Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade Talk 24/7/365

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,521 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I've said it before but... what is with everything coming up online arcade wise being in the north?!

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

Sega rally works, outrun 2, time crisis 2, twin motorbike games, rest are more redemption stuff. Nothing really up my street, oh well :)

Always worth the dash!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

beejee wrote: »
    Sega rally works, outrun 2, time crisis 2, twin motorbike games, rest are more redemption stuff. Nothing really up my street, oh well :)

Always worth the dash!

Fair play to you for going up, it was annoying that he only posted one pic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭BGOllie

outrun 2 is want on my list but I dread the initial price and maintenance cost

Has he prices? I just got a new TV so I'm cleaned out

• Advertisement

Not yet. Seems a bit preemptive, really.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 80 ✭✭KevW24601

Strange question here but I'm not sure where else to put.

Back in the day an Arcade in Tramore had a SF2CE. It had some slightly interesting quirks; a black title screen / character select screen instead of blue (think all the blues were darkened), slightly higher pitched music and the post match win quotes would "pop up suddenly" after a second rather than gradually scrolling.

Apart from that it was your standard SF2CE. Well, I also remember it being really, really hard (well then I was also a kid) and the dipswitch for continues were turned off. So I can ascertain it's not Rainbow or anything like that.

Any ideas as to what would have been behind those quirks? I'm just really curious as I have never come across those again in any other version of SF2CE. Not the dozen ports or MAME versions and Barcadia / Token cabinets are your standard CE.

Was it just a weird board or a bootleg or some such?

Sounds like a boot or a dodgy repair

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

Daytona for sale in cork at a good price
    https://www.donedeal.ie/otherelectronics-for-sale/sega-daytona-vintage-arcade-game-machine/22934163

Monitor repair would be around 80-150.

Maybe the best arcade racer! That's a great bargain going there, cant be too many left at all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭kevin2me

Daytona for sale in cork at a good price
    https://www.donedeal.ie/otherelectronics-for-sale/sega-daytona-vintage-arcade-game-machine/22934163

Monitor repair would be around 80-150.

Ye are killing, I was so tempted to put a Daytona into 1 half of Sega rally and Sega rally on the other side.

Double the fun for the same space used up :) Cant do it though :) Unholy to split the SR twin :)

Thats a fine deal 20 minutes from me though. Model 2 cab aint it not model 3?

So you can fit a Sega naomi driver in a 3 door gti.
    It was fairly tight.
    Got the 18wheeler home on Friday but haven't looked at it really.
    It was in Shannon Airport, 490,000 on the coin counter.
    A cool half million quid!!!!

Picked this 4 slot up a few weeks back and only got around to sorting it the weekend, stripped and cleaned the boards, replaced the battery with cell holder and desoldered the 470 resistor to prevent the mobo trying to charge the cell battery, added unibios 4.0, sanded, sprayed and added a headphone jack.. my neo candy 29 is very happy :)

IMG-4292.jpg
    IMG-4299.jpg
    IMG-4305.jpg
    IMG-4346.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭kevin2me

Mozie, That looks better than my Debs date (back in the day) lol

Fab setup. Does it save highscrores with mod etc or do any of these. Enjoy now go play games!

kevin2me wrote: »
    Mozie, That looks better than my Debs date (back in the day) lol

Fab setup. Does it save highscrores with mod etc or do any of these. Enjoy now go play games!

Haha I bet Kev ;) Yeah saves high scores of course, unibios is great can also run aes mode so have the different options of the home carts and dont need to add credits etc..also has a cheat system so I can finally finish viewpoint because otherwise its not happening that game is ridiculously hard. Highly recommended it even the free version if your motherboard has the bios socketed

That looks great :) nice job!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Looks great, doing well to find a working one of these :) Still have a stack of broken 6 slots here to work thru eventually...

@Mozie81

Whats that pcb thing between the Jamma connector and the 4 slot?

@Mozie81

It’s a jamma adapter, mvs multislots are not jamma there a little different (audio and test pins) my cab is wired to jamma, was going to change it back to mvs but thought nice to have the option, only change a few jumpers on the adapter or remove to go back to jamma..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

@Mozie81

Jamma to MVS adapter id say

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Newbie here.
    Just dipping me toe in to see if I could get meself an arcade cabinet for the shed.

How does one typically get their hands on one? Ring the local bowling alley/arcade?

Make your own from a bit of MDF?
    I saw a flat pack one on ebay there recently.

Or do u just be patient and get one on done deal?

It depends really on what your after. Do you want the REAL arcade experience? Well then nothing but a real arcade machine will do. Yes you could get lucky with done deal but one of the most reliable ways of getting one would be to have it imported from the UK so have a look on the UKVAC website.

As for what your games will play on, well you might be happy with a Pandoras box or other multi game setup but there's nothing like original hardware for the genuine experience, cost would be a factor in that decision though. Real arcade hardware is getting pricey.

Building one can work as long as you don't make silly mistakes like slide out keyboards, light up buttons or side art of Lara Croft etc. There are loads of plans available with a quick google.

I have seen those flat-pack machines in person and they look ok but they don't have the likes of a coin slot etc. They are more tributes to arcade machines rather than real ones if you get me.

Getting into the hobby can be hard, there's quite a bit of planning and expense, dealing with the other half regarding space in "her" house etc. but it is well worth it so persevere.

My final tip would be, CRT is the king, don't go flat screen of you can avoid it.

The plan is a MAME machine. I'd be handy with computers but useless with wood, so ideal scenario is a prebuilt cabinet and then I'll go in with the computer stuff.

How much is importing from the UK generally?
    I want a standard full size cab for MAME(street fighter etc), but if I had the space I'd love a car racing game like Ridge Racer, OutRun or (as I saw on adverts), Need for Speed.

I'm saying "for the shed" because basically it is "her" house. I'd say I'd be lucky to get the one in the gaf, let alone a car racing game.

I've a mate who's handy with wood so I might ask him to build me one to my spec. If I do, is there any point getting side button holes for pinball? Or would I need a separate cabinet for vertical stuff like 1942?
    Also, is it handy getting plexiglass/acrylic for in front of the screen? What about treating the wood for damp if its being kept in the shed?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,223 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

The_B_Man wrote: »
    How much is importing from the UK generally?
    I want a standard full size cab for MAME(street fighter etc), but if I had the space

I had a pallet shipped from Devon UK to Dublin with two Dino King cabs. It cost me just over 120euro with translandgroup.com
    The seller has to be happy to get the cabs on a pallet, securing them etc. for shipping. I'm sure there are other services like 'man-with-a-van' which they will ship it in a smaller van, they pack it up etc but I've no idea how much that might cost

This is Martin in the UK, he would pick up a cab, palatalize it and arrange to have Transland etc bring it to Irl

https://www.facebook.com/RetroLogistics/

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

Can you tell us anything about the raid Beejee and Ollie :D:D

the first rule of raid club is...!

:P

This is Martin in the UK, he would pick up a cab, palatalize it and arrange to have Transland etc bring it to Irl

https://www.facebook.com/RetroLogistics/

Ah so this is the "Martin" everyone is talking about on the UKVac site. I was wondering why they were saying "Martin will be up to me house this week". I thought he was just some big arcade fan!!

Good idea on the "Man with a van". I wonder how much it'd cost me to get a cabinet delivered from the South. That could open up an expensive new avenue for me.

Can you tell us anything about the raid Beejee and Ollie :D:D

soon :) ... but for now...

v4719ON.gif

• Advertisement

So I'm considering converting one of the Naomi Driver cabs to an outrun 2 setup. From what I read it's pretty much plug and play but I know close to nothing about what's needed in a Chihiro setup. I saw this on ebay : https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SEGA-outrun-2-sp-Arcade-Motherboard-512MB-Working-Hy-402/312783399529?hash=item48d357ea69:g:kJYAAOSwCf9djbrE

Seems like an ok price compared to what I've seen but is it missing anything ?

Advertisement