Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clothing 101- recommendations

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭positron

Possibly not a popular request but... does anyone know of any good regular looking shorts - and by that I mean something you can wear casually to shops or to bbq - that is also great for 6-8 hours on the bike as well?

Basically endurance shorts that is good for walking around town as well, without looking like a "dropped and lost" cyclist?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,786 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

positron wrote: »
    Possibly not a popular request but... does anyone know of any good regular looking shorts - and by that I mean something you can wear casually to shops or to bbq - that is also great for 6-8 hours on the bike as well?

Basically endurance shorts that is good for walking around town as well, without looking like a "dropped and lost" cyclist?

for that length of time on the bike, you'd want something padded, which immediately makes them less than ideal for walking around. MTB shorts look normal enough, I have a pair with a separate padded liner (think Aldi were selling similar last week).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭positron

I picked up the Aldi ones, was not impressed.

Googling around, general consensus seems to be that nothing beats bibshorts in doing distance in comfort. Now I am thinking a good quality bibshorts + a nice regular shorts over it is probably the most flexible solution. Both can be worn on their own etc as well.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,898 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Madison do a lot of good mtb/casual shorts. Think the Roam are the ones I have and I use them a lot, but might be another one. Pre brexit you could occasionally get them at very good prices, but they're a bit steeper priced anywhere I've seen here.

If I know I'll be popping into a few shops, I have them on over the bibs, and I use them on my commutes.

Regular shorts will wear out a bit quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭JMcL

cunavalos wrote: »
    I found some of the decathlon baselayers suitable for the in between temperatures you mention.

Although labelled as a football baselayer, the one linked below does the job. I find the thumb loops useful others find them an annoyance
    https://www.decathlon.ie/en/men-s-underwears/195072-84028-keepdry-500-adult-base-layer-khaki.html#/demodelsize-200xl/demodelcolor-967766?queryID=e5af158983580de695aada6461866886&objectID=4096897

They also do regular long sleeves (with no thumb loops) and short sleeves - both in various weights - which are excellent to cover the whole year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

In reply to this and your subsequent post,

Yes in my opinion bib shorts are the most comfortable for cycling, however they are designed /sized for cycling and not wandering about, I think they'd be deeply unpleasant to wear for an extended time at a bbq or whatever you're planning.

I also think wearing shorts over bib shorts would be a bad idea and can't see how it's be comfortable on the bike, and you could be slightly slipping around a bit too?

I'd go with what the other person suggested and get a reasonably short /tighter style of good quality mountain bike shorts.

You could also get just a padded inner short type thing and wear your own clothes over (never tried this),

And finally I think an expensive brand called rapha make some cycling gear that's designed to look more like casual clothing, you could try that too

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,885 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Such a thing doesn't exist. Why not just bring a change of clothes?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

In reply to this and your subsequent post,

Yes in my opinion bib shorts are the most comfortable for cycling, however they are designed /sized for cycling and not wandering about, I think they'd be deeply unpleasant to wear for an extended time at a bbq or whatever you're planning.

I also think wearing shorts over bib shorts would be a bad idea and can't see how it's be comfortable on the bike, and you could be slightly slipping around a bit too?

I'd go with what the other person suggested and get a reasonably short /tighter style of good quality mountain bike shorts.

You could also get just a padded inner short type thing and wear your own clothes over (never tried this),

And finally I think an expensive brand called rapha make some cycling gear that's designed to look more like casual clothing, you could try that too

The casual Rapha clothes would be no use for 6-8 hours in the saddle

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 8,108 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Hi,
    Got caught in a few showers today so looking for a waterproof, lightweight jacket that'll fit in jersey back pocket.
    Anything that beats the Galibier TEMPEST PRO 2 Jacket, which isn't cheap at £60 sterling.

I'll pay that much if needed for a good one but ideally would prefer a less expensive one.

Edit-from a quick search it seems that most recommend ones on cycling websites are much more expensive than £60...
    Thanks,
    Pa

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I bought the Galibier Ventultra jacket last year. Folds up into a small ball within itself. Dead handy for gbp£40...
    https://www.galibier.cc/product/ventjacket/

• Advertisement

I bought the Galibier Ventultra jacket last year. Folds up into a small ball within itself. Dead handy for gbp£40...
    https://www.galibier.cc/product/ventjacket/

Doesn't mention water/showerproof though.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Under the FEATURES & SIZING section...
    VentUltra provides a high degree of wind resistance and light rain protection an: low weight (79g) and low pack volume with Offset Zip.
    I find it fine and reckon that any heavier rain protection would remove the compact-ness of it.
    From memory, you're over on the western side of the country. If you're over towards the East soon, let me know and I can show you my jacket.

Under the FEATURES & SIZING section...

I find it fine and reckon that any heavier rain protection would remove the compact-ness of it.

In my experience heavy rain protection is pointless on the bike. You sweat so much inside it you may as well be wet from the rain.

My preference is for something like a Gabba, but that's probably more money than most people want to spend.

If it's too warm to wear a Gabba, which is rare in Ireland, I just get wet.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

dinneenp wrote: »
    Doesn't mention water/showerproof though.

Won't get waterproof below £60 and suitable for cycling.

Be some cheap non breathable "boil in the bag" plastic thing.

Waterproof and breathable = gortex and costs hundreds.

The mistral and equivalents are not waterproof but are almost.
    Won't get a good jacket cheaper than mistral.

Will get showerproof ones such as above or endura or decathlons version for 40 to 50 quid

Won't get waterproof below £60 and suitable for cycling.

Be some cheap non breathable "boil in the bag" plastic thing.

Waterproof and breathable = gortex and costs hundreds.

The mistral and equivalents are not waterproof but are almost.
    Won't get a good jacket cheaper than mistral.

Will get showerproof ones such as above or endura or decathlons version for 40 to 50 quid

Cheers. Happy to buy the Galibier Tempest Pro 2 so. Adding to my Galibier long sleeve winter base layer, gilet, long sleeve jersey, Mistral Foul weather jacket, socks and toe covers....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,898 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Brian? wrote: »
    In my experience heavy rain protection is pointless on the bike. You sweat so much inside it you may as well be wet from the rain.

My preference is for something like a Gabba, but that's probably more money than most people want to spend.

If it's too warm to wear a Gabba, which is rare in Ireland, I just get wet.

You've never worn a shakedry jacket then?though that's twice the price of a gabba.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Mistral Foul weather jacket....

If you've already got that then personally I'd get a good gilet.

Wet arms don't bother me in this half of the year.

Or a light jacket like ventultra one above or whatever endura, decathlon, madison etc have.

If you've already got that then personally I'd get a good gilet.

Wet arms don't bother me in this half of the year.

Or a light jacket like ventultra one above or whatever endura, decathlon, madison etc have.

I have the Galibier gilet. I'd prefer a long sleeve as I can wear it year round, eg spring/autumn/dry winter when I'll have a long sleeve jersey on.

Weepsie wrote: »
    You've never worn a shakedry jacket then?though that's twice the price of a gabba.

Never, those are serious money!

I'm pretty sure I'll convince myself I'll need one over the coming weeks

they/them/theirs

Hey everyone, this is a great thread sorry I have only had time to skim through it. I guess you know how life can be at times.

I'm finally getting back into cycling after taking a fairly lengthy hiatus where I just focused on running thanks to recent Achilles pain. I've decided to take a break from running at the moment and get back into cycling.

I need to add a few things to my sports wardrobe. I'd appreciate if you guys could give me feedback on the items I am thinking of ordering from planet X at the moment I only have one pair of cycling shorts and one long sleeve cycling jersey as well as cycling shoes and Speedplay cleats and pedals.

I've attached a screenshot of my planet X shopping basket. The only things I'm missing are a gilet and some leg warmers and perhaps a saddlebag if I can't find where my other one ran off to.

Screenshot 2021-04-28 232207.png

Realistically, what's a good budget to set to make sure I get all of the necessities without getting gear that's trash after one year?

• Advertisement

Wouldn't give them the business to be honest if their antics around brexit are true.

Wouldn't give them the business to be honest if their antics around brexit are true.

Sorry I've been a bit out of the loop, recently when it comes to issues around Brexit, from what I've briefly read planet X mistakenly charged European customers VAT at both the UK and European rates? From going to the checkout page. I don't seem to see any issue any more unless there is something that I am missing?

Hey everyone, this is a great thread sorry I have only had time to skim through it. I guess you know how life can be at times.

I'm finally getting back into cycling after taking a fairly lengthy hiatus where I just focused on running thanks to recent Achilles pain. I've decided to take a break from running at the moment and get back into cycling.

I need to add a few things to my sports wardrobe. I'd appreciate if you guys could give me feedback on the items I am thinking of ordering from planet X at the moment I only have one pair of cycling shorts and one long sleeve cycling jersey as well as cycling shoes and Speedplay cleats and pedals.

I've attached a screenshot of my planet X shopping basket. The only things I'm missing are a gilet and some leg warmers and perhaps a saddlebag if I can't find where my other one ran off to.

Screenshot 2021-04-28 232207.png

Realistically, what's a good budget to set to make sure I get all of the necessities without getting gear that's trash after one year?

I was similar to you and think I began this thread & bought from Planet X in the beginning.

I'd get a second tube, snood, lights for front and back (I have cheap as chips ones), 2 water bottles/bidons, long sleeve leg wear to go over the shorts (for cold mornings/winter)
    I have arm warmers, very rarely wear them but they're so cheap from PX, why not have them.
    If you plan on riding a fair bit & have the budget I'd recommend spending more on bib shorts. tbh I've no idea how good/bad the PX ones are, could be ok.

Good luck with it, hope you get hooked again. I took up cycling about a year ago and did my first century cycle this week.

Halfords have these, casual with padding. I checked and they have padding, not sure how thick. I'd still go the dedicated cyclimg shorts & casual shorts in a rucksack/pocket.

Just having a look around Amazon they have some pretty great deals on cycling clothing the vast majority from Chinese and other far East companies. A lot of the stuff has great reviews and the prices are are decent.

I like the look and price of this kit.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08ZC4CNFP/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_ZAX73P417GN05VEJPWZA?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Just having a look around Amazon they have some pretty great deals on cycling clothing the vast majority from Chinese and other far East companies. A lot of the stuff has great reviews and the prices are are decent.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08ZC4CNFP/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_ZAX73P417GN05VEJPWZA?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I assume all that stuff is made in Uighur forced labour camps now. I’ve watched too many documentaries

they/them/theirs

The phrase "Buy cheap, buy twice" springs to mind.

I guess at times that can be true although you would have to question how much of a profit margin the well-known cycling clothing brands are making on their products.

Came across this brand on Amazon their stuff appears to be of reasonable quality and they use UK sizing.

https://fdxsports.co.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,216 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Would not buy any of that. Nor would I trust any of those reviews. I find Amazon terrible for cycling clothing, so much cheap no name tat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

When it comes to cycling gear you will still be well in green:D

Advertisement