Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Starting out - bicycle recommendations megathread (see summary in OP)

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭LikeTheseOdds

- what is the intended use of the bike
    Leisure / Fitness

- what is your budget
    450 - 800

- are you using the bike to work scheme
    No

- Are you willing to consider going secondhand
    Yes but hesitant, wouldn't know what to watch out for when viewing secondhand bike.

- will you be using the bike in wet weather
    yes

- how tall you are
    5'8'' / 173cm

- are you looking for a woman's bike or a man's bike
    Mens

Hello, been really enjoying cycling again after taking it back up during the first lockdown. I'm looking at purchasing an entry-level road bike. I'd like to join a cycling club and do their easiest spins which seem to be 50-60km trip at 20km/h avg.

I've been looking in my local bike shop and their entry-level is a Merida Scultura 100 at 899. It's a challenge finding something in stock, I've also been looking at Decathalon's range of Tribans. The RC120 is nicely priced at 450. Based in Dublin so would travel to a shop to try out what they have.

Anything I should keep my eye out for or should I go with the rc120. Thanks!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,192 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i've a bike which matches those specs, for sale secondhand. can understand why you're hesitant to buy secondhand though.

my bike, FWIW:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058125701

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,271 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

That would be a beautiful starter bike - probably about the same weight as a lot of entry level bikes in the 500-800€ range but I'd imagine it is a great ride on Irish roads. Getting full mudguards with it would save a lot of hassle if you plan to use it through the winter too. I have a few years experience cycling at this stage (albeit I'm a useless mechanic) and have been messing around with fitting them for the last two weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭smndly

- what is the intended use of the bike (commuting/leisure/just going for a spin with the kids, etc.)

Looking for a road bike which can have a pannier for commuting but also useful for 50k+ spins at the weekend. Finding it difficult to find bikes that are in stock. More of an endurance rather than racer geometry.

- what is your budget

1400 max. Preferably 1200-1300

- are you using the bike to work scheme (this rules out secondhand bikes, and depending on your employer, potentially what bike shops you can use)

HSE Bike to Work

- are you willing to consider going secondhand
    No - B2W
    Yes
    - how tall you are
    5ft11

- are you looking for a woman's bike or man's bike
    Mans.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭simons104

what is the intended use of the bike - group spins ~100k, solo spins
    - what is your budget - 2000
    - are you using the bike to work scheme - Yes
    - aer you willing to consider going secondhand - No
    - will you be using the bike in wet weather - Probably not a lot
    - how tall you are - 5'9"
    - are you looking for a woman's bike or man's bike - Mans

Looking at a Trek Emonda ALR5 at the moment. Any thoughts/recommendations would be appreciated

That Trek is nice looking in the purple but for 2k???? You could do better in terms of price for that spec. Similar or very close spec Orbea goes for €1600 or the Giant Contend SL1 Disc for about 1700 I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Two grand for a 9kg road bike! Yikes.

That Trek is nice looking in the purple but for 2k???? You could do better in terms of price for that spec. Similar or very close spec Orbea goes for €1600 or the Giant Contend SL1 Disc for about 1700 I think.

Thanks, possibly fallen in love with the purple a little alright! What model Orbea should I be looking at?

Avant H30 was the one I looked at earlier this year, was meant to be a 40th birthday bike but zero stock till next year they said at the time haven't looked since. The frame is something you'll love or hate. I really loved the look of it and how they dealt with the cable routing.

Avant H30 was the one I looked at earlier this year, was meant to be a 40th birthday bike but zero stock till next year they said at the time haven't looked since. The frame is something you'll love or hate. I really loved the look of it and how they dealt with the cable routing.

Next August for the Avant unfortunately. Looks like July onwards for any bikes really by which time the new models will be coming out from what I gather

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Tony04

simons104 wrote: »

Looking at a Trek Emonda ALR5 at the moment. Any thoughts/recommendations would be appreciated

Alr5 is slightly heavy, although nice frame. and overpriced imo. Id probably go something like merida scultura alloy disc.
    Are you sure on aluminium there are plenty of good carbon options from online retailers like canyon rose vitus for that price. Take this vitus for example https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/ie/en/vitus-vitesse-evo-cr-road-bike-105-2021/rp-prod195723.
    Are you sure on disc brake while the braking is definitely better. Rim brakes are good value for the price and are lighter and you said you wont be riding in bad weather...
    Alot also depends on who you work with if your company uses a middle man for the b2w your limited with who you can buy from.
    2000€ is the price were the bike 2 work starts losing its value, you could get a really nice second hand bike for 1400€ alot better than what you could get for 2000€. Well at least you could have before covid caused a sellers paradise in the used bike market.
    But tbh 2000€ is all you need for a top performing road bike.

smndly wrote: »
    - what is the intended use of the bike (commuting/leisure/just going for a spin with the kids, etc.)

Looking for a road bike which can have a pannier for commuting but also useful for 50k+ spins at the weekend. Finding it difficult to find bikes that are in stock. More of an endurance rather than racer geometry.

