Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"FAI blew €69,000 on John Delaney's 50th birthday party"

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 ameathdub

The amount of debt disclosed is staggering for what is by world standards a relatively small sporting organisation. I feel sorry for the 200 or so workers of course - but I remember well the HQ in Merrion sq - and I think it is impossible to imagine there were 200 people in that building.
    Maybe the move to a new campus was too much and a step too far for the board - and maybe the new board whenever thats gets sorted will have no choice but to downscale the FAI. Lets face it International, LOI and local football is in a worse state now than in living memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,892 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

• Registered Users Posts: 24,293 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Niamh Horan exploring the depths of a journalist career as per usual..

• Registered Users Posts: 20,007 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

John Delany is a conman. He managed to convince the FAI that they couldn't manage without him. His remuneration went up and up while other's we t down. He managed the FAI during a period where hasn't improved but they ran up massive debts. And still nobody even questioned his suitability for the role.

There's a bit on the intro to the Second Captains podcast where Denis O Brian says "John Delany could run anything", and that seems to be precisely what he wanted people to believe. Once they believed that, the con was on.

The fact is he milked the organisation, got as much as he could get for himself and allowed it to go to financial ruin. It's not surprising that they spent big sums on his birthday and I wouldn't be surprised at what else emerges over time.

The FAI was lead to believe everything was going brilliantly because that was a necessary part of the con. Now the FAI needs to realise it was a victim of a conman and it needs to do a full audit of the whole organisation to figure out what state of affairs it finds itself now. Whether or not it can survive is at stake.

• Advertisement

John Delany is a conman. He managed to convince the FAI that they couldn't manage without him. His remuneration went up and up while other's we t down. He managed the FAI during a period where hasn't improved but they ran up massive debts. And still nobody even questioned his suitability for the role.

There's a bit on the intro to the Second Captains podcast where Denis O Brian says "John Delany could run anything", and that seems to be precisely what he wanted people to believe. Once they believed that, the con was on.

The fact is he milked the organisation, got as much as he could get for himself and allowed it to go to financial ruin. It's not surprising that they spent big sums on his birthday and I wouldn't be surprised at what else emerges over time.

The FAI was lead to believe everything was going brilliantly because that was a necessary part of the con. Now the FAI needs to realise it was a victim of a conman and it needs to do a full audit of the whole organisation to figure out what state of affairs it finds itself now. Whether or not it can survive is at stake.

A complete and utter conman, and O`Brien was right in a sense. Delaney could run anything, run it into the ground.
    But he didn`t do it on his own.
    It was obvious to a lot of people from as far back as the Aviva premium tickets fiasco that even if doing financial calculations on the back of a matchbox the figures didn`t add up.
    Yet there were numerous AGM`s where no accounts were produced and nobody said boo.
    The FAI auditing accountants aren`t blameless either. They had to know years ago the FAI was insolvent, yet they were happy to take the cash and let it continue trading which the last time I checked is a criminal offence,
    Delaney is a scoundrel but there were a lot more than just him gouging at the trough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭trashcan

Some of us could see from day 1 exactly what he was/is, including most of us who support LOI clubs I'd guess. I'd also suggest that anyone who couldn't see it wasn't looking too hard.

trashcan wrote: »
    Some of us could see from day 1 exactly what he was/is, including most of us who support LOI clubs I'd guess. I'd also suggest that anyone who couldn't see it wasn't looking too hard.

Maybe so. He still managed to take over the organisation. I remember listening to a bloke who was involved at the “grassroots”. The guy loved JD and went to see him speak one time. He came back talking about how important himself and the rest of the “grassroots” were. He used the term grassroots so many times it was clear that he had been charmed by JD and lead to believe that he was very important indeed.

I remember thinking his reverence for JD was based on how important JD made him feel and that’s a warning sign of a conman. He bought people’s approval, not by being excellent at his job, but by telling them THEY were excellent.

I don’t claim to know anything because I’m not involved in football. I just see the FAI as a complete outsider and it’s clear they were victim of a conman.

Maybe so. He still managed to take over the organisation. I remember listening to a bloke who was involved at the “grassroots”. The guy loved JD and went to see him speak one time. He came back talking about how important himself and the rest of the “grassroots” were. He used the term grassroots so many times it was clear that he had been charmed by JD and lead to believe that he was very important indeed.

I remember thinking his reverence for JD was based on how important JD made him feel and that’s a warning sign of a conman. He bought people’s approval, not by being excellent at his job, but by telling them THEY were excellent.

I don’t claim to know anything because I’m not involved in football. I just see the FAI as a complete outsider and it’s clear they were victim of a conman.

You do not pull a con of this scale without henchmen, and you don`t get henchmen unless you take care of them. And I don`t mean people like your lad bought with only words.

Delaney may be the face front and center, but there were more rotten apples in that barrel than him.

charlie14 wrote: »
    You do not pull a con of this scale without henchmen, and you don`t get henchmen unless you take care of them. And I don`t mean people like your lad bought with only words.

Delaney may be the face front and center, but there were more rotten apples in that barrel than him.

Of course. I'm given to understand he stacked the board with people who bought into it too. I don't know how he brought them to his side. It might have been through flattery or promotion or a combination of both.

One good way for a person to get total control is to stack the board (who is supposed to keep a check on things) with people who are not the most knowledgeable or suitable for the job. The people are so protective of their position that they daren't go against the person who appointed them.

I gather JD had control over the FAI board and he had influence over appointing them. It's the perfect storm for a man who wants to milk an organisation for his own benefit.

• Advertisement

Of course. I'm given to understand he stacked the board with people who bought into it too. I don't know how he brought them to his side. It might have been through flattery or promotion or a combination of both.

One good way for a person to get total control is to stack the board (who is supposed to keep a check on things) with people who are not the most knowledgeable or suitable for the job. The people are so protective of their position that they daren't go against the person who appointed them.

I gather JD had control over the FAI board and he had influence over appointing them. It's the perfect storm for a man who wants to milk an organisation for his own benefit.

I have a feeling that a thorough forensic financial analysis could answer how some were brought to his side.

There is a lot of truth in the saying "Great fleas have little fleas upon their back to bite them And little fleas have lesser fleas and so ad infinitum".

Advertisement