Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HKC VS Siemens App Discussion Stickey Temp

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

PMed you that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Okay, I'm going to ask a very naive question here...

Can I use the HKC app to tap into my CCTV footage, either live, or playback?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I know they were working on it, but I think its for IP cameras specific to their systems.
    Is that what you mean or have you a separate CCTV recorder?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

KoolKid wrote: »
    I know they were working on it, but I think its for IP cameras specific to their systems.
    Is that what you mean or have you a separate CCTV recorder?

Ah, I don't have a system yet, getting quotes (just started a thread :)). I was planning on getting a separate CCTV system...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

r3nu4l wrote:
    Can I use the HKC app to tap into my CCTV footage, either live, or playback?

I've a few systems running on my phone. All separate apps it does not make much difference tbh I find that you have to put codes in per system anyway on some and not on others. I've Siemens and HKC, and three camera apps.
    I dont really see the point of having them on the same app, it's handy but the most powerful cctv app I have just shows me cameras no alarms.
    Its a nice to have but by no means would I sacrifice a feature or choose hardware based on it.

Handy thing is that on the android TV box I can run a camera app and flick the tv over to view it.

Not the same as a HD connection but it works.

You could take an alarm output from your security system into your cctv system so that the cctv app would notify of alarm events.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭tippgaafan

SPC Panel Installed:
    Scheduled power interruption to house yesterday due to ESB works. I was at work and received an email from SPC connect indicating "Mains Fault".

Initially confused as to how the panel could have emailed me as the router would have been powered down.

Is this due to polling and that the email comes from the portal as opposed to the panel itself ?

Impressive response time..

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Omarscoming

I received a quote for a HKC alarm system but don't know if I should choose the app or gsm dialler. I have query about the app. What happens when your alarm is activated but you cannot access the app? One alarm installer said a weak phone signal wont access the app and recommended GSM with a pay as you go sim.

The SPC Connect app will connect to the panel even with an edge signal.
    The SPC GSM can also be configured to connect to Spc Connect. This would give you a connection if your network was down. It could also send you alerts even if your phone didn't have a data connection. I have this done with a prepay sim for a lot less than their annual subscriptions. You can also get network poll fail notifications in under a minute as opposed to 8 hours later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

I received a quote for a HKC alarm system but don't know if I should choose the app or gsm dialler. I have query about the app. What happens when your alarm is activated but you cannot access the app? One alarm installer said a weak phone signal wont access the app and recommended GSM with a pay as you go sim.

You'll need an some sort of phone Internet no matter which system you have. HKC's GSM-SC is fantastic value.

How do you define value? :confused:
    Siemens via IP with GSM back-up sim costs under €20 per year polling notifications within a minute if you want. No annual charges no charges for apps.Smash & Grab alerts. Plus access to panel from any web browser should your phone be out of data coverage.
    GSD with the same set up with GSM back-up sim costs under €20 per year polling notifications within 5 minutes if you want.Smash & grab alerts. No annual charges no charges for apps.
    HKC with the same set up . €60 per year polling notifications 8 hours. €7.99 for every app you download. or €7 per month for notifications of poll fail after 90 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 ckinane

Hi All,

With the HKC App and connected via my broadband.
    Do I also need an register installer to set me up to the HKC securecomm cloud or can I do that myself with HKC.

Thanks
    Cathal.

If you have engineer access I think you can set it up yourself.

Thanks Koolkid,

I will see if I can as I do have Engineer access to my Alarm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭altor

ckinane wrote: »
    Hi All,

With the HKC App and connected via my broadband.
    Do I also need an register installer to set me up to the HKC securecomm cloud or can I do that myself with HKC.

Thanks
    Cathal.

If you have engineer access you can set it up yourself.

• Advertisement

Thanks Altor,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭altor

ckinane wrote: »
    Thanks Altor,

No problem ckinane

• Registered Users Posts: 9 loublue82

Hi all,

I have a HKC home security system that operated with a prepay SIM and worked very well for us until the SIM was cancelled by the mobile provider because it wasn't topped up within 6 months (my bad). Instead of replacing the SIM, we were encouraged to move to the HKC app and managed SIM.
    Only drawback is the service agreement, which will cost 140 per year!
    Can anyone tell me why this is so expensive? Surely the running costs of keeping a SIM card topped up and providing the server for the communications don't warrant this kind of fee.
    I am keen to go back to the old prepay method as this would cost us about 50 or less per year keeping the SIM topped up. Is having a mobile app to control the arm/disarm functions remotely REALLY that useful?? Interested to hear from users of this app about their experience with it and what it is costing them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Evolution1

Who are you paying €140 ? ? ?

I have the app. It's very handy. You get voice alerts of any events you wish to know about.

If someone returns home and unsets the system you'll get a push notification and voice Alert to your phone saying " system unset ". There's videos on YouTube

€140 for an app & notifications?:eek::eek:
    You are being way over charged! Which HKC system do you have. If its the older Securewatch I'd recommend upgrading your panel to another manufacturer . Most now offer free apps with remote access and free alerts.
    At €140 a year you would soon have a new system paid for.

• Advertisement

€140 for an app & notifications?:eek::eek:
    You are being way over charged! Which HKC system do you have. If its the older Securewatch I'd recommend upgrading your panel to another manufacturer . Most now offer free apps with remote access and free alerts.
    At €140 a year you would soon have a new system paid for.

Hi Koolkid.
    The panel states, "complies with EN 50131 Grade 2 class II" and it's less than 2 years old. I don't feel that we need an upgrade at this point, but I am not convinced that the app + maintenance fee is the way to go - especially at the rate the security company who installed it are charging. :(

Evolution1 wrote: »
    Who are you paying €140 ? ? ?

I have the app. It's very handy. You get voice alerts of any events you wish to know about.

If someone returns home and unsets the system you'll get a push notification and voice Alert to your phone saying " system unset ". There's videos on YouTube

Hi Evolution1,
    The security company who installed the system around 18months ago convinced my husband to upgrade to this app system and he paid them €150 fee for the system upgrade, plus €150* annual charge. If I was home I would have put a halt to it but they caught him on the hop. It's crazy money for what it is, particularly when our GMS text system was working fine in the first place.
    *I checked the invoice and it's €150 for the annual fee, not €140 as originally stated. Gulp.

Something is not right there.
    I understand it's a new system, but do the maths.
    Hopefully you would get about 15 years out of the system. At €150 per year that's €2250. (that's not even taking increases into consideration, and there's bound to be some)
    Spend your money on almost any other brand and you will have free self monitoring with alerts, free apps and free remote access to the system for the life of the system.
    I think you have been sold something.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

loublue82 wrote: »
    140 for an app & notifications?:eek::eek:
    At 140 a year you would soon have a new system paid for.

Hi Koolkid.
    The panel states, "complies with EN 50131 Grade 2 class II" and it's less than 2 years old. I don't feel that we need an upgrade at this point, but I am not convinced that the app + maintenance fee is the way to go - especially at the rate the security company who installed it are charging. :(

Have same system if you have engineer access..and a bit of knowledge.. can you set it up yourself? Why not just put in replacement sim in at end of current contract?

You could do that for text notifications but not the app.

Thks is the app basically just the same as looking at the log on RKP ..except you get the Info "live" with app....e.g. when someone comes in/out ....yr notified?

It's a bit more detailed. You get notifications of various events and you have full control of the system.
    I don't understand why people are paying these charges. Most other makes of system offer these services for free.

Something is not right there.
    I understand it's a new system, but do the maths.
    Hopefully you would get about 15 years out of the system. At 150 per year that's 2250. (that's not even taking increases into consideration, and there's bound to be some)
    Spend your money on almost any other brand and you will have free self monitoring with alerts, free apps and free remote access to the system for the life of the system.
    I think you have been sold something.....
    You are so right Koolkid. When you put it like that, considering the longterm costs, it's shocking.
    I have spoken to the Security company this morning and I've insisted that they revert the system to it's pre-app, text-only configuration and refund us our money. I am taking no crap.
    What an unholy rip off.
    They'll take care of this either today or Monday.
    To summarise, the Security company charged 150 to upgrade the software and callout fee, 150 annual service fee, and they had my husband sign a service agreement for 2 years. The app costs 8.99 in the app store, which just added insult to injury...
    It's still unclear whether the service fee comes from HKC themselves or from the security company, or a combination of both. I could grill them about that, but I'm just glad to be getting rid of this lemon.

All this for an unessential piece of kit that I didn't even ask for. They got my husband good, I'll give them that! :D

It's a bit more detailed. You get notifications of various events and you have full control of the system.
    I don't understand why people are paying these charges. Most other makes of system offer these services for free.

Thks

140 for an app & notifications?:eek::eek:
    At 140 a year you would soon have a new system paid for.

Hi Koolkid.

Have same system if you have engineer access..and a bit of knowledge.. can you set it up yourself? Why not just put in replacement sim in at end of current contract?
    Hi 2012paddy2012,

I would love if had engineer access, but I am a lowly homeowner with no knowledge of these systems. If I could have bought a replacement SIM and made the swap myself without calling these guys out, I would have done that in a heartbeat.
    I read in a different thread that you can't share the engineer codes on Boards, and I understand why that is. They'd be damn handy though if any issues cropped up again!

• Advertisement

You are so right Koolkid. When you put it like that, considering the longterm costs, it's shocking.
    I have spoken to the Security company this morning and I've insisted that they revert the system to it's pre-app, text-only configuration and refund us our money. I am taking no crap.
    What an unholy rip off.
    To summarise, the Security company charged 150 to upgrade the software and callout fee, 150 annual service fee, and they had my husband sign a service agreement for 2 years. The app costs 8.99 in the app store, which just added insult to injury...
    It's still unclear whether the service fee comes from HKC themselves or from the security company, or a combination of both. I could grill them about that, but I'm just glad to be getting rid of this lemon.

All this for an unessential piece of kit that I didn't even ask for. They got my husband good, I'll give them that! :D

So you didn't even get any new equipment????
    The app charge is ott also IMO.
    AFAIK no other manufacturers charge for the apps..
    The annual charges go to HKC, but I don't think the €150 is correct there either.

What an unholy rip off.

So you didn't even get any new equipment????
    The app charge is ott also IMO.
    AFAIK no other manufacturers charge for the apps..
    The annual charges go to HKC, but I don't think the 150 is correct there either.
    No new equipment. Just a system upgrade and an instruction to download and pay for the app (correction, 7.99) and input our account details to start using it.
    If I understood correctly from other threads, most people pay 60 annual fee to HKC, so 150 is extortionate in comparison.

Even the €60 fee is too much in my professional opinion. Other systems have free apps with free usage along with other features like quick network fail notifications.

Even the 60 fee is too much in my professional opinion. Other systems have free apps with free usage along with other features like quick network fail notifications.
    I fully agree. Thanks for the conversation about this - it's been very helpful.

Your welcome. Unfortunately some companies prey on peoples lack of knowledge.
    I'll bet most selling these HKC packages don't even offer or inform customers of the free alternatives.

You're paying €150 per year which includes the sim charges and a service agreement? That sounds like very good value to me.

I'm paying 10 euro a year for the necessary notifications ..e.g. alarm event ... initially ..2 and event e.g. passing by a PIR...you know it's genuine.
    02 sim card...two top ups ..5 e a time.
    150 is dear if that's all you need for example.
    Independent sim diallers not that dear and once off expense.
    Depends what you want I suppose...think op was ripped off ,myself.

I'm paying 10 euro a year for the necessary notifications ..e.g. alarm event ... initially ..2 and event e.g. passing by a PIR...you know it's genuine.
    02 sim card...two top ups ..5 e a time.
    150 is dear if that's all you need for example.
    Independent sim diallers not that dear and once off expense.
    Depends what you want I suppose...think op was ripped off ,myself.

How is it a rip off? If I'm reading it correctly, the op chose to include a service agreement for that price. That's very good value. As a supplier of these services myself, €150 for the hkc sim and contract is very good value considering a service call out charge can range from anything from €70 to €180.

Some installers in here offer similar services for far greater cost but will still jump at the chance to get a dig in when HKC are mentioned.

Your welcome. Unfortunately some companies prey on peoples lack of knowledge.
    I'll bet most selling these HKC packages don't even offer or inform customers of the free alternatives.

Some of those free alternatives aren't very reliable in fairness. Plenty of call backs I'm hearing.

• Advertisement

No new equipment. Just a system upgrade and an instruction to download and pay for the app (correction, 7.99) and input our account details to start using it.
    If I understood correctly from other threads, most people pay 60 annual fee to HKC, so 150 is extortionate in comparison.

You would have gotten a New GSM communicator in order to have the app.

The companies offering free apps and notifications are only going to be free when you connect them to your homes wifi. If your wifi goes down that's your notifications gone. The rumours of price increases can be applied to any system. There's nothing stopping any company from adding a charge.

The €60 covers the top-up of the HKC GSM SIM card which is constantly using data and the maintenance of the servers. You're real paying for a service which entitles you to complain should you have issues. You've no right to complain when using a free service. The HKC system will still Alert you to all system events in the event of a power fail unlike the free systems which will only do this when you pay a yearly fee for a GSM unit. You will pay around €60 per year possibly more to use other "FREE" systems when using a GSM unit to be alerted by text and push notification.

I don't agree with the app charge.

You would have gotten a New GSM communicator in order to have the app.

The companies offering free apps and notifications are only going to be free when you connect them to your homes wifi. If your wifi goes down that's your notifications gone. The rumours of price increases can be applied to any system. There's nothing stopping any company from adding a charge.

The €60 covers the top-up of the HKC GSM SIM card which is constantly using data and the maintenance of the servers. Your' real paying for a service which entitles you to complain should you have issues. You've no right to complain when using a free service. The HKC system will still Alert you to all system events in the event of a power fail unlike the free systems which will only do this when you pay a yearly fee for a GSM unit. You will pay around €60 per year possibly more to use other "FREE" systems when using a GSM unit to be alerted by text and push notification.

I don't agree with the app charge.

Agreed re the app charge but for the GSM SC it's decent value as it covers all the data costs and eliminates the risk of the end user forgetting to top up the credit.

Agreed re the app charge but for the GSM SC it's decent value as it covers all the data costs and eliminates the risk of the end user forgetting to top up the credit.

Completely agree. Suppose you get what you pay for.

The companies offering free apps and notifications are only going to be free when you connect them to your homes wifi. If your wifi goes down that's your notifications gone.
    I think you need to do your research here on a couple of points. All panels can have multiple comms paths back ups. Siemens doesn't even use WiFi. Notifications are not gone once broadband goes down. GSD will notify you in 5 minutes of a network fail, Siemens /Vanderbilt can be set up for notifications within 30 seconds if you want. I believe HKC poll fail is eight hours, is that still the case. Siemens /Vanderbilt and GSD give smash and grab alerts in the event of total system destruction. These alerts come from the servers not the panel so the connection becomes less relevant.

There's nothing stopping any company from adding a charge.
    Actually there is. Siemens /Vanderbilt give users direct connection options to the built in web server. That's can't be taken away. HKC for some reason block that feature, I wonder why??
    €60 covers the top-up of the HKC GSM SIM card which is constantly using data and the maintenance of the servers.
    All system are constantly using data and bandwidth. All companies servers require maintenance.

' The HKC system will still Alert you to all system events in the event of a power fail unlike the free systems which will only do this when you pay a yearly fee for a GSM unit.
    Not true either. I get regular notifications of power fails and network fails on both GSD system and Siemens Vanderbilt. There is no requirement to pay a yearly fee to use a GSM unit.
    You will pay around €60 per year possibly more to use other "FREE" systems when using a GSM unit to be alerted by text and push notification.

Again not true. You really need to do your research on Sim card charges, services and options.

Oh so GSM units are free to use ?? Really ?

Siemens doesn't require a broadband connection to use the service when not using a GSM ?? Explain please

Yes your notifications are gone if you're relying on your home broadband ONLY for alerts. It will tell you the network has gone down but you'll get no notifications after that. What good is that ?

I have done my research. You're telling people they can have this and that free without telling them it's all useless without a second comms path mainly a GSM unit which requires a yearly fee whether it be a top up or a service. So the system isn't FREE

At the end of the day.
    A system only using broadband is useless when power goes. You get your poll fail Alert but no events after that.

If a system is using a GSM unit then it is NOT FREE !

If you recommend that people use multiple comms paths EG a GSM and WIFi/LAN card then the system is NOT free. GSMs don't top themselves up

How is it a rip off? If I'm reading it correctly, the op chose to include a service agreement for that price. That's very good value. As a supplier of these services myself, €150 for the hkc sim and contract is very good value considering a service call out charge can range from anything from €70 to €180.

Some installers in here offer similar services for far greater cost but will still jump at the chance to get a dig in when HKC are mentioned.

;);)

• Advertisement

Oh so GSM units are free to use ?? Really ?

Siemens doesn't require a broadband connection to use the service when not using a GSM ?? Explain please

Yes your notifications are gone if you're relying on your home broadband ONLY for alerts. It will tell you the network has gone down but you'll get no notifications after that. What good is that ?

I have done my research. You're telling people they can have this and that free without telling them it's all useless without a second comms path mainly a GSM unit which requires a yearly fee whether it be a top up or a service. So the system isn't FREE

At the end of the day.
    A system only using broadband is useless when power goes. You get your poll fail Alert but no events after that.

If a system is using a GSM unit then it is NOT FREE !

If you recommend that people use multiple comms paths EG a GSM and WIFi/LAN card then the system is NOT free. GSMs don't top themselves up

Please quote me correctly if you are going to..
    You said a GSM requires annual fees. They do not...
    They can be topped up when they run low on credit. As GSM is only a backup this is not going to cost much.
    Mine has used less than €10 in the last year, another user here has said the same.
    You said Siemens/Vanderbilt rely on WiFi. They don't use WiFi, they do use broadband.
    I though you were well up on all these systems. If so you already know there are plenty of other paths Siemens /Vanderbilt can use as well as GSM. Again do some research please.
    So on my free systems you could have GSM back up for as little as €10 per annum. You can have land line as another back up for free and there are multiple other options available also as these panels give access to the web server to use as you wish. Not to mention the fast response to poll failure. I noticed you never mentioned that compared to HKCs 8 hours.

Please quote me correctly if you are going to..
    You said a GSM requires annual fees. They do not...
    They can be topped up when they run low on credit. As GSM is only a backup this is not going to cost much.
    Mine has used less than €10 in the last year, another user here has said the same.
    You said Siemens/Vanderbilt rely on WiFi. They don't use WiFi, they do use broadband.
    I though you were well up on all these systems. If so you already know there are plenty of other paths Siemens /Vanderbilt can use as well as GSM. Again do some research please.
    So on my free systems you could have GSM back up for as little as €10 per annum. You can have land line as another back up for free and there are multiple other options available also as these panels give access to the web server to use as you wish. Not to mention the fast response to poll failure. I noticed you never mentioned that compared to HKCs 8 hours.

If you've to top up the GSM unit every year then that is a yearly fee.. So it's not free. They have to be topped up at least once a year or they'll be deactivated. ( ones available to end users looking after the systems themselves anyway ).

I never mentioned "Siemens" I mentioned "free systems" .
    Wifi as in home broadband. Not too many would pick up LAN as local area network and associate it with broadband.

LAN will also be useless in the event of power loss so your Siemens system will require another paid for path.

Sorry but your landline will be useless if your broadband is gone.. They use the same cable.

I've mentioned that you will get a poll fail on all these systems. Yes correct HKCs basic poll fail is 8 hours . Also this only affects the GSM sc. so if your using wifi this won't matter. Mine is much much lower than 8 hours.

If you've to top up the GSM unit every year then that is a yearly fee.. So it's not free.
    And if its only topped up when you need it its not a years fee. I never said GSM was free. I said it does not require a yearly fee.
    They have to be topped up at least once a year or they'll be deactivated.
    Again false.
    I posted a pic previously of my SIM account.I know you seen it so I'm not going looking for it at this hour of the night.
    I never mentioned "Siemens" I mentioned "free systems" .
    Wifi as in home broadband. Not too many would pick up LAN as local area network and associate it with broadband.
    Your statement was still false. If WiFi goes down it does not affect the systems I was referring to.
    LAN will also be useless in the event of power loss so your Siemens system will require another paid for path.
    Not if the router is backed up & we have already covered other paths which might not require extra subscriptions.
    (Lets not get into the silly free/not free debate. We know you will end up at the electric has to be paid for so its not free or something similar)
    Sorry but your landline will be useless if your broadband is gone.. They use the same cable.
    Landlines use the same cable as broadband?
    There are lots of exceptions to this.You really do need to do a lot of research before making such crazy statements.

What do you mean by "We" ? Who do you think you are speaking on behalf of ?

Yes a lot of landline phones use the same cable as broadband. Have you done any research ? It's very rare for a homeowner to have seperate lines.
    Examples
    Sky Broadband.
    Eircom.
    UPC.
    Vodafone.
    WiMAX ( although fed from a dish it's still the same cable ).

Sorry I wasn't aware that you backup all your installations as standard. Which brand of UPS do you prefer ?

Going by the responses and PMs I get here every day and that we are installing GSD and Siemens /Vanderbilt systems most days I'd say I'm speaking for a lot of people.
    Also going by the fact that every day I am pricing people for these systems who are telling me their previous installers won't install for them unless they sign up for annual subscriptions.

All the way through this thread you are making false statements and them coming back wilth silly excuses.
    Now you want me to justify your mistakes with examples from my own installations???

• Advertisement
Advertisement