Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Deals On Sky TV Service - (Mostly Cancellation deals)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

boxer2015 wrote: »
    Stupid you say. Stupid that it has WORKED 3 TIMES! Stupid you say.Please..

Cancelling a DD doesn't cancel the service, and debt collection agencies get involved also.

Sky should give your parents an upgrade to a new Sky+HD box FOC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 boxer2015

Cancelling a DD doesn't cancel the service, and debt collection agencies get involved also.

Sky will send letters that is it.
    No action has ever being taken. They send these letters in the hope that they will get you back as a customer they don't care about the debt. They don't want to lose you to a rival company. As they saying goes 'A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the Bush''. As for debt collectors that's rubbish as it will cost sky too much money to hire them to chase your measly debt. So you Mr or Ms stop being a little scardy cat and grow a pair..

No action has ever being taken. They send these letters in the hope that they will get you back as a customer they don't care about the debt. They don't want to lose you to a rival company. As they saying goes 'A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the Bush''. As for debt collectors that's rubbish as it will cost sky too much money to hire them to chase your measly debt. So you Mr or Ms stop being a little scardy cat and grow a pair..

some people prefer honesty and fairness and like to pay for the service they use, instead of reneging on their dealings with companies. It's not about being a "little scardy cat", its about being a decent, honest and regular person, who pays their way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

Actually they do sell the debt on after a few months. Emerald collections were the company they used, not sure if they still use them or use another company now.

Avada wrote: »
    Actually they do sell the debt on after a few months. Emerald collections were the company they used, not sure if they still use them or use another company now.

Iv owned them money the last 3times I cancled and No debt has ever been paid back to them.
    Every time I get a new sky box currently have sky Q and paid no extra cost.. Figure that . Not that I need it but it's just that easy. Stop getting scared people you won't get locked up in prison with all the people in society that you'd rather didn't exist. Is that what this is all about. It's easy cancel it as I stated in my first post. I think people are scared the guards are going to call to there door and lock them up. Oh poor Rory and aoife will be have to spend Christmas visiting mommy or daddy behind bars because they didn't pay their sky bill! Grow a pair people.

some people prefer honesty and fairness and like to pay for the service they use, instead of reneging on their dealings with companies. It's not about being a "little scardy cat", its about being a decent, honest and regular person, who pays their way.
    Some people live up in the clouds. This is the real world back on land. Honest and fair people get walked on, walked over. Are you a decent, honest and regular male or female may I ask?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,305 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Some people live up in the clouds. This is the real world back on land. Honest and fair people get walked on, walked over. Are you a decent, honest and regular male or female may I ask?.
    Maybe he's a bit of both for all we know but regardless I fail to see what that has to do with the price of tea in China.

I think your comments are bang out of order and bordering on trolling. Advising someone to break the law/legal contract isnt on. In any event I cant see anyone taking you seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭The Darkness

So my folks, both retired and in their seventies, have had Sky for years (at least 20) and I recently found out that they're now paying €83 PM for a TV-only, *SD* package of variety + cinema and sports (my father likes to watch a lot rugby and golf), with no Sky Plus or anything like that; and with the same stone-age box that they got when originally connected, which seems to be a total and utter rip-off to me.

It's basically the same package they've always had, with a few tweaks along the way; but Sky never bothered to upgrade them in any way or drop the prices as their other services were introduced and made these obsolete - and indeed have been raising them over the last few years, which is even worse.

I've been reading through some of this monster thread and was hoping for some suggestions as to what can be done about this and what's the best approach to getting a, far, better deal for them? 

So any and all info will be very gratefully received!

Bear in mind that they're very used to the Sky interface and setup/remote etc and so that staying with Sky but getting a better deal is the ideal solution, as I think they'd struggle with something new. Having said that, they do have internet from Virgin, so that could perhaps be used as a bargaining chip.

Also, there's no way they could manage an Android/Kodi/whatever box or anything like that, as they're just nowhere near technically proficient enough unfortunately, so those aren't an option.

Thanks in advance!

Usually comes down to cancelling for a week or so and then signing up again for around half the price for a year.
    Ya, I gathered as much from reading through the thread. Any advice wrt what are the current going rate for deals? 
    They tend to change from year to year and depending on what the time of year is also, from what I can gather.

As far as my folks are concerned, they'd like to keep the sports and get HD, also Sky Plus functionality; but I think that should probably be available on a deal for less than what they're paying now - or would it? 

What's the basic going rate for these things now anyway do people know?

Hah! Just as I thought, a troll who closed his account after stirring it up.

• Advertisement

Seve OB wrote: »
    Usually comes down to cancelling for a week or so and then signing up again for around half the price for a year.

or even just a call to threaten to cancel
    What's the best number to call do you know?

Ya, I gathered as much from reading through the thread. Any advice wrt what are the current going rate for deals? 
    They tend to change from year to year and depending on what the time of year is also, from what I can gather.

As far as my folks are concerned, they'd like to keep the sports and get HD, also Sky Plus functionality; but I think that should probably be available on a deal for less than what they're paying now - or would it? 

First up there's no charge for the + features but HD will now cost you €17 (might be €16) a month but you do get the boxsets with it. The very basic sub is €29.50 and sports will be an additional 40 so full price you are looking at €82 - €83. You need to ring (or the account holder) and just say that they cant afford it and wish to cancel. Squeeze a new Sky+ box and dish out of them as well.

What's the best number to call do you know?
    0818719819 and follow the prompts. You're probably better selecting the cancellation option as it will probably be your best bet at getting some sort of deal but be prepared for a wait and/or being cut off on the odd occasion.

Alternatively you could post about the situation in the Sky Talk to forum and more often than not one of the reps will ask you to PM your name and number and they will call you and either talk directly to you (or whoever the account holder is) or else they may put you on hold for the relevant dept.

Stupid you say. Stupid that it has WORKED 3 TIMES! Stupid you say.Please..

Ya, I was thinking that myself; the least they could do really. What's the likelihood of that actually happening though?

muffler wrote: »

First up there's no charge for the + features but HD will now cost you €17 (might be €16) a month but you do get the boxsets with it. The very basic sub is €29.50 and sports will be an additional 40 so full price you are looking at €82 - €83. You need to ring (or the account holder) and just say that they cant afford it and wish to cancel. Squeeze a new Sky+ box and dish out of them as well.
    Thanks for the responses muffler. Ya. I just checked their site and for a new customer, currently the variety is €39 (does anyone know what the difference is between that and the basic - are the documentary channels included in the basic? My father watches those a lot too), the sports are €20pm (currently half-price for 6 months, then €40pm after that for the next 6), HD is €10 I think, although it wasn't very clear, so I could be wrong and it might be €17pm as you said; which seems pretty expensive - as I definitely remember reading that people earlier on this thread were regularly getting it for €5-€10pm previously as part of other offers/deals.

Anyway, the overall price that I came up with for HD, Variety + Sports is €69 (supposing that I'm right about HD @ €10), a full €14 pm LESS than they're paying now, for SD Variety + Cinema (this is included automatically AFAIK, as my mother said she never asked for it) + Sports, with zero extra functionality - i.e boxsets, sky+ etc.; which is an utter disgrace really - I'm getting the hump now at the very thought of it.

Would definitely need to get a new box too, as the one they have is knackered and is so old as to be stone-age anyway; it barely works as is. But, out of curiosity, why would they need a new dish? Is the one they already have likely to be obsolete also? And are the new ones much better?

Thanks again.

Thanks for the responses muffler. Ya. I just checked their site and for a new customer, currently the variety is €39 (does anyone know what the difference is between that and the basic - are the documentary channels included in the basic? My father watches those a lot too), the sports are €20pm (currently half-price for 6 months, then €40pm after that for the next 6), HD is €10 I think, although it wasn't very clear, so I could be wrong and it might be €17pm as you said; which seems pretty expensive - as I definitely remember reading that people earlier on this thread were regularly getting it for €5-€10pm previously as part of other offers/deals.

Anyway, the overall price that I came up with for HD, Variety + Sports is €69 (supposing that I'm right about HD @ €10), a full €14 pm LESS than they're paying now, for SD Variety + Cinema (this is included automatically AFAIK, as my mother said she never asked for it) + Sports, with zero extra functionality - i.e boxsets, sky+ etc.; which is an utter disgrace really - I'm getting the hump now at the very thought of it.

Would definitely need to get a new box too, as the one they have is knackered and is so old as to be stone-age anyway; it barely works as is. But, out of curiosity, why would they need a new dish? Is the one they already have likely to be obsolete also? And are the new ones much better?

Thanks again.

Generally speaking they shouldn't need a new dish, but it would be assessed by their technican, if you ordered a new box. You should get a box upgrade (Sky+HD, not Q) free. They want everyone connected now.

The basic TV pack does not have documentaries, music or kids channels.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

I've never paid full price for sky since I started following this thread. I'm getting variety, cinema,hd and multiroom ( 2 boxes in total) for ,€85 a month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

muffler wrote: »
    0818719819 and follow the prompts. You're probably better selecting the cancellation option as it will probably be your best bet at getting some sort of deal but be prepared for a wait and/or being cut off on the odd occasion.

Alternatively you could post about the situation in the Sky Talk to forum and more often than not one of the reps will ask you to PM your name and number and they will call you and either talk directly to you (or whoever the account holder is) or else they may put you on hold for the relevant dept.

Its voice activated now, so you just say 'cancel my account' when prompted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭webpal

Current offer has sports and movies at half price for 6 months, anyone know when this will expire? Can't see it on their website. Would like to include it for Christmas if I could.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 633 ✭✭✭waxmelts2000

They rang me earlier too about half price sports but it would be month by month for 6 months no contract E20 per month

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,655 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Just rang to cancel there (partly in the hope of getting a reduction on my 105 euro bill). Not even a hint of a discount offered. Just 7 minutes of mindless chit chat before I eventually managed to get the lot cancelled.
    No point in paying that much with no football to speak of and only one program per week (twin peaks) that I'm interested in.

• Advertisement

Just rang to cancel there (partly in the hope of getting a reduction on my 105 euro bill). Not even a hint of a discount offered. Just 7 minutes of mindless chit chat before I eventually managed to get the lot cancelled.
    No point in paying that much with no football to speak of and only one program per week (twin peaks) that I'm interested in.

June 30th is the end of Sky's financial year, they'll be no deals this month, as they need to maximise their revenues for end of year. Try again in July, they'll be deals a-plenty!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭qxtasybe1nwfh2

Signed up to Sky today. I didn't want the free Tv that they are offering now so asked them what could they do for me without it. I got offered the variety package, HD with box sets and movies for 42.50 for 12 months, 12 month contract also. Sky Q box also. I thought it was a pretty good offer!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭BobbyT28

Signed up to Sky today. I didn't want the free Tv that they are offering now so asked them what could they do for me without it. I got offered the variety package, HD with box sets and movies for 42.50 for 12 months, 12 month contract also. Sky Q box also. I thought it was a pretty good offer!

I got the same offer as you 4-5 weeks back for €39.50

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Just got changed onto a sports/movies package for 6 months for E63.50 a month, no HD included.

Dear enough butand will take a bit of convincing to continue after I change broadband supplier around the same time and Netflix becomes an option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 104 ✭✭ieoin

Kinda off topic, but has anyone managed to do the same thing with eir?
    As in being a current customer, cancelling then signing up as a new customer to avail of a cheaper plan

• Registered Users Posts: 5 twee1984

no offers on my cancellation for q not that I wanted an offer at this time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭kooga

ieoin wrote: »
    Kinda off topic, but has anyone managed to do the same thing with eir?
    As in being a current customer, cancelling then signing up as a new customer to avail of a cheaper plan

I found eir good to deal with when recontracting

on an 18 month contract you should be able to get the tv element free for at least 12 months which I got and I have been on half price sports and movies for the entire contract duration.

due to renew with them at the start of august.

On a separate note, I got a survey from Irish Opinions yesterday about Sky Mobile, and what I think of different packages / prices / handset / sim only etc. Seems like a precursor to an ROI launch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 104 ✭✭ieoin

I'm just looking to leave and rejoin because I am contract free, the new customer offer is much better. However, it seem I cannot because they have my ''information and its the same address''

ieoin wrote: »
    I'm just looking to leave and rejoin because I am contract free, the new customer offer is much better. However, it seem I cannot because they have my ''information and its the same address''

Use a different name (partner or something) Get them to explain that they've just moved in, but you will need different bank account details also. Once first payment has gone through though, you can change that online too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Only

June 30th is the end of Sky's financial year, they'll be no deals this month, as they need to maximise their revenues for end of year. Try again in July, they'll be deals a-plenty!

That's not true - I just got 50% off our package with them.
    I rang and cancelled almost a month ago (cut off was to be tomorrow). They didn't try very hard to keep me when I phoned. Anyways, I kept an eye on my account online - firstly they offered 35% off .. I didn't bite. Then there were no real offers at all showing .. the 35% deal was gone and I thought that was it BUT ... 3 days ago I spotted on my account 50% off - I jumped at it!!
    On the deal it said that it was for those who had cancelled in the past month I think.
    Its a 12month contract but I'm well happy with 520% off for the duration. I think that's the best dea I've ever gotten off them .. last deal I was on was 40% off for 9 months.
    So keep an eye on your account - you never know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭A Law

June is the best time to get deals in my experience. Got 75% off about 3 years ago for 12 months. Everything but movies for 18€!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,353 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Only wrote: »
    That's not true - I just got 50% off our package with them.
    I rang and cancelled almost a month ago (cut off was to be tomorrow). They didn't try very hard to keep me when I phoned. Anyways, I kept an eye on my account online - firstly they offered 35% off .. I didn't bite. Then there were no real offers at all showing .. the 35% deal was gone and I thought that was it BUT ... 3 days ago I spotted on my account 50% off - I jumped at it!!
    On the deal it said that it was for those who had cancelled in the past month I think.
    Its a 12month contract but I'm well happy with 520% off for the duration. I think that's the best dea I've ever gotten off them .. last deal I was on was 40% off for 9 months.
    So keep an eye on your account - you never know.

It's still only 50% off not 520% :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

On a separate note, I got a survey from Irish Opinions yesterday about Sky Mobile, and what I think of different packages / prices / handset / sim only etc. Seems like a precursor to an ROI launch.

I got the same survey. Every time it asked for my opinion on their plans I said Too Expensive":D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Only

emmetkenny wrote: »
    It's still only 50% off not 520% :pac:
    ... an obvious typo:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,929 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I got the same survey. Every time it asked for my opinion on their plans I said Too Expensive":D

But were they though, or are they comparable to offerings from the existing networks here?

Bigger question however is what network they'll be piggy-backing on... if it's 3 I wouldn't bother even if they were FAR cheaper than the rest given the signal problems I've had there and the fact that all the other MVNOs (Virgin, 48 etc) are using the same network - PostPhone is using the exception AFAIK as they use the Vodafone network.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭wolfyboy555

Has anyone updated to Sky Q as existing customer? Was quoted ?180 for 2TB and 2 Mini boxes. Also do you own the box or is it rented like the virgin horizon box?

Has anyone updated to Sky Q as existing customer? Was quoted ?180 for 2TB and 2 Mini boxes. Also do you own the box or is it rented like the virgin horizon box?

Its rented. Free service calls for life, return box if you cancel service

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭danois

Has anyone had any luck in getting a reduction on bill if they cancel/threaten to cancel Sky Q? Looking to get a reduction would prefer not to leave sky but can't afford it now so will have to leave if I don't get an offer. Before I would have gladly just used free channels. Now with SkyQ won't have that option.

If I do have to cancel is it difficult to swap back to the old lnb?

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,735 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Rang and cancelled yesterday. Was immediately offered 40% off no contract.

Gonna push ahead with the cancellation it I think. Plenty of other options out there.

The Sky model is outdated now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Virgin is giving 240 Mbps BB home phone and TV for 49 over 12 months.
    I was looking at BB it as I've sky TV for another few months but it's more cost efficient to have the full package and an overlap of the TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭Damien360

Virgin is giving 240 Mbps BB home phone and TV for 49 over 12 months.
    I was looking at BB it as I've sky TV for another few months but it's more cost efficient to have the full package and an overlap of the TV.

I have virgin BB and phone plus mobile for wife. But the TV package is awful. If you are used to the sky box you won't like the horizon box from virgin. If they sorted that out (and it ain't likely), I would move the lot over.

Recently cancelled sports which I had on an offer of €5 per month as price due to rise. The only offer was sky BB which I have no interest in, particularly when ESB fibre is currently being installed this week in my estate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 119 ✭✭dubal2008

I,m also in Newbridge and are you sure its ESB Fibre

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭Damien360

dubal2008 wrote: »
    I,m also in Newbridge and are you sure its ESB Fibre

Definite. Asked the guys installing it. Not quite finished. Ducting installed all over estate but they said Portuguese guys have to come and install the fibre itself. Called it "blow fibre".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Indestructable

Has anyone ever gotten a deal signing up for the first time - I understand that they have the 1/2 price sale on at the minute but do ye reckon I could get anything more out of them?? Looking at getting original plus sports.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Pinkman

This thread has gone very quiet since it was moved into this sub forum.

My contract is expiring soon. What is the general discount being given to current customers at the moment? The new customer offer of half price for 6 months is pretty awful. usually it's for 12 months or 9 months. I have basic HD boxset package, fibre and multiroom and had been on half price for 9 months full for 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Milky1

I gave 30 days notice to cancel yesterday. They offered me about 15% off full package. No interest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭kindalen

I keep getting 40% off offers to go back.

kindalen wrote: »
    I keep getting 40% off offers to go back.
    Same as that. In fact I got an email to that effect just earlier today.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Pinkman

Is the 40% off a 12 months contract? I've only been offered 20% off the basic package on a 12 month contract. It's ridiculous that I have to cancel to get the 40%. Plus they won't give any multi room discount.

• Advertisement
Advertisement