Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Joker movie - starring Joaquin Phoenix (MOD: May contain Spoilers)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

Slydice wrote: »
    Don't bring the kids..

Joker Movie Rated R for ‘Disturbing Behavior’ and More
    https://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/1094341-joker-movie-rated-r-for-disturbing-behavior-and-more

Great news.
    The Joker backstory should be a psychologically dark,warped ,twisted affair. Not a Disney singalong.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

There's another trailer apparently due to drop tomorrow; going by precedent, I imagine this one will be more plot-centric than the first 'teaser'...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,137 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

There was a trailer for it prior to Once Upon A Time in Hollywood at the cinema on Monday night.

Would that have been the new trailer or old one?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

NIMAN wrote: »
    There was a trailer for it prior to Once Upon A Time in Hollywood at the cinema on Monday night.

Would that have been the new trailer or old one?

That was the old trailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Slightly more plot focused, but not giving too much away, here's the latest trailer:

edit: snap, beaten to it!

I gotta say, I'm really liking the looks of this. Grungy and dingy, though I do wonder how much sympathy you're mean to retain for someone as fundamentally "Chaotic Evil" as Joker. That's going to be the big question...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Joaquin going for the Oscar by the looks of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,701 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Is it just me, or does anybody else feel like they don't know a single thing about how this is going to go and absolutely love it?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Bring it on

Is it just me, or does anybody else feel like they don't know a single thing about how this is going to go and absolutely love it?

I've vague ideas where the film's going based on the two trailers, and some hints mentioned by Todd Phillips, but they generally feel like guesses. I had thought this trailer would be far more spoiler'y than it has turned out to be, which is a refreshing change for mainstream film.

Hmmm, wonder what odds you'd get for Phillips being handed the keys to the Batman franchise overall? If Joker is a hit - which at a $50 million budget there's a very good chance it WILL be 'cos that budget's comparatively minuscule - DC/WB could give him more toys to play with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

pixelburp wrote: »
    I've vague ideas where the film's going based on the two trailers, and some hints mentioned by Todd Phillips, but they generally feel like guesses. I had thought this trailer would be far more spoiler'y than it has turned out to be, which is a refreshing change for mainstream film.

Hmmm, wonder what odds you'd get for Phillips being handed the keys to the Batman franchise overall? If Joker is a hit - which at a $50 million budget there's a very good chance it WILL be 'cos that budget's comparatively minuscule - DC/WB could give him more toys to play with.

I’m thinking this could be a very dark movie like Logan. Not particularly funny or happy and quite miserable at times. As brilliant as that movie Logan is it’s a tough watch so I’m expecting an equally hard watch with joker but in a good way.

Drumpot wrote: »
    I’m thinking this could be a very dark movie like Logan. Not particularly funny or happy and quite miserable at times. As brilliant as that movie Logan is it’s a tough watch so I’m expecting an equally hard watch with joker but in a good way.

Fair point; Logan is the best movie I've ever watched that I know I'll never watch again* Though it did great business, a 97$ million budget raking in $620 million worldwide.

If I have a concern about the film, is that it's going to trivialise mental illness, and be one of those scripts that's unreasonably horrible to its lead character to prove a point, or get them to their final destination. It looks like they're riffing on The Killing Joke, where the Joker started life as a failed, sad-sack comedian.

[*] and one that confirmed I'm going to be a wet puddle when Patrick Stewart leaves us

I hope this is a beginning , middle and an end origin story for the joker , since Nolan left the helm DC has been a bit of a mess .nolan’s Batman was a very real world comic book movie , I hope this is close to that .....HOPE

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭kerplun k

That’s a fantastic shot at the end when he leans back in the chair.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Shred

Slightly more plot focused, but not giving too much away, here's the latest trailer:

edit: snap, beaten to it!

I gotta say, I'm really liking the looks of this. Grungy and dingy, though I do wonder how much sympathy you're mean to retain for someone as fundamentally "Chaotic Evil" as Joker. That's going to be the big question...

I recently got around to reading Empire’s feature that someone linked to a few posts back. Regarding sympathising with the character Phillips said specifically “we’re treating a guy who’s ultimately a villain, or supervillain, in comic-book terms, like a real person you love. We hope you’re on his side, until you can’t be on his side any longer”.

There’s some other interesting snippets such as:

Phillip’s is a comic book fan from childhood but wanted to ignore the usual approach and make a character study, not an action movie.

“We’re not even doing Joker, but the story of becoming Joker”.

He first pitched the idea for Joker to Warner execs at the ‘War Dogs’ after party. He proposed that this be the 1st of several ‘DC Black’ films to counter Marvel instead of trying to beat them at their own game; each film should have a budget of around $30, “without all the CGI hoopla” as he said. subsequent films were to be helmed by other “fúcking great film makers”. The ‘DC Black’ idea wasn’t taken on* but Joker was.
    It’s set in Gotham in ‘81 (because he didn’t want the internet or mobile phones to feature) where we’ll encounter “powerful businessman Thomas Wayne and his young son Bruce”.
    It was all shot on location in New York, without a single green screen as Phillips hasn’t a clue how to shoot in that format.
    Phillips (and Scott Silver) wrote the part with Phoenix in mind (they even had a photo of him above their computer!) specifically but hadn’t met him. He raves about his performance throughout the article “he’s unsettling in the movie. The movie is unsettling and I think that’s a great thing. The Joker should be unsettling”.

*Not yet you’d imagine!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Shred

It doesn’t seem like that’d be Phillip’s thing as per my last post.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PressRun

I really hope it doesn't go down the route of the world was mean to this guy, so he decides to become the Joker and start killing people, etc. Personally, that's not a narrative I would have a huge amount of sympathy with.
    But I'm still interested in the movie. I'm interested in anything Joaquin Phoenix does.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Caegan

That's another fantastic trailer, really have high expectations for this. Love that it wasn't full of spoilers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,770 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Its look great but we've seen it haven't we. The King of Comedy X Taxi Driver X The Dark Knight

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

I think this is going to be a very violent film.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

PressRun wrote: »
    I really hope it doesn't go down the route of the world was mean to this guy, so he decides to become the Joker and start killing people, etc. Personally, that's not a narrative I would have a huge amount of sympathy with.
    But I'm still interested in the movie. I'm interested in anything Joaquin Phoenix does.

Depends for me on how they sell it. It doesn't look like they're going for a simple good guy turned evil by society narrative.

It looks like an angle of man on the edge fighting an inner turmoil which is exasperated by his surroundings. They'll probably emphasise that Arthur makes a willing choice in the end to give into his darkness. If it's a willing choice, then that's cool with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,560 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

It looks like finally after all these years we are getting a movie that captures what the joker is suppose to be, I don't think anyone has captured the real joker yet in film ,

He looks unhinged and someone who has mentally just fallen apart and has no intrest in trying to repair his brokenness ,

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

I genuinely can't think of a film in recent years (Maybe ever) that has intrigued me nearly as much as Joker. I can't suss it out at all. Great to see and whoever the marketing team behind it are they deserve to be commended

I really like that trailer, I mean I must, I just watched it about 6 times there now.

new poster

joker-poster-new-1185127.jpeg?auto=webp&width=300&height=445&crop=300:445,smart

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Anarchic psychopathy is pretty much the antithesis of society, so The Joker is the stoker of a primal cultural fear. Is DC finally nailing the darkness on film? This looks like it could be the real deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

One interesting point was that its not a shared universe movie so it can be its own thing with its own payoffs and should need to compromise less. Seeing a positive reaction from the few people I tune into.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

It looks class.

So did Man of Steel in the trailer so I will set my expectations low which will hopefully result in me absolutely loving it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,857 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Reminds me a bit of Gotham season 2,I think when they hinted anyone could be the Joker when loads of people started acting out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭claiva

It looks class.

So did Man of Steel in the trailer so I will set my expectations low which will hopefully result in me absolutely loving it.

I thought Man of Steel was a pretty decent movie, almost great, but not quite, more of the origin story stuff and less of the stupid CGI bashing into skyscrapers for 10 minutes duels would have made it great. It was soured by the dogsh1t that followed it though.
    Henry Cavill was perfect for it, but he was let down by the writing.

Advertisement