Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autumn 2020 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,324 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Glorious in Dublin again, have a feeling that once that low sea cloud makes its way over from Wales to here that will be the end of the sun for several days here, hope I'm wrong.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

This spell is a complete reversal of the August spell where we had the heat and sunshine and the east had all the cloud.

This weather is exactly the same as we had here in the west about 90% of the time in August and also July. A half sunny weekend and I think about one sunny evening was about the guts of what we had last month. September so far has just continued that ongoing theme.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 13,802 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Supercell wrote: »
    Glorious in Dublin again, have a feeling that once that low sea cloud makes its way over from Wales to here that will be the end of the sun for several days here, hope I'm wrong.

bloody cloudy where I am for the last 90 mins or so, hoping it comes out again was beautiful earliler

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Billcarson

pauldry wrote: »
    Thanks Gonzo but that link only goes back to 2017

It would be interesting to see the whole dataset for 30 or 40 years

Yes its going to cool down in next few days but a lot of mild nights (bar one or two) to come so Average wont fall too much.

It would want to fall back somewhat. I find this Sept warmth which will likely lead to sept coming in above average or quite above average dismaying when it comes to our winter prospects.

Whatever chance we have with cool or average Septembers, warm Septembers nowadays are nearly always followed by mild winters.

I was hoping coming out on the other side of solar minimum would help with getting a colder winter this year but this September is a bit of a blow to my Hope's.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,891 ✭✭✭pauldry

Yeah cold Winter hopes are very slim but maybe an old extreme event like the beast from the East might keep us happy if it were to pass.

Even the North Pole is struggling to hold onto its cold these days so what hope have we bar a few polar fronts being sent further South

This cloud is annoying. Though today was going to be very warm then cloud came and ruined it. Even some echoes showing on map in line with showers predicted.

Weekend looks very nice though. 18c and sunny. Just like lockdown was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,523 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

pauldry wrote: »
    Also where do I get mean temperature data for each month?

This seems like an incredibly warm September with average around 15c (IMT) so far.

Whats the warmest?

2006 was between 15 and 16c average. Is that the target?

Warmest Septembers since 1967 based on the IMT.

2006 15.0C
    1971 14.3C
    1985 14.2C
    1998 14.0C
    1999 14.0C
    2004 14.0C

2020 is standing at 15.1C to 15th.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Without a doubt, September and May are by far the most reliable. I have so many memories of returning to school in September and the weather always being nice. August in particular is so hit and miss. Even June tends to be much better than July and August

Gonzo wrote: »
    another beautiful sunny warmish day here in Meath. Easily the best spell of weather we've had since the end of May. Summer was the worst I've ever come across, while this won't make up for it, it is certainly most welcome. It is surprising how regularly September is nearly always better than July and August most years.

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Warmest Septembers since 1967 based on the IMT.

2006 15.0C
    1971 14.3C
    1985 14.2C
    1998 14.0C
    1999 14.0C
    2004 14.0C

2020 is standing at 15.1C to 15th.

Apart from 1985 all followed by poor winters for cold/ snow

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Already warmer than yesterday. 23.8c in South Laois

Not as warm as last few days but such a beautiful sunny day in Dublin. Those blue skies just make such a difference

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Hottest day of the year! Well it feels like it due to lack of air movement.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,288 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Alternated a few times now between blue skies and sea clouds here in Portmarnock

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

still a nice day here in Meath but probably the coolest day we've had since Saturday and more cloud around too. Reached 20C here earlier, back to 19C now and I expect another few degree's will get shaven off by this evening.

The cooler air has already taken over much of the UK and Northern Ireland and is edging into Louth/Meath and Dublin as the afternoon goes on.

Clouded over here in Ashbourne, nice cooling breeze 18.6c

• Registered Users Posts: 23,836 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Bank of fog and low cloud drawing in over Dublin now. Sandymount out to Dun Laoghaire misty and cooler the last while.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Billcarson wrote: »
    Clouded over here in Ashbourne, nice cooling breeze 18.6c

can see a big layer of foggy looking cloud moving my way from Ashbourne, sun still shining here but probably not much left in it.

I get the feeling the east/Dublin/Meath is going back to misty cloudy conditions.

Gonzo wrote: »
    can see a big layer of foggy looking cloud moving my way from Ashbourne, sun still shining here but probably not much left in it.

I get the feeling the east/Dublin/Meath is going back to misty cloudy conditions.

There are breaks in it certainly feels cooler then yesterday

Billcarson wrote: »
    There are breaks in it certainly feels cooler then yesterday

yeah temperatures now are about 4C down on this time yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,802 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Sun been gone over an hour in D5, come back out please

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭compsys

Supercell wrote: »

Well the cloud has well and truly arrived.

Lovely morning in Dun Laoghaire where I am but totally overcast and cool enough now.

As I always say, Ireland, in particular the east, in summer must be one of the few places in the world where low pressure often equals good weather and high pressure equals cloudy weather! Go figure.

The forecast out to Monday is supposed to be sunny and settled but the question now is whether this cloud is going to stick around for days on end like in August.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Bank of fog and low cloud drawing in over Dublin now. Sandymount out to Dun Laoghaire misty and cooler the last while.

Has rolled in here to Dublin 16 now. 17.8c atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Without a doubt, September and May are by far the most reliable. I have so many memories of returning to school in September and the weather always being nice. August in particular is so hit and miss. Even June tends to be much better than July and August

For me I usually find April to early June is the best chance for dry sunny weather, not necessarily warm but still nice after a long winter.

The Atlantic has usually started to wake up by September so I've never found it particularly great on this side of the country, probably a different story on the east coast though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Low cloud here in D14 too now for the past while, 18.2c.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Was a lovely day in Dublin CC u til around 4ish? Became a bit foggy and cooler but still was a lovely few days compares to at home in Cork I heard

cooler air now across the eastern and northern half of the country, any remaining warmth is now confined to the mid west.

Tomorrow looks cooler again particularly for Dublin and northern coasts with a cool onshore breeze keeping temperatures around mid teens with high teens further inland. Could still reach 20 or 21C in parts of the west tomorrow.

Still a mix of sun and partial cloud here in D5. Very pleasant if not the warmth of previous days. Great run of weather though. My weather app seems to be suggesting dry with mix of sun and cloud right up to Tuesday for Dublin. Does that seem about right in terms of staying dry until then?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭compsys

Still a mix of sun and partial cloud here in D5. Very pleasant if not the warmth of previous days. Great run of weather though. My weather app seems to be suggesting dry with mix of sun and cloud right up to Tuesday for Dublin. Does that seem about right in terms of staying dry until then?

The problem is cloud, which seems notoriously difficult to forecast correctly in Ireland. Particularly in coastal areas.

It’ll be largely dry until Tuesday in the east. Whether it’ll be largely sunny as forecast remains to be seen.

At this time of year, under settled conditions, mist can also become a problem. How quick any mist will burn off each morning also remains to be seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,891 ✭✭✭pauldry

Think airflow becomes more Northeasterly at weekend so definitely a higher chance of sun in the West

Just wondering what could have been in Sligo. It's been 22c the past 2 days and completely cloudy. With sun we could have had 25c

Back to 18c at weekend but if sunny I'll take it

Happy enough as long as it’s dry to be honest. Have things to do this weekend and continued dry weather would be most welcome
    compsys wrote: »
    The problem is cloud, which seems notoriously difficult to forecast correctly in Ireland. Particularly in coastal areas.

It’ll be largely dry until Tuesday in the east. Whether it’ll be largely sunny as forecast remains to be seen.

At this time of year, under settled conditions, mist can also become a problem. How quick any mist will burn off each morning also remains to be seen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

A very warm evening here in the west with Athenry 21 degrees at 7pm
    Claremorris,Newport and Belmullet 20 degrees. Together with little or no wind its turned into a very pleasant evening for being outdoors

Advertisement