Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"FAI blew €69,000 on John Delaney's 50th birthday party"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

Coke and hookers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭randomspud

The government shouldn't be putting a single cent toward any sport in this country.

Tax payers money is being pissed away on grown adults playing games.

If whatever the game is isn't commercially viable then it should die off.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,302 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

€69,000?

nice...

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Borgo

Im suprised it was only €69,000 thats only a bit of Shrapnel to them sure..

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭whodafunk

And the annoying thing is Delaney is still walking the streets scott free. Absolute disgrace. He should be docked some of that big payoff/pension given.

When will Ireland ever learn?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

randomspud wrote: »
    The government shouldn't be putting a single cent toward any sport in this country.

Should that not apply to everything that isnt 100% necessary so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭randomspud

Yes.

We can start doling money out to trivialities once we have the basic stuff sorted out.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

The government haemorrhages money on all sorts of frivolous spending but plenty of people seem to get more pissed off about it being spent on healthcare and housing for people who need it.

That said, I'm a total hypocrite because I could happily see the GAA lose funding but would hate to see the National Museum lose it. Ultimately, both cases are down to personal interest/hobby.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,545 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

You could make the opposite argument that only popular sports should be funded as they are the ones the taxpayers, who provide the funding, are interested in.

However, whatever case can be made in general, some of FAI expenditure is not justified either way.

On an aside, I doubt if I have managed to spend €69,000 on all my birthdays put together.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,620 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

If the fans started to walk away and the FAI were left with half empty stadiums with no income stream, someone might do something about it.
    If we don't qualify for the Euro's, it's going to be a bleak summer over here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

There is a vast age range participating in sports in this country, from young kids to grown adults.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

whodafunk wrote: »
    And the annoying thing is Delaney is still walking the streets scott free. Absolute disgrace. He should be docked some of that big payoff/pension given.

When will Ireland ever learn?

Well the KOSI report into the FAI was sent straight to the Gardaí, so there is trouble ahead. Even Shane Ross was bypassed, it went straight to the Garda.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭joeysoap

€110,000 for winning the LOI after 36 matches,

And €55,000 for coming 2nd.

€69,0000 for a birthday party, no doubt with lots if not all FAI attending.

Unreal. I hope Ross sticks to his word.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

sugarman wrote: »
    Is it?

Last I checked it goes into grassroots for all sports, providing and helping the upkeep of facilities, paying/supplying of equipment etc..

How the **** would the likes of the local u9s Soccer, GAA, Rugby, Hockey clubs etc... be commercially viable? :pac:

You could argue that people could pay for their own hobbies, and those of their their kids, but by the same logic we should cut all welfare and rely on philantropy. In practice, it's much easier to fund through tax than expect people to overcome their aversion to handing over cash on their own initiative.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

Removing funding for sports and recreational activities will close down all of the sports clubs around the country for all ages. Kids will have nothing to do, so crime will increase and the population will become obese and the strain on healthcare will increase also.

It also means that there would be less days out for sporting events, meaning that the revenue gained by businesses in the town's where the event takes place will also drop closing pubs and restaurants, putting more on the unemployment line.

The pride in the nation would drop and the morale of the people would drop, increasing mental health issues, putting more pressure on the healthcare budget.

So as trivial as it may seem for the government to fund sport and recreation it actually is extremely important.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Coke and hookers?

Is he also a Boards moderator? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,526 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Be a long time before I read a stupider argument.

Sport isn’t just about commercial viability, it’s about participation, growing numbers, getting kids involved so that they have healthier lives. It’s not about full stadia and shiny medals, it’s a lot simpler that that.

Take rowing, or boxing, two sports we have as a country done exceptionally well in, neither of which are “commercially viable” but deserves funding and development, and have been successful despite the lack of funding.

Don’t punish the participants for the crimes of administrators.

okidoki987 wrote: »
    If the fans started to walk away and the FAI were left with half empty stadiums with no income stream, someone might do something about it.

