Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus and the effect on Public transport

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Its more work for maintenance. In fact is pisses them off to no end.

I mean really. Why would any give a sh1t what they get up to behind. Let them at it.

17 is the number, and dont approach the driver without a mask... stay behind the yellow.
    Anything else does not effect our safety.

Maintenance don't clean buses .....

But I wouldn't do it myself only have for missing seats or say sick upstairs and blood a few times, saved leaving passengers stranded and kept them away from affected area.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

Maintenance don't clean buses .....

But I wouldn't do it myself only have for missing seats or say sick upstairs and blood a few times, saved leaving passengers stranded and kept them away from affected area.

Thought if there was blood or puke then the bus has to be pulled from service?

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭ITV2

GT89 wrote: »

I do all the time and only did so on Wednesday, H&S is more important to me than upset passengers.

If area can be closed off and I can get everyone home safe that's all that matters.

Luckily it's rare on the blood part but it does happen, vomit and pee etc is more common.

Needles would be another.

Obviously if it's a risk I wouldn't continue.

Irish Rail going back to reduced timetables again for the latest Level 5 restrictions
    https://www.irishrail.ie/en-ie/news/covid-19-update

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭dirk_dangler

Dublin Bus going to a Saturday service from monday 18

• Registered Users Posts: 8,318 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

GAI's twitter were saying since Thursday that additional school services are not running until further advice is received. Please plan your trips accordingly.

I presume these are the routes that are running for schools in North Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,318 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Bus Eireann are have said some of their regional departures will be cancelled on Sunday.

East region

https://www.buseireann.ie/service_updates.php?id=4500&month=Jan

South East

https://www.buseireann.ie/service_updates.php?id=4499&month=Jan

South/SW - Route 14

https://www.buseireann.ie/service_updates.php?id=4497&month=Jan

Revised Expressway T/T are also coming into effect for the X8, X12 & 20/X20 from later today.

https://www.buseireann.ie/service_updates.php?id=4469&month=Dec

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I presume this is inside info since I don't see anything on website or twitter? If so, thanks. Will need to rejig some journeys. But actually it's bizarrely an improved service on 25a except for early morning and rush hour. Happy days if true.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭d51984

GAI's twitter were saying since Thursday that additional school services are not running until further advice is received. Please plan your trips accordingly.

I presume these are the routes that are running for schools in North Dublin.

Yes all the S prefix routes.

Its a disgrace Joe!

• Advertisement

d51984 wrote: »
    Yes all the S prefix routes.

I've heard they weren't very many even when the schools were open

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭OscarMIlde

I hope that's not a blanket decision for all routes. There's not enough capacity for my route at 25% capacity with a Saturday service in rush hour. Especially not with the students back. My x home was had roughly 15-16 passengers when I got on today. I'll be stranded with these changes. Usage is nowhere near as low as it was last lockdown.

OscarMIlde wrote: »
    I hope that's not a blanket decision for all routes. There's not enough capacity for my route at 25% capacity with a Saturday service in rush hour. Especially not with the students back. My x home was had roughly 15-16 passengers when I got on today. I'll be stranded with these changes. Usage is nowhere near as low as it was last lockdown.

The students aren't back though that's why it's going to Saturday service, there is nobody out and not many have a genuine reason to be out either.

Buses are bunching at terminus it's that quiet.

The students aren't back though that's why it's going to Saturday service, there is nobody out and not many have a genuine reason to be out either.

Third level students are still going in for labs and practical teaching. I know, I've seen several on my bus and in the building I work in. Granted, it's not normal college levels, but those students weren't travelling in during the first lockdown. Academic research labs within universities are also open, and were shut during the first lockdown.

OscarMIlde wrote: »
    Third level students are still going in for labs and practical teaching. I know, I've seen several on my bus and in the building I work in. Granted, it's not normal college levels, but those students weren't travelling in during the first lockdown. Academic research labs within universities are also open, and were shut during the first lockdown.

Must be a special route as everywhere else the numbers are way down.

Most buses I'm seeing are oy a few on. Hardly any that busy at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

Buses are bunching at termini because drivers are ignoring the timetables and arriving up to 40 minutes early.

.anon. wrote: »
    Buses are bunching at termini because drivers are ignoring the timetables and arriving up to 40 minutes early.

Equally you can blame management for not ensuring buses are keeping an even headway.

Equally you can blame management for not ensuring buses are keeping an even headway.

