Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mental health and CoVid-19

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

fin12 wrote: »
    Any drive through movie theatres in Cork?

There was one, closed down a year ago becasue the land was wanted for developmeent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Just a small reminder that little things can make all the difference. I’m swamped with working from home and a 5 year old and 18 month old to mind simultaneously.

This evening I took the evening off after the kids were down. I’ll have to work harder tomorrow but I needed it. I took a long leisurely indulgent shower. Tidied my eyebrows, trimmed my hair and curled and blowdried it. Then sat down and played some games and watched tv. No news, no work.

It was bliss. Nothing special or expensive. Just peaceful

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Wanderer19

Just a small reminder that little things can make all the difference. I’m swamped with working from home and a 5 year old and 18 month old to mind simultaneously.

This evening I took the evening off after the kids were down. I’ll have to work harder tomorrow but I needed it. I took a long leisurely indulgent shower. Tidied my eyebrows, trimmed my hair and curled and blowdried it. Then sat down and played some games and watched tv. No news, no work.

It was bliss. Nothing special or expensive. Just peaceful
    Is there no one that could take the kids off your hands for a couple of hours a day? You need to look after yourself too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

They should take that stupid EU flag off the podium.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

To get back on topic:

How is everyone tonight?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,424 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Risteard81 wrote: »
    They should take that stupid EU flag off the podium.

Mod

This is not the appropriate thread for this at all, this is about how people's mental health is holding up as we all try to get through this. There are plenty of other threads you can discuss this on.

Right now for me, while I’m getting used to the idea of staying home, tonight’s announcement was a little stressful. I guess it’s just two weeks and I’ll make the most of being at home and not going out.

The most important thing is to try and get some time outside. A lot of us have gardens. If we are in apartments try and use balconies. Open windows. Open blinds and let as much light stream in as you can.

Make use of whatever outdoor space you have and if you don’t have any, take that short walk every day and make a routine of it. Just put on the headphones with relaxing music, find a nice safe pavement, preferably somewhere with a bit of nature - there’s always somewhere with some decent scenery, even in the most built up areas, and just walk. Take it all in for a while.

I’m being friendly on social media, I’m reaching out to old friends and stuff and I don’t care what people think, I’m just going to ask people how they’re doing, phone people up and say hello and talk crap for a while. We all need it. I’m actually making a big effort with the lads too as I think we’re awful at checking in on each other. I don’t know whether it’s some kind of cultural homophobia or something but, we need to get past it and look after our buds a lot better. People need to talk nonsense and chill out and those stupid communications can mean a lot. I don’t really buy the argument that women are naturally more communicative, I think we bring guys up to bottle stuff up. Just make sure you watch out for it yourself and with your family and friends.

Lift the phone. Ring cousins, friends, old aunties you haven’t spoken to in years.

Also if you’re used to going out for a coffee - bring a flask. Go out and have lunch in the garden, on the balcony or even by the big window.

Just get as much out of the daylight as you can.

If you’re living in a busy household, use the rooms to give yourself quiet time. Use headphones. Go for that walk.

Basically just avoid being cooped up and try to take whatever positives you can pull from this. Maybe it’s a time to read, write, get lost in music or think about anything other than this virus.

I’m also trying to engage with social media more positively - I’m ignoring the politics, the sniping and the nastiness and also the endless corona stories. Instead I’m trying to focus on the more social side of it and RTing and engaging with more interesting, fun stuff. It can be a very dark vortex if you engage with the wrong people and threads.

My point of view at the moment is just do all the distancing, hygiene and practical things I can to minimise risk but beyond that I’m just going to try to let it drift on by. I’ll help where I can and keep busy where I can, but where it’s beyond my control and abilities to control it, I have to just let it go and just deal with whatever it throws at me in the moment and not freak about it.

That’s all I can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,819 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

If ye want to feel a bit better, we're not even allowed out for a run or walk here in Abu Dhabi. I'd just love to go for a walk and stretch the legs properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭theballz

It’s clearly a difficult period, if you are not feeling anxious and an element of despair than you are the odd.

Considering this is having a mental health impact on the entire population, should our national broadcasters make more of an effort to help people?

I am not saying sugar coat the truth, we need to be kept up to date. I mean maybe they should start broadcasting shows to help people cope with the stress?

Ideas like:
    - Meditation
    - Yoga
    - Workouts
    - CBT education

What do you guys think?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭skallywag

You can lots of such material online very easily, e.g. YouTube.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,594 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

skallywag wrote: »
    You can lots of such material online very easily, e.g. YouTube.

Lots of other stuff free now as well.

https://covid19.shanehastings.eu/giveback/

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭GolfNut33

I don't do well at home for any period of time, even at christmas I'm not great. The mind starts to go dark and I slip in to bad place.

If I'm not working I'm either playing golf or out and about with the kids so this really isn't good for me and I'm worried.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

GolfNut33 wrote: »
    I don't do well at home for any period of time, even at christmas I'm not great. The mind starts to go dark and I slip in to bad place.

If I'm not working I'm either playing golf or out and about with the kids so this really isn't good for me and I'm worried.

Same here. I normally have to go out every day otherwise I become unable to leave the house. Holidays set me back too. I’m not sure how I’m ever going to get out again after this.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

theballz wrote: »
    Considering this is having a mental health impact on the entire population, should our national broadcasters make more of an effort to help people?

something cheery like wall to wall cartoons

why they don't show cartoons anymore?? Tom & Jerry, Roadrunner, Daffy Duck, Bugs Bunny, Top Cat, Flinstones, Pink Panther, Felix the Cat

something cheery please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭mouldybiscuits

My social anxiety doesn't seem to be troubling me as much now lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

My social anxiety doesn't seem to be troubling me as much now lol

Introversion is rising like a Phoenix from the ashes

Dundalk, Co. Louth

Introversion is rising like a Phoenix from the ashes

What about us poor auld ambiverts? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^^^^^^^

nice one, just learned a new word

• Advertisement

I just can't sleep tbh.
    Other than that I'm fine

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭blackwave

Xertz wrote: »
    I just can't sleep tbh.
    Other than that I'm fine

Have you tried headspaces sleeping mediations very good for helping to relax.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭DisneyLover

So today is Monday. . I only slept 5 night's last week and Sunday I slept 11-7pm so plan is to get my mask and gloves and go out for a longggg walk. And going to try headspace and reading a book tonight.

I have GAD and I'm just worrying about feicin everything atm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

CBD oil (the proper stuff not the rubbish you buy in retail shops here) is really helping me personally through all of this otherwise my anxiety would be through the roof, i was an advocate of CBD before all this but it's now when im taking more that it's really helping me especially at night, everyone who suffers anxiety should take CBD oil, the proper stuff isn't cheap for a reason but is 100% effective, do some research before buying, realistically there are only around 15/20 brands worldwide worth buying out of thousands.

jonnny68 wrote: »
    CBD oil (the proper stuff not the rubbish you buy in retail shops here) is really helping me personally through all of this otherwise my anxiety would be through the roof, i was an advocate of CBD before all this but it's now when im taking more that it's really helping me especially at night, everyone who suffers anxiety should take CBD oil, the proper stuff isn't cheap for a reason but is 100% effective, do some research before buying, realistically there are only around 15/20 brands worldwide worth buying out of thousands.

I use Celtic Wind which is great but bloody expensive, €100 odd for a small bottle. Any other recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Heighway61

Heighway61 wrote: »
    We are struggling.

I'm not in good health - cancer, heart block, chronic autoimmune disease, chronic progressive neurological condition.

My wife makes between 12 and 21 house calls per day for the HSE. She is terrified she will pass the infection on to me or to her clients (who she has personally got to know). There is no PPE equipment available. She is many years at this job and is hard-nosed and experienced but at night she cries.

It's affecting my eating and my sleep. My autoimmune condition is flaring due to the stress. We are assuming my wife is carrying the virus into the house when she gets home at night and are trying to zealously clean. However, every day we see something new that we should have been doing. If there was somewhere I could isolate myself for the duration of this thing I would do that, but there isn't.

We feel it is just a matter of time.
    One of my wife's clients has tested positive. My wife has been told she won't be tested unless she is showing symptoms and to keep working. Same for home helps who have had contact with this person.

They don't know what they are doing. We're screwed.

I use Celtic Wind which is great but bloody expensive, €100 odd for a small bottle. Any other recommendations?

thats cheap compared to some of the American cbd i use which is by far and away the best you can get in the world, stuff like Nu Leaf Naturals and Pure Kana to name but 2 are the highest quality,and ship to Ireland too.

jonnny68 wrote: »
    thats cheap compared to some of the American cbd i use which is by far and away the best you can get in the world, stuff like Nu Leaf Naturals and Pure Kana to name but 2 are the highest quality,and ship to Ireland too.

This is what I get. I really do find it works well.

https://celticwindcrops.com/products/multi-complex-hemp-cbd-oil-10ml-10-1000mg

yeah ive heard of this brand mate but honestly check out USA CBD oil its in a different league completely to anything else, you pay more but its worth it

• Advertisement

The blueprint for premium CBD oil,they ship to Ireland, if you buy 2 of the 1450mg strength its cheaper and look for discount codes as well

https://nuleafnaturals.com/

Advertisement