Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philips Hue FAQ

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Yeah, that’s a fairly decent price per bulb with a hub thrown in...

Got these(GU10) and they are 250 lumen then bought one more but did not check and this was 350 Lumen and different size DOH!!! Mate is a spark and pointed this out and what I might see in regards to second delay coming on and shade of white

Anywho deal with that later

The Hue app can only find the 350 lumen and not the others. Is the only other way of trying to find them putting in a serial number? They where a B to get it as held in with clip and fittings (not put in by us but by previous owners) not the 'correct' size but they do

I don't want to take them out again and get the serial numbers or is this the only way of Hub app finding them?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

See they’re launching a new gradient light strip (among other things). https://www.facebook.com/309473069184584/posts/2272247379573800/?vh=e&extid=zTSYjU8LM23v8POU

• Registered Users Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭irelandrover

OU812 wrote: »
    See they’re launching a new gradient light strip (among other things). https://www.facebook.com/309473069184584/posts/2272247379573800/?vh=e&extid=zTSYjU8LM23v8POU

For now the gradient lighting only works with entertainment areas. So you can't utilize it in a scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Irish_peppa

A little interesting tit bit of information I noticed re hue color and running costs.
    I have a power meter plug and when the hue bulbs runs on white it takes in the full 8.5 watts, but if you run the color over to a soft glow even on the same brightness setting the power factor drops down to between 2 and 3 watts. Handy if you are using them in a nightlight setting like a hallway. So you can cut your energy costs substantially with the color adjustment. I assume there are way more white leds / more powerful white ones on the circuit board.
    I have the bulbs now set to a nice golden color for my night lights so they are only using 2.9 watts per bulb. Still give off great light.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Stupid question time, what is the difference between these Philips Hue bulbs (except the 10 Euro in price :pac:)

Philips Hue E27 White Ambience Single Lamp - White | 929002216901
    Philips Hue E27 White Single Lamp - White

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,898 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

White are just that...... white (a warm white actually)
    White Ambiance do all whites, so warm whites to colder blueish whites and everything in-between.

See the colour scale on the box...

White Only;
    527013.png

White Ambiance;
    527014.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Cheers Andy, would never have seen that!

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭rodneytrotter15

Hi, can someone tell me from the pics if this pack includes the V1 or V2 bridge and also if possible what version of GU 10 this would contain. Seems like an OK price ? Just copped the V1 bridge is round so just wondering about the GU 10 version now

https://www.johnlewis.com/philips-hue-white-and-colour-ambiance-wireless-lighting-led-starter-kit-with-3-gu10-bulbs-with-bluetooth-bridge/p4841546?sku=238458351&s_afcid=af_137991&tmad=c&awc=1203_1600952998_6e2df8acab3aa2f3cbe77abda2ecb95e&tmcampid=48

Also this seems like a good price for a bridge albeit a French one. Can I just swap the plug and use here ?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B016151IPI/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1

The John Lewis set is teh most recent version of teh bridge, as well as the GU10 colour bulbs.

The Bridge usually has an EU & UK adaptor with it, which can easily be switched on the plug depending on where you are.

The John Lewis set is teh most recent version of teh bridge, as well as the GU10 colour bulbs.

The Bridge usually has an EU & UK adaptor with it, which can easily be switched on the plug depending on where you are.

Ta, just ordered the kit from John Lewis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭maxamillius

Bought the below GU10 from Ali express 3 weeks ago, delivered yesterday.

I have hue all over my house but decided to try these out as they are ridiculously cheaper than hue GU10.

Very happy with the colour output and also easier to connect to hue app than hue lights.

I got these (120 degrees)

€ 16,96 51%OFF | ZIGBEE smart home LED gu10 bulb RGB+CCT color change 5W smart led spotlight AC100-240V led dual white light work with echo plus
    https://a.aliexpress.com/_dZNzE0G

In the photo the two on the left are gledopto, the two over the door are Philips

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

Bought the below GU10 from Ali express 3 weeks ago, delivered yesterday.

I have hue all over my house but decided to try these out as they are ridiculously cheaper than hue GU10.

Very happy with the colour output and also easier to connect to hue app than hue lights.

I got these (120 degrees)

€ 16,96 51%OFF | ZIGBEE smart home LED gu10 bulb RGB+CCT color change 5W smart led spotlight AC100-240V led dual white light work with echo plus
    https://a.aliexpress.com/_dZNzE0G

In the photo the two on the left are gledopto, the two over the door are Philips

Do they do all the same things the hue does?

OU812 wrote: »
    Do they do all the same things the hue does?

Exact same as hue

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭acalmenvoy

Ta, just ordered the kit from John Lewis

Do John Lewis deliver to Ireland or is it a parcel motel jobie?

acalmenvoy wrote: »
    Do John Lewis deliver to Ireland or is it a parcel motel jobie?

Parcel Motel or similar effort. I used Address Pal

Exact same as hue

I'd consigned myself to having to spend a nice amount over the next few months kitting out the house with Hue's. With these I could do it all straight away. Not doubting you Maxamillius but would be interested in hearing from anyone else that has these..how are they for retaining connection etc, from the pics the quality of light seems decent so I'm not too worried regarding that..

I'd consigned myself to having to spend a nice amount over the next few months kitting out the house with Hue's. With these I could do it all straight away. Not doubting you Maxamillius but would be interested in hearing from anyone else that has these..how are they for retaining connection etc, from the pics the quality of light seems decent so I'm not too worried regarding that..

Don't forget to check Amazon on an almost daily basis for deals on bulbs, 3 for 2's etc..... Isn't Black Friday coming up soon enough? They usually do the starter kits for around £90

I filled up the entire house 50+ bulbs over about a 4 year period, usually* buying the bulbs in deals.

*except for the 10 GU10 colour bulbs in my kitchen the last 3 years, I paid full fcuking whack £50 per bulb for them......

Don't forget to check Amazon on an almost daily basis for deals on bulbs, 3 for 2's etc..... Isn't Black Friday coming up soon enough? They usually do the starter kits for around £90

I filled up the entire house 50+ bulbs over about a 4 year period, usually* buying the bulbs in deals.

*except for the 10 GU10 colour bulbs in my kitchen the last 3 years, I paid full fcuking whack £50 per bulb for them......

I've a few alerts created on Camelx3. Will see what pops up on Prime Day and Black Friday as well. I've a hub, sensor, 3 GU10's and two colour bayonnet on the way so that will keep me busy for a bit.

I’ll keep you posted over the next few week, as I said I have hue everywhere else but for the price these weee definitely worth a try,

So far so good, light output is excellent, so much so that it actually shows up the two hue bulbs at the front door,they are not as vibrant.

Given the choice I’d stuck mainly with hue but for certain areas these are perfectly fine, at least than half the price of Philips gu10

Back again. Just chatting to the electrician here and wondering if there is any clever way of hiding the socket and plug on the V4 lightstrips under kitchen units, I wont have enough of a drop under the top units to hide the socket and hue plug. It's an L shaped kitchen 2.5 * 2.7 metres. I figure I'll need one 2m and 2 x 1m lightstrips. So would need to hide 3 plugs in total. Need to run the 2 x 1m as the hob/extractor will be in the way at the midpoint.

Going to fit the socket and plug under the kicker board but would need the power cord to be at least 1.5 metres. Can't find the exact measurement online, can anyone tell me the length of it, please ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Back again. Just chatting to the electrician here and wondering if there is any clever way of hiding the socket and plug on the V4 lightstrips under kitchen units, I wont have enough of a drop under the top units to hide the socket and hue plug. It's an L shaped kitchen 2.5 * 2.7 metres. I figure I'll need one 2m and 2 x 1m lightstrips. So would need to hide 3 plugs in total. Need to run the 2 x 1m as the hob/extractor will be in the way at the midpoint.

Going to fit the socket and plug under the kicker board but would need the power cord to be at least 1.5 metres. Can't find the exact measurement online, can anyone tell me the length of it, please ?

Get extensions if possible you could run that way and cut down on plugs needed.... You can buy made up of secondary sellers on Amazon or eBay

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Replaced the batteries in 3 sensors. Not bad considering I ordered them in Dec 2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭djdunny

Has anyone here ever encountered an issue with the bulbs turning pink/purple when they should be white? I’ve selected the preset whites from the Hue app but for some reason I can only get a cold white. Any attempt to create a warm white the bulb will turn pinkish.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

Does anyone have experience using IKEA tradfri switches with the hue ecosystem?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

Alkers wrote: »
    Does anyone have experience using IKEA tradfri switches with the hue ecosystem?

Just setup their button switch with my kitchen lights, bit of a faff but no issue. The switches are only 6e or 10e with z bulb which they also sell for a tenner

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Rew wrote: »
    Hue outdoor Lily spot light leaked after 18 months, I have started the warranty process with Hue will be interesting to see how they deal with it. Very slow so far.

Replacement arrived last week FYI.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

Any recommendations for zigbee compatible smart plugs. Looking for 4 of them for Christmas lights.
    Hue version are at least €120 for 4 and Innr are looking like roughly €90 for 4.

Any other people would recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭newirishman

Any recommendations for zigbee compatible smart plugs. Looking for 4 of them for Christmas lights.
    Hue version are at least €120 for 4 and Innr are looking like roughly €90 for 4.

Any other people would recommend?

I’ve got a pair of the Innr zigbee smart plugs a few months ago and they work very perfectly fine with the Hue system.

Also got two Samotech ZigBee dimmers (search on Amazon for SM309) to control newly wired garden spot lights (about 10 on 2 circuits in total) meaning I could use normal bulbs but make them dimmable again via Hue. Of course, requires some wiring work which you might want to get an electrician for. Works again very well with hue.

• Advertisement

All 5 of my outdoor Lily spots stopped working a few months ago.... they are over 2 years old so out of warranty! The fact they are all gone leads me to believe it’s the power supply, however it was always inside my shed....

I’ve seen a power supply on eBay for £29, but I’m reluctant to dump any more money into them especially if it’s not that.... but having initially spent over £500 on them, I kinda want them to last longer than 2 years..

Advertisement