Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus and the effect on Public transport

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

Bus was shambles this morning. First bus didn't stop at all due to being full/driver following rules and second I got on soon had people standing, people sitting in the marked off seats, people with mask off to drink coffee etc. I work for government in essential service and can't work from home. This is as bad/unsafe as PT has been since original lockdown. At least then the sectors allowed open were restricted so buses weren't busy at all & not much traffic about.

Dreading when kids are back next week now, full buses plus bus stuck in school traffic so on bus for longer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

Bus was shambles this morning. First bus didn't stop at all due to being full/driver following rules and second I got on soon had people standing, people sitting in the marked off seats, people with mask off to drink coffee etc. I work for government in essential service and can't work from home. This is as bad/unsafe as PT has been since original lockdown. At least then the sectors allowed open were restricted so buses weren't busy at all & not much traffic about.

Dreading when kids are back next week now, full buses plus bus stuck in school traffic so on bus for longer.

If it's just going to depend on the induvidual driver how many the bus takes then there's no point on limiting capacity. Even in normal times a full bus can very much depend on each induvidual driver some drivers will go well above the limit and others will go past full when the bus has lower than the capacity.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I honestly feel terribly bad leaving people behind, feels ridiculous when I look and see seats everywhere and loads of room but the powers that be have given us a never and I follow these as best I can.

Common sense too can be used also as I've had more then 17 on but it's a difficult one.... If people are together they sit together which then frees up another space and with the school kids they just like on and sit on top of eachother.

All I'll say is if one doesn't need to travel then just don't for the next few weeks, I understand it's hard but if we can get the numbers down hopefully we won't be ruined.

I honestly feel terribly bad leaving people behind, feels ridiculous when I look and see seats everywhere and loads of room but the powers that be have given us a never and I follow these as best I can.

Common sense too can be used also as I've had more then 17 on but it's a difficult one.... If people are together they sit together which then frees up another space and with the school kids they just like on and sit on top of eachother.

All I'll say is if one doesn't need to travel then just don't for the next few weeks, I understand it's hard but if we can get the numbers down hopefully we won't be ruined.

How do feel about drivers who disregard the limits entirely?

GT89 wrote: »
    How do feel about drivers who disregard the limits entirely?

Knowingly doing so they should have more respect for others and themselves.....

Its all down to do we want any easy day or a day of abuse.... Many reporting been abused for following as best as possible and even people going nuts for 1 over etc etc.... No matter what we are wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

TutboTommy wrote: »
    Normally not a fan of these forums for many reasons, but I had to correct some of the nonsense.

I don't know if he was a troll or not, but to the guy who thought there is no enforcement on PT there was and there is, you just have not seen it yet.
    I work with the health minister so i'm aware of all the strategies they are using and some of them are pretty clever. They are stopping people getting off busses at major points, sometimes even boarding the bus before the stop and having driver close the door behind them.

The guards get lied to about 20 times a day, it's part of the job you have to learn to live with pretty quickly, the one plus side of it is because they get lied to so often they are good at spotting it when you are doing it. If tey doubt you they might ask for some sort of proof of what you are saying.

Remember you can't just say ''shopping'' and that's it, look at the language of the actual Act of Oireachtas and the actual miniserial order it can't just be an excuse it has to be a ''reasonable'' excuse. So if you are far from home because you are going to get chemo in hospital ok. If you are shopping but you have gone 60 miles from home past loads of possible supermarkets, chemests etc, you have failed the 'reasonable' test.

They are also checking rail they may not ride the actual train, because we don't have a transport police they can't go outside their district (which is stupid) but the train will hold while they do their thing. They often pick major interchanges but I've also seen them at smaller stations.
    Incidentally, if you don't have a ticket you are technically tresspassing and that's probable cause for a search...they are catching a lot of criminals by using the covid regs as a gateway!

I think DBs idea of different fares at different times was a great notion...what seems to be happening, over and over, is the 3-4 members of the cabinet that have some cop on and brains bring stuff to the full cabinet and then the rest rip the ideas apart and some half assed watered down version comes out later. That is what happened with the house party regs, they were ripped apart and no no no last time, then covid spiked like crazy and they had to go do what was suggested in the first place...a law to deal with house parties.

THe reason they are scared re:50 percent is masks are not the total protection people seem to think they are.

There are two issues I think the govt and the last one should have put more emphasis on:

1. Covid can wreck your body even if it does not kill you, search the terms 'long term covid' etc and see about the scarred lungs, the never ending low energy, the heart problems etc etc at the start of this they were eager to put out the message 'dont worry most people just get flu like symptoms v few die' that they put out the suggestion that if you don't die you are fine...that's not the case, there is a huge third category. 60% have nurological symptoms months after they have ''recovered'

2. Masks are not a cure all, they reduce they dont' eliminate. Even the masks they wear in hospitals don't stop everything escaping, so we can't pack the busses again even if everyone is masked. There is some debate to be had (there is a range of possible reasonable options in every covid decision) about what % but we can't just stuff people in like before.

GT you are flat out WRONG that it only affects vunerable people severely, that is not true. THey are the most affected group that is not the same as saying it ONLY affects them. There are 28 year old athletes with scarred lungs for life and 30 year olds with no energy no matter how much they sleep, people with brain infarks because of lack of oxigen. It's NOT a case of die or the flu.

This things way more contagious than the flu and way more lethal.

If we had not locked down earlier in the year there would have been exponential growth and 30-50 000 deaths.
    In addition, these vunerabe people can't just be thrown to the wolves. They mix with everyone else all the time there is no way to seal them off, you are talking about around 30% of the country here, everyone thiks that group includes just old people but it's a wide category. There are 20 year olds who are expected to live a normal lifespan, and going back to toral normal before a vaccine or a proper testing system would write them off.

You can't bloddy seal the vunerable off, they have LIVES they have to go to work they have to go to the supermarket they will be breathing the same air as you no matter how well protected they are.

There is a boatload of new quick test kits order coming in december that will allow people to test themselves and at work etc which should allow things to open a bit, they are quick and easy they may be a game changer they are already on order.
    Theres also several vaccine trials looking promising several of which would be manufactured here. Though the vaccine will come in phases certain groups will get it first.

This won't take forever. I had someone take my head off on the 145/155 the other day. The driver got out of his cab and asked a woman (to my shame wearing a jacket from the same uni as me) to stop eating and put her mask on. She did, I got a panic in my chest I'm working from home loads because liver issues mean I'm in the vunerable group despite being extremely fit otherwise. I opened two of the small slide windows to clear the air since I just realized (which i had not before) someone maskless was sitting right behind me. She rather hysterically got up and slammed them shut. I kinda lost it and said they stay open until I get off so the air can clear, or I'll f---- toss you off the bus myself. This may be something some people read about but I have to read all these horror reports at work and in news knowing full well it could be me gasping on a respirator any day because someone was too lazy to follow some easy rules.

Our grandparents and great grandparents endured plagues, carpet bombins, world wars, genocide, famines, and diseases like smallpox with 50 and 90percent death rates...if we can't handle a few restrictions here and there we ought to be embarrased to be their successors.

Can not believe this obvious waffle got 9 likes, and has remained up. 60% of people who’ve had Covid have neurological symptoms months after??

Using outliers like the “28yo athlete” to spread fear.

When was Ireland carpet bombed? When was the genocide?

Absolute nonsense.

Buses have been busy this week again. Be a nightmare next week when the kids are back in school, I’ve started going to work an hour early to miss the rush, but getting home is a pain in the hoop. I’ve only one option, 33/a, to get when I live. Full bus, wait half an hour and pray.

Noticed the seat signage on some buses now seems to be placed on the wrong seats. The bus I was on today seemed to have yellow signs on random seats not spaced at 2m apart in some instances. Also some aisle seats had no signage whereas in the past it was only window seats in use.

Noticed the seat signage on some buses now seems to be placed on the wrong seats. The bus I was on today seemed to have yellow signs on random seats not spaced at 2m apart in some instances. Also some aisle seats had no signage whereas in the past it was only window seats in use.

That is because people are pulling them off and other move them around, come on you must know this.

That is because people are pulling them off and other move them around, come on you must know this.

Yeah but this bus had 3 or 4 rows of seats all blocked off. They were put on with adhesive no sign of vandalism. It should be every second row of seats blocked off on the upper deck but not the case on this bus.

All those signs must be costing a fortune seems like a bit of a waste of money now at this stage in the game. I think most people have been conditioned to keep 2m apart at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

All those signs must be costing a fortune seems like a bit of a waste of money now at this stage in the game. I think most people have been conditioned to keep 2m apart at this stage.

