Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philips Hue FAQ

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,685 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Alkers wrote: »
    I have 8 IKEA GU10 in my kitchen, three in my hall with a hue motion sensor and another IKEA bulb in the landing with another hue motion sensor with no issues. They work great

Might just try 4 for starters see how they go as there are 11 spots in our kitchen and 2 hanging lights. Cheap enough to take a hit if they bugger up

I have Hue in the hanging lights so can only control these

Do you have the IKEA hub?

My only issue is the Queue in IKEA

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

Might just try 4 for starters see how they go as there are 11 spots in our kitchen and 2 hanging lights. Cheap enough to take a hit if they bugger up

I have Hue in the hanging lights so can only control these

Do you have the IKEA hub?

My only issue is the Queue in IKEA
    I don't have an IKEA hub, I use the hue ecosystem but I have those IKEA lights and I also have one IKEA switch (which doesn't appear in hue but works fine once setup with the hue essentials app)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,685 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Alkers wrote: »
    I don't have an IKEA hub, I use the hue ecosystem but I have those IKEA lights and I also have one IKEA switch (which doesn't appear in hue but works fine once setup with the hue essentials app)

Cheers

Forgot to ask do you have Alexa as wondering if they work with this?

I use Alexa more than the app so easier to turn on and off

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

Cheers

Forgot to ask do you have Alexa as wondering if they work with this?

I use Alexa more than the app so easier to turn on and off

Yes, no issues at all although we moved to google home about a year ago

• Registered Users Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Has anyone bought the Signe lamp?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭A320

Just received the first set of Lucca outdoor lights and other than an alankey to open the back of the light and put in the bulb there are no screws mounting bracket etc...I'm sure this is not correct and am just wondering if anyone else has fitted these or had a similar experience...

I've them ordered,I downloaded the manual off hue and it says the fittings are not included such as screws and Rawl plugs but it looks like there should be a cross shaped back plate....it's under the support
    https://www.philips-hue.com/en-my/support

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭rodneytrotter15

A320 wrote: »
    I've them ordered,I downloaded the manual off hue and it says the fittings are not included such as screws and Rawl plugs but it looks like there should be a cross shaped back plate....it's under the support

I couldn't find a reference to the backplate on the support page but I did see one like you described on a youtube video from 2018. I've two more lights arriving later and will check them out. I'd really rather not go through the hassle of having to send them back to Amazon and have sent a query to Philips from the support page. Will let you know where it ends up. From looking at the manual I can't see the bracket listed though.

Cross shaped bracket only supplied with US lights. Plastic fitting straight to the wall in Europe apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭EletricMan

Download the hue Halloween app last night 1.99e.. Very disappointed in the light show part of the app, most of the time the lights aren't doing anything while the sounds are playing, unless I'm missing something?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

EletricMan wrote: »
    Download the hue Halloween app last night 1.99e.. Very disappointed in the light show part of the app, most of the time the lights aren't doing anything while the sounds are playing, unless I'm missing something?

I’d say your missing something then.

I’ve had it for the last 5 years and it’s brilliant.

Play one of the moods, and it will change the lights when your not triggering the sound effects...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

The Halloween app is brilliant, have used it for the last few years, couple it with a bluetooth speaker (I use a google home speaker) and a sensor and it frightens the **** out of the kids, pity this year there won't be trick or treat I always love it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

Clareman wrote: »
    The Halloween app is brilliant, have used it for the last few years, couple it with a bluetooth speaker (I use a google home speaker) and a sensor and it frightens the **** out of the kids, pity this year there won't be trick or treat I always love it.

Yeah, I'm missing it this year also

I ordered an extra 2M and 1M extension colour lightstrip. I've enough for the kitchen under counter lights and am wondering if anyone has any suggestion where I could stick the extra light strip. I see some people go with behind the TV but it seems like a shame to waste 3M for a 43" TV ? Anyone got any clever suggestions ?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I ordered an extra 2M and 1M extension colour lightstrip. I've enough for the kitchen under counter lights and am wondering if anyone has any suggestion where I could stick the extra light strip. I see some people go with behind the TV but it seems like a shame to waste 3M for a 43" TV ? Anyone got any clever suggestions ?