Yea.
    Because qualifying and getting hammered out the gate onto the first flight home is going to be so much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

Removing funding for sports and recreational activities will close down all of the sports clubs around the country for all ages. Kids will have nothing to do, so crime will increase and the population will become obese and the strain on healthcare will increase also.

It also means that there would be less days out for sporting events, meaning that the revenue gained by businesses in the town's where the event takes place will also drop closing pubs and restaurants, putting more on the unemployment line.

The pride in the nation would drop and the morale of the people would drop, increasing mental health issues, putting more pressure on the healthcare budget.

So as trivial as it may seem for the government to fund sport and recreation it actually is extremely important.

You are making massive assumptions, claiming without sports clubs crime will increase and kids will become obese, there are many kids not involved in sports clubs who are neither criminals nor obese, it's a bit far fetched to make your claim that because kids "have nothing to do so crime will increase and the population will become obese"

If you had said there could be an increase in obesity and crime, fair enough ... But to claim that it will cause increases in obesity and crime is just wrong in my opinion.... You are entitled to your opinion, and I could be wrong in my opinion but I feel you have a poor opinion of kids if you believe that without organised sports activities.... They will all become fat and criminals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Yea.
    Because qualifying and getting hammered out the gate onto the first flight home is going to be so much better.

Eh, we would already be at home, no need for a flight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,062 ✭✭✭malinheader

Can't understand why people are so surprised about this money for the party, everybody knows Delaney was a crook and only in the job because of a family hand me down. I would say there was alot more crooks feeding from Delaney in the organisation so alot more scandal to be uncovered.

Eh, we would already be at home, no need for a flight

Won’t all the players have to fly home?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Won’t all the players have to fly home?

LOL very true!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Blind Eagle

A girl I used to work with worked for the FAI, relatively high up. At one of the nights out she was drinking from a Heineken bottle. Delaney who was also at the table asked "if she was going to show us her oral skills". She quit soon after.

He must be one of the most disliked Irish people of recent time.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭whodafunk

Have we not forgotten about the Olympic scandal?!!!...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

69 grand on tayto and fanta?? That's mad carry on!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,266 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

69 grand on tayto and fanta?? That's mad carry on!

It's John Delaney, was probably King's Crisps....

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Liberta Per Gli Ultra

But to claim that it will cause increases in obesity and crime is just wrong in my opinion.... You are entitled to your opinion, and I could be wrong in my opinion but I feel you have a poor opinion of kids if you believe that without organised sports activities.... They will all become fat and criminals.

He/she didn't say that, and the physical and psychological benefits of being involved in a sports club are well established, especially at a time when more and more people are living with their heads buried in their phones for much of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

You are making massive assumptions, claiming without sports clubs crime will increase and kids will become obese, there are many kids not involved in sports clubs who are neither criminals nor obese, it's a bit far fetched to make your claim that because kids "have nothing to do so crime will increase and the population will become obese"

If you had said there could be an increase in obesity and crime, fair enough ... But to claim that it will cause increases in obesity and crime is just wrong in my opinion.... You are entitled to your opinion, and I could be wrong in my opinion but I feel you have a poor opinion of kids if you believe that without organised sports activities.... They will all become fat and criminals.

I gave two examples without even scratching the surface of the benefits. What about the skills and values people learn from being involved in clubs (not only sports).

Even beyond fitness, and the sport/activity itself. Teamwork, dealing with pressure, how to handle the highs and lows of life, leadership skills, friendships, community, pride of place.

All of these values makes you more employable, which firstly means your be paying taxes to the government, secondly you are one less on social welfare. Thirdly, the money you earn will be spent, increasing business, increasing revenue and increasing jobs.

So it pays for these clubs to be funded by the government in the long run.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

okidoki987 wrote: »

Has that my already started to happen?

Unless it’s a big match the place is empty, even a big match you can walk up and get a ticket on way in

Advertisement