but BBC have only two channels and have a lot of things other than golf to fit in.

It was customary for BBC Northern Ireland (which we get) to switch away from the final round of the Open or Scottish Open to cover Armagh v Tyrone or suchlike.

Yeah, that is one issue with the BBC. It is hard to block out entire days for golf and I don't really mind it being on BBC 3 on Thursday/Friday. It should be made part of the contract that the final x number of groups on Saturday and Sunday are shown on BBC1/2. Their snooker coverage can be appalling at times. If the BBC don't want it, I'm sure ITV or some other fta service would pick it up.

bren2001 wrote:
    Yeah, that is one issue with the BBC. It is hard to block out entire days for golf and I don't really mind it being on BBC 3 on Thursday/Friday. It should be made part of the contract that the final x number of groups on Saturday and Sunday are shown on BBC1/2. Their snooker coverage can be appalling at times. If the BBC don't want it, I'm sure ITV or some other fta service would pick it up.

ITV has no relationship with golf and it doesn't fit with their advertiser profile.

Sky's golf coverage is immeasurably better than what BBC can put into it as a "public service" broadcaster. Golf attracts the right kind of audience for higher end advertisers and as a result they pay more.

If you are serious about watching golf or indeed almost any sport, then you get Sky. There is no point in arguing about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

ITV has no relationship with golf and it doesn't fit with their advertiser profile.

Sky's golf coverage is immeasurably better than what BBC can put into it as a "public service" broadcaster. Golf attracts the right kind of audience for higher end advertisers and as a result they pay more.

If you are serious about watching golf or indeed almost any sport, then you get Sky. There is no point in arguing about it.

Plenty of greats of the game become familiar with it by watching it on the tv as a kid. They may or may not have come from families interested in golf.

With it moved to Sky it takes it out of the living room of a huge amount of households, and would be future golfers will end up doing something else.

It's not just about keeping the serious golfers watching, it's about keeping the numbers up of people who are serious about watching golf.

Golf is less of a talking point than in years gone by, the same way the Ashes became less visible has become relative to what it was 10 years ago, and the same way people's interest in Wimbledon would collapse if it went to Sky.

ligerdub wrote:
    Plenty of greats of the game become familiar with it by watching it on the tv as a kid. They may or may not have come from families interested in golf.

Without some proper research I think that is just speculation. Most people I know (and know of) picked up golf from their dad or other family member or maybe school. I'm not saying TV doesn't help but I seriously doubt it make much difference if its on Sky or BBC.

• Advertisement

I was just referring to ITV so as to not restrict any fta discussion to the BBC.

How is Skys coverage "immeasureably" better? Do the players hit better shots because there's a Sky camera on the course over the BBC? Sky do have a much more professional setup and it is nice to watch the build up etc. but when the golf starts theres little to no difference between the two.

I disagree there's no point in arguing it. Yes, if you're "serious" about sport you buy Sky but only because Sky have the rights. I think we'd all prefer everything to be fta (obviously not possible). Do BT (or Sky back in the day) do a better job than RTE for the Champions League? Do Sky do a better job than RTE for the Ireland friendlies? No, just because it's on a premium channel that doesn't mean it becomes an immeasureably better sport in some form.

Just in relation to your speculation comment the ESRI, Fair Play? Sport and social disadvantage in Ireland is research that has studied some of the effects of this. There is a plethora of research indicating that free to air television leads to higher participation rates.

Advertisement