Back of the headboard on bed, under bed, another option would be in the bathroom under sink or bath....

I have a spare one with about 4 1m extensions, and usually at Halloween I might stick it around the window frame in one of the upstairs bedrooms...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭ablelocks

we've one behind a cabinet in the sitting room

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭BigAl81

On top of kitchen presses hooked up to a motion sensor!

BigAl81 wrote: »
    On top of kitchen presses hooked up to a motion sensor!

Yep great idea, going to run with that

Got my 2 outdoor Lucca lights wired up and working yesterday,I find the motion sensor is way too sensitive even at very low setting in Hue app,I've configured it via Hue Essentials app which I hope is better.anybody else find this

• Registered Users Posts: 8,912 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I've two rooms with Hue Colour bulbs in them. Each room also has a Hue Smart Button on the wall, and an Echo Dot.

In each room, if I set the bulb to say green, then switch it off with the Smart Button, then turn it back on with the Smart button, it comes on as a default warm white.

However, if I switch the light off with the Echo, then tell Alexa to turn the light on again, it comes back on green (or whatever colour/shade it was before it turned off).

Looking through the settings of both Alexa and Hue apps, I can see that in the Hue app, the Smart Button is specifically set to use "Bright" (which is a warm white) - so this ability to reset to a default is attached to the button itself, and not the bulb. Is there any way to set a default colour at the bulb level? I don't see it in the Hue app.

Ideally, I'd like it to always reset itself to a default when turning back on via the Button, Echo or any other means.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Anyone got a spare Hue GU10 colour bulb they want to sell?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,712 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Has anyone got any of the hue filament/edison style bulbs? Any good. What's the light like from them? Is it too warm?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Has anyone got any of the hue filament/edison style bulbs? Any good. What's the light like from them? Is it too warm?

Got two of them this week. It's a very warm light. I'm using them in a room where I'd rarely use the ceiling lights so they give a nice warm glow. Maybe not suitable if you need a really bright light. They look really good with vintage fittings.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Bluefoam wrote: »

Best suited for show style light fittings, would want other light too.

I've two rooms with Hue Colour bulbs in them. Each room also has a Hue Smart Button on the wall, and an Echo Dot.

In each room, if I set the bulb to say green, then switch it off with the Smart Button, then turn it back on with the Smart button, it comes on as a default warm white.

However, if I switch the light off with the Echo, then tell Alexa to turn the light on again, it comes back on green (or whatever colour/shade it was before it turned off).

Looking through the settings of both Alexa and Hue apps, I can see that in the Hue app, the Smart Button is specifically set to use "Bright" (which is a warm white) - so this ability to reset to a default is attached to the button itself, and not the bulb. Is there any way to set a default colour at the bulb level? I don't see it in the Hue app.

Ideally, I'd like it to always reset itself to a default when turning back on via the Button, Echo or any other means.

I don't have one of those buttons but I'd try the "Hue Essentials" app and try configure it through that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,912 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I don't have one of those buttons but I'd try the "Hue Essentials" app and try configure it through that.

Thanks. Grabbed Hue Essentials (been meaning to for a while), but it doesn’t let you configure a default colour at the light level (except for the power cut option, which is also in the Hue app, and a different use case to what I’m taking about). I’m thinking it might actually be the Echo remembering the last state - it’s hard to debug.

Anyway, Hue Essentials does loads of other things I wanted, so thanks for the prompt!

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭PMC999

Hi, anyone know where I can buy a 1 meter hue lightstrip extension v3 ( the non Bluetooth one). I’ve searched Amazon etc but only the Bluetooth models seem to be available. Thanks

PMC999 wrote: »
    Hi, anyone know where I can buy a 1 meter hue lightstrip extension v3 ( the non Bluetooth one). I’ve searched Amazon etc but only the Bluetooth models seem to be available. Thanks

No Hue is Bluetooth!!!!!

It’s all Zigbee

And the V3 1m extension is there, just pick the 2m base, and then change the option to the 1m extension...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,675 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

No Hue is Bluetooth!!!!!

All the new stuff is Bluetooth aswell

• Advertisement

Cyrus wrote: »
    All the new stuff is Bluetooth aswell

See what happens when you stop buying it because you’ve nowhere else to put it!!!!

Advertisement