There's a screen above the driver's head that tells them whether they're running early or late. It's their responsibility to adhere to the timetable.

Must be a special route as everywhere else the numbers are way down.

Most buses I'm seeing are oy a few on. Hardly any that busy at all.

Now, there is. But when you get rid of all the x buses at rush hour and hope that one bus every half hour will be sufficient when only 17 are allowed on board, there will be essential workers left stuck. Happened to me between Christmas and New years while a Saturday service only was being run.

There's a screen above the driver's head that tells them whether they're running early or late. It's their responsibility to adhere to the timetable.

GAI controllers are obivously doing something to ensure drivers keep to what the screen says and DB are not. If nothing generally if nothing is seen to be done to ensure employees comply with an instruction it will be ignored.

• Advertisement

I actually can't wait till it comes in....

People will be sitting on a bus going nowhere....

Amount of people go nuts for the bus waiting to do last run, changing over drivers(not having the chats or standing around for the craic), so many don't realise how it works.

What are you on about..,

I am given a time to leave then I drive to the other end, there is no place or safe places to wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Kyleboy

Not true, driver only has a departure time, doesn't have a arrival time.

What are you on about..,

I am given a time to leave then I drive to the other end, there is no place or safe places to wait.
    Kyleboy wrote: »
    Not true, driver only has a departure time, doesn't have a arrival time.

Are you honestly saying there's no possible way for a driver to know whether they're running ahead of time or not? These obtuse attitudes from semi-state employees will ultimately lead to further privatisation of the network.

I actually can't wait till it comes in....

People will be sitting on a bus going nowhere....

Amount of people go nuts for the bus waiting to do last run, changing over drivers(not having the chats or standing around for the craic), so many don't realise how it works.

Maybe an annoucement like this would be helpful
    https://youtu.be/Dt77pRD3Wsw

Are you honestly saying there's no possible way for a driver to know whether they're running ahead of time or not? These obtuse attitudes from semi-state employees will ultimately lead to further privatisation of the network.

The drivers haven't been instructed or told to do so as part of the training. The blame for bus bunching and uneven headway lies with the company and the NTA for not ensuring this is kept to by controllers and drivers as company policy.

The drivers haven't been instructed or told to do so as part of the training. The blame for bus bunching and uneven headway lies with the company and the NTA for not ensuring this is kept to by controllers and drivers as company policy.

It's not rocket science - it hardly requires training. The company's efforts to control early running is being met with resistance from drivers. Meanwhile, a private company is currently managing to do it reasonably well, and is making itself look very good in the eyes of the NTA.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Tickityboo

It's not rocket science - it hardly requires training. The company's efforts to control early running is being met with resistance from drivers. Meanwhile, a private company is currently managing to do it reasonably well, and is making itself look very good in the eyes of the NTA.

I don't think having buses driving around at 20 to 30 kph causing obstruction to traffic behind or buses sitting at bus stops for minutes at a time blocking traffic and making other buses and traffic to make dangerous manoeuvres to get around them is being managed reasonably well!!

What is needed are official safe timing points to pull in and wait if you are ahead of schedule not the other dangerous nonsense that is going on.

I have 2 hours to get from one to the other....

Earlier on the journey I carried no more then 13, traffic was near zero, red traffic lights were basically the only pinch points as they've messed with these so very few gets through on the green.

This is all set up for normal times, we are coming on near a year now in exceptional circumstances and yet no real change.

I actually am not looking forward to the return of how it was because the road space is just not there, with all this covid bull and nonsense where road space is taken, bus lanes now in many cases where a bus just doesn't fit, poles in them to segregate cyclists but not many use this or they have a false sense of safety and they then in many cases pit themselves at risk by passing up the inside, yes not an issue normally but vehicles turning and indicated but cyclists continues on through, buses pulling in, no can't have that, much much more...

They want more 24 hour buses but yet sweet f all are actually working, more buses, more drivers needed, maintenance, cleaners etc....

What's all this costing and 90-95% reduction in numbers....

Ryanair for example when passenger numbers fall they pull services or cut down on amount of planes in the air..... NTA more buses..... Mind boggles

• Advertisement

Explain to me how changing the operator of the service will change that as it will still be the same drivers and the same unions regardless of who's operating the service. Personally I think DB and the NTA for that matter should listen to the unions and come to an agreement which allows for the implemention of timing points on routes just like they whenever they bring in a new bill for a route.

Advertisement