Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great British Bake Off 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,842 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Woah!!! So harsh...I totally agree! :D I think you just pinpointed my issue with him. Smug smirky face! :D:D

He's the ,living image of the fella (Stephen? ) from last year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

There's always a smug one every year isn't there, with a permanent smirk. Ian from Nadiya's year was the worst ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

How could anyone not warm to Helena? Such a lovable goth.
    She’s my favorite anyways.
    And the choir boy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Addle wrote: »
    How could anyone not warm to Helena? Such a lovable goth.
    She’s my favorite anyways.
    And the choir boy.

My only concern with Helena is that she is too similar to the one from last year? Joy? Cant remember her name. Can't remember anybody's name yet this season. I'm terrible with names.

No, my only concern is that she is too similar to the woman from last year. Kim-Joy. That's it. I understand they need personalities. You don't need 12 or 13 identical, serious home bakers. You need people with a bit of life to them (whether you like them or not is another matter).

But you don't want it to become a race to the bottom to find the quirkiest "personality" to the detriment of the actual baking. Now I haven't got a baking bone in my body. I burn water. But I do enjoy the format of the show. You don't want it to become "The Great British Big Brother Bake Off"

Watching series five (winner Nancy) of GBBO on the food channel at the moment and remembering why I hated Sue Perkins. God she's so false, OTT and irritating. It's just all about her. Mel isn't much better. It's like "The Mel & Sue show" with some baking thrown in. Honestly, Noel Fielding really was the best thing ever to happen to Bake Off.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I just love Sandi and Noel on Bake Off, they really just step back and let the bakers shine, and don't make it all about them.

Happy bread week, everyone! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Watching series five (winner Nancy) of GBBO on the food channel at the moment and remembering why I hated Sue Perkins. God she's so false, OTT and irritating. It's just all about her. Mel isn't much better. It's like "The Mel & Sue show" with some baking thrown in. Honestly, Noel Fielding really was the best thing ever to happen to Bake Off.

Yeah, that actually did become more obvious as it went on alright. I still liked them and was initially quite sniffy about Noel and Sandi when announced (After thinking they had lost their mind: Yer man from The Mighty Boosh? Richmond? Really?). But I'm glad to say I was totally wrong and I think they are great. Especially Noel's interactions with the panicking and under-pressure bakers.

Actually, just looking at my post: I do not watch "Reality TV" at all and cannot understand the attraction yet here I am talking about Noel and Sandi as if I know them for years. Hah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    He's the ,living image of the fella (Stephen? ) from last year!

Dan!
    There's always a smug one every year isn't there, with a permanent smirk. Ian from Nadiya's year was the worst ever.

I rewatched that series recently and really cannot get over the smugness of Ian. He loved himself and couldn’t cover it. He did deserve to make the final though. I was then also reminded of Tamal - hilarious and talented and hot.

I prefer Mel and Sue still. Noel is fine, I don’t get the hype, really. They overdid his wacky stuff last year. I’ve always loved Sandy but she’s not suited to this show and she and Noel don’t have the best chemistry. Plus Mel and Sue are a big reason why the show developed in the way it did with that lovely gentle atmosphere. They actively went about playing down standard reality TV drama. I don’t think the show would have become as popular without that input and it’s down to Mel and Sue. They don’t get enough credit for it so I’ll never shut up about it!

And Noel got in the way a few times in the second episode and seemed to be distracting a few of the bakers. Alice especially seemed annoyed at him at one stage.

We'll have to agree to disagree on Mel and Sue :D

Oh Ian was something else. I was #teamtamal in the final but was just glad that Ian didn't win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Remember Northern Irish Ian? When he threw his baked Alaska in the bin. TV gold.

We'll have to agree to disagree on Mel and Sue :D

Oh Ian was something else. I was #teamtamal in the final but was just glad that Ian didn't win.

Absolutely shocking. He’d eat himself if he could and is one of those people who when congratulating someone, the eyes aren’t smiling. I mean, I did stick up for Ian that year because it’s not a personality contest and he was very good. I stand by that. A lot of people seemed to want him gone based on personality alone and that would just cheapen the show. But I was SO glad he didn’t perform to his best in the final. That was an unbelievably strong final three and any of them could have taken it. I felt for Tamal. He was like Luis in Richard’s season. An incredibly strong contestant and almost always at the very top every week but often just pipped (think he won Star Baker only once). But Nadiya was just amazing after a shaky start. Sigh, season six was great.

LizT wrote: »
    Remember Northern Irish Ian? When he threw his baked Alaska in the bin. TV gold.

Yup. And whilst the media furore was insane and Diana did not deserve the full on hate she received, it wasn’t all down to editing like people said. She did say defensively “You should have used your own freezer!” and looked guilty as Ian was in the background freaking out. All she had to do was tell him she’d moved his ice cream out of the freezer and she didn’t do that. I wasn’t a fan of hers, not just because of that.

NI Ian wasn't my favourite person (could be a bit sharp I felt) but I still maintain Diana knew exactly what she was doing.
    That was by far the best series. I still maintain Luis was robbed. Richard flew threw most of the series and got star baker so many times, but he did have a bad final.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

miamee wrote: »
    And the girl from Wales.

She's annoying me a bit because she keeps making Welsh-themed bakes and we're only two episodes in - I think she had two in cake week and one in biscuit week. We get it, you're Welsh!

I'm looking forward to bread week :)

I’ll never forget a comment I saw somewhere on social media last year saying that the opposite of the Hollywood Handshake should be called the Prue Punch-In-The-Gob. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

Scarinae wrote: »
    We get it, you're Welsh!

shes at it again :pac:

God that girl with the ponytail (Alice? got star baker last week) is super-annoying :mad:

And the vet's not far behind her.

But I ADORE bread, I'm practically drooling here!!

All that buttercream topping though....... euwwwwww :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

a handshake!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭Rfrip

I’m not getting into it at all for some reason this year

I'm open to being surprised, but not one of those showstoppers looks like it'll stop my show in any way at all!

(Disclaimer: I can barely make toast, so I'm not really in any position to criticise, but how and ever)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

The flashing images is making it unwatchable.

Why does the camera constantly flick from one view to another?
    You barely get a chance to register what's on screen before they've moved on to the next shot.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Hermy wrote: »
    The flashing images is making it unwatchable.

Why does the camera constantly flick from one view to another?
    You barely get a chance to register what's on screen before they've moved on to the next shot.
    I was just thinking that! Had to rewind to get a proper look at the bunch of flowers.

How do the judges eat that much dry bread!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

Scarinae wrote: »
    She's annoying me a bit because she keeps making Welsh-themed bakes and we're only two episodes in - I think she had two in cake week and one in biscuit week. We get it, you're Welsh!

I'm looking forward to bread week :)
    Same as the one with her witchcraft - spiders last week, spiderweb this time, boooring.

I'd say Amelia is for the chop this week

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I was just thinking that! Had to rewind to get a proper look at the bunch of flowers.

It's become the norm in so many programmes but Bake Off is one of the worst offenders.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Hermy wrote: »
    It's become the norm in so many programmes but Bake Off is one of the worst offenders.
    For me, Strictly is by far the worst offender, I could write a (short) book on the frustration of the camerawork on that :mad:

(Disclaimer; I'm no more an authority on camerawork than I am on baking, but I am an avid viewer so claiming rights on commenting)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

The lady with the fringe is a bit of a snarky b*tch.

Loving the challenges so far because they're all quite simple with a lot of room to mess up.

• Advertisement

Rfrip wrote: »
    I’m not getting into it at all for some reason this year

I'm finding it hard to warm to most of the bakers this year. I like Michael, Henry and Steph seem okay but I can take or leave most of the rest of them. I find Alice and Rosie very anointing.

Advertisement