Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Another potential wind-storm Thursday AM 4-1-18

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Strange temperature up and down the last few hours (with the low passing I presume)

437774.png

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Wind has just arrived in Dublin 16.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,362 ✭✭✭mojesius

DOCARCH wrote: »

Same in SE Meath. Chimney howling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

DOCARCH wrote: »

Got windy here an hour ago but no more so than locally on New Year’s Day
    It’s unlikely to drop bows of trees,few branches maybe
    Certainly weaker than down further south so far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Amazing the speed at which gusts increased here in Carlow Town and town out power for 1,266 premises
    https://twitter.com/CarlowWeather/status/948861003961389056

Check out the graph image in that tweet to see the speed of increase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Very wild here now near Arklow
    Reprieve for bows and fences cancelled
    strong sustained NW
    Very strong gusts

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭MetLuver

Greystones just started howling in last few minutes. It has been dead calm all morning. Fascinating how these features work :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,868 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Quiet all morning here in Swords and just suddenly picked up with some decent gusts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

natty_asha wrote: »
    Power gone in part of Carlow town now in the last 10 minutes. Not sure if weather related but some pretty strong gusts here the past half hour.

There was a 50-knot gust at Oak Park between 9-10 am.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

The wind has picked up a lot here in the last half hour. Branches are swaying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

Mobhi1 wrote: »
    The wind has picked up a lot here in the last half hour. Big branches and whole trees are swaying.

There was next to no wind at all a couple of hours ago.

Gust of 50 knots reported in Johnstown Castle's 11 am report. Dublin Airport 48 kt, Casement 47 kt.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Gusting to over 50 knots in Dublin bay, the change was rather dramatic and fast paced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

I overnighted in Newcastle Co Down last night and drove back to Dublin this morning. The wind and rain overnight was horrendous and the drive back along the south Down coast at 8am was in appalling conditions with high winds and very heavy drizzle being blown horizontally. After a 30 minute tea stop, the M1 south of Dundalk all the way to Dublin was a tale of very blustery crosswinds and spray. There's a lot of wind-blown debris and spot flooding on all side roads driven today.

Glad I don't have to go back out later.. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭piuswal

Slightly off topic but here are two pages from Tim Vasquez' Weather Forecasting Red Book (2006) that contain handy forecasting tips for surface lows, including the Rosenbloom Rule. I highly recommend picking up his books.

Interesting. Thanks. Just one observation, models, data, data assimilation and computing power have come a long way in the intervening 11 years or so.

An aside, probably for another thread but alluded to a few times in various ways and other threads; Met Eireann resources! budget, budget control, staffing, how many forecasters in total and how many on duty during "normal" times and severe weather events! What development and support staff do they have? About 10 years on from the very severe flooding episodes and the building of various flooding defenses, eg in Clonmel and Cork it seems ME are finally getting some staff for flood forecasting. Will there be an investment in the necessary radars and if so, how long will it take? Etc Etc Etc Fill in the gaps.

see http://www.met.ie/forecasts/short-range.asp

fascinating double low forecast off sw and s coast by 2000 this evening!

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

sparrowcar wrote:
    Quiet all morning here in Swords and just suddenly picked up with some decent gusts.

I was considering a quick spin on the bike up to Ballyboughal. Then I thought better of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

piuswal wrote: »
    see http://www.met.ie/forecasts/short-range.asp

fascinating double low forecast off sw and s coast by 2000 this evening!
    Any tips on scrolling through on an android as not as user friendly as on a pc.

I have the ME app on my phone and the very last line gives me

Go to Met.ie

I go into www.met.ie and from there to www.met.ie/forecasts/short-range.asp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

piuswal wrote: »
    I have the ME app on my phone and the very last line gives me

Go to Met.ie

I go into www.met.ie and from there to www.met.ie/forecasts/short-range.asp

Thanks scrolling through timeframes now works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,325 ✭✭✭highdef

I just click at what ever time I want to view on the timeline.... This is on Android, BTW

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

So are we done here?

Do we need a thread for a possible snow event Friday?

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

Big Nasty wrote: »
    So are we done here?

No need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Off topic but since it is in discussion. I have the Met Éireann app on my phone, but if I google Met Éireann in the browser, it takes me straight back into the app when I click on the link to get into the main site. The app is good, but I prefer the website as there is much more on offer in the line of charts, and esp the current conditions page where you can compare and contrast the different reports on one page, rather than having to click on each individual station on the app, which also does not display gust speeds for some reason.

New Moon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Off topic but since it is in discussion. I have the Met reann app on my phone, but if I google Met reann in the browser, it takes me straight back into the app when I click on the link to get into the main site. The app is good, but I prefer the website as there is much more on offer in the line of charts, and esp the current conditions page where you can compare and contrast the different reports on one page, rather than having to click on each individual station on the app, which also does not display gust speeds for some reason.

Delete the app. Instead just go to the mobile site in google chrome and from the browser options select " add to home screen". This is bascially like having the app on your phone however, when open and want the full site, just scroll down to the bottom and select "go to met.ie". :)

• Advertisement

Big Nasty wrote: »

There is one already and no, we don't need it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Very windy here near Tralee early morning gusting over 70 km/h and 10 min avg of 32 /35kn/h WNW from about 07.00 to 08.30. Notable how mild it got during the night in the warm sector getting up to 12.8C at 03.30. Lowest Barometer reading of 984 hPa .High coastal waters again with some local roads flooded. Winds eased off considerably during the morning .

zEPTsev.png?1

Advertisement