Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus and the effect on Public transport

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

Vic_08 wrote: »
    There are internal policies on such matters, the specifics of these are none of your business.

Why is it none my business? Over in the UK this information can be found in the public realm. A reminder as well that CIE and the NTA are both taxpayer funded organisations so there should not be secrecy when it comes to matters of public safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,302 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Mayor of London Sadiq Khan has put out dronician measures while applying for a second bailout for TfL from the British Government.

He said at least 90% of fare revenue has been lost during Covid.
    The mayor told the BBC: "It gives me no pleasure in saying so, but our prime minister today, on the floor of the House of Commons, has lied.

"We as a transport authority rely hugely on transport fares from Londoners, and more than 90% of that has dried up, which is why we need a Covid bailout from the government.

"What the government is doing instead is punishing Londoners by imposing all sorts of draconian conditions."

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-54624961

Jesus. That is quite stark & depressing news to hear from TfL's point of view. As the major transport authority in the British capital; they are really bearing the brunt of these restrictions in the UK with no end in sight with how Covid is going to die down in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,201 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Absolute shambles this morning across the DB network from what I can see.

Serious conversations needed between TFI & Gov. 17 on board just isn't sufficient for the amount of people designated essential this time around

Absolute shambles this morning across the DB network from what I can see.

Serious conversations needed between TFI & Gov. 17 on board just isn't sufficient for the amount of people designated essential this time around

Or maybe don't bother with discussions and just let on more than 17 anyway just like that gym that is remaining open despite the restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

GT89 wrote: »
    Are bus operators allowed to leave school children stranded as children would possibly be classed as vulnerable induviduals. Over in the UK I know that bus drivers must accept at risk such as lone women late at night, elderly people and children passengers regardless if they have the fare or not in these times have a mask or the bus is at social distancing capacity. This is under the premise that the induvidual is safer on the bus than on the street. Would such a thing not apply to Dublin Bus or indeed Bus Eireann.

Does the following or something similar apply here for bus drivers?

As said there are internal policies . Not public.

UK bus services policies have zero relevance here since Ireland became a republic.

Dublin bus is public transport. Not dedicated school transport. First come first served. Bunches of teens at a bus stop are not vulnerable individuals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Tickityboo

Are bus operators allowed to leave school children stranded as children would possibly be classed as vulnerable induviduals.

In non covid times when buses are carrying full capacity school kids are frequently left behind when buses are full and they just have to wait and hope they can get on the next one just like now.

Tickityboo wrote: »
    In non covid times when buses are carrying full capacity school kids are frequently left behind when buses are full and they just have to wait and hope they can get on the next one just like now.

That's because the buses would exceed the plated legal limits. The covid limits are merely guidelines not legally bounding.

That's because the buses would exceed the plated legal limits. The covid limits are merely guidelines not legally bounding.

They are instructions from the government and other relevant agencies and have to be followed by the company's instructed to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Dexpat

I think the new limits are being widely ignored. I was on the 17a this morning and all available seats were used upstairs and downstairs I had to squeeze past loads of people standing. It's not operated by DB anymore but the Dublin buses I saw seemed to be way above 25% too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Dexpat wrote: »
    I think the new limits are being widely ignored. I was on the 17a this morning and all available seats were used upstairs and downstairs I had to squeeze past loads of people standing. It's not operated by DB anymore but the Dublin buses I saw seemed to be way above 25% too.

Overheard the driver on one of my buses this morning tell someone there'll be a bit of leeway today and tomorrow, but from Monday it's 10 strictly (was on a single decker)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Or maybe don't bother with discussions and just let on more than 17 anyway just like that gym that is remaining open despite the restrictions.

That's a total gimmick to get his business heard....

He will look the hero and shut the door the second the cops arrive as he will be slapped with fines too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 The Ginger

No doubt many here will be delighted to know C19 is currently popping up in donnybrook depot, inspector and drivers are getting it, i imagine it will only increase from here on out, most likely the same in the other depots, could have a disastrous effect on public transport considering Nphet wanted to cancel all public transport, they might yet get their way.

Overheard the driver on one of my buses this morning tell someone there'll be a bit of leeway today and tomorrow, but from Monday it's 10 strictly (was on a single decker)

Schools off for midterm next week so will probably be less of an issue

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

From the unions with no people permitted to stand.

Model Max capacity
    VT 23
    AX/EV 19
    GT (1-70) 18
    GT (71-100) 17
    SG 17
    AH 16
    VH 16

From the unions with no people permitted to stand.

Model Max capacity
    VT 23
    AX/EV 19
    GT (1-70) 18
    GT (71-100) 17
    SG 17
    AH 16
    VH 16

Not really 25% of the buses actual capacity is it 37 wasn't 50% either. It's not the union place to make such a call either in my opinion. 17 is not even 20% of 90 let alone 25%.

If the unions were so concerned about driver safety then they should be calling for rear door boarding on dual door buses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭StreetLight

It's not the union place to make such a call either in my opinion.

The unions are not making any such call. They are simply relaying the information given from management.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,669 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Nice if NBRU did something useful and call for 50% capacity to be immediatly restored instead of writing to CIE asking them for extra services.

Pointless press release issued to meida outlets this afternoon...

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Nice if NBRU did something useful and call for 50% capacity to be immediatly restored instead of writing to CIE asking them for extra services.

Pointless press release issued to meida outlets this afternoon...

I agree. 50% was fine. I thought the whole purpose of making masks mandatory was to allow more people travel. Back when buses were limted to 17 passengers masks weren't mandatory. Maybe they should lift this now they're back to 17 passengers per bus or continue with 50%.

I think people should lobby TDs and the NTA to restore the service back to 50%.

What should have been done is if you don't have a card which is registered then you don't travel...

I have to give my details in canteen and was having to at other places when they were open.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

The Ginger wrote: »
    No doubt many here will be delighted to know C19 is currently popping up in donnybrook depot, inspector and drivers are getting it, i imagine it will only increase from here on out, most likely the same in the other depots, could have a disastrous effect on public transport considering Nphet wanted to cancel all public transport, they might yet get their way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOgFZfRVaww

Imagination aside,life is going on,with somewhat more people now prepared to take a degree of calculated risk and attempt to resume a form of approximately normal life.

Dublin's c.22,000 cases and upward trajectory,means that Corona is not going to disappear anytime soon,but neither is it going to lay waste to the entire population overnight.

https://covid19ireland-geohive.hub.arcgis.com/pages/detailed-county-statistics

Looking at the timeline,it's difficult not to draw a correlation between Re-Opening of Schools and a significant rise in cases.
    Personally,I believe the asymptomatic nature of childhood infection is leading to the spike in adult infections,whose mortality rates however, remain low in comparison with the numbers in late March.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

X bus this morning was fine with just the usual cadre of fellow commuters, albeit slightly less of them than last few months. Regular route home this afternoon was a mess, with people standing, people sitting in the (newly) blocked off seats and arguing over having the windows open despite the signs saying they should be. Not much use having these rules if nobody enforces them, not blaming driver either by the way.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The gym that was grandstanding to get free PR and then closed anyway, you mean?

L1011 wrote: »
    The gym that was grandstanding to get free PR and then closed anyway, you mean?

Cant believe they fell for it and then he gets more of a headline saying he changed his mind because he got a visit from the filth..... What utter idiot of and editor let that run... Publicity stunt.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Lifelike

I agree. 50% was fine. I thought the whole purpose of making masks mandatory was to allow more people travel. Back when buses were limted to 17 passengers masks weren't mandatory. Maybe they should lift this now they're back to 17 passengers per bus or continue with 50%.

I think people should lobby TDs and the NTA to restore the service back to 50%.

100% agree with the above. The bus driver on my bus this morning didn’t even enforce the 25% rule as doing so would have meant that many people would have been left behind. From talking to others the anecdotal evidence seems to be that this happened all across Dublin, reinforcing the fact that limiting the buses to 25% capacity during this lockdown is every bit as unworkable as many of us on this thread have predicted.

It really is regrettable to see public transport users being cr@pped on like this, particularly given the fact that the Green Party is in government and the government's pre-COVID policies to encourage people to use public transport.

Lifelike wrote: »
    100% agree with the above. The bus driver on my bus this morning didn’t even enforce the 25% rule as doing so would have meant that many people would have been left behind. From talking to others the anecdotal evidence seems to be that this happened all across Dublin, reinforcing the fact that limiting the buses to 25% capacity during this lockdown is every bit as unworkable as many of us on this thread have predicted.

It really is regrettable to see public transport users being cr@pped on like this, particularly given the fact that the Green Party is in government and the government's pre-COVID policies to encourage people to use public transport.

Good on that bus driver for using his/her common sense. I hope some busy body arsehole dosen't report them. They have been treating public transport users particularly bus users like dirt aswell with these new cycle lanes taking up half the road like the one in Dundrum.

I think a lot of bus drivers know the score with this covid nonsense tbh saw have seen a good giving each other high fives and knuckle touches at the terminus or when changing drivers like I do with my own work colleagues few wear masks aswell.

Good on that bus driver for using his/her common sense. I hope some busy body arsehole dosen't report them. They have been treating public transport users particularly bus users like dirt aswell with these new cycle lanes taking up half the road like the one in Dundrum.

I think a lot of bus drivers know the score with this covid nonsense tbh saw have seen a good giving each other high fives and knuckle touches at the terminus or when changing drivers like I do with my own work colleagues few wear masks aswell.

That's amazing in my many years working in Dublin Bus since the(90s) I've never witnessed any bus drivers high five each other on hand over or any other time and especially not in the last six months.

With regards to loadings I found it very quiet today e.g. on my 17.30 departure from the north side I picked up 13 passengers by the time I arrived on the south side normally you could quadruple that.

There will only be problems at peak times but I'm sure Dublin Bus will add in some extra departures if they have buses and drivers to spare.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭IE 222

Seen as school transport is unaffected by the new measures would it be possible to run some school only buses with 50-60% capacity. Most routes should be albe to dedicate one or two departures in the morning and afternoon for this.

IE 222 wrote: »
    Seen as school transport is unaffected by the new measures would it be possible to run some school only buses with 50-60% capacity. Most routes should be albe to dedicate one or two departures in the morning and afternoon for this.

Good idea but there could be an issue around not having any seat belts as all school buses must have seatbelts.

Tickityboo wrote: »
    Good idea but there could be an issue around not having any seat belts as all school buses must have seatbelts.

Which to be fair is pure nuts when a full school or class can go out, wait for a bus in service and get on.

• Advertisement

Which to be fair is pure nuts when a full school or class can go out, wait for a bus in service and get on.

Yep totally agree

Advertisement