Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another potential wind-storm Thursday AM 4-1-18

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Fastnet Lighthouse hit 137kmh earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭banjolin

Looks like this system took a little bite out of Munster and is now heading for the UK. 60k gust near Cahir is highest I can find around here. Pressure rising rapidly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Windy gusts in Waterford city are vicious at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Reading these updates with interest and trepidation. Inbound from Dubai to Dublin.... pretty bumpy up here! Gulp.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭natty_asha

Power gone in part of Carlow town now in the last 10 minutes. Not sure if weather related but some pretty strong gusts here the past half hour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,128 ✭✭✭pad199207

My god sudden roar of wind here in Kildare.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,730 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

natty_asha wrote: »
    Power gone in part of Carlow town now in the last 10 minutes. Not sure if weather related but some pretty strong gusts here the past half hour.

Yeah I see that on ESB PowerCheck, about 1150 homes without power there.
    Estimated restore time 1.30pm

• Registered Users Posts: 7,128 ✭✭✭pad199207

Windy now but certainly not as bad as Ophelia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭kod87

Breezy morning here in Tipp but nothing exceptional

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Definitely the windiest its been over the last number of days with a gust of 85km/h recorded at my station in Waterford City. Certainly dangerous out there for a while but has eased somewhat now.

www.waterfordcityweather.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Strange temperature up and down the last few hours (with the low passing I presume)

437774.png

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Wind has just arrived in Dublin 16.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭mojesius

DOCARCH wrote: »

Same in SE Meath. Chimney howling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

DOCARCH wrote: »

Got windy here an hour ago but no more so than locally on New Year’s Day
    It’s unlikely to drop bows of trees,few branches maybe
    Certainly weaker than down further south so far

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Amazing the speed at which gusts increased here in Carlow Town and town out power for 1,266 premises
    https://twitter.com/CarlowWeather/status/948861003961389056

Check out the graph image in that tweet to see the speed of increase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Very wild here now near Arklow
    Reprieve for bows and fences cancelled
    strong sustained NW
    Very strong gusts

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭MetLuver

Greystones just started howling in last few minutes. It has been dead calm all morning. Fascinating how these features work :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Quiet all morning here in Swords and just suddenly picked up with some decent gusts.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

natty_asha wrote: »

There was a 50-knot gust at Oak Park between 9-10 am.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

The wind has picked up a lot here in the last half hour. Branches are swaying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

Mobhi1 wrote: »
    The wind has picked up a lot here in the last half hour. Big branches and whole trees are swaying.

There was next to no wind at all a couple of hours ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Gust of 50 knots reported in Johnstown Castle's 11 am report. Dublin Airport 48 kt, Casement 47 kt.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Gusting to over 50 knots in Dublin bay, the change was rather dramatic and fast paced.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

I overnighted in Newcastle Co Down last night and drove back to Dublin this morning. The wind and rain overnight was horrendous and the drive back along the south Down coast at 8am was in appalling conditions with high winds and very heavy drizzle being blown horizontally. After a 30 minute tea stop, the M1 south of Dundalk all the way to Dublin was a tale of very blustery crosswinds and spray. There's a lot of wind-blown debris and spot flooding on all side roads driven today.

Glad I don't have to go back out later.. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭piuswal

Slightly off topic but here are two pages from Tim Vasquez' Weather Forecasting Red Book (2006) that contain handy forecasting tips for surface lows, including the Rosenbloom Rule. I highly recommend picking up his books.

Interesting. Thanks. Just one observation, models, data, data assimilation and computing power have come a long way in the intervening 11 years or so.

An aside, probably for another thread but alluded to a few times in various ways and other threads; Met Eireann resources! budget, budget control, staffing, how many forecasters in total and how many on duty during "normal" times and severe weather events! What development and support staff do they have? About 10 years on from the very severe flooding episodes and the building of various flooding defenses, eg in Clonmel and Cork it seems ME are finally getting some staff for flood forecasting. Will there be an investment in the necessary radars and if so, how long will it take? Etc Etc Etc Fill in the gaps.

see http://www.met.ie/forecasts/short-range.asp

fascinating double low forecast off sw and s coast by 2000 this evening!

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

sparrowcar wrote:
    Quiet all morning here in Swords and just suddenly picked up with some decent gusts.

I was considering a quick spin on the bike up to Ballyboughal. Then I thought better of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

piuswal wrote: »
    see http://www.met.ie/forecasts/short-range.asp

fascinating double low forecast off sw and s coast by 2000 this evening!
    Any tips on scrolling through on an android as not as user friendly as on a pc.

Any tips on scrolling through on an android as not as user friendly as on a pc.

I have the ME app on my phone and the very last line gives me

Go to Met.ie

I go into www.met.ie and from there to www.met.ie/forecasts/short-range.asp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

piuswal wrote: »
    I have the ME app on my phone and the very last line gives me

Go to Met.ie

I go into www.met.ie and from there to www.met.ie/forecasts/short-range.asp

Thanks scrolling through timeframes now works.

Advertisement