Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Joker movie - starring Joaquin Phoenix (MOD: May contain Spoilers)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

claiva wrote: »
    I thought Man of Steel was a pretty decent movie, almost great, but not quite, more of the origin story stuff and less of the stupid CGI bashing into skyscrapers for 10 minutes duels would have made it great. It was soured by the dogsh1t that followed it though.
    Henry Cavill was perfect for it, but he was let down by the writing.

i agree to a point but Zach Snyder just can't do subtle . man of steel had a good superman , a good baddie but kevin costner as the dad was a weird take in that he didn't want him to save anybody including himself

batman v superman was good until superman realised that himself and batman have a mother with the same name and stopped punching :)

Justice league was just a mess , no story and poor special effects , a baddie with terrible dialogue

suicide squad was even worse

the joker , don't let me down

The review embargo is still up but the reviews from the Venice film festival are good , very good

https://twitter.com/rotovisor/status/1167726573153333249?s=21

Empire magazine give it 5 out of 5

https://www.empireonline.com/movies/reviews/joker/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,550 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Looks promising .

Dark and gritty say the reviews ,I'm all for that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

One review I read noted that the film doesn't quite thread the needle between making Arthur's plight relatable, but also repugnant as the man who becomes the Joker. Or that this Joker's too broken and real for it to contain a man in a bat costume. Should be a film that'll get keenly dissected by the sounds of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭kerplun k

peteeeed wrote: »
    Empire magazine give it 5 out of 5

https://www.empireonline.com/movies/reviews/joker/

Surprised reviews are out so early. Is there normally not an embargo on things like this, like a ban a few days before the actual release date. It’s out in October right?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,147 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

kerplun k wrote: »
    Surprised reviews are out so early. Is there normally not an embargo on things like this, like a ban a few days before the actual release date. It’s out in October right?

Not at film festivals, where films routinely premiere months before they’ll get a commercial release. Warner obviously hoping to win some cinephile cred by premiering it in Venice (and Toronto shortly). And by the sounds of it it’s a bit of a controversy-baiter in some respects so maybe hoping to generate a ‘discourse’ in advance.

That said, I’m in favour of embargoes after screenings if only to prevent people tweeting out ludicrous hyperbole like the below :pac:

https://twitter.com/firstshowing/status/1167721654656655362?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

but like.. since when should the Jokers plight be relatable?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Mr. Arkadin

I personally don't mind a little hyperbole from long-suffering DC fans.

I'd pretty much ignored this up until the reviews broke. Now I'm very excited, especially with this The King of Comedy talk, Scorsese's dark masterwork.

It'll also be great to draw a line under talk of Ledger being the definitive Joker. There's many different Jokers in the comics and none of them are definitive. The movies are the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭kerplun k

I personally don't mind a little hyperbole from long-suffering DC fans.

I'd pretty much ignored this up until the reviews broke. Now I'm very excited, especially with this The King of Comedy talk, Scorsese's dark masterwork.

It'll also be great to draw a line under talk of Ledger being the definitive Joker. There's many different Jokers in the comics and none of them are definitive. The movies are the same.

There’s hyperbole and then there’s that Tweet in johnnys last post. I mean... that’s just next level.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Mr. Arkadin

kerplun k wrote: »
    There’s hyperbole and then there’s that Tweet in johnnys last post. I mean... that’s just next level.

It's an attention grabbing tweet and guess what.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PressRun

I saw it described as "incel friendly", which I can't say appeals to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,163 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

PressRun wrote: »
    I saw it described as "incel friendly", which I can't say appeals to me.

I've also seen this criticism but thankfully they're few and far between. The film was always going to get grief from people with a bone to pick to be fair; that was clear from the trailers alone.

One review I read described Arthur as a deluded narcissist so it doesn't sound like he's been glorified at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

I think the incel friendly angle can be added to a lot of films at this stage and more often than not it's because of the bizarre interpretations that they can achieve. Think it's retrospectively with Dark Knight Joker and Taxi Driver could be looked back as such too.

I'm going to stop reading anything on the internet about the film cos it's just too ****ing weird

I'm just going to watch a film, enjoy it or not, and largely forget about it until it comes to recommendations

What the **** is this picking sides a bull****

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

batgoat wrote: »
    I think the incel friendly angle can be added to a lot of films at this stage and more often than not it's because of the bizarre interpretations that they can achieve. Think it's retrospectively with Dark Knight Joker and Taxi Driver could be looked back as such too.

Usually it says more about the people making the claim, than the film.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Ipso wrote: »

i can see it now for Rotten Tomatoes, critic reviews 55%, Audience score 92% :pac:

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Rotten Tomatoes has it at 88% from Critics at the moment:
    https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/joker_2019
    88%
    TOMATOMETER
    Total Count: 33

When is it out here?

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Caegan

When is it out here?

October 4th from what I can find.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,321 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

hear now, none of that yankee system
    It's 4th October

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PressRun

Ipso wrote: »

Does it? I've seen a couple more reviews that have touched on an element of moral incoherence in the film and that it could easily be viewed through a celebratory lens. There's definitely a preoccupation with violence and male rage in American film and society in general and even if one is trying satirize such issues, satire isn't easy to pull off, especially in film. It can be hard to show why a character is attracted to violence, for example, while also emphasising the nonsense behind those ideas. There is always a danger that if it is underplayed, that it won't be actually clear who or what the film is aimed at or what it's actually trying to say.
    I haven't seen the film so I can't say for sure if that's what's going on here, but there is always a danger of getting it wrong when trying to humanize the villain and filmmakers can get the balance wrong.

Edit: btw I'm not saying that films make people do bad things (not reasonable people anyway). Films, music, video games, etc are not violence and choosing to act on something you saw in a film is your own responsibility entirely. But America's borderline obsession with platforming the disaffected white guy is interesting.

I'm just really wondering if this is not just a Falling Down remake, from what I am hearing

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I'm just really wondering if this is not just a Falling Down remake, from what I am hearing

I would be ok with that . .

Its funny cause when you wrote that I was thinking "arent pretty much most movies these days a rehash of a story told already in some form" . .

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 5,163 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2019/sep/02/incel-violence-joker-rightwing-film-joaquin-phoenix

Good article and pretty much what I expected was the issue in some quarters; people are seeing things that aren't there, or at the very least wrongly applying a stance to the filmmakers.

McDermotX wrote: »

Is that
    Bruce Wayne, Martha Wayne and Thomas Wayne leaving a theatre
    at the short moment scene at 2:11?

Are they gonna do
    the Wayne murders
    in this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Jurgen The German

I am not nor have I ever been into superhero movies, the only one I've managed to sit through is Logan and I enjoyed that so if this is similarly dark / bloody then hooray. As an aside, I'd never heard the term incel before so had to Google it, what a strange world we live in.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,917 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Been out of the loop on superhero movies of late. Does this fit in with any timeline ?

GBX wrote: »
    Been out of the loop on superhero movies of late. Does this fit in with any timeline ?

Yep, the one where there's finally going to be a quality DC movie.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

GBX wrote: »

No, it's its own movie, and own timeline. Won't have any relationship or link with any previous DC movie.

Advertisement