Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clothing 101- recommendations

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭ifeelabreeze

Beyond a helmet, jersey, bib shorts and cycling shoes what else should I be getting?
    What other clothing items should I buy, and is there any order of importance?
    I'm guessing a jacket, but would I be better with arm, leg warmers and a gilet or something?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Beyond a helmet, jersey, bib shorts and cycling shoes what else should I be getting?
    What other clothing items should I buy, and is there any order of importance?
    I'm guessing a jacket, but would I be better with arm, leg warmers and a gilet or something?

Get arm warmers, you’ll need them even in Summer in Ireland sometimes. A gilet is always good to have. Base layers can be useful come Autumn.

I only wear a jacket in the winter, below 8 degrees in the middle of the day. Then i switch fully to bib knickers and a jacket. Below freezing I add thermals under the jacket and a gilet over.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭simons104

I guess at times that can be true although you would have to question how much of a profit margin the well-known cycling clothing brands are making on their products.

Came across this brand on Amazon their stuff appears to be of reasonable quality and they use UK sizing.

https://fdxsports.co.uk/

Have a jersey from this crowd, its fine but not a patch on Galibier

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭positron

Brian? wrote: »
    The casual Rapha clothes would be no use for 6-8 hours in the saddle
    Such a thing doesn't exist. Why not just bring a change of clothes?

The main use case I have in mind is casual multi-day bike touring rides.

Start after breakfast, cycle 5-8 hours / 100-200 kms a day, with plenty of relaxed stops in between, until the next halt/hotel. Basically a combination of long distance riding and sightseeing.

positron wrote: »
    The main use case I have in mind is casual multi-day bike touring rides.

Start after breakfast, cycle 5-8 hours / 100-200 kms a day, with plenty of relaxed stops in between, until the next halt/hotel. Basically a combination of long distance riding and sightseeing.

I understand. Anyone I know who does this wears Lycra and doesn't really care that they look odd away from the bike. Because comfort in the saddle is more important to them that what they look like.

Why not just bring cheap loose shorts to throw on over your lycra if you really have a problem.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭emclau

Finally got myself a pair of Castelli free aero bib shorts after they came back in stock on the Castelli website. 127 with code CSTdeRonde2021 for anyone interested...

emclau wrote: »
    Finally got myself a pair of Castelli free aero bib shorts after they came back in stock on the Castelli website. 127 with code CSTdeRonde2021 for anyone interested...

Wonderful shorts, I have a pair for a couple of years. Time to replace them..

they/them/theirs

Are there anyone on here that has one decent set of kit such as bib shorts and then hope into the shower or throw's them in to a sink/bucket with some form of soap to keep them clean.

I'm now considering investing in just one pair of quality bibs and one quality jersey and hand washing the bibs after every ride, I have a pair of old cycling shorts for working on the turbo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

If you plan on getting out 2 days in a row, they be dry?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,108 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Are there anyone on here that has one decent set of kit such as bib shorts and then hope into the shower or throw's them in to a sink/bucket with some form of soap to keep them clean.

I'm now considering investing in just one pair of quality bibs and one quality jersey and hand washing the bibs after every ride, I have a pair of old cycling shorts for working on the turbo.

I machine wash mine on their own in a net bag on 30 degree wash, low spin and without any fabric conditioner

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭S_D

Bought some of that Galiber gear after seeing so many positive reviews here. Very nice! 60 quid for a long sleeve jersey! Bargain

If you plan on getting out 2 days in a row, they be dry?

I guess it's one of the benefits of having a storage heater on in this part of the year, it tends to chuck out a fair bit of heat at night so stuff on a drying rack in the same room tends to be dry in the morning. Another usefull thing I have is a dehumidifier with a setting for drying laundry.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,646 ✭✭✭✭dahat

I rotate 3 pairs of bibs over the week to get max longevity from each. You’ll get fed up with just one pair.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

dahat wrote: »
    I rotate 3 pairs of bibs over the week to get max longevity from each. You’ll get fed up with just one pair.
    It is nice to have a selection to choose from. You'll pick a favourite pair for the special spins.

one last question I promise :D when choosing if I'm between sizes should I generally size up or down I'm presuming for a tight fit to size down?

for example I'm between a 31" to 32" waist I'm presuming I should size up to medium? I am trying to drop another 2Kg

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-aeron-bib-shorts-1

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Just about to buy something on decathlon but it says an post 15 days was hoping to have it by Friday, anyone know how long they usually take for delivery?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭nilhg

Just about to buy something on decathlon but it says an post 15 days was hoping to have it by Friday, anyone know how long they usually take for delivery?

