Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Chinese Big Lie

Options
  • 01-04-2020 6:02pm

So it seems the chatter coming from the US and the UK in recent days is true. The chinese have been fudging the numbers. There is too much coming out at the moment for this not to be true.
    Found this article to be of interest: https://www.the-american-interest.com/2020/03/31/the-chinese-big-lie/

I suppose this then reduces our faith in the WHO as they said China was doing a great job. It also makes containing the virus harder as we don't really know how effective the chine containment was if they are messing with the data.

I tended to believe this was a conspiracy theory but have come to believe that today that the chinese having been messing with the infected/deaths number.

What do my esteemed boardsies think?

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 93 ✭✭Marsden35

You'd have to have been lobotomised to believe the Chinese or Iranian figures.

China has lied every single step of the way and is now using its massive propaganda apparatus to not only appear like the saviours, but to make money from the disaster they lied about. You'll easily spot the CCP agents on forums like this and on Twitter.

And I tell you something, the CCP doesn't feel one iota of guilt, remorse or shame.

Mass casualties to the CCP are water off a duck's back. Bearing in mind Chinese rulers have murdered untold millions without blinking an eye.

Power, dominance and preserving the ruling system are all that matter to the CCP. At any cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

After Korea started to shoot up in cases it was obvious the CCP were not telling the whole truth and the spread in Europe simply re-enforced this. Hubei alone has the same population as Italy, not to mention the virus was covered up by local officials for close to 2 weeks before they began to try to tackle it. All this by the way during Chinese New Year where more people travel around the country than any other time of the year. It's the perfect storm

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Never believe the Chinese imo.

Wish we could just North Korea them. As in restricted travel to and from China. Lock them in and lock the world out.

Oh and the bull**** they fed the WHO who swallowed everything the CCP told them and then regurgitated the bull**** to the rest of the world.

WHO = Chinese megaphone.

https://twitter.com/business/status/1245370023952203786?s=20

No surprise to see George Galloway shilling for the CCP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,213 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Sure no one except its international mouthpiece (WHO) believes them

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,475 ✭✭✭✭banie01

The Chinese showed the WHO exactly what they wanted the WHO to see.

Control the information flow and they control the early narratives.
    That leaves everyone else struggling with an R0 and Morbidity in excess of the Wuhan number, appearing either incompetent or ineffective.
    Whilst the Chinese appear to be managing well and appear to the world as a "leader".
    All while the rest of the world are struggling to contain what is happening.

China are banking a lot of soft power, and even more foreign cash on the back of this.

The mobile phone subscriber number drop in 1st QTR in China points to a fairly extreme event.

Be it people were rounded up and sent for re-education?
    Or there was a drop in subscribers for some reason?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭utyh2ikcq9z76b

Marsden35 wrote: »

Big shock, intelligence services of a country who is having a trade war with China releases negative info. The same service who wrongly declared Iraq had weapons of mass destruction.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

China is a strange place in a global sense.

There is so much to love about it. The people are friendly the food is mostly amazing the culture is interesting and the countryside can be stunning. Other than party officials I’ve not met one unfriendly person there on my few visits.

The government is such a dominant force it’s hard to comprehend it’s strength and ability to rule with an iron fist. But it’s not just the party that’s bad at management. Local government is all messed up too. Look at how they mismanaged the swine flu in pigs to the extent that it decimated the protein food stocks of the whole country and much of the region.

The party have very cleverly crept in to a position where they have major influence over western finance, USA for one is on serious hock that they are unlikely to ever pay out. Other nations too but to lesser extents.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Sure no one except its international mouthpiece (WHO) believes them

Ok so I dont entirely believe the Chinese numbers but I'm also dubious about the timing of this sort of mass propoganda rush today too, just as the scale of the massive mishandling of the US response becomes clear.

Everyone needs to be careful of "Confirmation Bias" (including myself). If you instantly agree with a piece, which doesnt have solid sources and data, then you need to ask why you arent being a tough on this piece as you would be on one you disagree with.

• Advertisement

Big shock, intelligence services of a country who is having a trade war with China releases negative info. The same service who wrongly declared Iraq had weapons of mass destruction.

Hi CCP Gazz, other intelligence agencies also believe your handlers in China are lying scumbags.

DeVore wrote: »
    Ok so I dont entirely believe the Chinese numbers but I'm also dubious about the timing of this sort of mass propoganda rush today too, just as the scale of the massive mishandling of the US response becomes clear.

Everyone needs to be careful of "Confirmation Bias" (including myself). If you instantly agree with a piece, which doesnt have solid sources and data, then you need to ask why you arent being a tough on this piece as you would be on one you disagree with.

That the source of the Info is US/UK is something to keep at the forefront when assessing this.

There have been rumblings for 3 months that the numbers were inaccurate but Trump is on a mission to paint the deaths of an expected minimum of 100k Americans as a win for him in his war against the virus.
    The virus that up until the 17th of march was in his eyes a flu.

He is pushing a narrative that his mitigation strategy is saving lives.
    He can't blame a virus, he can however blame China.

Second hand but, my friend left the UK on March 11th, she is still in quarantine in Shanghai. No symptoms, but anyone arriving from Europe was given 1 month forced quarantine.

If the US, and even here, if we had quarantines from hotzones like italy things might be different.

banie01 wrote: »
    That the source of the Info is US/UK is something to keep at the forefront when assessing this.

There have been rumblings for 3 months that the numbers were inaccurate but Trump is on a mission to paint the deaths of an expected minimum of 100k Americans as a win for him in his war against the virus.
    The virus that up until the 17th of march was in his eyes a flu.

He is pushing a narrative that his mitigation strategy is saving lives.
    He can't blame a virus, he can however blame China.

The reason you aren't seeing every country go public about this is because sadly they're dependent on the Chinese to make the life saving equipment needed to combat the very virus they're responsible for.

The reason you aren't seeing every country go public about this is because sadly they're dependent on the Chinese to make the life saving equipment needed to combat the very virus they're responsible for.

The Chinese aren't responsible for the virus. It originated there, but it wasn't their fault.

Hi CCP Gazz, other intelligence agencies also believe your handlers in China are lying scumbags.

With your new account and frenzied talk......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

LOL

The Chinese aren't responsible for the virus. It originated there, but it wasn't their fault.

Oh, it's definitely their fault.

It's definitely the fault of a modern country still having medieval food hygiene practices that even most of the 3rd world has overcome.

Despite this happening previously, they still insist on eating animals specifically known to carry diseases that can be transmitted to humans.

It's also definitely their fault that they lied about it and tried to cover it up.

It's also their fault that they're still lying about it.

It's also their fault that they fed false information to the WHO.

But I'm sure your CCP pay cheque is on the way for your valiant defence of them.

It's definitely the fault of a modern country still having medieval food hygiene practices that even most of the 3rd world has overcome.

Despite this happening previously, they still insist on eating animals specifically known to carry diseases that can be transmitted to humans.

It's also definitely their fault that they lied about it and tried to cover it up.

This guy is blaming China for the Spanish Flu as well
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=113001011&postcount=803
    But I'm sure your CCP pay cheque is on the way for your valiant defence of them.
    Who knew boards was a hotbed of Chinese Communist Party sleeper cells

I was until recently employed in Telecoms at a fairly high level mainly in Regulatory and Compliance area.

In light of that particular industry experience, articles like this make very interesting reading
    https://www.lightreading.com/asia/china-operators-shed-subscribers-in-saturated-mobile-market/d/d-id/757737

Losing subscribers is par for the course in a saturated market.
    That mainly results in what's known in the industry as churn.
    Subscribers migrate from one provider to another, total market penetration remains fairly constant.

Numbers in a saturated market do not just drop tho.
    Where did the subscribers go?
    It would be a very interesting thought experiment to see what people think happened those numbers.

Multiple subscribers consolidating all their subs?
    Subs being canx?
    Subscribers no longer taking service due to death?
    Subscribers no longer taking service due to some massive event or intervention?

In a Western market context, this makes zero sense.
    In a market where every phone is tied to a state issued ID?
    It's even more perplexing, IMO.

• Advertisement

For the majority, China is a third world country. Only a tiny % of the population have a western style lifestyle.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,213 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Well the WHO cant even say Taiwan.... Or can it.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

Well the WHO cant even say Taiwan.... Or can it.

I bet auld Bruce went out to Taiwan or 2 on after his technical issues too ;)

_Brian wrote: »
    For the majority, China is a third world country. Only a tiny % of the population have a western style lifestyle.

The ruling class are not third world. They have the power to transform China.

They can pick out a dissident out of 1.3 billion people but can't stop people eating civet cat soup? give over.

Oh and most of the potions with exotic and endangered animals are quite expensive and it tends to be the better off that enjoy a bit of Tiger penis for breakfast.

I just wish we could stop the politicking and get to the bottom of this.

The ruling class are not third world. They have the power to transform China.

They can pick out a dissident out of 1.3 billion people but can't stop people eating civet cat soup? give over.

Oh and most of the potions with exotic and endangered animals are quite expensive and it tends to be the better off that enjoy a bit of Tiger penis for breakfast.

It’s a communist dictatorship, improving the lives of citizens isn’t a priority, perhaps not even a goal. Nothin happens if it doesn’t add to gdp

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭tigerboon

So what's the clasified bit in the classified report?? Fudging numbers is hardly the classified bit considering the whole world suspects it anyway.

I just wish we could stop the politicking and get to the bottom of this.

Jesus even club football is all politics now, so that’s not going to happen.

tigerboon wrote: »
    So what's the clasified bit in the classified report?? Fudging numbers is hardly the classified bit considering the whole world suspects it anyway.

No one wants to make an enemy of China just now.

I expect broad action by countries against China once the pandemic is over. A lot of divesting will be going on.

• Advertisement

No one wants to make an enemy of China just now.

I expect broad action by countries against China once the pandemic is over. A lot of divesting will be going on.

It would take decades to get local manufacturing to a position that countries would be comfortable treating China harshly.
    Raw materials and spare parts for near everything comes out of China. A country that pisses them off will find its manufacturing dead.

I expect it will be motions, strongly worded letters and “bringing it up at meetings.

Advertisement