Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Joker movie - starring Joaquin Phoenix (MOD: May contain Spoilers)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Philips said he couldn't please everyone with this film in his speech. Wise and calm words amidst all the backlash. I don't think awards vindicate a film but when the likes of Mary Harton, juror and director of American Psycho, is effusive in her praise of the film, it makes the outraged takes a little bit more short of room.

Amazing achievement from Philips, Phoenix and DC/WB.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Philips said he couldn't please everyone with this film in his speech. Wise and calm words amidst all the backlash. I don't think awards vindicate a film but when the likes of Mary Harton, juror and director of American Psycho, is effusive in her praise of the film, it makes the outraged takes a little bit more short of room.

Amazing achievement from Philips, Phoenix and DC/WB.

Im wondering will this end up a critically acclaimed movie that maybe won’t clean up at the box office. Good/great movies don’t necessarily make good money.

Logan had established much loved characters to draw in fans. This might aswell be the first time we have seen the joker and Philips is ready for a backlash (presumably from fans) which means there could very well be a negative response to it.

As I said, I’m expecting a kind of a slog fest of a movie that’s hard to watch, but equally enthralling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

Drumpot wrote: »
    Im wondering will this end up a critically acclaimed movie that maybe won’t clean up at the box office. Good/great movies don’t necessarily make good money.

Logan had established much loved characters to draw in fans. This might aswell be the first time we have seen the joker and Philips is ready for a backlash (presumably from fans) which means there could very well be a negative response to it.

As I said, I’m expecting a kind of a slog fest of a movie that’s hard to watch, but equally enthralling.

Yep, this more strikes me as a Paul Thomas Anderson film but at same time I suspect it'll make a decent profit. If it does then we could be set for a series of potential very interesting low budget films around DC characters.

Drumpot wrote: »

The projections are meant to be looking good for its opening at the very least. Plus the fact it's the Joker, a pop culture phenomenon in the US and elsewhere, makes me think it's going to get good returns (I suspect this is why SS did better than it deserved to). Winning the GL should expand its appeal as well amongst people that otherwise wouldn't be interested.

Nothing that will break records in the BO but I'd expect it to get good returns for WB.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Trailer looks fantastic. Really looking forward to this. I wonder could a machine be invented that could erase any trace of that abomination of a Joker in SS. I was actually blushing watching it. So bad.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Winning the GL should expand its appeal as well amongst people that otherwise wouldn't be interested.

While it’s a boost to the film’s credibility, I’d say the impact of a Golden Lion win on a mid-budget comic book adaptation’s box office prospects is minimal to say the least - a few curious cinephiles are probably all you’re looking at! It’s not like a Venice win propelled A Pigeon Sat On A Branch Reflecting On Existence to box office glory ;)

While it’s a boost to the film’s credibility, I’d say the impact of a Golden Lion win on a mid-budget comic book adaptation’s box office prospects is minimal to say the least - a few curious cinephiles are probably all you’re looking at! It’s not like a Venice win propelled A Pigeon Sat On A Branch Reflecting On Existence to box office glory ;)

No but it WILL probably stifle some of the negative reviews you get from the wannabe highbrow critics.

We'll see... I feel like it's a perfect storm really. I never heard of the film you mentioned but then that film doesn't have a core fan base as its foundation and also cinephiles as you call them to help the word of mouth.

That's why I think it's disingenuous to claim this accolade doesn't mean much. It's unprecedented.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

I watched OUATIH yesterday and DiCaprio was just marvelous in it. It will be an interesting battle for awards between him and Phoenix.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

That's why I think it's disingenuous to claim this accolade doesn't mean much. It's unprecedented.

It’s a significant and surprising win for sure, if not necessarily unprecedented (The Shape of Water, another mid-budget Hollywood effort, won two years ago). Absolutely noteworthy that a comic book film won an award that traditionally goes to the latest works from world cinema auteurs, especially given Todd Philips’ less than stellar record. As said, it’s a boost in credibility I’m sure all involved will be deservedly delighted with.

But I’d just be hesitant marrying it with much box office significance - this was set to be at least a hit regardless of awards or reviews, and prestige film festival awards like the Palme D’Or and Golden Lion aren’t typically the kind of things that have much resonance outside the art house circuit. Hell, even as someone who is big into world cinema the GL is typically a passing curiosity more than anything. Don’t think it’s suddenly going to change just because Joker won it :)

Also, don’t underestimate that there’s some keen Roy Andersson fans out there :p

• Advertisement

Not surprised because of the amount of hysteria that was getting drummed up on twitter, but it looks like the film may take a kicking amongst American critics based on the latest reviews being added. Still, plenty of praise in there to counter it. Ultimately though it looks like it's going to be yet another divisive effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭PressRun

Reviews I'm reading seem to suggest a strong performance from Joaquin Phoenix, but little clarity on what exactly the film is trying to say about the Joker as a character or the society he's living in.

PressRun wrote: »
    Reviews I'm reading seem to suggest a strong performance from Joaquin Phoenix, but little clarity on what exactly the film is trying to say about the Joker as a character or the society he's living in.

Yes that's also what I'm seeing, that or accusing the film of hollow self importance.

It's going to be a long month. It's a shame that the film went to the Toronto Film Festival really. Venice was enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭PressRun

Yes that's also what I'm seeing, that or accusing the film of hollow self importance.

It's going to be a long month. It's a shame that the film went to the Toronto Film Festival really. Venice was enough.

I mean, it might be valid criticism. I haven't seen it so can't comment. It was always going to be a divisive premise and a hard one to get right, tonally, given the lack of background on the Joker and the fact that he was deliberately written to have unclear motivations in the past.

I am still curious to see it myself though. I'm interested in all of Phoenix's work.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭El Duda

King of Comedy is available to stream on Prime. Definitely one you need to see before Joker comes out imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

El Duda wrote: »
    King of Comedy is available to stream on Prime. Definitely one you need to see before Joker comes out imo.

Its a great film ,was decades ahead of its time and very relevant in the modern culture of reality tv and z list celebrities.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

Its a great film ,was decades ahead of its time and very relevant in the modern culture of reality tv and z list celebrities.

100 %

• Registered Users Posts: 8,301 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I just saw a TV spot for Joker on ITV HD tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Tracking to be well into profit territory after just the opening weekend:
    ‘Joker’ Is Wild On Tracking With $82M-$90M Projected Opening – Early Box Office Read
    https://deadline.com/2019/09/joker-box-office-opening-weekend-projections-1202732548/

Wikipedia - Joker (2019 film)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joker_(2019_film)
    The film's final budget was $55 million, considered by The Hollywood Reporter "a fraction" of the typical budget for a comic book-based film

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Shred

I see the IFI are doing 70mm shows exclusively, I haven't been in since the renovations so I think I'll be having a bit of that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85,024 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Slydice wrote: »
    Tracking to be well into profit territory after just the opening weekend:
    ‘Joker’ Is Wild On Tracking With $82M-$90M Projected Opening – Early Box Office Read
    https://deadline.com/2019/09/joker-box-office-opening-weekend-projections-1202732548/

Wikipedia - Joker (2019 film)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joker_(2019_film)

Is Joaquin and Todd also producers?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,301 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

IMAX Poster

Joker-Official-Images-Imax-Poster-01.jpg?quality=80&strip=info&ssl=1

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Is Joaquin and Todd also producers?

Only seeing Todd on IMDB:
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7286456/fullcredits/
    Richard Baratta ... executive producer
    Bruce Berman ... executive producer
    Jason Cloth ... executive producer
    Bradley Cooper ... producer
    Joseph Garner ... executive producer
    Aaron L. Gilbert ... executive producer
    Walter Hamada ... executive producer
    Todd Phillips ... producer
    Emma Tillinger Koskoff ... producer
    Michael E. Uslan ... executive producer
    David Webb ... co-producer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭correction

If you took the big IMAX writing off that poster it has wall potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Shred

It just makes me wish we had a true IMAX screen here :(

70mm tickets are now on sale in the IFI btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,682 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Can someone help educate a dullard?
    What would be the advantage of the 70mm screening? I don't know much (or anything) about the techie side of cinema

IFI wouldn't be that handy for us but I'd make the effort if it was worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭El Duda

70mm = actually projected on film = better image. Clearer. Brighter. Higher resolution.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,800 ✭✭✭take everything

Joaquin Phoenix is such an interesting actor.
    There's a real depth to the roles he plays.
    Can't wait to see this.

correction wrote: »
    If you took the big IMAX writing off that poster it has wall potential.

Someone on twitter did it!

https://twitter.com/CyberSheff/status/1174067223981412353

Full size:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=491143&stc=1&d=1568997340

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 200 ✭✭Uncle Charlie

Shred wrote: »
    It just makes me wish we had a true IMAX screen here :(

70mm tickets are now on sale in the IFI btw.

70mm makes no sense when the Joker was shot on digital.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7286456/technical?ref_=tt_dt_spec

Advertisement