Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autumn 2020 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

The September mean for Dunsany is now sitting at 15.1C, the first time we have reached a 15C mean this year after the cool summer. This is more than 2C above average for the time of year, some stations like Oak Park are almost 16C. Most stations fairly dry too with most of the rainfall totals from the first few days of the month.

A substantial cooling next week could lead to the September temperature anomolies crashing, we could easily shave off a degree or two from the anomolies if we get a few days near single digits and frosty nights.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,880 ✭✭✭pauldry

Yes a couple of days look like 11c and 3c at night

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Skies eventually cleared here during the late morning so a nice blue sky day all round. A rare treat to behold in this most grimmest of years.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭compsys

Gonzo wrote: »
    The September mean for Dunsany is now sitting at 15.1C, the first time we have reached a 15C mean this year after the cool summer. This is more than 2C above average for the time of year, some stations like Oak Park are almost 16C. Most stations fairly dry too with most of the rainfall totals from the first few days of the month.

A substantial cooling next week could lead to the September temperature anomolies crashing, we could easily shave off a degree or two from the anomolies if we get a few days near single digits and frosty nights.

Some of the overnight lows in recent months and years in Ireland have been pretty 'impressive' given the warming climate.

This May saw temps down to -3º almost in Mullingar and Dublin Airport!! (both records I think?) and it got down to 3º in June.

If we stay true to form, next week we could see temps close to freezing in places at night meaning some stations may not end up that far above their September mean.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Don't think I saw a cloud in the sky today and tonight is clear apart from some cloud on the Northern horizon . Got up to 21.4C at my site out her in the countryside near Tralee and tonight dropping quickly, 13.8C now.

Pic: Tralee about 09.45 today

e8n7yE4.jpg?1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Monkeynut

^^^^^^^^^
    Great Picture, Post Card Quality

Its lovely that there is some dryness lately.

Cut the grass. Trim back the shrubs.

The side alley was full of crap. Cleaned it up, brushed and brushed all the gunk off the concrete. Its suffers from being wet. Now you can sit out in it and feel happy.

Last week i was like omg the state of the place.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Monkeynut wrote: »
    ^^^^^^^^^
    Great Picture, Post Card Quality

Its lovely that there is some dryness lately.

Cut the grass. Trim back the shrubs.

The side alley was full of crap. Cleaned it up, brushed and brushed all the gunk off the concrete. Its suffers from being wet. Now you can sit out in it and feel happy.

Last week i was like omg the state of the place.

Oh thanks, a bit stagey but certainly felt better than most summer days today, put me in the mood for taking a few pics. Been a great spell all right for getting work done outside and windows wide open for the last few days. The only problem here is an influx of flies lately, bit glad of the colder weather coming to keep the numbers down. The weekend looks like nice weather for the hills here in Kerry, will be packing a flask and getting out for a few hours.

ApeqzNR.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,880 ✭✭✭pauldry

A lot of cloud to the South of us.

At least Met Eireann are confident this will have no effect on our weather at the weekend. Not even mentioned for South.

Hardly going to have to write in tomorrows forecast "a little more cloud at times in the South and West with sunshine more hazy there"

To me from the satellite it does look like that

• Registered Users Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Todays max:

Newport 21.5 degrees
    Valentia 21.3
    Mace head 20.2
    Shannon 20.1

(Much cooler in the east with onshore breeze:Casement and Dublin airport both maxing out at 15.1 degrees)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,117 ✭✭✭pad199207

Todays max:

Newport 21.5 degrees
    Valentia 21.3
    Mace head 20.2
    Shannon 20.1

(Much cooler in the east with onshore breeze:Casement and Dublin airport both maxing out at 15.1 degrees)

Yeah very noticeable here today just down the road from casement. High of only 15.5°c

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Carol25

Lovely weather on Salthill earlier, thankfully the cloud lifted today much earlier than yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Carol25 wrote: »
    Lovely weather on Salthill earlier, thankfully the cloud lifted today much earlier than yesterday.

