Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it just me or have SF vanished?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Runaways wrote: »
    The refusal to take questions now is worrying.
    Where even are they? You can piss and moan about SF in the papers or on radio.

FG and Leo in particular nowhere to be seen

If you don’t see he difference between appallingly timed photo ops and being seen to lead and informing and leveling with the country I can’t help you.

Comedy gold right there.
    Keep it up lads, we all need a bit of humour in these times, and this thread delivers plenty. :D

Civil and human right are only available to some it seems.

Yes, SF/PIRA are all into human rights today. Pity they murdered a few thousand people recently though.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,091 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

markodaly wrote: »
    Yes, SF/PIRA are all into human rights today. Pity they murdered a few thousand people recently though.

That's what they were fighting for. Like your recent ancestors fought for, for you and sadly had to do the same things. Sanitise how your rights and freedoms were achieved all you want...that is just funny to see happening.

That's why the people of NI reward SF. No doubt they will stop doing that if SF turn into the like of FF or FG.

That's what they were fighting for.

They were fighting for a UI, something that they didn't achieve. So, all those dead were for nothing.

That's why the people of NI reward SF..

SF vote share in the North has been dropping for quite a few years now. I guess they are becoming too like FF and FG :pac::eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

Comedy gold right there.
    Keep it up lads, we all need a bit of humour in these times, and this thread delivers plenty. :D

Know what is truly comical?
    You lot mindlessly falling for Leo’s every PR stunt.
    He’s going back to be a GP. ffs give me strength. That is actual comedy.
    Wish I’d been here for the defense of the letter to Kylie. I’m sure yis had a field day with that one.

*correction. He’s doing assessments by phone.

One day a week.

Don’t we have enough staged photos of him on the phone? Laughable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

I don’t believe for an instant that SF haven’t been just as active in pursuing coalition forming options over the last few weeks as FFG. The difference is that the media are openly hostile towards them and treat FFG as the “presumptive” coalition parties with disproportionately more coverage.

The reason you think SF are doing nothing is because the media aren’t reporting on them doing anything. No more, no less. The election campaign and its immediate aftermath should have proven to anyone in any doubt that the media in Ireland are, by and large, just as hostile towards SF as the political establishment.

I think what does them no favours is there wasn't ever the numbers but also no other party has come out as potential partners.

Now that's on the others as much as SF, but for all the talk of forming a "left block" it seems nothing has happened.

The SDs come out and say they don't go in with FG or FF, will they go in with SF? Why not come out and confirm it? Same with the Greens, Labour etc.

Feels like all the potential partners want to be opposition only. A month plus on and no block formed at all.

I voted SD, their behaviour since means I won't be going near them again, seem to have no interest in governing

I think what does them no favours is there wasn't ever the numbers but also no other party has come out as potential partners.

Now that's on the others as much as SF, but for all the talk of forming a "left block" it seems nothing has happened.

The SDs come out and say they don't go in with FG or FF, will they go in with SF? Why not come out and confirm it? Same with the Greens, Labour etc.

Feels like all the potential partners want to be opposition only. A month plus on and no block formed at all.

I voted SD, there behaviour since means I won't be going near them again, seem to have no interest in governing

I went with SD too and same as yourself. Can’t figure out what they’re about currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Sultan_of_Ping

Wish I’d been here for the defense of the letter to Kylie. I’m sure yis had a field day with that one.

One day a week.

Well that means some people, a very few, will get seen that bit quicker - or maybe it helps free up another doctor to go work somewhere closer to where the clinical needs relating to Covid-19 infections are greater, it's no bad thing.

Somehow, I reckon if Leo came out said "f&ck it, I'm off" and grabbed some scrubs and started doing 96 hour weeks in an ED, the same people criticsing him for doing this would be criticising him for abandoning his role as Taoiseach.

https://twitter.com/holland_tom/status/1247042027113586688?s=20

It's clear you can never please everyone.

