Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus and the effect on Public transport

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

Weldoninhio - rather than obsessively hassling the (very) low-paid people who work in customer service for transport companies, day in, day out, try bearing in mind that they aren't your own personal punchbag. They have no power. Literally all they can do is pass on information - either to or from the customer. And if the customer's attitude stinks as badly as yours clearly does, they should refuse to engage.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if drivers have identified you from your tweets and are deliberately driving past you because of how you speak to their colleagues.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

Suppose takes one to know one ;-)

Been called many things doesn't mean it's true....

Today was very bad, leaving so many behind, the usual dirty looks, arms in the air, aggression etc....

People seriously we don't get pleasure out of this, I say this for all and myself we didn't sign up to leave people.
    I fully appreciate people are trying to get to work, appointment or home etc.

I had 20/21 onboard, emptied and filled again a few times, left a lot behind too.

Haven't been on twitter etc but I do hope this is been put out there so that people stop taking it out on us, we are trying our best.

I can't speak for others but I can understand that drivers are just following the guidelines they have been set out. My anger lies completely and totally with the government for setting out these riddiculous guidelines. Though there are a few dickhead bus drivers out there but they exist in all walks of life. People should direct their anger towards the NTA, Eamonn Ryan, Anne Graham, Michael Martin, Stephen Donnelly and Tony Holohan next time their left stranded not Dublin Bus, GAI or BE and certainly not induvidual drivers.

For example I was on a bus back in the summer two people who were clearly a couple sat together. The bus driver stopped the bus got out of the cab and came upstairs and told them in a very rude manner they had to sit in seats without signage when the person explained they both lived together he told them it dosen't matter. I thought this approach was completely ott and I thought that it was lucky the two were not the type who would have verbally abused or assaulted. That being said if they were two junkies he probably would have kept his mouth shut. But generally this type of driver seem to be in a minority. I travelled with my mam on another ocassion and sat together and nothing was said.

Having buses limited to 17 passengers with the schools open is quite frankly the definition of insanity. Yet there is basically zero restriction on numbers on the Luas which just makes a mockery of the whole thing as if covid spread more on the bus than it did on the Luas, Dart seems fairly dead mind you apart from school kids.

I think it would be useful if the app and RTPI signs could display if the bus could show if a bus was full. Perhaps it could be something that could be introduced with bus connects even before covid ahen i used the bus at peak times I used to find it very frustrating when you'd stick your hand out and the bus would sail past.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

So my bus today had a full bus.

I got off the bus early after the second time someone asked me to move my bag so they bag so they could sit next to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

So my bus today had a full bus.

I got off the bus early after the second time someone asked me to move my bag so they bag so they could sit next to me.

I don't understand? Why would you get off?
    Leave your bag there and don't allow them to sit beside you. It's up to each individual to look out for themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

I don't understand? Why would you get off?
    Leave your bag there and don't allow them to sit beside you. It's up to each individual to look out for themselves.

I had to get off a few times during the first lockdown. It's one thing letting 50% of people onto the bus so everyone can sit alone, but packing it so people are on top of you is not safe. Poster could be working with vulnerable people, in a hospital or school. Bus providers have a duty of care to their passengers too.

• Advertisement

I had to get off a few times during the first lockdown. It's one thing letting 50% of people onto the bus so everyone can sit alone, but packing it so people are on top of you is not safe. Poster could be working with vulnerable people, in a hospital or school. Bus providers have a duty of care to their passengers too.

What are you on about?

You aren't the poster.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

What are you on about?

You aren't the poster.....

Were you under the impression that this was a private messaging service? You asked why would someone get off. I explained why. Now mine is just my example, but I’d be pretty sure it is the reason the OP in this case got off too. There is a DM service if you’d prefer to speak to that poster directly too though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,301 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Gardaí in Kevin Street have put out a public appeal to identify anti-mask protestors on the Luas who were not wearing face coverings & taking part in anti-social behaviour while going on a journey from Heuston Station to Jervis St. 98FM have reported that the incident had taken place on the 2nd of November with it being widely shared on social media. The individuals involved boarded the tram at Heuston Station at 4:30pm. They were taking part in anti-social & offensive behaviour towards other passengers by asking them to remove their face coverings. Transdev has said via the Luas Twitter account that they have passed on high quality CCTV footage to Gardaí to try & prosecute the individuals.

https://www.98fm.com/news/gardai-appeal-for-witnesses-to-luas-anti-mask-incident-to-contact-them-1107861

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

Gardaí in Kevin Street have put out a public appeal to identify anti-mask protestors on the Luas who were not wearing face coverings & taking part in anti-social behaviour while going on a journey from Heuston Station to Jervis St. 98FM have reported that the incident had taken place on the 2nd of November with it being widely shared on social media. The individuals involved boarded the tram at Heuston Station at 4:30pm. They were taking part in anti-social & offensive behaviour towards other passengers by asking them to remove their face coverings. Transdev has said via the Luas Twitter account that they have passed on high quality CCTV footage to Gardaí to try & prosecute the individuals.

https://www.98fm.com/news/gardai-appeal-for-witnesses-to-luas-anti-mask-incident-to-contact-them-1107861

Is it not odd that they really dont care about the bus system?

.. Garda really have zero interest in enforcing it at check points.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭john boye

Saw a couple of DB SGs earlier with sanitiser dispensers around the centre doors.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 382 ✭✭oldtimeyfella

Just to throw in my two cents as a frontline public transport worker I have to say that people pretty much ignored the restrictions this time around.

Week days were quiet enough because you didn't get the day trippers for shopping because nothing was open but weekends are actually fairly busy with people "just heading off for the day for a change of scenery" or rather obviously making their way to various houseparties/meet ups.

The Gardaí helped us out a bit and were visible fairly often during the first lockdown, their superintendent even came up and had a chat with us, but they just didn't bother during this second one.

In fact, one of my colleagues got a dressing down from one of the Gardaí after he phoned them about a bunch of scaldies that were causing mayhem on his vehicle by not wearing masks and deliberately breaking social distancing rules with other members of the public. He pretty much got told that it wasn't his place to enforce the rules and that he was wasting Garda resources by making the call.

Management and unions have been pretty much invisible/dismal during the entire thing. Absolutely no guidance issued by either and anything regarding covid regulations issued by the company is copied and pasted from the HSE guidelines. No practical advice on how we are to carry out our work. We didn't get hand sanitisation stations for either the public or staff until the end of May. Masks weren't provided until September and they are complete rubbish, they are supposed to be washable but they fall apart fairly quickly and I even got a couple that the ear elastic broke on the first time I put them on.

Most management has been working from home since March and it really shows. They neither know nor care about what is going on on the ground.

EDIT: added some stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 8,301 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

^^^^^^^

Do you think the increase in capacity to 50% is going to make your job much harder to manage in the run up to Christmas?

^^^^^^^

Do you think the increase in capacity to 50% is going to make your job much harder to manage in the run up to Christmas?

Honestly, i dislike the Christmas period in work on a normal year. So much antisocial behaviour. People act like animals around this time of year at the best of times.

This year is going to be off the charts. 50% capacity is going to mean nothing, it'll be a free-for-all.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,698 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

50% capacity allows us to be a lot more lenient, thank jaysus

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

Honestly, i dislike the Christmas period in work on a normal year. So much antisocial behaviour. People act like animals around this time of year at the best of times.

This year is going to be off the charts. 50% capacity is going to mean nothing, it'll be a free-for-all.

On the other hand, if you drive up to a bunch of idiots, you can put up your hands and shout BUS FULL .

Plenty of scobbys and drunks have been walking home for the last few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭TK Lemon

Are Dublin Bus or Go Ahead going back to 50% capacity tomorrow? Anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭ax586

TK Lemon wrote: »

They are indeed

TK Lemon wrote: »

31 on sg
    33 on VG

A notice was posted again that any person on board including a baby is classed as a number on board.

Best of luck to all getting on as it's going to be nuts.

31 on sg
    33 on VG

A notice was posted again that any person on board including a baby is classed as a number on board.

Best of luck to all getting on as it's going to be nuts.

Thought they were allowing 6 standees on an SG last time they were at 50% capacity. Has this been done away with now? Also are drivers who go over capacity getting in trouble?

Pre booking mandatory on all Irish Rail intercity trains between 18th December and 6th January.
    https://www.irishrail.ie/en-ie/news/pre-booking-mandatory-for-travel-on-intercity-rail

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭ITV2

GT89 wrote: »
    Thought they were allowing 6 standees on an SG last time they were at 50% capacity. Has this been done away with now? Also are drivers who go over capacity getting in trouble?

I haven't heard of anyone getting into trouble yet.

Wouldn't be going out of my way to over load but the seating on a ev is totally different, it's not every window seat like the others.

Haven't been on one so only see it now.

Driver's putting themselves and others at risk is a bit silly to be honest but nobody knows what's going to happen.

Wife just found out her and other hospital staff had the virus in December last year....

Face coverings now mandatory in taxis think it's mad this is only mandatory now. Interestingly though it says they are mandatory for drivers and passengers which I find odd surely it should only be for passengers if there is a perspex screen in place same way bus drivers and retail staff don't have to wear them if there is a screen.
    https://www.thejournal.ie/face-coverings-taxis-5291228-Dec2020/

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Face coverings now mandatory in taxis think it's mad this is only mandatory now. Interestingly though it says they are mandatory for drivers and passengers which I find odd surely it should only be for passengers if there is a perspex screen in place same way bus drivers and retail staff don't have to wear them if there is a screen.
    https://www.thejournal.ie/face-coverings-taxis-5291228-Dec2020/

Probably because screens are only partially effective.

No single step you take is perfect protection, but the more steps you take, the safer you are and adding masks along with existing screens is an extremely low cost extra step.

Think of it like how wearing a seat belt in a car makes you safer and less likely to die in a car crash, but it is still possible to die in a car crash, just less likely.

Now add multiple air bags to the car, ABS, collision detection, crumple zones, etc. With each new safety feature added, your chances of surving a crash increase.

There is no silver bullet solution that will protect you (until we get vaccinated anyway), instead you have to take multiple steps which hopefully all together protect you and help reduce the overall number of cases.

bk wrote: »
    Probably because screens are only partially effective.

No single step you take is perfect protection, but the more steps you take, the safer you are and adding masks along with existing screens is an extremely low cost extra step.

Think of it like how wearing a seat belt in a car makes you safer and less likely to die in a car crash, but it is still possible to die in a car crash, just less likely.

Now add multiple air bags to the car, ABS, collision detection, crumple zones, etc. With each new safety feature added, your chances of surving a crash increase.

There is no silver bullet solution that will protect you (until we get vaccinated anyway), instead you have to take multiple steps which hopefully all together protect you and help reduce the overall number of cases.

You may be right I just think it's odd that screens are good enough for bus drivers and retail staff under the legislation but not good enough for taxi drivers. As the laws mandating the use of face coverings in shops and on public transport provide an exemption for staff who can work behind a screen such as bus drivers or till staff but the legislation for masks in taxis does not provide such an exemption. I'm more speaking from the pov of the legislation that is there rather than a scientific pov.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭john boye

You may be right I just think it's odd that screens are good enough for bus drivers and retail staff under the legislation but not good enough for taxi drivers. As the laws mandating the use of face coverings in shops and on public transport provide an exemption for staff who can work behind a screen such as bus drivers or till staff but the legislation for masks in taxis does not provide such an exemption. I'm more speaking from the pov of the legislation that is there rather than a scientific pov.

I could be wrong but up until a few weeks ago I believe not all taxis had screens fitted so that could be why masks are mandatory for drivers.

john boye wrote: »
    I could be wrong but up until a few weeks ago I believe not all taxis had screens fitted so that could be why masks are mandatory for drivers.

True but not all buses have screens either or at least not when the regulations were first introduced

Pre booking mandatory on all Irish Rail intercity trains between 18th December and 6th January.
    https://www.irishrail.ie/en-ie/news/pre-booking-mandatory-for-travel-on-intercity-rail

Another completely unimplementable suggestion from the back office types that will be mostly ignored by the public.

Imagine expecting front line workers to tackle a bunch of scaldies on their way to get their fix or pull up the crowd of 15 lads out on the piss before they break up work for Christmas because neither group has their seats booked?

Pure fantasy from the company once again.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Another completely unimplementable suggestion for the back office types that will be mostly ignored by the public.

Imagine expecting front line workers to tackle a bunch of scaldies on their way to get their fix or pull up the crowd of 15 lads out on the piss before they break up work for Christmas because neither group has their seats booked?

Pure fantasy from the company once again.

Errr.... They won't even get on the trains. There are ticket checkers at the gates before you even get to the train.

Also lots of security at Heuston and Connolly Station. This isn't anything new, they have long recommended pre-booking near Christmas and have always had lots of staff around to handle the big queues of passengers trying to board.

• Advertisement

bk wrote: »
    Errr.... They won't even get on the trains. There are ticket checkers at the gates before you even get to the train.

Also lots of security at Heuston and Connolly Station. This isn't anything new, they have long recommended pre-booking near Christmas and have always had lots of staff around to handle the big queues of passengers trying to board.

What about people travelling Connolly to Drogheda or Dundalk. I'm guessing they could travel on an Enterprise rather than a Commuter service likewise people travelling to Bray or Greystones on the Rosslare service or travelling to Kildare, Portarlington or Portlaoise on an intercity service out of Hueston. Plenty of journeys covered by both intercity and commuter trains.

Advertisement