- what is your budget

1400 max. Preferably 1200-1300

- are you using the bike to work scheme (this rules out secondhand bikes, and depending on your employer, potentially what bike shops you can use)

HSE Bike to Work

- are you willing to consider going secondhand
    No - B2W
    Yes
    - how tall you are
    5ft11

- are you looking for a woman's bike or man's bike
    Mans.

Disc or rim brake? Is something you need to consider.

Specialized allez is a nice road bike with pannier mounts but is dosc brake only for example

Would you consider online you can buy from anywhere on civil service b2w scheme and you can get savage deals on bikes. Take this radon for example https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/radon-r1-disc-105-1073214

Would you consider getting a cheap 2nd hand hybrid to keep you ticking over and for commuting and then getting a separate road bike next year?

Also the giant tcr comes in around 2000 which is an outstanding bike for the price. Average components but a really nice upgradeable carbon frame. You wouldnt be getting more from bikes 2x the price

Next August for the Avant unfortunately. Looks like July onwards for any bikes really by which time the new models will be coming out from what I gather

No afaik 2020 bimes will be coming because alot of the frames have been built and probably sprayed. Problem is shimano has a backlog of orders from the covid lockdown but they focused on producing entry level commuting bike parts but by the new year production lines should be back to normal.
    Its worth the wait anyway, some other brands are rapidly manufacturing at the cost of qc.
    But anyone looking for a new bike now should be sorted by march/april

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,037 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I have a 6 year old Surly Straggler(heavy tourer/cyclocross) which has been rock solid and is brilliant for commuting and long distance without the climbs. I've started doing HIIT style climbing cycles up around Cruagh to try burn off some of my lockdown acquired pounds. I'm wondering should I just stick with my heavy Surly which is a good workout getting it up the hills to be fair. Alternatively I could get something like this Boardman SLR 8.9 on the cycle to work scheme

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭timeToLive

Looking to get a second hand mountain bike that will be used mainly for a route goes through a park, cycle lanes, roads, potholes, through a village etc.

I don't expect to cycle in the winter or on trails - I just like bigger wheels. I've had a road bike in the past but definitely want to go with a MTB.

Is there anything I should be aware of buying off donedeal or adverts? I've seen some for between 100-200e that look like they will do the job. Am I missing anything obvious?

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Sysmod

I'd avoid lesser known brands at that end of the market though and unless your roads are particularly bad avoid front suspension as it just adds unnecessary weight to the bike.

Reviving this question: we have a ladies bike but she finds slopes hard going. So once again considering electric for slope assist. Foldable would be nice to fit into a hatchback boot. We have a Thule bike rack but it's not recommended for electric bikes.
    I presume "hybrid" means you can pedal as well.
    Leisure use on country roads and greenways, so max 30 miles should be enough.

Local shop says would not sell anything under €2200, the cost of a Trek. Trek look to be for serious sport cyclists. Halfords in Wexford town have Carrera around €1200.

https://www.halfords.ie/bikes/electric-bikes/?prefn1=gender&prefv1=Unisex%7CWomens&prefn2=numberofgears&prefv2=1%7C3%7C6&prefn3=type&prefv3=Electric%20Hybrid%20Bikes%7CElectric%20Folding%20Bikes

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭elvisn

- what is the intended use of the bike: Leisure/Fitness. Likely leaning towards a road bike as I may do a long multi day long distance cycle in the future.

- what is your budget. €1250

- are you using the bike to work scheme. Yes

- aer you willing to consider going secondhand. No

- will you be using the bike in wet weather. Possibly, but not by choice. ie if it's raining I won't be departing my house on the bike. But if I've taken the bike and it's raining, I'll begrudgingly use it to get home.

- how tall you are. 5'9

- are you looking for a woman's bike or man's bike. Mens bike

I'm a complete and utter novice here, I have zero equipment so I need all that to fit within the budget also. And I'm also likely looking for a turbo trainer so I can use the bike indoors.

I have come across this bundle, but I'm not sure if it's good/bad?

Sona Strada 2.0 Bike to Work Package #2 – Sonabikes

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,192 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

based on your comments, definitely a road bike i'd say. one thing you should do first is call around to your local bike shop to see what sort of stock they have or can provide - and check the terms of your employers BTW scheme to see if it limits you in any way as to which shops you can use. you'd need to include money for clothes, helmet. etc - and pedals and shoes if you go for clip in ones.

you'd probably want to budget €1k for the bike and €250 for ancillaries, unless you're willing to spend more than the €1.25k (most shops will be happy to deal with this, but obviously anything above the ceiling won't have any tax benefit)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 AgnesCalhoun1

- what is the intended use of the bike - group spins ~50km, solo spins, a yearly triathlon or two

- what is your budget - 800

- are you willing to consider going secondhand - No

- how tall you are - 5'7"

- are you looking for a woman's bike or man's bike - Mans/Unisex

What is your budget?

€1250 or maybe more if I can get it to work with the B2W scheme.

Will you use B2W?

Yes

What will you use the bike for?

Hoping to get a bike to use on the a Trainer and for some outdoor riding.

Any preferences?

I would like an aluminium gravel bike firstly because I think it would be more resistant to the forces of riding a trainer and secondly Irish country roads aren't exactly the smoothest so as I have learnt from riding my other bike I could do with wider tyres.

Height/Inseam if asking for size?

176cm with an 83 instem.

Unfortunately can’t edit my earlier post but having done some research and turns out that Decathlon has a decent range of bikes including a 105 equipped Gravel bike for €1000 unfortunately however like everywhere else they have no stock available at least that’s what their website says.

Just thought I would let others know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,271 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Cube Nuroad range might be worth a look - stock is similar to all brands but they do pop up so maybe see if there is a dealer near you? Or if you are looking online, Canyon Endurace or Grail could be options too. If you are only planning to use it on roads, I would consider an endurance type road bike rather than a gravel bike with 32mm slick tires.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 tommcg

Hello, newbie to boards here. This thread popped up on a google search so decided to join up.

Looking for a new road bike.

A bit about me. I’m primarily a runner. The body though is getting older and can’t handle as many miles a week as I used to be able to do so I want to do more cross training to supplement my running.I bought a smart trainer during one of the lockdowns and attached a cheap and nasty 15 year old Halfords bike and joined up to Zwift. Loving it to be honest and I’m up to a B category rider on Zwift now and more importantly for me anyway it’s really helping me as a runner ,so now I want to take my riding outside also.

Ok, Budget. I don’t really have a budget, don’t want this to sound the wrong way but I have the money to buy whatever bike suits me, be it one for €1k or €3k or whatever. I know anything more than that would definitely me wasted on me.

I don’t qualify for BTW  scheme as I’m self employed.

There is a canal path a stones throw from my house that stretches to Longford in one direction and almost to Dublin in the other. I would expect this will be where I am 99% of the time. I am in Dublin regularly and often stop in the Phoenix Park for a run so I can see myself bringing the bike in the car some days and cycling there also. I can’t honestly see myself joining a cycling club as I’m already heavily involved in my running club and I want to keep running while I’m still somewhat at a standard where I am competitive.

Basically I want something to get me out the door cross training and building up to maybe 100km rides.

With all that said, and I apologise if I’m waffling, I found two bikes that in my eyes are the complete opposite of each other price wise and components wise.

Like I said budget isn’t an issue but I am someone who knows the value of money and I don’t want to buy something I don’t need.

Bike 1 is a Giant Defy, it’s Carbon with 105 at a cost of I think €2700

Bike 2 is a Trek Domane AL3 which is obviously aluminium and has Sora and costs €1200

Now with what I have explained, is the Trek bike good enough for my needs?

I have a problem that when I go to buy something I research it way too much and often leave myself even more confused.People say the Sora is grand others say it’s shite.

A cyclist friend advised getting the Trek. His theory is that it would be perfect for what I want but if I decided I wanted to get into cycling in a bigger way in the future then I can always sell and upgrade but if I bought the Giant and only used it on a canal path and a turbo trainer then it would be a waste even if I can afford it. This is probably good advice but looking for other opinions.

Anyways any advice would be greatly appreciated and apologies once again for waffling a bit!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,206 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

Giant defy advanced is a carbon frame and trek is aluminium..if you are going to do below 100k rides on flat terrain go with trek..else giant defy is more future proof once u get addiction of doing long rides ! Selling a second hand bike will fetch your 70% max of price as people expect it to be bought under bike to work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 129 ✭✭julie2tubz

Hi just wondering if anyone could help me please. I’m 5ft 6 female and was initially looking for a gravel/adventure bike moved to kerry relatively recently. Not looking to compete in any serious races and would like the comfort of a gravel with bigger tyres but also use as a road bike etc

Anyway Boardman has a gravel bike 8.9 adv. but it is only in mens. there is a 8.6 in womens but I’m using bike to work and would like the better bike

my question is - is there a problem with a women cycling “mens” bikes besides - sizes only starting at mens small which is described as suiting people from 5ft 5 what other difficulty could I get into as a female cycling a mens bike.

would appreciate any help or advice?

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,585 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Any advice appreciated!

Looking at getting a bike on the B2W scheme. The cycle is roughly around 11km, through Dublin city centre (Liffey Valley to docklands).

I've never owned a bike before, but I am able to cycle a bike. Fitness level is pretty much zero.

Open to budget.

Thanks

e-bike or traditional bike?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,160 ✭✭✭nilhg

In a lot of brands the only difference between men and womens bikes is the paint job and the finishing kit, the only thing that might be an issue for you would be the saddle, you might want one of the female specific ones, but saddles are so individual it's always a lottery what comes on a new bike. most experienced riders will have apreferred model they'll swap in.

EDIT: I just had a look, the M ladies frame has exactly the same Geometry as the S mens, exactly the same frame on the 8.6 range, 8.9 is exactly the same frame too with a better groupset. If you are comfortable on the Smens then I see no reason not to go for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 129 ✭✭julie2tubz

I reall

thank you so much for the speedy reply. Appreciate it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement