Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting out - bicycle recommendations megathread (see summary in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Heat_Wave

Female here. Brand new to cycling but would like to take it up to go on long cycles on the weekends or even on weekdays now that I’ll be working from home till 2021 (confirmed).

I’m looking at a 105 for €1,200. Is this a crazy amount to spend when it’s your first bike? It’s a man’s bike.

I’ll be using the bike to work scheme.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Tony04

No that's not a ridiculous amount to pay. You can never pay enough on bikes imo. But seriously a bike with 105 for about 1200 will have pretty much all the same performance as bikes twice the price, only difference is the bike twice the price will use more expensive materials to make it a tad lighter. Is the man bikes your interested in from your local shop?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Heat_Wave wrote: »
    Female here. Brand new to cycling but would like to take it up to go on long cycles on the weekends or even on weekdays now that I’ll be working from home till 2021 (confirmed).

I’m looking at a 105 for €1,200. Is this a crazy amount to spend when it’s your first bike? It’s a man’s bike.

I’ll be using the bike to work scheme.

Thanks.

I assume you are talking about a bike with a Shimano 105 groupset. If so I'm curious why that would that be a deciding factor for you? For long distances (say 100KM) I'd value comfort over speed unless you intend to eventually try for Strava KOMs.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

Tony04 wrote: »
    Is the man bikes your interested in from your local shop?

It is. They have 4 females bikes, and dozens of men’s bikes. He told me that the only difference between the two is colour.
    I assume you are talking about a bike with a Shimano 105 groupset. If so I'm curious why that would that be a deciding factor for you? For long distances (say 100KM) I'd value comfort over speed unless you intend to eventually try for Strava KOMs.

I definitely don’t intend on cycling more than 100k at any one time. I will most likely cycle between Howth and Malahide.

As I said I am a novice. A friend of mine (who is mad into cycling) told me to spend the full €1,000 on a quality bike (Tiagra or 105 minimum, and avoid sora) as I’ll have it for life. I am 100% open to others thoughts on this.

FYI I value comfort over speed. I wouldn’t be into speed. I also value quality and durability.

Thank you in advance.

Really the only difference is in the saddle, if you go with a mens bike get them to swap it out for a women's one.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I’m looking at a 105 for €1,200. Is this a crazy amount to spend when it’s your first bike?
    yes and no. yes, in the sense that's quite an investment to make in something you're taking someone else's word on, especially in regards to size; if you get that wrong it may put you off cycling. go to more than one shop - most of them are decent sorts and will try to see you right, but a second opinion is well worth the time.

yes and no. yes, in the sense that's quite an investment to make in something you're taking someone else's word on, especially in regards to size; if you get that wrong it may put you off cycling. go to more than one shop - most of them are decent sorts and will try to see you right, but a second opinion is well worth the time.

Hey Magic Bastarder

I went to a shop today and was sized. I’m a medium. The sales guy was recommending a Tiagra at €1,000. When I went home, I did some research and found an incredible looking one online in my two favourite colours, and it’s €1,200, but 105 gear group. If it’s something I’ll have for life, I’d rather spend the extra €200 on one which I find aesthetically pleasing.

However, do I even need to be going for a Tiagra or 105 gear group? Why has both my friend and today’s salesman told me to avoid a sora (9 gears AFAIK, as opposed to 11 gears). What’s so beneficial about having 11 as opposed to 9? Will I even notice the difference as a beginner? As I said, I only plan on cycling between Howth/Malahide/Clontarf on the weekends at a leisurely pace.

Basically Sora is 9 speed and 105 is 11 but in most cases they have the same highest and lowest gears. With more gears the gaps between them are smaller so moving up and down them is smoother.

Is the bike online the same brand as the one in the shop? There can be differences in sizing between them.

EDIT: Seeing where you plan to cycle I'd be of the opinion thats too much bike for the task at hand and you could happily get around there on a good hybrid for half the price

Also 105 brakes would be probably better than sora. The way shimano drivetrains work is the more you go up the more features you get, main difference is number of sprockets in the rear, until 105 after they just use the same design but lighter features. So yeah tiagra and sora are perfectly fine but 105 might be nicer to have.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

what height are you? medium is usually for someone in (very very roughly, depends on the manufacturer) 5'8" to 6' range.
    if you're not planning on banjaxing yourself up howth hill, for example, i see no issue with going for sora; the benefit of extra gears is quite often that the relative jump between gears is smaller, so it's easier to find a specific gear which suits.

but if, as you mention, the bike is going to be used for leisurely spins generally on the flat, you'd probably be spending money you don't need to by going for 105, or even tiagra. the only thing wrong with sora is that there's better available, but it's just at greater expense. and you will possibly also want to buy other things too, such as a helmet, cycling shorts, etc. which will add to the cost.

• Advertisement

Also if your planning on buying a bike for the long term buying something with disc brakes might be worth considering.

what height are you? medium is usually for someone in (very very roughly, depends on the manufacturer) 5'8" to 6' range.
    I am 5”8.
    If you're not planning on banjaxing yourself up howth hill.
    I definitely don’t plan on this :)

In terms of brand, I’ve been looking at Bianchi (love the colour) and Cannondale. Are both as good as the other?

FYI I value comfort over speed. I wouldn’t be into speed. I also value quality and durability.

Thank you in advance.

Consider the fit, men tend to have broader shoulders so the handlebars may be wider than you expect and men also tend to have longer torsos so you may prefer a shorter stem size. None of those will stop you cycling, its more about agility and the parts can be changed to better suit afterwards with more experience on your part, everyones body size is different so the bikes available may suit you out of the box. You probably will want a women's specific saddle so ask the shop what they have available and try them out.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,338 ✭✭✭.red.

Another lad here looking for advice.

What is your budget?
    €350-€400 max
    Will you use B2W?
    If I keep it up and want to upgrade I have that option when I get back to work but realistically that will be another 2 months, maybe a little more so for now, second hand is my only option.
    What will you use the bike for?
    Mainly for exercise/fitness/weight loss. Currently doing a 16km loop on a mountain bike. Another few spins and I'll up that to about 20km and go up gradually from there to maybe 30/35km. Not sure if it's relevant but the roads are a mix of rural and main road, the rural road has a lot of hills, I'm finding them tough but getting up them slowly. The main road is fairly flat bar a few low gradient longer stretches.
    Any preferences?
    Here's where my confusion comes in so sorry if it's long winded.
    I'd rather a road bike, but for no reason in particular. I've borrowed a neighbors Carrera Zelos and liked the different feel to it over the mountain bike but think it's a little too big. I find holding the downbars uncomfortable when pedalling, but grand going downhill to grab the breaks. Along the flat longer main roads I find myself holding on at the gear/brake lever as it feels more natural. I've a few slightly bulging discs in my lower back and bending seems to make them flare up so I definitely don't want to be over stretching for long periods. His bike comes in 51/54cm and I'm guessing it's a 54 as he's over 6ft. It's not marked anywhere that I can find
    Height/Inseam if asking for size?
    I'm 5'9, inseam 32cm.

I'm currently scouring done deal and adverts but still unsure what I want or what size. Charts put me at 54 or 56cm. I'm thinking a 54cm road bike might have me slightly more upright that a bigger bike, but also read that some bikes will have a slightly higher riding position anyway. Another option is a flat bar road bike but very few of them for sale, especially in my budget.
    Any ideas on what to look out for?
    Thanks for reading and apologies if my post is a bit long.

In terms of brand, I’ve been looking at Bianchi (love the colour) and Cannondale. Are both as good as the other?

If you are looking for a 105 groupset then both brands are likely to blow your €1,200 budget especially Bianchi, unless you are looking in the secondhand market or clearance sales.

Speaking of budgets, don't forget the extras like cycle clothing (we gets lots of weather in Ireland), bike locks, bike pumps etc, that's probably another €200/300 on top of the bike purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Brandon F

I am about to pull the trigger on either a Bianchi Via Nirone 7 or a Cube Attain SL. The only advantage of the Cube I can see are the disc brakes. Any advice on which to choice as there are limited options of availalbility out there at the minute.

.red. wrote: »
    I'm 5'9, inseam 32cm.

I'm currently scouring done deal and adverts but still unsure what I want or what size. Charts put me at 54 or 56cm. I'm thinking a 54cm road bike might have me slightly more upright that a bigger bike
    56cm would be very large for someone of your height - i'd even say that traditionally, 54cm would be at the upper range, especially if you're worried about being too stretched out.
    bear in mind however, that sitting upright on a bike can put more pressure down through the spine, especially if on bumpy roads, than being stretched out. but being stretched out puts pressure on different parts, e.g. lower back muscles.

the advice usually is that it's easier to make a small bike big than making a big bike small.

Brandon F wrote: »
    I am about to pull the trigger on either a Bianchi Via Nirone 7 or a Cube Attain SL. The only advantage of the Cube I can see are the disc brakes. Any advice on which to choice as there are limited options of availalbility out there at the minute.
    Bianchi bikes are a little cooler than cube, but if they're the same price, and the cube is similarly specced except for the hydraulic brakes, i'd say that gives it the edge.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭byrnem31

Add my 2 cent in.

I just changed from tiagra to 105 and I much prefer the 105. Tiagra was like it had a gear missing between 6 and 7. It was too hard or too easy when cycling on them gears and I wanted something in between. Claris was the same too. It's not like that on the 105, good spread of gears and very snappy.

I have had 4 bikes in the past year all with the different brakes out there. Hydraulic is what I have now and it's the best by a mile. Way more control particularly in the wet and doesn't screech like a banshee.

I would dig deeper and buy a better bike. It will be more comfortable to ride, lighter, easier to cycle and have better parts.

I have a 2020 giant advanced 2 that cost €2250. Did I need it, no. Did I want it ? Damm right and after getting it I want to get more into cycling which means i dont need to upgrade one thing on the bike. It has it all.

If i had of bought cheaper, i would want to trade up by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,267 ✭✭✭✭fits

- what is the intended use of the bike ~ tipping around with the kids
    - what is your budget ~ 500
    - are you using the bike to work scheme - no
    - aer you willing to consider going secondhand - yes
    - will you be using the bike in wet weather - yes
    - how tall you are - 164cm female

Had both a hybrid and road bike in the past. A giant avail and a trek hybrid. I sold them both when I developed neck and shoulder problems ( not from cycling but problem was aggravated). Now want to be able to tip around with kids on something comfortable. Electric bike would be ideal but prob not willing to fork out so much yet.

• Advertisement

byrnem31 wrote: »
    I have had 4 bikes in the past year

If i had of bought cheaper, i would want to trade up by now.
    sounds like you did though! maybe your upgrade journey is not over yet...

Bianchi bikes are a little cooler than cube, but if they're the same price, and the cube is similarly specced except for the hydraulic brakes, i'd say that gives it the edge.

From the limited knowledge I have this is exactly what I was thinking. Bianchi a better looking bike with the cube having the edge in specs.

fits wrote: »
    - what is the intended use of the bike ~ tipping around with the kids
    - what is your budget ~ 500
    - are you using the bike to work scheme - no
    - aer you willing to consider going secondhand - yes
    - will you be using the bike in wet weather - yes
    - how tall you are - 164cm female

Had both a hybrid and road bike in the past. A giant avail and a trek hybrid. I sold them both when I developed neck and shoulder problems ( not from cycling but problem was aggravated). Now want to be able to tip around with kids on something comfortable. Electric bike would be ideal but prob not willing to fork out so much yet.

Another hybrid definitely sounds like the right choice for you. I'm not going to recommend a specific one as there is so much of the same thing for the same price, but dont bother with a suspension fork.

Brandon F wrote: »
    From the limited knowledge I have this is exactly what I was thinking. Bianchi a better looking bike with the cube having the edge in specs.

Bianchi is never really going to offer good value for specs, it is a designer bike brand if you like. For what your looking at there might be other options to consider like giant contend merida scultura specialized allez canyon endurace and rose pro to name a few.

Tony04 wrote: »
    Bianchi is never really going to offer good value for specs, it is a designer bike brand if you like. For what your looking at there might be other options to consider like giant contend merida scultura specialized allez canyon endurace and rose pro to name a few.

Unfortunately these 2 models are the only ones available in my size in the stores that my company uses for the bike to work scheme. The availability is pushing me into purchasing soon so I have a bike for the summer months.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭grayzer75

.red. wrote: »
    Another lad here looking for advice.

What is your budget?
    €350-€400 max
    Will you use B2W?
    If I keep it up and want to upgrade I have that option when I get back to work but realistically that will be another 2 months, maybe a little more so for now, second hand is my only option.
    What will you use the bike for?
    Mainly for exercise/fitness/weight loss. Currently doing a 16km loop on a mountain bike. Another few spins and I'll up that to about 20km and go up gradually from there to maybe 30/35km. Not sure if it's relevant but the roads are a mix of rural and main road, the rural road has a lot of hills, I'm finding them tough but getting up them slowly. The main road is fairly flat bar a few low gradient longer stretches.
    Any preferences?
    Here's where my confusion comes in so sorry if it's long winded.
    I'd rather a road bike, but for no reason in particular. I've borrowed a neighbors Carrera Zelos and liked the different feel to it over the mountain bike but think it's a little too big. I find holding the downbars uncomfortable when pedalling, but grand going downhill to grab the breaks. Along the flat longer main roads I find myself holding on at the gear/brake lever as it feels more natural. I've a few slightly bulging discs in my lower back and bending seems to make them flare up so I definitely don't want to be over stretching for long periods. His bike comes in 51/54cm and I'm guessing it's a 54 as he's over 6ft. It's not marked anywhere that I can find
    I'm 5'9, inseam 32cm.

I'm currently scouring done deal and adverts but still unsure what I want or what size. Charts put me at 54 or 56cm. I'm thinking a 54cm road bike might have me slightly more upright that a bigger bike, but also read that some bikes will have a slightly higher riding position anyway. Another option is a flat bar road bike but very few of them for sale, especially in my budget.
    Any ideas on what to look out for?
    Thanks for reading and apologies if my post is a bit long.

These guys are great to deal with:
    http://thebikestation.ie/
    https://www.facebook.com/thebikestation/

They have some end of line stock on Donedeal:
    https://www.donedeal.ie/all?userId=1139225

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭byrnem31

sounds like you did though! maybe your upgrade journey is not over yet...

It will never be over lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Ivan1983

Hello respectful cyclist colleagues, I have a dilemma which hybrid to buy... up to €1000 (and should I choose between a rigid fork or front suspension after all?

I'm from Galway and I want a branded bike, and Kearney Cycles seems as best option, and I narrowed my long search to:

1. Trek Dual Sport 3 (€700)
    2. Cube SL road pro (€850)
    3. Giant Roam 1 (€950)
    4. or maybe to strech for this Cube SL road race (€1050) because last one here have the best specs/parts and it's the lightest... (I can't add links 'cause I'm new user here...)

Thanks in advance! Cheers!

Ivan1983 wrote: »
    should I choose between a rigid fork or front suspension after all?
    if the bike is just to be used on the road, don't bother with suspension. there's no need for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 Ivan1983

if the bike is just to be used on the road, don't bother with suspension. there's no need for it.

A friend (cyclist) told me that he wouldn't buy bike with rigid fork beacuse of vibrations to the wrists, but that must be on long term (like more than 10 years) so I actually shouldn't worry... or?

EDIT: yes, I'm planing to fitness cycling only on the asphalt road.

Advertisement