Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clothing 101- recommendations

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

statto25 wrote: »
    Fire up a link to the store there please

This is the store, I went based on the number and quality of reviews. I'm 183cm and about 74kgs, XL is a comfortable fit. Could probably get away with L. Ordered on 7th April and it arrived today, 5th May.

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/2406079?spm=a2g0s.12269583.0.0.17241538juOT8R

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

This is the store, I went based on the number and quality of reviews. I'm 183cm and about 74kgs, XL is a comfortable fit. Could probably get away with L. Ordered on 7th April and it arrived today, 5th May.

No joke: Uighur forced labour camps.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Thanks for the link, if you search for cycling bibs and then select display based on products that have sold the most that shop is in the top results. I really like the designs of the kit that they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Got a delivery from AliExpress today. Pretty impressed with the quality and fit. 3 x Jersey (1 summer, 2 x long sleeve winter) & 2 x bib shorts (1 summer, 1 long winter) for €82 delivered.

How loose are the jerseys? Do they hang from your chest when bent over on the bike or do they stick to the chest...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Brian? wrote: »
    No joke: Uighur forced labour camps.

:( This specific store/type of gear or stuff from AliExpress in general? (Genuinely asking the question, not stirring!)

• Advertisement

:( This specific store/type of gear or stuff from AliExpress in general? (Genuinely asking the question, not stirring!)

Nobody has a clue mate...

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-22278037

• Registered Users Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Or stuff from China in general. Or with material that could be sourced in China and manufactured somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭cletus

Brands from Apple, to BMW, to Nike, to Sony have been implicated in this.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/uighur-muslims-china-forced-labour-work-xinjiang-apple-nike-bmw-sony-gap-a9371711.html

Aliexpress in general

they/them/theirs

cletus wrote: »

They have, but they will react to avoid bad publicity. Charlie the random Aliexpress seller won't, so by avoiding buying from Charlie I am doing something very small to make the situation better.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement

I'm not dismissing the plight of those people, but they do make up a comparatively tiny percentage of the overall Chinese population, the chances of buying a product made by one of them is still very small. Personally, as cold as this sounds, is not an issue. I would worry too much about when buying from AliExpress. If we were to take the most moral route would we also have to avoid products from America considering the amount of wars they have started and dictators. They have supported throughout their history?

I'm not dismissing the plight of those people, but they do make up a comparatively tiny percentage of the overall Chinese population, the chances of buying a product made by one of them is still very small. Personally, as cold as this sounds, is not an issue. I would worry too much about when buying from AliExpress. If we were to take the most moral route would we also have to avoid products from America considering the amount of wars they have started and dictators. They have supported throughout their history?

If we took this line we all might end up cycling the bike in the nip..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

Got a delivery from AliExpress today. Pretty impressed with the quality and fit. 3 x Jersey (1 summer, 2 x long sleeve winter) & 2 x bib shorts (1 summer, 1 long winter) for €82 delivered.

What's the padding in the shorts like? Is it thick or the thinner side? I can't stand the big bulky pads :D

What are Wiggle like for returns from Ireland now Brexit has kicked in ordered this jersey and although I understand it's supposed to have a relaxed fit I definitely could have gotten away with a size small.

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-short-sleeve-jersey-2

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭lochdara

Any opinion on Gaerne spd shoes. Looking at Kobra model. Also interested in other dual Boa's, Foot size is 27.5cm and 10cm wide at the ball of the foot. Not sure how Sidi's would fit but I do like them.
    I am after a sporty look shoe for my road bike and not a runner style like my current shimano MT34 .

Currently fundraising for Irish Motor Neurone Disease Association

In Memory of my fab Wife www.sinsin.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭dinneenp

positron wrote: »
    Possibly not a popular request but... does anyone know of any good regular looking shorts - and by that I mean something you can wear casually to shops or to bbq - that is also great for 6-8 hours on the bike as well?

