Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion 2013/14

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

I don't think they'll become electric here though. Conditions don't look favorable today apart from around southwest and west coasts.

Agreed,there might be some residual stuff left in those,but warm and all as the sea has become,its simply isn't warm enough to sustain the sferics in those en route,we'll see.
    Big question is what circulation any monster storms Monday into Tuesday over GB get tracked into and whether those drift this way.
    We'll see.
    Most of the energy for home grown storms looks like being washed out.
    Undoubtedly there'll be some,but I think storm lovers will be looking across the Irish sea again in envy as there's going to be plentiful energy there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,121 ✭✭✭pad199207

New Storms have fired North of Cornwall

• Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭V_Moth

pad199207 wrote: »

The centre of this one has just gone white :eek: on raintoday (>50mm rain) - heading for west Waterford. Sat 24 shows a few strikes as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

pad199207 wrote: »

Yeah it's producing some lightning now despite conditions not looking good around there on the models. Will be interesting to see if it makes it to the south coast or fizzles out.

GdpLq5x.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Just home from work , was amazing to see the storm off the SW going strong for so long !
    Imagine that being over land!? , would of caused flash flooding no doubt!

Will be interesting watching the are to the SE . I think later on tonight as the warm plume enters the english channel , anything that gets going has the chance to stay active as midlevel instability increases over night.

Gonna need a power nap to be in RadarWatch Mode tonight! lol

• Advertisement

Still producing some lightning. Looks multicellular now on radar.

puLs9n1.jpg

Still producing some lightning. Looks multicellular now on radar.

puLs9n1.jpg

Yep , was just gonna say that .

Interesting day ahead. :)

263524.jpg

An radar estimate of Over 100mm fell in that cell to the SW in the last 12hours !

263531.png

The cell off the south coast looks to be expanding a fair bit on IR in the last 30 minutes.

YRNO precip chart has it reaching the southeast coast around 6pm.

Still producing lightning, not a lot though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

Oh please tell me that's heading for cork city

• Advertisement

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    Oh please tell me that's heading for cork city

DouglasCartland.gif

blsKUc2.gif

The cell off the south coast looks to be expanding a fair bit on IR in the last 30 minutes.

YRNO precip chart has it reaching the southeast coast around 6pm.

Still producing lightning, not a lot though.

Yep , lovely top on it now !
    263533.png

Oh to have airplane view of that now ! :(

WOW :eek:

263534.png

Some of the smaller cells around it are firing up now.

OJEs5lu.jpg

Waterford / Wexford... THunderstorm Watch : 4pm - 9pm .... enjoy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

Looks like the S/E are going to see some action soon.

image.ashx?type=lightning-12&time=

• Registered Users Posts: 6,150 ✭✭✭highdef

Iancar29 wrote: »

And maybe some other eastern counties later??? With the land being so warm, could these aid further development? Would love a light show as we head into darkness

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Looking at Sat24, that cell seems to be taking a more northerly track. Should hit Wexford alright...then up the N11 straight to south Dublin! :)

It's impressive considering very little CAPE and +5 LI. Encouraging for the days ahead for sure.

ukcapeli.png

I just hope it doesn't head too far northeast and misses the southeast completely.

Still growing on IR...although it hasn't produced any lightning in the past 20 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,833 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

How completely random it looks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭vickers209

Wicklow maybe?? Or will it die as it heads overland

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

vickers209 wrote: »
    Wicklow maybe?? Or will it die as it heads overland

I wouldn't hold out too much hope. I have seen those sort of storms die a death once they hit land.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

That bunch off the southeast have intensified on latest radar echo but no guarantees of any thunder by the time it reaches the coast.

DOCARCH wrote: »
    I wouldn't hold out too much hope. I have seen those sort of storms die a death once they hit land.

For what it's worth, 0Z yrno precip chart has nailed it so far and that shows the precip continuing up the country this evening and overnight. Whether it would still be producing lightning then though, I dunno...

At least we have something to watch now! :pac:

At least we have something to watch now! :pac:

Indeed...and see if the radar still works! :P

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Looking at its movement on Sat it looks like it may just clip East Waterford with Wexford definitely in its path.

11pm this evening...

1002129_10200954564960860_1564818606_n.jpg

acb.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 33,730 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I want my thunderstorm...looks good for Kilkenny with rain at least. I know in the past the thunder element of it sometimes dies in these scenarios but good for those at the coast at least.
    Have to wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Still producing the odd bolt of lightning. http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=lightning;sess=

• Advertisement

Strike rate is down to 1 per 10 minutes.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement