Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What MPG are you getting from your vehicle?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

Averaging around 10-12l/100kms long term (24-28mpg), 7.5l/100kms (37mpg) on a long run and around 40l/100kms (7mpg) on track. Once managed 646KMs on a tank, and never want to attempt that again.

2010 GTI, DSG, 335hp-ish.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 SeanaciousD

2016 BMW 330e PHEV

Stage 1 remap to ~350hp

mpg.jpg

Eating a little more fuel than usual as I only recently got the remap (just before the lockdown, and I was testing it out :o) and I'm not doing my daily commute for the time being, which was all electric. My true average which showed around the 2k km mark was exactly 15kWh/100km and 3L/100km (94mpg) Pretty high on the energy consumption side, but most of my daily commute is done at 100-120km/h

I usually get half my electrons for free at work so if you crunch the numbers it costs me a little bit less to run than it did my 2L diesel Astra which got 5.6l/100km.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭at9qu5vp0wcix7

Dartz wrote: »
    I've gotten 10L/100km from the RX8 - once. Driving at midnight, from a hot-start with a following wind on the motorway.

11-13L/100km are more normal on the same journey.

20-22L/100km are more normal around town.

I'd say if you measured the fuel it actually burned - it'd be half that. You could probably condense the exhaust and get a ****ton of petrol back. The smell is utterly eye-watering. The exhausts are jet-black with carbon. Fire comes out the back at high RPM.

1.27 petrol is a dream. The lockdown is the nightmare.

Litres per 100km? What is that in miles per engine re-build? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,395 ✭✭✭Dartz

Litres per 100km? What is that in miles per engine re-build? :pac:

You may laugh, but it's been the most reliable car I've ever own.

It's had an engine swap - but the only time it ever actually quit was when the battery let the smoke out and it didn't even crank is just sort of boiled.

Which of course led to some gloating from an electric car owning relative - who apparently never has to worry about a battery fault.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭99nsr125

Passed 100k

12.0 L per 100km plus 5% for AdBlue ~12.6L per 100km
    or
    22.4mpg

191 Toyota Land Cruiser

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Mr Meanor

I get mad if I get above 3.7 on average and can get down to 3.1 on very long journeys (with passengers).
    Will be changing shortly to an EV, already drive like I have one.

Polo TDI bluemotion

• Registered Users Posts: 6,287 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Golf 1.0 TSI 110hp DSG, 6.78L average a tank over 32,400km so far.

6.71L/100km over 41,000km. I no longer need to drive for food shopping each week so this should come down a little bit. I also moved house 6 months ago and my commute is marginally better on fuel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭dylbert

Averaging 47mpg, 50/50 driving, Superb 2.0tdi 190 DSG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

31 to the gallon, 2016 Leon Cupra. Not stop start.

Best was 34 to the gallon on a 700km spin. It will just as easily go down into the teens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭CIP4

Averaging 57mpg but typical range is 55-61mpg.

Skoda Octavia 17 reg 2.0TDI 150bhp manual.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭Ciano35

Averaging 23mpg

2006 2.5 Impreza sti.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭duffman3833

BMW 320i E90 (170)
    Avg around 33mpg
    mixture of town, country roads and motorway

Updated car
    now in a 10 BMW F10 520d
    getting 42mpg
    was expecting to do more miles but lockdown has changed that. Wouldnt have changed car if i knew covid would close the country

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,652 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

CIP4 wrote: »
    Averaging 57mpg but typical range is 55-61mpg.

Skoda Octavia 17 reg 2.0TDI 150bhp manual.

Have Leon FR same engine.
    Average 50mpg
    Commute is 60km across country pushing on a bit
    The only driving I do in corona times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭Miscreant

2012 Toyota Auris Hybrid: Averaging between 52 and 56MPG (4.5 to 4.2l/100km) on my usual driving. Normally includes trips for grocery shopping, visiting elderly parents and that is pretty much it at the moment. On a long run to Galway (which was done every 2 weeks before the Pandemic), I was averaging 50MPG (4.7l/100km).
    I'm pretty happy with that considering I came from a 2004 Volvo S60 2.0T (remapped to 220bhp) which was struggling to get over 28MPG (8.4l/100km) and costing €120 to fill the tank... It was a very comfortable beast though :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

F30 335d 40mpg but I only do very long journeys and no traffic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I’ve 3 cars so these are the figures for each:

Daily driver; 2010 Mazda 6 2.0 petrol - 32mpg on short runs and 40-42mpg on longer runs.

Winter car: 2006 Subaru Impreza 2.0RX - 30mpg on short runs and close to 40mpg on long runs

Weekend car: 1996 Integra Type R - couldn’t be bothered checking as it spends most of the time in a garage but it’s not too hard to run if driven easy. I’ve seen 36mpg on longer drives but when driven hard can be as low as 12-15mpg.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭Eleven Benevolent Elephants

5 or 6 l per 100 km

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭kermitpwee

Miscreant wrote: »
    2012 Toyota Auris Hybrid: Averaging between 52 and 56MPG (4.5 to 4.2l/100km) I was averaging 50MPG (4.7l/100km).

Those calculations are using US gallons, if you are this side of the pond it will be as follows

(4.7l/100km = 60mpg

4.5-4.2 = 62.7 -67.2 mpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭Miscreant

kermitpwee wrote: »
    Those calculations are using US gallons, if you are this side of the pond it will be as follows

(4.7l/100km = 60mpg

4.5-4.2 = 62.7 -67.2 mpg

I neglected to read the "small print" on the online calculator I used :D:D:D

The MPG figures are correct though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Fabio

Alfa Romeo Giulietta 1.6 JTDM-2

A real mix of driving, from slow town-based stuff, to motorway runs. Returns a consistent 47-50MPG.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,708 ✭✭✭corks finest

kermitpwee wrote: »

(4.7l/100km = 60mpg

4.5-4.2 = 62.7 -67.2 mpg

That will drop as the colder weather kicks in(also a hybrid driver) atm I’m getting 60 mpg Honda Insight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,315 ✭✭✭CoBo55

That will drop as the colder weather kicks in(also a hybrid driver) atm I’m getting 60 mpg Honda Insight

It that from the display? How many km to the tank are you getting? I don’t think Honda even claimed the insight could be that economical it isn’t even a proper hybrid.

CoBo55 wrote: »
    It that from the display? How many km to the tank are you getting? I don’t think Honda even claimed the insight could be that economical it isn’t even a proper hybrid.

Yes, and actually my 2010 one was getting up to 72mpg ( rarely) but always getting 65 , my newer one is heavier with the extras and a little more oomph so getting less, and your wrong ref Hondas claimed mpg ,
    Insight central is where you’ll get all your actual figures ie real driving not a lab

Insight is a hybrid ffs unless I imagined my 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Averaging 52mpg, mixture of driving, mainly city centre or motorway.
    Octavia 2.0 TDI
    I know I probably could get better but life’s too short.

Sweet spot is N roads doing around 80kmph.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Octavia 2.0 TDI

TBH I drive like a granny rarely over 90 km per hour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Tommyboy40

14mpg in town and up to 32 on a motorway run. Mercedes CL500

Octavia 2.0 TDI

Very similar to what I'm getting from the superb.

Insight is a hybrid ffs unless I imagined my 2

A little less of the cursing if you don't mind, and yes you are imagining it if you think the insight is a proper hybrid. It has a puny motor between the engine and gearbox it's more a mild toy hybrid, duke had, maybe still has one and he was disappointed with the fuel economy You still didn't tell me what km it gets from a full tank etc.

• Advertisement

Very similar to what I'm getting from the superb.

Yes, I’ve often heard of bigger cars with the same engine getting better mpg.

I’m putting it down to driver but even when trying I can’t get 70mpg for example.

I’m still happy though as it’s well over 30% more efficient than my petrol Civic was on the same driving - plus the fuel is approx 8% cheaper, and the tax is 30% the cost of the Civic.

I’m putting it down to driver but even when trying I can’t get 70mpg for example.

I’m still happy though as it’s well over 30% more efficient than my petrol Civic was on the same driving - plus the fuel is approx 8% cheaper, and the tax is 30% the cost of the Civic.

I can get 60+ from the Superb on my work commute, M1 and M50, during the summer it’s pushing 65mpg.

I did see 70 4.0/100 once on a leisurely drive around Kerry confirming what you say, 80 on N roads gives great returns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Wailin

Before lockdown about 32mpg, now 26-27 with the short 'commutes'.

dylbert wrote: »
    I can get 60+ from the Superb on my work commute, M1 and M50, during the summer it’s pushing 65mpg.

What sort of speed would you be doing? I can get into the 60s if i take it handy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭at9qu5vp0wcix7

Mr Meanor wrote: »
    I get mad if I get above 3.7 on average and can get down to 3.1 on very long journeys (with passengers).
    Will be changing shortly to an EV, already drive like I have one.

Polo TDI bluemotion

Sorry, but if you are getting this fuel efficiency, what is the incentive for switching to a much more expensive EV? The cost of fitting a charging point to your house and the extra 10k the the EV costs will keep you going on fuel for a lifetime.

• Advertisement

What sort of speed would you be doing? I can get into the 60s if i take it handy.

I find I get the best mpg on my journey home, taking N roads first for about 10 minutes at 70kph ish, then the car has warmed up a bit when I get to the M50, 100kph on M50, then a short 120kph stretch on the M1, then back onto N roads for a bit doing less than 80kph.

I can only get that kind of mpg taking it very handy and on warm days, I also think my journey home ihas more down hills because my mpg is always higher going to work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

Superb has sightly longer gearing over the octy which helps at higher speeds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

28-31mpg normally, have seen as high as 37mpg crossing the country though.
    These are calculated figures because the car likes to say 50-60mpg 😂

280bhp Mk1 Octavia RS

dylbert wrote: »

Superb

Tommyboy40 wrote: »
    14mpg in town and up to 32 on a motorway run. Mercedes CL500

Feck

• Advertisement

A little less of the cursing if you don't mind, and yes you are imagining it if you think the insight is a proper hybrid. It has a puny motor between the engine and gearbox it's more a mild toy hybrid, duke had, maybe still has one and he was disappointed with the fuel economy You still didn't tell me what km it gets from a full tank etc.

I’m happy enough with my 60 mpg, automatic all the extras , cheap and cheerful, does me , also have ladders up , loads of room , Uber reliable, oh and nearly forgot, there’s another FFS for ya kid

I’m happy enough with my 60 mpg, automatic all the extras , cheap and cheerful, does me , also have ladders up , loads of room , Uber reliable, oh and nearly forgot, there’s another FFS for ya kid

What km does it do to a tank?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

61.1 mpg Meath - Kerry in f30 320d.

What km does it do to a tank?

I’m getting on average 60 depending on my driving obviously, think you’ll have to go into the forum I advised previously for all the technical information (Insight Central)
    Most insight drivers around the world are: have been on it, believe me hypermiling etc and carefull driving produces more than 65 mpg( imperial)

I did see 70 4.0/100 once on a leisurely drive around Kerry confirming what you say, 80 on N roads gives great returns.

All down to weather, drivers right foot and driving habit

I’m getting on average 60 depending on my driving obviously, think you’ll have to go into the forum I advised previously for all the technical information (Insight Central)
    Most insight drivers around the world are: have been on it, believe me hypermiling etc and carefull driving produces more than 65 mpg( imperial)

I get 1100 km to the tank in the superb, how many km do you get? Tis like ministers question time here..

All down to weather, drivers right foot and driving habit

Ya think? Was that nugget of knowledge on the insight forum too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

keep it light its only a thread about mpg

Through my motoring history:
    somewhere over 40mpg in a car with a broken fuel gauge 1.2 litre
    48mpg 1.2 litre
    35mpg in 1.3 litre
    35mpg in 1.3 litre
    27mpg in 2 litre
    25mpg in 2.5 litre
    45mpg in a 1.2 litre
    25mpg in 2.5 litre
    4.8l/100km in a diesel 58.5mpg
    4.8l/100km in a diesel 58.5mpg
    17 to 18kw/100km in an electric and the next one should be similar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Current long term average in the X2 is 5.2L/100km - that's 54.32mpg in old money, and I'm just approaching 7,900km in total on the car (was 50km on the clock when I collected it).

I did have it down to 4.9 when i was classed as more essential than most other people and the roads were empty. Went up to 5.0 when first lock down finished, and is now up to 5.2 due to either sitting in traffic due to a checkpoint, or (more often) taking back roads to avoid the huge queue to get off the motorway.

Less than 1km each way total that isn't decent R road or motorway - total commute 48km each way.

• Advertisement
Advertisement