LOL, no they haven't... Take away the signage and we'll have 90 people on top of each other no problem within 3 days

• Advertisement

LOL, no they haven't... Take away the signage and we'll have 90 people on top of each other no problem within 3 days

No signage on buses in London just a limit of 30 people per double decker. Actually saw a DB bus with no signage at all there about a week ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭p_haugh

Had to get a bus yesterday and got a Donnybrook VT on the 145, noticed it still had the seats marked off as if for 50% capacity

Good news! Scientists in the UK have basically confirmed what I have thought for months that public transport is not a risky place for cv19 transmission says a lot about our fear mongering government advising people not to use it and reducing passenger limits to near to the point of making buses useless.
    Research carried out by the RSSB (formerly Rail Safety and Standard Board) in July, found the chances of catching the virus on a train as 1 in 11,000.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-54793554

And that's on a train where the driver does not have the ability to drive past people at stops when the vehicle is 80% empty.

What is it with absolute dicks giving us grief because they don't pay or want to pay a tiny miniscule fare....

Essential travel me hoop.....

Feel terribly bad having to leave genuine workers behind when carrying many that shouldn't be taking up that space.

Gubernment needs to get real and serious about this

Good news! Scientists in the UK have basically confirmed what I have thought for months that public transport is not a risky place for cv19 transmission says a lot about our fear mongering government advising people not to use it and reducing passenger limits to near to the point of making buses useless.

And that's on a train where the driver does not have the ability to drive past people at stops when the vehicle is 80% empty.

If you go honestly think PT is safe then you really need to see someone.

The dirt of some and coughing and sneezing and spitting etc.

If you go honestly think PT is safe then you really need to see someone.

The dirt of some and coughing and sneezing and spitting etc.

So explain why the swabs say otherwise?

So explain why the swabs say otherwise?

Its the same crap about schools are safe and the kids are so good wearing masks and staying 6 feet apart... Far from it when outside the gates and at bus stops, shops, parks, on buses or trains etc etc...

Its the same crap about schools are safe and the kids are so good wearing masks and staying 6 feet apart... Far from it when outside the gates and at bus stops, shops, parks, on buses or trains etc etc...

So are you saying the problem is more at the stop than on board?

So are you saying the problem is more at the stop than on board?

Both...

As soon as they're on masks are off, on top of eachother, no respect in many cases etc etc....

Not all bad either, wouldn't be fair to say that.

Both...

As soon as they're on masks are off, on top of eachother, no respect in many cases etc etc....

Not all bad either, wouldn't be fair to say that.

Rowdy school children on buses is hardly a new phenomenon it's human nature not to want to wear a mask and for younger people to want to congregate in groups.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭StreetLight

Rowdy school children on buses is hardly a new phenomenon it's human nature not to want to wear a mask and for younger people to want to congregate in groups.

But Covid19 is a new phenomenon and we are all being asked to change our behaviour, schoolgoers included.

But Covid19 is a new phenomenon and we are all being asked to change our behaviour, schoolgoers included.

We're talking about children here

We're talking about children here

Who should be aware of the current situation if their parents were doing their job responsibly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

No surprise that you have selectively picked the parts of that report that fit your agenda.

The last line of it:
    However, the RSSB has said that as the infection rate has increased in he last couple of months, the assumptions used to make this calculation will be different, with an overall increased risk.

The report was made at the low point of infection in Britain, it is entirely possible that no c19 positive persons had been present in the timeframe to pass on the virus.

Public transport is no more or less special than any other place where close contact with other people occurs, mouth, nose or eye contact with vaporised droplets from infected persons will infect.

I'd class pt as high risk as there are all sorts using it and many with serious issues and cleaning themselves is one of them.... Absolute dirt birds coughing and sneezing into the air too....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

From my experience this week most drivers are ignoring the 10/17 passenger restrictions. Thank God. Fair play to them. Buses aren't being overloaded, but everyone is getting home.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Kyleboy

From my experience this week most drivers are ignoring the 10/17 passenger restrictions. Thank God. Fair play to them. Buses aren't being overloaded, but everyone is getting home.

If this is the case why are you saying bus drivers are brain dead?

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Tickityboo

Kyleboy wrote: »
    If this is the case why are you saying bus drivers are brain dead?

And idiots

Tickityboo wrote: »
    And idiots

Suppose takes one to know one ;-)

Been called many things doesn't mean it's true....

Today was very bad, leaving so many behind, the usual dirty looks, arms in the air, aggression etc....

People seriously we don't get pleasure out of this, I say this for all and myself we didn't sign up to leave people.
    I fully appreciate people are trying to get to work, appointment or home etc.

I had 20/21 onboard, emptied and filled again a few times, left a lot behind too.

Haven't been on twitter etc but I do hope this is been put out there so that people stop taking it out on us, we are trying our best.

• Advertisement

Strange behaviour from a "farce of a company".

Advertisement