Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"FAI blew €69,000 on John Delaney's 50th birthday party"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭joeysoap

.......... especially at a time when more and more people are living with their heads buried in their phones for much of the day.

Pretty sure I saw Conway at the Dundalk/ Rovers match in Oriel. If it was him he spent the 2nd half looking at his phone, not at the match. I was a few rows behind him and the other FAI guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

joeysoap wrote: »
    Pretty sure I saw Conway at the Dundalk/ Rovers match in Oriel. If it was him he spent the 2nd half looking at his phone, not at the match. I was a few rows behind him and the other FAI guys.

Conway should have had the decency to resign yesterday, him and his ilk facilitate corruption. The board of the FAI signed off on a salary package with financial liabilities of over €2 million euro for Delaney which extended to 2021. Delaney was given a severance package of 462K with an agreement that if he accepted this, he would forfeit the package. The board signed off on the package when JD was at the helm but are now pleading the 5th about the details. Where is the accountability? Inept doesn't even begin to describe the situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

John Delaney did nothing on his own - he couldn't have.

Whether it's through negligence, stupidity , collusion etc. that the board allowed it to happen, every single one of them should be sent packing and start over. All long as the same crew are about, it's only moving deckchairs on the titanic. Absolutely starve the organisation of cash until they are all gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭fishfoodie

John Delaney did nothing on his own - he couldn't have.

Whether it's through negligence, stupidity , collusion etc. that the board allowed it to happen, every single one of them should be sent packing and start over. All long as the same crew are about, it's only moving deckchairs on the titanic. Absolutely starve the organisation of cash until they are all gone.

Has anyone asked the knuckle-dragging morons, what they think of Delaneys, marvelous administration of the FAI ? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Minime2.5

randomspud wrote: »
    The government shouldn't be putting a single cent toward any sport in this country.

Tax payers money is being pissed away on grown adults playing games.

If whatever the game is isn't commercially viable then it should die off.

The government the gardai the FAI .Take your pick Corruption has been rife in all 3 organisations for as long theyve existed. They are all in bed together so I wouldn't expect the Irish government to do a ****in thing

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Minime2.5 wrote: »
    The government the gardai the FAI .Take your pick Corruption has been rife in all 3 organisations for as long theyve existed. They are all in bed together so I wouldn't expect the Irish government to do a ****in thing

Organisations arent corrupt, people are. The govt, the FAI, and the Gardai are a very representative cross section of the Irish - indicating the Irish people are corrupt. They even elect the government directly, so from what you say, endorse corruption. Quite consistent really.

Anyway, “John Delaney could run anything. John Delaney could run UEFA easily. He could run FIFA as far as I’m concerned — certainly better than Sepp Blatter, and more honestly. He could run a birthday party very well indeed.”

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

whodafunk wrote: »
    And the annoying thing is Delaney is still walking the streets scott free. Absolute disgrace. He should be docked some of that big payoff/pension given.

When will Ireland ever learn?

sure the majority of people here are total sheep, why wouldn't we all be getting riden left right and centre lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

pure.conya wrote: »
    sure the majority of people here are total sheep, why wouldn't we all be getting riden left right and centre lol

Oh the Irish do love to get risen every which way

Just look at the Healy-Rae clan, biggest shower of gangsters in Ireland, the whole family on payroll and robbing the government blind with expenses

But ask the local gobs**t and they are great....they fixed the road....doesn’t matter they probably paid10-20 times in taxes to fix the road but Healy Rae fixes the roads

You would think one generation would learn but the same follow along...it’s FAI this week, it will be Garda the next week, then the government etc etc....all caught robbing money and nothing ever done

What happened the old Olympic council?

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭liosnagceann75

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Oh the Irish do love to get risen every which way

Just look at the Healy-Rae clan, biggest shower of gangsters in Ireland, the whole family on payroll and robbing the government blind with expenses

But ask the local gobs**t and they are great....they fixed the road....doesn’t matter they probably paid10-20 times in taxes to fix the road but Healy Rae fixes the roads

You would think one generation would learn but the same follow along...it’s FAI this week, it will be Garda the next week, then the government etc etc....all caught robbing money and nothing ever done

Michael Healy Rae should hang his head with shame after his character reference for Delaney. But it's going to water off a ducks back for Healy Rae

Michael Healy Rae should hang his head with shame after his character reference for Delaney. But it's going to water off a ducks back for Healy Rae

You not see his two scumbag sons on the news recently?

Locals are now trying to drive out the relatives of the person they beat up.....like FFS what is wrong with people?

• Advertisement

You not see his two scumbag sons on the news recently?

Locals are now trying to drive out the relatives of the person they beat up.....like FFS what is wrong with people?

I'm in healy Raes constituency and detest the entire shower of them. Their only interested in lining their own pockets. Funny Delaney is the same. The Healy Raes don't bother calling to my house because their well aware of the reception they'll get which will be a size 10 up their holes

I'm in healy Raes constituency and detest the entire shower of them. Their only interested in lining their own pockets. Funny Delaney is the same. The Healy Raes don't bother calling to my house because their well aware of the reception they'll get which will be a size 10 up their holes

I would expect you are the one of the few

Do people really not understand how much they are screwing them? I heard recently some lad raving because they fixed the road,.....it was council money used to do it and the company that fixed the road was owned by Healy Rae....like FFS how corrupt is that?

Do people really not understand how much they are screwing them? I heard recently some lad raving because they fixed the road,.....it was council money used to do it and the company that fixed the road was owned by Healy Rae....like FFS how corrupt is that?

The Healy Raes have an army of disciples at local level who support them. I'm ashamed at their carry on. You could write an entire book on their shenanigans.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,386 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

I gave two examples without even scratching the surface of the benefits. What about the skills and values people learn from being involved in clubs (not only sports).

Even beyond fitness, and the sport/activity itself. Teamwork, dealing with pressure, how to handle the highs and lows of life, leadership skills, friendships, community, pride of place.

All of these values makes you more employable, which firstly means your be paying taxes to the government, secondly you are one less on social welfare. Thirdly, the money you earn will be spent, increasing business, increasing revenue and increasing jobs.

So it pays for these clubs to be funded by the government in the long run.

You're assuming that there are no other organisations capable of promoting fitness, teamwork, leadership etc.
    Many good organisations, sporting and otherwise,doing this work. Back these organisations properly, and fvxk the FAI/soccer. The FAI and it's board are a (de facto)
    subsidiary of UEFA and FIFA. They should have to cover the liabilities of FAI, and account for any wrongdoing IMHO. JD was UEFA's man here, they should cover the losses and make them good, not the Irish taxpayer. If they don't like it, pull every grant and don't let them operate here (including the UEFA finals next summer) until they do.

When is someone going to pull out the TV show Delaney done a few years ago??? the one they always play quotes of it on Seconds Captain

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Removing funding for sports and recreational activities will close down all of the sports clubs around the country for all ages. Kids will have nothing to do, so crime will increase and the population will become obese and the strain on healthcare will increase also.

It also means that there would be less days out for sporting events, meaning that the revenue gained by businesses in the town's where the event takes place will also drop closing pubs and restaurants, putting more on the unemployment line.

The pride in the nation would drop and the morale of the people would drop, increasing mental health issues, putting more pressure on the healthcare budget.

So as trivial as it may seem for the government to fund sport and recreation it actually is extremely important.
    The Healy Raes have an army of disciples at local level who support them. I'm ashamed at their carry on. You could write an entire book on their shenanigans.

:):):)

I think HR has written two books.

joeysoap wrote: »
    :):):)

I think HR has written two books.

There's a third book there

• Registered Users Posts: 24,297 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Bloody hell, in the Sunday Times tomorrow.

50k was paid back by Delaney afterward. The remaining 19k went down as a "football related expense".

How the hell does anyone spend 69k on a party!?

http://cf.broadsheet.ie/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/st-3-scaled.jpg

Why is an organization spending money on birthdays in the first place?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,740 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Organisations arent corrupt, people are. The govt, the FAI, and the Gardai are a very representative cross section of the Irish - indicating the Irish people are corrupt. They even elect the government directly, so from what you say, endorse corruption. Quite consistent really.

It's very rare that I agree with this poster but this is absolutely spot on.

As a nation we admire (and vote for!) the "cute hoor", try to find ways around the lax rules and laws that we have, and commiserate on those rare occasions when someone gets caught ("shure have they nothing else to be doing?")

We went from keeping up with the Joneses in the Tiger years, to curtain twitching about what they might be "getting away with" (that we weren't!) in the recession.
    This attitude incidentally is also what perpetuates the current system, as it's very easy to play one section of society against another to keep the rest distracted from the REAL problems.

The sad truth is that this endemic corruption, waste and greed across our political, legal and other bodies is tolerated and even supported by many is because those same people quietly admit that they'd do exactly the same things if they had the neck/opportunity.

As a country and people we're still very selfish and immature, and stories like this and the never-ending scandals from government and elsewhere are the result of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,152 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

whodafunk wrote: »
    And the annoying thing is Delaney is still walking the streets scott free. Absolute disgrace. He should be docked some of that big payoff/pension given.

When will Ireland ever learn?

The thing is it is just not Delaney, but all the hangers on.
    It reminds me of the likes of Mugabe.
    The figurehead guys at the top were kept in power because it wasn't just them creaming if off.
    And someday some of the enablers hoped to benefit or someday get to the top of the greasy pole.

And the laugh even though the head guy has eventually been sacrificed, a lot of their supporters are still around.
    randomspud wrote: »
    The government shouldn't be putting a single cent toward any sport in this country.

Tax payers money is being pissed away on grown adults playing games.

If whatever the game is isn't commercially viable then it should die off.

Some people chose not to display to the world how limited their thinking is, but you on the other hand ...

Sports clubs have adult teams or adult participants, but those clubs always have kids playing and training.

Have you ever been involved in underage sport, you know the type of things where kids train in skills development, learn life skills such as working as part of a team, learn how to interact with others, learn life lessons such as facing failure and success, learn how perseverance and hard work can be rewarding ?
    Oh and getting excercise probably improving their long term health.

Would you rather they just either sit at home playing video games or hang around thinking of something to do to relieve the boredom?

You will be the very one on complaining about lazy kids hanging around and being antisocial or fat kids heading towards a lifetime of bad health and a cost to the health service.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

"It's my chip van, it's my town".

It's up there with "the swing was unsupervised, I was frunk and fell off... I WAS HURT!!!"

:mad:

It was re-branded and got a new logo so it's all ok. :rolleyes:

lawred2 wrote: »
    Why is an organization spending money on birthdays in the first place?
    Why is an organization spending money they don't have full stop. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,740 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Steve wrote: »
    It was re-branded and got a new logo so it's all ok. :rolleyes:

Reminds me of the rapid rebranding of the Garda Traffic Corps to "Roads Policing" in the wake of the breathalyser scandal.

Not fooled AGS! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Its coming out now in dribs and drabs.

The fact that it took an age to find a company that would actually audit the FAI accounts says it all. Toxic. They had to go outside the state in the end. Some might have concern over previous sign offs.

And now the report cannot be published due to legal advice. Its that bad. Pure Greed.

On top of we still await the outcome of the company law case being investigated by the OCDE. The penalties can carry prison sentences, but of course wont happen.

Top to bottom clean out of the whole lot is the only way forward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

The FAI is a microcosm of how Ireland works. We need to grow the **** up as a country. Some serious damage is being done and you can see it across the social issues we face today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

I seen first hand cheques signed to Healy Rae Plant hire from Kerry County Council.

250K + a pop. I'm not afraid to say the electorate down there are idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,526 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    I seen first hand cheques signed to Healy Rae Plant hire from Kerry County Council.

250K + a pop. I'm not afraid to say the electorate down there are idiots.

You might say they are idiots who vote for an idiot but that idiot gets things done.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Michael Healy Rae going to extremes so as not to be asked about this - ran into a burning building today

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    The FAI is a microcosm of how Ireland works. We need to grow the **** up as a country. Some serious damage is being done and you can see it across the social issues we face today.

The IRFU and GAA are all Island organisations and they seem to work just fine.

There's plenty of other sporting bodies which also work just fine.

For some reason the FAI has always been a terrible organisation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

CatFromHue wrote: »
    The IRFU and GAA are all Island organisations and they seem to work just fine.

There's plenty of other sporting bodies which also work just fine.

For some reason the FAI has always been a terrible organisation.

There is huge corruption in the GAA. Ask the Galway and Mayo county boards.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Nobody should head any organisation receiving taxpayers money in Ireland for more than 5 years.

Advertisement