Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What MPG are you getting from your vehicle?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,388 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

As an aside, you’d have to be driving a Corolla very handy to get that mpg. They prefer lower speeds. Fair play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Crock Rock

Wibbs wrote: »
    Don't feed it C. ;)

Don't feed what?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭Immortal Starlight

Short journey: 32mpg
    Long journey: 39mpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Crock Rock

Short journey: 32mpg
    Long journey: 39mpg

Does the overall length of the journey affect fuel consumption?

I though it was moreso speed, ie, motorway versus urban driving

Crock Rock wrote: »
    Does the overall length of the journey affect fuel consumption?

I though it was moreso speed, ie, motorway versus urban driving

Yes that's what I mean really. A short journey of around 20 miles at around the same speed gives me less mpg than a longer more varied journey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Crock Rock wrote: »
    6l/100km

Why are people using mpg? We're a metric country.
    The last bits of automotive imperialism were abolished in 2005 and some simpletons are still holding onto them.

I'm sure when you go to the pub you ask them for 568.261 mls of your favourite beer instead of a pint, or when you're telling the shop your jean size you tell them you've got a 81.28 cm as opposed to a 32 inch waist:)?

FYI car wheel sizes are still measured in inches everywhere in the world. BMW actually tried to bring in metric sized wheels in the 80s and quickly abandoned it, and nobody has bothered since.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭passatman86

7.1L/100klms
    Very low 6's on the motorway
    2010 avensis 2.0 diesel
    Mostly city driving
    I only need a petrol to be honest but have the car nearly 5 years

Yes that's what I mean really. A short journey of around 20 miles at around the same speed gives me less mpg than a longer more varied journey.

That's normal, car engines use more fuel when cold, the first few miles will be with a cold engine when consumption is higher. It's worse if the engine is large, because they take much longer to warm up than smaller engines so not only are you suffering from increased fuel consumption for buying a big engine, you also have more time with the engine not being fully warmed up (on the flip side, they also stay warmer for much longer than a small engine, the temperature gauge on a small three cylinder engine could be completely cold after 90 minutes, a six or eight cylinder engine might not go back to cold for over four hours, so in that situation the larger engine is actually going to use relatively less fuel and of course it's saving a lot of engine wear because the warm up process does not have to be repeated as often as it does in a smaller engine with fewer cylinders).

That's normal, car engines use more fuel when cold, the first few miles will be with a cold engine when consumption is higher. It's worse if the engine is large, because they take much longer to warm up than smaller engines so not only are you suffering from increased fuel consumption for buying a big engine, you also have more time with the engine not being fully warmed up (on the flip side, they also stay warmer for much longer than a small engine, the temperature gauge on a small three cylinder engine could be completely cold after 90 minutes, a six or eight cylinder engine might not go back to cold for over four hours, so in that situation the larger engine is actually going to use relatively less fuel and of course it's saving a lot of engine wear because the warm up process does not have to be repeated as often as it does in a smaller engine with fewer cylinders).

My engine is a 3 litre diesel. Iv an X5 40d so my mpg isn't too bad I guess.

My engine is a 3 litre diesel. Iv an X5 40d so my mpg isn't too bad I guess.

Diesels are worse again than petrols for the time it takes to warm up (it's also one of the reasons they are more efficient). Nice car though, and good to get one with a proper engine with a bit of oomph in it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

4.9l/100km on average. 181 Volkswagen Golf 1.6 diesel Highline.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭TeaPot918

Average is sitting at 31.2MPG
    Can get 40ish at 120kph on ECO pro mode though.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭F00t13f4n

Best was 3.75 l/100km.
    Average over 137k km is 4.19 l/100km.

2015 Civic diesel

44mpg. 1.5 diesel Ford loaded to the bollocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭extremehalo

LL9UKFr.jpg
    saxh0nZ.jpg
    UAnssqI.jpg
    Last tank was 34mpg. Probably it's best. Worst was about 9mpg equalled about 80km from the tank :0

What app is this? Fuelio?

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭extremehalo

What app is this? Fuelio?

Found it Drivvo

• Registered Users Posts: 8,822 ✭✭✭CoBo55

F00t13f4n wrote: »
    Best was 3.75 l/100km.
    Average over 137k km is 4.19 l/100km.

2015 Civic diesel

Is that the 1.3? They're supposed to be unbelievable on diesel. I'm getting 5.5 average over 22,000 km 191 2 litre superb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

50mpg 12 2.0 TDCI Mondeo. About 800 miles from a full 75 litre tank.

I put in some Redex on my last fill and it went down dramatically, only got about 720 miles from a full tank. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭skodacb

17 Octavia vRS diesel. 26,000 miles on the clock.

50mpg at 75-80mph on the motorways.

35-37mpg when driving in town.

The lowest I've gotten her is 22mpg on the autobahn.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,896 ✭✭✭selectamatic

I've gotten 1,000 miles to a tank out of my 99 b5 a4 1.9tdi a couple of times, driving like an absolute granny just to see could I do it.

62 litre tank in it, filled to the brim. Roughly 72.5mpg.

110bhp or 90bhp?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,639 ✭✭✭corks finest

60-65 2012 Honda insight hybrid
    My old 2010 insight made 70 easyyyyyyyy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Whocare

Vw cc 2013 2.0tdi on run to Dublin from cork on board display is saying 61.3 that going 125km on motorway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭99nsr125

191 Toyota Land Cruiser
    2.8 Diesel with AdBlue

11.5/100km = ~ 24mpg

with AdBlue at typicall 10% ratio
    12.7/100km = ~ 22mpg

That's averaged over 60,000km

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

2011 Citroen C4 Grand Picasso, 1.6 HDI EGS semi automatic gearbox, had it for nearly 2 years now, does a real mix of local and long distance trips, and it's averaging 6.2L/100Km, which for a fairly large vehicle is not too bad. Got it for silly money out of the UK, the VRT was more than the car and going over with a trailer to get it, it needed a clutch, and so far, I can't complain, the only thing that's upset me in close on 2 years was an injector failure a few weeks ago.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Adblue is an exhaust additive not a fuel additive though?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,388 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

skodacb wrote: »
    17 Octavia vRS diesel. 26,000 miles on the clock.

50mpg at 75-80mph on the motorways.

35-37mpg when driving in town.

The lowest I've gotten her is 22mpg on the autobahn.

15 Octavia 2.0 150

Pretty much the same on the motorway but add about 5mpg to the town driving.

Sweet spot for mpg is around 80km/h. Dramatically goes up if you change 130 for 110

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

23 mpg or 10.2l/100km.

09 325i. It loves the petrol. And injectors. And fuel pumps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 industry accountant

110bhp or 90bhp?

110 afn but remapped, never got it tested but presuming at least 140bhp.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,822 ✭✭✭CoBo55

99nsr125 wrote: »
    191 Toyota Land Cruiser
    2.8 Diesel with AdBlue

11.5/100km = ~ 24mpg

with AdBlue at typicall 10% ratio
    12.7/100km = ~ 22mpg

That's averaged over 60,000km

Are you putting adblue directly into the fuel? That mental. Mpg figures are typical Toyota. The family avensis is showing LTA of 8.2L/100. 142 2 litre diesel. She doesn't mind the odd drop of Paddy's Day diesel occasionally...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭99nsr125

Adblue is an exhaust additive not a fuel additive though?

AdBlue is consumed as you drive

It won't go without and it's not free either

I need Diesel and Adblue for moition so to exclude
    AdBlue and it's cost would skew running cost

Advertisement