For years people were being berated in an effort to get Leo out of the Taoiseachs office.
    Now we have him taking on the role of a front line worker and people are upset is not in the Taoiseach's office.

One day a week.

So, just to be clear, Varadkar re-registering as a doctor to do some assessments = PR stunt

Doherty taking to Facebook to highlight his wife's return to nursing (fair play to her, btw) = Not a PR stunt.

508496.JPG

Is that about right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,176 ✭✭✭Gavlor

The plaintive and blatant lies ye folk expect to get away with. Just pathetic. Here she is saying she was withdrawing because she had symptoms. 26th March.

https://www.irishnews.com/news/republicofirelandnews/2020/03/26/news/sinn-fein-leader-mary-lou-mcdonald-feeling-unwell-1880405/

The fact that none of her party colleagues are deemed capable enough to take her place in the media speaks volumes. The worst crisis to hit this country since 1938 and the second biggest party have gone completely underground. It doesn’t inspire confidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

I went with SD too and same as yourself. Can’t figure out what they’re about currently.
    Led by a couple of whingers, one of whom was in a Ministerial position but couldnt hack it.
    Now their best policy is sit on their arses and criticise others who are doing their best

Gavlor wrote: »
    The fact that none of her party colleagues are deemed capable enough to take her place in the media speaks volumes. The worst crisis to hit this country since 1938 and the second biggest party have gone completely underground. It doesn’t inspire confidence.

Seriously funny. That really is.

Ah now francie she posted the videos herself at the time , her kids go to Scoil Cathriana where the first case was , she was the only parent to self isolate at the time , he new one is for a head cold

Didn't have a clue what you were on about.

How is a TD's 'wife' going back to work comaprable to the Taoiseach doing ONE shift a week?

Like seriously, arranging for the Taoiseach to do that shift will take up more time for HSE people than it will add.

Well that means some people, a very few, will get seen that bit quicker - or maybe it helps free up another doctor to go work somewhere closer to where the clinical needs relating to Covid-19 infections are greater, it's no bad thing.

Somehow, I reckon if Leo came out said "f&ck it, I'm off" and grabbed some scrubs and started doing 96 hour weeks in an ED, the same people criticsing him for doing this would be criticising him for abandoning his role as Taoiseach.

https://twitter.com/holland_tom/status/1247042027113586688?s=20

Have to agree there. He’d get nothing but crap no matter what he does. Comes with the role I guess but he’s more despised within his own party In grass roots than without. That’s saying something.
    Personally just nothing is sincere about the man for my view. It’s all optics and photo ops. That just isn’t leadership. And he’s a bit of a cvnt in person by most accounts but that gets you to the top in this world.

So, just to be clear, Varadkar re-registering as a doctor to do some assessments = PR stunt

Doherty taking to Facebook to highlight his wife's return to nursing (fair play to her, btw) = Not a PR stunt.

508496.JPG

Is that about right?

I personally didn’t see that tbh.

They were fighting for a UI, something that they didn't achieve. So, all those dead were for nothing.

Says who? The fight went on after the conflict...it is still on. Why even the Taoiseach s now talking about it. The party fighting for it most is the most popular in the land.

SF vote share in the North has been dropping for quite a few years now. I guess they are becoming too like FF and FG :pac::eek:

Yes, the slings and arrows of political fortune...still quite a gulf to the contender though, would you not say Mark?

Gavlor wrote: »

I don't think that's how it works in SF - they don't need to replace her or have a stand-in because she's not really in charge.

She signed a statement stating that “in all matters pertaining to the duties and functions of an elected representative, I will be guided by and hold myself amenable to all directions and instructions issued to me by An Ard Chomhairle of Sinn Féin”.

All the elected reps did - so the ard comhairle, not McDonald run the show, and unless the entire ard comhairle is out of commission then no replacement is required.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Its a shame their local candidate is decent and is involved at a local level but honestly what is the point of them

I personally didn’t see that tbh.

