Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow-ice Warning : Wednesday 27 Dec. 2017 21:00 to Fri 29 Dec 10.00

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Chucking it down right now in mid-Limerick, beginning to settle.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

It seems we will get nothing out of this first band of precipitation, and it might have gone the wrong side of marginal for us tonight. Tomorrow it looks like rain here as well. Still we had a dusting overnight from a heavy shower that lasted around 15 minutes.
    Well done to those in the snow starved south who got snow this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭kerrycork13

Anyone have any reports of what it's like round banteer mallow area? Have to travel that way shortly from kerry

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Dry and crisp in Castlebar, the only whiteness is the leftover frost from last night, 1.8C currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

It seems we will get nothing out of this first band of precipitation, and it might have gone the wrong side of marginal for us tonight. Tomorrow it looks like rain here as well. Still we had a dusting overnight from a heavy shower that lasted around 15 minutes.
    Well done to those in the snow starved south who got snow this morning.

Not sure anyone got anything much more than a few flakes. Had about 10 mins of wet snow that didnt settle here. The famine continues as far as I am concerned!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Soccarboy11

Freezing cold here in cork City, rain got rid if the frost though early.on before I woke up. No snow here sadly. Just a few rain showers.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,106 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

The radar returns over West Clare would make you expect theres heavy precip here, but there's none!

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭ltdslipdiff

Cold light rain here in Carrick on Suir South Tipp

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭jackrussel

Not sure anyone got anything much more than a few flakes. Had about 10 mins of wet snow that didnt settle here. The famine continues as far as I am concerned!

You haven’t seen the pictures from Newmarket/mallow/kanturk then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

JCX BXC wrote: »
    The radar returns over West Clare would make you expect theres heavy precip here, but there's none!

That’s common with the radar and snow
    It’s been commented on ever since this forum opened
    It’s precipitation that’s not reaching the ground

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Was at the Cliffs of Moher earlier and at 200 m in an easterly wind it was just cold, icy rain. In Lahinch now and the sun's just starting to make an appearance.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,106 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Clearing up now with the sun peaking in and out, temperatures starting to climb too. 3.2mm of sleet today :)

I'm very aware of evaporation of precip on the radar, commonly seen when precipitation is light or even moderate, however with such strong radar returns it's very strange to see nothing more than spitty sleet or nothing at all!

Clearing up now with the sun peaking in and out, temperatures starting to climb too. 3.2mm of sleet today :)

I'm very aware of evaporation of precip on the radar, commonly seen when precipitation is light or even moderate, however with such strong radar returns it's very strange to see nothing more than spitty sleet or nothing at all!

Semi-melted snow has a much higher signal-return on radar than either snow or rain due to the liquid layer on the much larger snow particle. The returned signal is proportional to the 4th power of droplet diameter. That may be why returns look bigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭kerrycork13

jackrussel wrote: »
    You haven’t seen the pictures from Newmarket/mallow/kanturk then?

Where are those pics

• Registered Users Posts: 6,139 ✭✭✭highdef

A narrow but enlarging band of precipitation has suddenly appeared in the past 15 minutes, stretching from Sligo to Naas....hmmm. I can see virga falling from the clouds at my location in North Kildare. Interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭jackrussel

Where are those pics

Check out cork safety alerts on FB or Twitter. They have their own website up now - corksafetyalertsDOTcom

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

highdef wrote: »
    A narrow but enlarging band of precipitation has suddenly appeared in the past 15 minutes, stretching from Sligo to Naas....hmmm. I can see virga falling from the clouds at my location in North Kildare. Interesting

Hirlam did indeed suggest something like that would happen- i wonder is it hitting the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,447 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The model playing a blinder today so far. I can visually see locally in Dub high level precip at the moment...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Light rain here in Waterford City, Temp 3.4c DP 2.7c

www.waterfordweather.com

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Don't see anything falling from that precip on the cams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭lolie

highdef wrote: »

It really pepped on the radar from 2.30. Showing as sleet on the netweather radar.
    437222.png
    437223.png

Edit: has weakened a lot on the last few radar returns. Sky clearing again overhead here.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,727 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Snowing 6 miles north east of Kilkenny, 220m asl.
    Currently 1.4C.
    Nothing major but it is readily sticking on the cold surfaces.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

Sky looks to be getting organized here and you can see the white precip falling above

Light rain here in Waterford City, Temp 3.4c DP 2.7c

www.waterfordweather.com

Cloudy and calm in Arklow
    Can see the darker cloud to the SW and West
    3.1c
    Dp -1c

One of our number here was reporting something similar near moynalty co Meath at the height of the not terribly marginal 2010 spell
    Strong echoes,no precip
    It’s more common than you’d think
    You’d often see hail streaming across clouds that wouldn’t hit the ground and associated echoes
    I’d imagine echoes from hail or ice crystals can give misleading radar images too when expecting more on the ground
    Science is good but nature is always the winner in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭dexter647

Lightly snowing here now in south west Laois...Lovely to watch with a nice glass of port:D

.... Starting to stick now as well 126m asl

The model playing a blinder today so far. I can visually see locally in Dub high level precip at the moment...

Not sure that it is. It may have the precip right but as JCX says, it's not all hitting the surface, and of what is, a lot is rain. The Hirlam has a huge swathe of snow over the southern third of the country this afternoon but it's not turned out that way at low levels. That's why I don't put a whole lot of faith in the model precip-type forecasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,284 ✭✭✭arctictree

+1.6c here in Roundwood. Sky looking very dark.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Met eireann have changed the yellow weather warning for snow ice again

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Banks of the Boyne are frozen here in Mornington Co Meath. First all day frost / ice this winter.

Advertisement