Basically endurance shorts that is good for walking around town as well, without looking like a "dropped and lost" cyclist?

Hi, Don't know if you're still looking but Galibier have just added shorts that might be what you're looking for- link

Cheers,
    Pa.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,772 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Looking at purchasing cycling shoes from SportsPursuit and just wondering if this ships from EU or UK as it's given a price with no VAT included. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭emclau

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Looking at purchasing cycling shoes from SportsPursuit and just wondering if this ship from EU or UK as it's given a price with no VAT included. Thanks.

Confirm the price you see is the price you pay..I ordered a hiking jacket from them couple of weeks ago...

https://help.sportpursuit.com/en/articles/99-will-i-be-liable-to-pay-duty-or-customs-charges-on-my-order

• Registered Users Posts: 7,772 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

emclau wrote: »
    Confirm the price you see is the price you pay..I ordered a hiking jacket from them couple of weeks ago...

https://help.sportpursuit.com/en/articles/99-will-i-be-liable-to-pay-duty-or-customs-charges-on-my-order

Thanks for that. I emailed them this evening just to make sure as was just confused with the VAT being deducted.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Thanks for that. I emailed them this evening just to make sure as was just confused with the VAT being deducted.

I buy from them all the time with no issues

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement

Only issue I've had post brexit with sportspursuit is snail pace delivery!

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Only issue I've had post brexit with sportspursuit is snail pace delivery!

Their delivery speed has always been funky. I never order anything from them I need in a hurry

they/them/theirs

Brian? wrote: »
    Their delivery speed has always been funky. I never order anything from them I need in a hurry
    Missed the delivery window by a couple of weeks - I never had them that late pre-brexit!

Hi,

Not warm enough for just short sleeve jersey but slightly cold in my Galibier Roubaix jersey (long sleeve fleece jersey). What would people recommend?

A long sleeve base layer, arm warmers, a thin long sleeve jersey? If you can link to a product or name the actual product it'd be great.

Cheers,
    Pa.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,743 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

dinneenp wrote: »
    Hi,

Not warm enough for just short sleeve jersey but slightly cold in my Galibier Roubaix jersey (long sleeve fleece jersey). What would people recommend?

A long sleeve base layer, arm warmers, a thin long sleeve jersey? If you can link to a product or name the actual product it'd be great.

Cheers,
    Pa.

base layers are very handy - our club jersey is very thin, only really suitable for 20C+ days on it's own, but stick a base layer underneath and it's fine for cooler or breezier days (I have long sleeve and sleeveless baselayers and some thermal ones for the winter). A gilet is also good for layering up and can be removed if you get too warm.

I do have leg warmers but I tend to either put them on going out, and then leave them on; or bring them with me and not use them... I've never used arm warmers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭cletus

Hi,

Cheers,
    Pa.

As you're using Galibier already, they do a couple of base layers. I have the winter one, which is great, and they have a summer one too, but I've no experience of that.

Separate to that, I saw their new Norace jersey, and I quite like it

cletus wrote: »
    As you're using Galibier already, they do a couple of base layers. I have the winter one, which is great, and they have a summer one too, but I've no experience of that.

Separate to that, I saw their new Norace jersey, and I quite like it

Cheers, I have their winter one, forgot totally about their other one.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Under armour cold gear base layer with a light summer jersey will see you right if the roubaix top isn’t suitable.

dahat wrote: »
    Under armour cold gear base layer with a light summer jersey will see you right if the roubaix top isn’t suitable.

My first thought is that the UA top would be better than the Galibier (ECHELON LONG SLEEVE BASE LAYER) as base layers are their bread and butter. But I'm sure either top would do a good job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭lissard

Hi,

Cheers,
    Pa.

Gilet and armwarmers cover most situations at this time of year. I've probably said this a few hundred posts ago but you can't go wrong with Castelli Nanoflex armwarmers. They are waterproof and warm, pair these with any gillet and you should be good for Irish summer.

Advertisement