Some stuff comes from the warehouse in France and can take the 15 days, ring the shop, if they have it in stock they'll take payment and post out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,289 ✭✭✭Macy0161

All of mine go in laundry bags (lidl have them every so often) and in with the general wash - which in our household is 20 degrees, non-bio, and no fabric conditioner anyway due to several of us having eczema.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,108 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Macy0161 wrote: »
    All of mine go in laundry bags (lidl have them every so often) and in with the general wash - which in our household is 20 degrees, non-bio, and no fabric conditioner anyway due to several of us having eczema.

Good to know it's not just me washing them like that.
    Most supermarkets will have a 'fruit bag' or similar that's essentially the same

dinneenp wrote: »
    Good to know it's not just me washing them like that.
    Shorts and jerseys go in them, and I even have one that'll take a cycling jacket or winter bib tights. Basically, any non-disposable clothing goes in them in our house - the laundry my household job!

• Advertisement

Should have listened to advice about buying from planetx
    Unlike Wiggle they don't include customs at no point in the buying process was I made aware of this fact oh well I guess you live and learn.

Perhaps it would be a good idea if we could create a sticky on this forum of good companies to buy from.

Edit: actually read the invoice for once in fairness to them they didn't charge me UK VAT still a bit salty about having to pay DPD an extra €5 for for an administration fee.

Anyone brought any Rivelo shorts? Looking at the cargo bibs, despite my recent sportspursuit delayed delivery - seem to have better extra pockets than Galibier (whom are my default shorts/ everything).

Anyone brought any Rivelo shorts? Looking at the cargo bibs, despite my recent sportspursuit delayed delivery - seem to have better extra pockets than Galibier (whom are my default shorts/ everything).

I have a pair of standard bibs.
    Have them 3 years.
    They're grand.
    I've 2 pairs Galibier bibs.
    Main reason I prefer the Galibier is that I got them with longer leg.
    The chamois is comparable between the 2.

Interestingly the few reviews I could find mentioned the legs of the rivelo being long! Always found the standard length galibier fine, whereas some of the other brands have been short shorts on out of proportion me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Got a delivery from AliExpress today. Pretty impressed with the quality and fit. 3 x Jersey (1 summer, 2 x long sleeve winter) & 2 x bib shorts (1 summer, 1 long winter) for €82 delivered.

Interestingly the few reviews I could find mentioned the legs of the rivelo being long! Always found the standard length galibier fine, whereas some of the other brands have been short shorts on out of proportion me.

Ah. I'm 6'3".
    Got the Galibier equipe with long legs lately, find them a great fit.
    Rivelo bit shorter but grand. Just find short for holding knee or leg warmers.

Got a delivery from AliExpress today. Pretty impressed with the quality and fit. 3 x Jersey (1 summer, 2 x long sleeve winter) & 2 x bib shorts (1 summer, 1 long winter) for €82 delivered.

I wouldn't be surprised if it came out of some of the same factories as the brand name stuff, I did read somewhere that they produce brand name stuff during the day and then separate workers come in at night to start producing the knock-offs. But who knows if this is true.

I'd appreciate links to stuff you bought if you have them.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭ifeelabreeze

Get arm warmers, you’ll need them even in Summer in Ireland sometimes. A gilet is always good to have. Base layers can be useful come Autumn.

I only wear a jacket in the winter, below 8 degrees in the middle of the day. Then i switch fully to bib knickers and a jacket. Below freezing I add thermals under the jacket and a gilet over.

Thanks, I went out for a quick cycle today wearing only my cycling shorts and a jersey.. Needless to say I was freezing.
    I definitely need to invest in a few more pieces.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Thanks, I went out for a quick cycle today wearing only my cycling shorts and a jersey.. Needless to say I was freezing.
    I definitely need to invest in a few more pieces.
    You felt a breeze? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭statto25

Fire up a link to the store there please

Advertisement