Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great British Bake Off 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Poochie05

Looking forward to it.
    Was pleased to see in the Sunday papers Paul Hollywood saying they were going back to basics with some of the technical challenges.
    He said as some in recent series were a bit too obscure and you risk alienating the audience, think he was the most guilty of that!
    Also in same article saw Prue is 79! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,075 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Can't wait :)
    Yep read that article yesterday - she's looking good on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭dee_mc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,379 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

I'm excited for this.
    Love how easy Bake Off is to watch. I started watching on netflix as a break from studying and it was so gentle.
    Perfect relaxing tv.

Lets bring on the bakes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Woo-hoo! Bring it on :D

All the contestants seem quite young this year though. Not as much of an age range as usual.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

I can't wait! It's mental that it's this time of the year again.

Agree with the age range. All these people are pretty decent looking and I'm a bit sad to not see your everyday auntie or grandpa or that oddball student again. But that's Channel 4 for you I guess.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

A post elsewhere just reminded me that this starts back tomorrow - so excited!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,942 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

the contestants are very young this year !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I was really disappointed with the last series (veered into gimmicky, became Channel 4-ified) so I haven’t bothered to read up on the contestants like I usually do. I... I think I might not watch it this year and I can’t believe I’m saying that!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Anyone else find themselves saying "Great British Brake Off" occasionally?

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

I don't get why there is an extra baker this year, is there an extra week? Or will they boot off two bakers one week?

Oh they've just confirmed on the show that two bakers will be leaving one week, and it could be any week

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

So happy that this is back! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Am i just getting old or are there children in this!!

Aw great to have this back!!

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭yogibear77

Eeeekkkk...I'm so excited

The blonde vet has a really annoying voice!

The Spanish Halloween-obsessed one is suitably bonkers, I hope she stays in it for a while

I can't watch until tomorrow but I'm so excited!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,825 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

I forgot this started tonight , hope I haven't missed much :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,866 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

The ad breaks are ridiculous, Im just going to pirate it and watch it without ads on a Wednesday anymore.

I enjoyed the first episode, I'll definitely be tuning back in next week for Biscuit Week!

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Anyone know when this will be on demand? I missed it tonight...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,361 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Surprised the lad who made the dog cake wasn't sent home. He appeared to do the worst in the show stopper and was last in the technical

I agree siblers, I wondered if he was kept in because watching him makes great TV... It is like he wandered in off the street and put on an apron, he doesn't seem to have a clue what he's doing

• Registered Users Posts: 55,452 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Enjoyed the first one..... Good group. :)

Wizard of Oz intro was cringe though!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

I'm amazed how high the standard is.
    Nice episode anyway.
    I hope they keep the technical challenges like that: simple with loads of room to mess up.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

siblers wrote: »
    Surprised the lad who made the dog cake wasn't sent home. He appeared to do the worst in the show stopper and was last in the technical
    I was full sure he was going home as well, I actually liked Dan and thought he could be good to watch in future episodes whereas Jamie is a bit "Oh I'm so mad, amn't I? LOLS" I'm sure he's a lovely chap but I found him a bit grating in the context of GBBO.
    Mr E wrote: »
    Enjoyed the first one..... Good group. :)

Wizard of Oz intro was cringe though!
    My gran was not one bit impressed with Noel dressed as Dorothy :pac: It was kinda pointless and in no way connected to baking really.

Overall I thought this was a good episode and we got to meet all contestants at least a little bit so although I don't know all of the names, I feel I have a better handle on them than I normally do after Week 1!

Their Angel slices were atrocious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I set a series record but haven’t watched the episode yet. I know I’ll get sucked in if I watch it whether it’s good or not. I heard somewhere that it was going back to basics but I’m not sure I trust that. I really was so underwhelmed and disappointed with the last series. It having a clear stand out contestant didn’t help though.

Can I ask those of you who watched last night - what’s your verdict? Or is it too soon to tell?

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭saraocallaghan

Faugheen wrote: »
    Anyone know when this will be on demand? I missed it tonight...

They repeat it on E4 at 4pm on Saturday if you want to watch it on the telly or else there's 4OD to watch it online!

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭saraocallaghan

I set a series record but haven’t watched the episode yet. I know I’ll get sucked in if I watch it whether it’s good or not. I heard somewhere that it was going back to basics but I’m not sure I trust that. I really was so underwhelmed and disappointed with the last series. It having a clear stand out contestant didn’t help though.

Can I ask those of you who watched last night - what’s your verdict? Or is it too soon to tell?

I think its too soon to tell! But I think the bakes that they picked for the first week were definitely what I would consider back to basics but it is only the first episode so there is potential for it to go mad altogether!

• Advertisement

As sara said, a bit too soon to tell but there were definitely no stand out bakers last night, some did better than others of course but I think a few of them struggled. No really annoying characters (I know I mentioned one above but he has his good moments too) and it is promised that it will go back to basics rather than some of the high falutin' stuff they had last year that seemed a bit unfair. Time will tell...are you sure you can wait a whole week to hear how episode two went? :D

Advertisement