Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Great British Bake Off 2019

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭Poochie05

Looking forward to it.
    Was pleased to see in the Sunday papers Paul Hollywood saying they were going back to basics with some of the technical challenges.
    He said as some in recent series were a bit too obscure and you risk alienating the audience, think he was the most guilty of that!
    Also in same article saw Prue is 79! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,144 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Can't wait :)
    Yep read that article yesterday - she's looking good on it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭dee_mc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

I'm excited for this.
    Love how easy Bake Off is to watch. I started watching on netflix as a break from studying and it was so gentle.
    Perfect relaxing tv.

Lets bring on the bakes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Woo-hoo! Bring it on :D

All the contestants seem quite young this year though. Not as much of an age range as usual.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

I can't wait! It's mental that it's this time of the year again.

Agree with the age range. All these people are pretty decent looking and I'm a bit sad to not see your everyday auntie or grandpa or that oddball student again. But that's Channel 4 for you I guess.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

A post elsewhere just reminded me that this starts back tomorrow - so excited!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,951 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

the contestants are very young this year !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I was really disappointed with the last series (veered into gimmicky, became Channel 4-ified) so I haven’t bothered to read up on the contestants like I usually do. I... I think I might not watch it this year and I can’t believe I’m saying that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

Anyone else find themselves saying "Great British Brake Off" occasionally?

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

I don't get why there is an extra baker this year, is there an extra week? Or will they boot off two bakers one week?

Oh they've just confirmed on the show that two bakers will be leaving one week, and it could be any week

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

So happy that this is back! :D

Am i just getting old or are there children in this!!

Aw great to have this back!!

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭yogibear77

Eeeekkkk...I'm so excited

The blonde vet has a really annoying voice!

The Spanish Halloween-obsessed one is suitably bonkers, I hope she stays in it for a while

I can't watch until tomorrow but I'm so excited!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,952 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

I forgot this started tonight , hope I haven't missed much :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

The ad breaks are ridiculous, Im just going to pirate it and watch it without ads on a Wednesday anymore.

I enjoyed the first episode, I'll definitely be tuning back in next week for Biscuit Week!

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Anyone know when this will be on demand? I missed it tonight...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,596 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Surprised the lad who made the dog cake wasn't sent home. He appeared to do the worst in the show stopper and was last in the technical

I agree siblers, I wondered if he was kept in because watching him makes great TV... It is like he wandered in off the street and put on an apron, he doesn't seem to have a clue what he's doing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Enjoyed the first one..... Good group. :)

Wizard of Oz intro was cringe though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

I'm amazed how high the standard is.
    Nice episode anyway.
    I hope they keep the technical challenges like that: simple with loads of room to mess up.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

siblers wrote: »
    Surprised the lad who made the dog cake wasn't sent home. He appeared to do the worst in the show stopper and was last in the technical
    I was full sure he was going home as well, I actually liked Dan and thought he could be good to watch in future episodes whereas Jamie is a bit "Oh I'm so mad, amn't I? LOLS" I'm sure he's a lovely chap but I found him a bit grating in the context of GBBO.
    Mr E wrote: »
    Enjoyed the first one..... Good group. :)

Wizard of Oz intro was cringe though!
    My gran was not one bit impressed with Noel dressed as Dorothy :pac: It was kinda pointless and in no way connected to baking really.

Overall I thought this was a good episode and we got to meet all contestants at least a little bit so although I don't know all of the names, I feel I have a better handle on them than I normally do after Week 1!

Their Angel slices were atrocious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I set a series record but haven’t watched the episode yet. I know I’ll get sucked in if I watch it whether it’s good or not. I heard somewhere that it was going back to basics but I’m not sure I trust that. I really was so underwhelmed and disappointed with the last series. It having a clear stand out contestant didn’t help though.

Can I ask those of you who watched last night - what’s your verdict? Or is it too soon to tell?

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭saraocallaghan

Faugheen wrote: »
    Anyone know when this will be on demand? I missed it tonight...

They repeat it on E4 at 4pm on Saturday if you want to watch it on the telly or else there's 4OD to watch it online!

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭saraocallaghan

I set a series record but haven’t watched the episode yet. I know I’ll get sucked in if I watch it whether it’s good or not. I heard somewhere that it was going back to basics but I’m not sure I trust that. I really was so underwhelmed and disappointed with the last series. It having a clear stand out contestant didn’t help though.

Can I ask those of you who watched last night - what’s your verdict? Or is it too soon to tell?

I think its too soon to tell! But I think the bakes that they picked for the first week were definitely what I would consider back to basics but it is only the first episode so there is potential for it to go mad altogether!

• Advertisement

As sara said, a bit too soon to tell but there were definitely no stand out bakers last night, some did better than others of course but I think a few of them struggled. No really annoying characters (I know I mentioned one above but he has his good moments too) and it is promised that it will go back to basics rather than some of the high falutin' stuff they had last year that seemed a bit unfair. Time will tell...are you sure you can wait a whole week to hear how episode two went? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭j@utis

I was really disappointed to see Dan sent off last night. I thought Jamie, the young lad, was absolutely useless in technical and his show stopper was something 5yo could do. I hope he's gone the next week. After all, if you knew , you were going to be on this show, wouldn't you try to go through as many classic recipes as you can, that at least you have an idea what to do?! Not knowing how to do basic genoise sponge and calling yourself a baker? cmon, I wouldn't dare so...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

I don't think that Jamie didn't know how to do a genoise sponge more that he couldn't get it right. A few of them had flat sponges in the technical. Dan's cake in the signature was raw and his showstopper was missing the passionfruit curd he spoke about and he dug a hole for himself by insisting it was further inside the cake. If you say things like that Paul will go hunting for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

I enjoyed the first episode. Interesting to see how many of the bakers messed up the technical, given that it seemed a lot less complicated than previous years. And the recipe seemed more detailed than it usually was.
    I thought Dan deserved to stay over Jamie, his dog cake was very very basic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,145 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Man, that small kid from Diversity grew up.... :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Good start.
    I like Amelia, Henry and Helena.
    I really don’t like David.

Thought they were going to be way more skilled than it showed on Tuesday given the stuff in the papers over the weekend that they had done previously although I imagine they spent hours making them at home!

First ep was good. Didn't really warm to anyone. Found the guy who made the fat free fruit cake pretty annoying but his showstopper was very cool! I thought there was a few great looking showstoppers actually. Looking forward to next week. I like when the numbers get smaller and I can really start to back someone to win!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Found the guy who made the fat free fruit cake pretty annoying but his showstopper was very cool!
    That’s David.
    I thought he seemed conceited.

Addle wrote: »
    That’s David.
    I thought he seemed conceited.

Yeah that's him. Maybe he'll grow on me!

• Advertisement

Can't remember the names either but the guy with no fingers left :) was great. Loved his treasure chest

Was away all week (and had warned my friends NO SPOILERS!) so just catching up tonight. Not sure what to make of most of them yet and I couldn't pick a winner at all, although when I saw the contestants online, for some reason Helena jumped out at me so we'll see. Last year I picked Rahul on the first night and the year before I picked Sophie on the first night! The year before I almost got it right with Andrew because he did get to the final. This year, nope, no one jumped out at me.

Not particularly keen on Rosie. She reminds me a bit of Flora from the Nadiya year. Could be a big smug. I suspect she has an aga
    Kind of liked Steph. I liked both of the young guys, Jamie and Henry. I think Henry could do well.
    I was surprised when Phil (the older guy) came so low down in the technical. I thought his angel cakes looked the best by far and if I remember correctly both Paul and Prue said they tasted nice.
    Michael seemed okay (the guy who kept cutting his fingers)

Roll on Tuesday night :)

Looking forward to this tonight - did someone say this is biscuit week?

miamee wrote: »
    Looking forward to this tonight - did someone say this is biscuit week?

yep biccies! :)

Whoop!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Jamie is brutal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭ebbsy

A few bad bakes at the end. A few could have gone.

ebbsy wrote: »
    Jamie is brutal.

He certainly deserved to go!

David still annoys me. Just something about him I don't like but I have to say his showstopper looked great.

The vets chicken was incredible though!! That took some skill!

I enjoyed some lovely homemade pear cake and custard while I watched that! :) (Made by my partner, not me!)

I'm not mad on David either and still not warming to Rosie.

I think Amelia could be the next to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,596 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Paul is a lot stricter with the handshakes, he was giving them out for fun last year

• Advertisement
Advertisement