Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autumn 2020 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

obi604 wrote: »
    East Galway - absolutely p1ssing rain for last hour. Like really lashing.

9.9mm at Athenry in the past hour. reporting a heavy rain shower at 9pm

Todays max,similar to yesterdays:

Phoenix park 24.6 degrees
    Gurteen 22.9
    Dunsany 22.8
    Oak Park 22.8
    Dublin Airport 22.7

Very mild/warm tonight with most stations in the high teens @ 9pm

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

esposito wrote: »
    We’ll pay for this in a few weeks won’t we?!

Surely we've earned this with months and months of rubbish

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭obi604

Todays max,similar to yesterdays:

Phoenix park 24.6 degrees
    Gurteen 22.9
    Dunsany 22.8
    Oak Park 22.8
    Dublin Airport 22.7

Very mild/warm tonight with most stations in the high teens @ 9pm

Where do you see the real time temperatures?

Where do you see the real time temperatures?

Met eireann release the max temps for the day usually around 10pm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,880 ✭✭✭pauldry

Is there a place that lists the warmest to coldest average temperature recorded for September year by year. E.g This year must be right up there with some of the warmer Septembers.

Even though Irelands Climate does not seem to be taking on the extreme heat that many areas get these days it's safe to say it's getting a tad warmer but trying to do it without anyone noticing.

18.1c in Sligo at 930pm in September ain't too strange but it ain't very common and these mild nights are certainly on the increase in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭obi604

Met eireann release the max temps for the day usually around 10pm.

Right. But you stated that “most stations in the high teens at 9pm” - which suggested to me you had a way of checking the real time temps.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭appledrop

esposito wrote: »
    We’ll pay for this in a few weeks won’t we?!

Nah we have already paid for it with worse summer ever recorded in Dublin!!!!

Right. But you stated that “most stations in the high teens at 9pm” - which suggested to me you had a way of checking the real time temps.

https://wow.met.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Golden Horde

Blessington lakes today...absolutely beautiful day.

• Advertisement

Oh that link doesnt work properly on my phone like all the maps on the new met Eireann site

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

We hang on to another warm day tomorrow but cooler air will begin to take over and Sea breezes will lower the temperatures across Leinster from early tomorrow afternoon. Tomorrow will probably be the last time many of us reach 20C this year.

fmiuk-41-26-0.png?15-20

I was at Gormanstown beach today and it felt lovely and warm even in the evening, tomorrow could be a much chillier day by the beach with those easterly breezes pegging temperatures back by several degrees compared to today.

Cooler again on Thursday with the easterly winds lowering temperatures further, it will still be warm across the mid west, sheltered from the easterly wind.

fmiuk-41-53-0.png?15-20

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

Why do met eireann have so few weather stations?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭highdef

pauldry wrote: »
    Oh that link doesnt work properly on my phone like all the maps on the new met Eireann site

https://www.met.ie/latest-reports/observations - What about that?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,109 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Why do met eireann have so few weather stations?

Lack of investment really, weather stations can't be established and maintained without appropriate funding.

Incredibly annoying however. Shannon airport does not cover the weather over an area ranging from Connemara down through Clare and Kerry, over to Tipperary.

The same can be said for many other weather stations too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Beautiful sunrise Meath

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Another beautiful morning in Dublin, love September

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

About 20 minutes of very broken sunshine yesterday morning here but that has been our lot out of this spell. Dull, heavily overcast before and since with not even a fleck of a breeze to offer some relief from the heavy humid conditions. This current airmass might be coming from a different source from which most of our summer pattern came, but it has brought no change in actual conditions as all.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Wine Goddess

Glorious morning here in Firhouse Dublin 24! Already sunny and warm.
    Yesterday was beautiful too, I feel sorry for those who are still getting cloudy conditions and/or rain... We deserved a decent few days to make up for the horrendous so-called summer....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

No wind or cloud in Dublin just beautiful blue skies, I feel like it's May again

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Hawthorn Tree

Flat calm on Lough Corrib yesterday. Went for a long kayak and it felt lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Maximum temperature of 23.7°c in Durrow yesterday. Another fine morning with early fog and mist lifted. Already 18.4°c.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭daniel_t1409

Sunny this morning in wexford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭daniel_t1409

Also, this September hasn't been that bad in terms of rainfall, only 10.7mm so far in wexford according to Met, but unfortunately less rain does not equal more sunshine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Miserable dark misty morning in Donegal and now properly raining, so far we've managed about 90 minutes of sun yesterday morning out of this spell (and not much more for the whole month at that).

This spell is a complete reversal of the August spell where we had the heat and sunshine and the east had all the cloud.

highdef wrote: »

Yes that one works but not the widespread temps that wow has.

Can seem to get the zoom features to work on the phone.
    Does anyone else have this issue or is it just me

Also where do I get mean temperature data for each month?

This seems like an incredibly warm September with average around 15c (IMT) so far.

Whats the warmest?

2006 was between 15 and 16c average. Is that the target?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

another beautiful sunny warmish day here in Meath. Easily the best spell of weather we've had since the end of May. Summer was the worst I've ever come across, while this won't make up for it, it is certainly most welcome. It is surprising how regularly September is nearly always better than July and August most years.

pauldry wrote: »
    Also where do I get mean temperature data for each month?

This seems like an incredibly warm September with average around 15c (IMT) so far.

Whats the warmest?

2006 was between 15 and 16c average. Is that the target?

https://www.met.ie/climate/available-data/monthly-data

For my local station of Dunsany, September so far is much warmer than June, July and almost as warm as August. August should have been a cooler than average month as it was a cloudy month with temperatures in the teens for the most part but the night time temperatures were very high and gave a warmer than average month.

The September mean here in Meath is almost 2C above average, however this will come down from tomorrow as cooler air takes over.

September mean - 14.8C, average 13.0C
    August mean - 14.9C, average 14.7C
    July mean - 14.3C, average 15.2C
    June mean - 13.6C, average 13.0C

• Advertisement

Thanks Gonzo but that link only goes back to 2017

It would be interesting to see the whole dataset for 30 or 40 years

Yes its going to cool down in next few days but a lot of mild nights (bar one or two) to come so Average wont fall too much.

Advertisement