So is it a PR stunt?

Doherty didn't have to publish details on his FB account, the press didn't door-step him - he proactively published it.

If, as you say, Varadkar's re-registering as a doctor is a PR stunt - is this not in the same category?

• Advertisement

Its a shame their local candidate is decent and is involved at a local level but honestly what is the point of them

Yeah my local one is Gary Gannon and he’s genuinely good feet on the ground in the area and always can be contacted and responds promptly. I hope they grow but right now I don’t get it.

Have to agree there. He’d get nothing but crap no matter what he does. Comes with the role I guess but he’s more despised within his own party In grass roots than without. That’s saying something.
    Personally just nothing is sincere about the man for my view. It’s all optics and photo ops. That just isn’t leadership. And he’s a bit of a cvnt in person by most accounts but that gets you to the top in this world.

So you accept second/third hand information about someone and decide that's their character?

Maybe it's time to step outside the echo-chamber.

And for the record, as much as despise McDonald, Doherty et al for what and who they support, I don't doubt for a minute that they are decent people, good parents and supportive spouses - whatever deep and fundamental political differences may exist, I'm not sure referring to someone as you have is warranted, especially in the absence of any firsthand experience of them.

I don't think that's how it works in SF - they don't need to replace her or have a stand-in because she's not really in charge.

She signed a statement stating that “in all matters pertaining to the duties and functions of an elected representative, I will be guided by and hold myself amenable to all directions and instructions issued to me by An Ard Chomhairle of Sinn Féin”.

All the elected reps did - so the ard comhairle, not McDonald run the show, and unless the entire ard comhairle is out of commission then no replacement is required.

Did you guys not embarrass yourself enough with that one before the election.
    Didn't somebody show that FF and others take the exact same type of pledge?

Isn't O'Cuiv threatening to use the Ard COmhairle to overrule the front bench?

So is it a PR stunt?

Doherty didn't have to publish details on his FB account, the press didn't door-step him - he proactively published it.

If, as you say, Varadkar's re-registering as a doctor is a PR stunt - is this not in the same category?

Somebody posting about his wife on FB is equivalent to the major story this was?? You are having a laugh here?
    :D:D:D

Seriously funny. That really is.

Have they all got the virus?

David cullinane has been muted since his little post election sing song.

P. Doherty has been very quiet and the majority of the remainder are failed county councillors so I’d expect nothing else!

They still require a media facing figure of authority.

Somebody posting about his wife on FB is equivalent to the major story this was?? You are having a laugh here?
    :D:D:D

Ok, it didn't make the Irish Times but it still got coverage in the national press....

508504.JPG

Still unclear how Varadkar re-registering is a PR stunt, but Doherty taking to FB to express his deserved admiration for his spouse isn't?

Ok, it didn't make the Irish Times but it still got coverage in the national press....

508504.JPG

Still unclear how Varadkar re-registering is a PR stunt, but Doherty taking to FB to express his deserved admiration for his spouse isn't?

Eh.....Leo is a known PR addict...has been pilloried many times before for frivolous and vanity led stunts? Has had to be stopped from wasting millions on it?

The other guy posted on FB and it was picked up by a couple of newspapers that his wife was going back into a 'full time' role.

Eh.....Leo is a known PR addict...has been pilloried many times before for frivolous and vanity led stunts? Has had to be stopped from wasting millions on it?

The other guy posted on FB and it was picked up by a couple of newspapers that his wife was going back into a 'full time' role.

Not answering the question though, is it?

Is Doherty engaging in a bit of PR-stuntery himself?

And as for your statement "Leo is a known PR addict" - is he? As you would hold others to a certain standard, perhaps you'll not be duplicitous now and be good enough to post a source for that statement?

Or is the evidence for his addiction filed with the evidence for Adams' non-membership of the IRA?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Ridiculous that anyone could think the two matters are comparable.

Leo is addicted to seeing himself in the papers.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement