Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great British Bake Off 2019

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Yayy, Michelle got through an entire round without mentioning Wales, or that she's Welsh, or rugby!

Oh no she didn't. We'd never be that lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,840 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

With the Maids of Honour cakes, why did absolutely none of them cut the pastry big enough to actually fill the holes in the tin? :confused:

Oh no she didn't. We'd never be that lucky.
    Well she got through the first micro-round!

Oh yeah..

The Welsh one who needs us to know she's Welsh. And that rice pudding looked foul.

The goth one who needs us to know she's goth.

Why are they backing themselves into corners like that. They're seriously limiting everything they bake if it has to have a Welsh or goth theme. Silly imo.

I've realised why I really don't like Rosie (the vet) It's the voice. She's an English Rachel Allen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Disappointed at the lack of cheesecake.
    Only 2 good things about tonight’s show-the ducklings and Noel’s shirt.

When they said "Indian sweets" I thought they meant actual sweets..... these seem to be just cakes, why are they calling them sweets??? (admittedly I haven't actually seen any yet, only the drawings)

I can't separate Michael and Henry in my head! They're both so alike - nerdy, booky, quirky and lovable!

Michelle (I'm Welsh, dontchaknow) is beginning to develop a bit of a killer look about her, like she'll just annihilate anyone who gets in her way.

That Indian sweet round - everything looked absolutely revolting! Hopefully they're back to normal, conventional, Western-style baking next week (I'd say the trucker fella is wishing that as well!!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,370 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Ah seriously, who's on the fecking cameras?

One close-up of the eyes on the ghost cake (probably the most imaginative cake of all, not only because it's almost the only one not in that swirl tin that seems to feature in every episode this year, are they sponsoring the show or what??)

Would it have killed them to give us a look at the whole actual cake?

That's s the directors/editors fault, they decide how much of any bake is shown not the camera men

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

But a baker has got through to the telly show Great British Bake-Off, and has never made rough puff pastry before???

Fk sake, even I'VE made rough puff pastry (in national school cookery classes, admittedly, but I remember it well!).

I was all over the "this is gone too gimmicky and high-falutin'" last series, but that's taking the dumbing down a bit too far IMO.....

Yup, I’ve said it before but the gaps in knowledge this year are eyebrow-raising.

Interesting to see the person who left looking completely shocked for once. Not sure how I feel about this week’s elimination.

And I gave him a chance... but I can’t stand David. He is exactly as smug as he looks. Delirah that Steph pipped him.

And finally, Priya’s hair is gorgeous!

• Advertisement

Oh and I forgot to say, I’m not the biggest fan of the Noel+Sandi combo but they were high-larious tonight. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

I felt tonight's elimination was unwarranted. There were 2 others who were easily worse and could both have got the chop

Loved how shocked he was. And then to be called boring! Ha.

What are they saving the double elimination for?

And I gave him a chance... but I can’t stand David. He is exactly as smug as he looks. Delirah that Steph pipped him.

110% agree. He's positively smarmy.

And finally, Priya’s hair is gorgeous!

Yup.

Oh David is SOOOOOO smug. Was delighted Steph got star baker. You could see the look of outrage on his face.

I don't think there's ever been a series where I've disliked so many of the contestants.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Monkey2019

It's the first time I have removed it from my series link.

Not enjoying it at all this year!

Addle wrote: »
    Loved how shocked he was. And then to be called boring! Ha.

What are they saving the double elimination for?

And I wish they’d shut the eff up about it at the deliberations. Paul is such a drama queen.
    I felt tonight's elimination was unwarranted. There were 2 others who were easily worse and could both have got the chop

Priya’s technical couldn’t even be eaten! I know more weight is given to the Showstopper but her technical offering was almost an insult. And even though it was a very old recipe, I’m not sure why they all struggled so much. The cheese curd layer seemed to be the only unusual part.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

I'm really liking Helena the goth! I know everything is halloween themed but her spider from a few weeks ago was amazing, and I'm warming to her personality.

The teacher one is annoying as hell, she comes across as a teenage version of Bridget Jones or something and I just don't like it.

I do quite like Steph and her fringe, and I'm delighted she got star baker over David.

I'm not bothered about Michelles constant references to her Welshness. I'm just watching for her death stares. she seems very competitive.

TBH, I lost interest in Phil when he made a cake flavoured with Rosewater. But still didn't think he deserved to go.

And this weeks showstopper was ridiculous. I zoned out watching it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

They always get rid of the older bakers who go with tried and tested combinations, in favour of those who push the boat out a little bit more. Paul especially seems to have a problem with ‘boring’ bakers. I don’t think he would have lasted much longer in the competition but I didn’t think he deserved to go.

I’m not really invested in any of the bakers yet and the challenges have been fairly unremarkable so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

This is my first time watching GBBO since it switched to Channel 4 so I’m glad to see others are having trouble with this series and not just me as it means they didn’t break the format in moving it.

I miss Mary Berry, which I knew I would, but I also miss Mel and Sue, which I’m a bit surprised by; their shtick sort of suited the lame humour of the show. And I miss the little history bits about baking.

Thought Steph deserved to win last week so glad to see her do it this week. Reckon she will make the final, she seems the most consistent. But agree that this years lot seem to lack a bit of personality.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭GRACKEA

Priya is my fave! Her humour is so understated and easy. And you can tell she absolutely hashtag werks. Slay, etc

Earthhorse wrote: »
    This is my first time watching GBBO since it switched to Channel 4 so I’m glad to see others are having trouble with this series and not just me as it means they didn’t break the format in moving it.

I miss Mary Berry, which I knew I would, but I also miss Mel and Sue, which I’m a bit surprised by; their shtick sort of suited the lame humour of the show. And I miss the little history bits about baking.

Thought Steph deserved to win last week so glad to see her do it this week. Reckon she will make the final, she seems the most consistent. But agree that this years lot seem to lack a bit of personality.

As well as that, I tried to deal with the ad breaks. I really tried. I banked time at the start of each show so I could speed through them with minimal disruption but it’s just not the same as the relaxing hour it was on the BBC. You could just sink into it.

The first year on Channel 4 stayed very true to the Beeb version but slowly it’s been going downhill since then. Even just simple things like not calling it the Gingham Altar during the Technical Challenge anymore. :(

And I miss Mary, Mel and Sue too. People say Mel and Sue distracted contestants too much but I think Noel is as bad, to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

I don't get the Helena hate a lot of people have. Given her somewhat unusual backstory in life and what she now she seems pretty authentic. I mean that woman makes money with selling vintage goth accessories.
    I understand when her style isn't to people's taste but it's more pushed by the host going on and on about her "typical unusual" style, she's not as annoying and in your face as the Welsh one.

I think yesterday's elimination was not really justified, I think Priya should have gone.

Helena’s my favorite.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,458 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Harsh guys, I'm still enjoying it. I don't miss the Mel and Sue show. I like Prue, and I seem to hate David as much as everyone else. :)

I will say that the ads are nuts though. There is a break before show stopper judging and a break before the eliminations. They're just 5 minutes apart!

It's no wonder people are being driven towards ad-free alternative viewing methods.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Earthhorse wrote: »

I miss the history bits as well, I was looking forward to a bit about the Maid of Honour cakes and Henry VIII but nada :(
    Mr E wrote: »
    Harsh guys, I'm still enjoying it. I don't miss the Mel and Sue show. I like Prue, and I seem to hate David as much as everyone else. :)

I will say that the ads are nuts though. There is a break before show stopper judging and a break before the eliminations. They're just 5 minutes apart!

It's no wonder people are being driven towards ad-free alternative viewing methods.

The ads are crazy alright. I only caught up on All4 and although they don't have ad breaks if you download the show, they still have a break at the appointed ad times to show you an ad for the bake-off, it's as if they just removed the adverts but kept the bit where they transition to and from the ad break. Still annoying but less so than the actual 5 minutes of ads.

I don't hate any of the contestants yet but equally, I don't love any of them either. I like Michael but he is getting a lot of airtime so I'm assuming that means we'll be seeing lots more of him as the series goes on. You can really see them cutting back on showing cakes, they all made 3 Inidan sweets but they only showed the judges tasting and commenting on 2 out of 3 for most of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

LirW wrote: »
    I don't get the Helena hate a lot of people have. Given her somewhat unusual backstory in life and what she now she seems pretty authentic. I mean that woman makes money with selling vintage goth accessories.

I don't hate her by any means but I do find she's one of those people who has an obsession rather than a personality. I don't know how to described. There's nothing wrong with any of these contestants, just compared to previous years they aren't as easy to warm to.
    I like Prue

I like her fine. But she's no Mary Berry.

The ads are a bit mad alright. I watch it on All4 though I'm not sure it's even called that any more. As OBD says it just means you can't settle into it for the hour. Maybe I should download it like Miamee and see if that makes a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,265 ✭✭✭✭Penn

The Welsh one who needs us to know she's Welsh.
    Michelle (I'm Welsh, dontchaknow)

F*ck me I hate her. I get that some people feel like they need something to make them stand out, but being Welsh isn't interesting. Everyone from Wales is Welsh.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Penn wrote: »
    F*ck me I hate her. I get that some people feel like they need something to make them stand out, but being Welsh isn't interesting. Everyone from Wales is Welsh.

She is really starting to irritate me now. I wonder is she watching it back now and cringing, I would be.

• Advertisement

Check out the ad-spacing, courtesy of All4:

2-F4-E5-EED-C7-A5-4-A33-9615-03-FF6-F55-C717.jpg

Ridiculous. Reducing to three breaks would be a great improvement.

Advertisement