Jealous. Cool and cloudy today. Meath. Told parents to call today from Galway. Maybe they should have stayed in the sunshine in the West.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭appledrop

Real autumnal feel out there today. No sunshine whatsoever in NCD.

Cant complain since last weekend we have had the best 'summer' weather of the year in Dublin.

A whole week of lovely sunny weather. Pity I was in work for most of it but enjoyed it when I could.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭esposito

Very disappointing so far today in Dublin - cool and overcast. Was expecting sunshine and that’s what Met Eireann were forecasting. Hopefully it will brighten up for the afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Still dry but definitely autumnal in North Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Lovely morning in cork city, blue skies and around 16 degrees

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Very cold in North Dublin today. Temperature reading about 14C, but it feels colder than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Another stunner in Donegal, clear cloudless skies and barely a breath of wind. About as good a day as it's possible to get at this time of year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭daniel_t1409

Another nice day on wexford but with an easterly wind that is quite strong and blowing things around the garden. Cold too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Long spells of sunshine in Castlebar. Warm when doing a bit in the garden. Cool if not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Gorgeous, cloudless day here in Cork. Sitting in shorts and t-shirt in back garden for last hour. Perfect

compsys wrote: »
    The problem is cloud, which seems notoriously difficult to forecast correctly in Ireland. Particularly in coastal areas.

It’ll be largely dry until Tuesday in the east. Whether it’ll be largely sunny as forecast remains to be seen.

At this time of year, under settled conditions, mist can also become a problem. How quick any mist will burn off each morning also remains to be seen.

Well as I predicted the cloud, which wasn't forecast, has well and truly arrived.

I can't complaint too much as the weather for September has been very good by Irish standards. I just wish ME could forecast cloud cover better - surely they should be able to tell around 24 hours out where the cloud bank will be?

Even my iPhone app was telling me today would be cloudy whereas MET E were going for unbroken sunshine - in fact there's still no real mention of the cloud on their forecasts.

Hopefully tomorrow and Monday are sunnier.

Lovely warm day in Tralee getting up to 19.1C and slightly below that now at 18.2C

Got down to 7.2C last night giving a fine fresh clear morning.

Bits of mid level and high wispy cloud about but sunshine all day.

https://worldview.earthdata.nasa.gov/

KTdWp3B.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭BringBackMick

The sun is out in Donabate now after a mostly cloudy day until 330pm.

Certainly a chill in that breeze, autumn is a coming

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

feeling very chilly today just put the heating on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭appledrop

Finally got a bit of sunshine this evening in NCD.

Still nippy though. Autumn seems to be finally here.

Beautiful Sept so far. Dont think its rained for about 10 days in Dublin, apart from shower one night but gone by morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

A beautiful September eve here in Central Mayo. The blue skies of the past few days have been a real tonic after too many days of greyness. There is a lovely stillness about this evening and it is shaping up for a nice sunset. The one thing missing is the groups of increasingly restless and giddy swallows that were gathering on nearby phone lines over the past few days and weeks. Not a sign of them today. I miss their chatter on an evening like this. I like to think that they arrived in the spring in blue skies and departed in blue skies. We will forget about the middle bit! Good luck to them.

Sun finally came out around 5pm in Dublin, which is par for the course on days like this.

Went for a stroll by the pier around 6.30pm - beautiful sunset.

It felt surprisingly milder than I'd expected though. With the brisk sea breeze coming in off the Irish sea, which is still close to its warmest, it meant temps of around 14 degrees, which was close to the day's max anyway.

BBC, my iPhone and MET E all forecasting a sunny day for tomorrow so let's hope its transpires this time for Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

A good contender for best day of the year today, warm, totally clear and calm all day. A few pics from a day's exploring :)

IMG-20200919-180600.jpg

IMG-20200919-162737.jpg

IMG-20200919-160856.jpg

IMG-20200919-160416.jpg

IMG-20200919-155039.jpg

IMG-20200919-154112.jpg

IMG-20200919-164645.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

^^ stunning!

I must make a promise to myself to visit Donegal some time.

Advertisement