Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Snow-ice Warning : Wednesday 27 Dec. 2017 21:00 to Fri 29 Dec 10.00

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭pad199207

Skies clearing here now in Kildare. Event over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,230 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

pad199207 wrote: »

A quick read of the forecast may actually be nice :P

I don't think this first band was ever meant to reach Kildare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Drove East to West on the M6 just now and around the midlands there was lovely waves of Snow/hail in the clouds above but nothing hitting the ground. There were some tiny icey raindrops around Ballinasloe but otherwise, nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,207 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Wind warning issued and Snow ice update

STATUS YELLOW

Wind Warning for Donegal, Galway, North Leitrim, Mayo, Sligo, Clare, Cork, Kerry and Limerick
    Southwest winds gradually veering westerly will reach mean speeds between 50 and 65km/h, with gusts between 90 and 110km/h. Winds will become strong in the southwest at first and extend northwards later in the night and tomorrow morning.

Issued:Thursday 28 December 2017 16:00
    Valid:Thursday 28 December 2017 23:00 to Friday 29 December 2017 14:00

STATUS YELLOW

Snow-ice Warning for Ireland
    UPDATE TO PREVIOUS WARNING

Risk of sleet and snow and icy conditions gradually clearing northeastwards by tomorrow morning.

Issued:Thursday 28 December 2017 16:00
    Valid:Thursday 28 December 2017 16:00 to Friday 29 December 2017 10:00

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Sure let them clear,allow temps to plummet in readiness for the next proper band.

• Advertisement

JCX BXC wrote: »
    A quick read of the forecast may actually be nice :P

I don't think this first band was ever meant to reach Kildare.

Isn’t wonderful to the honest

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

Frost and ice has mostly stayed all day in Drogheda.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Another yellow warning is a bit of a joke at this stage. Lastnight's/today's warning was a damp squib yet it made the hourly news updates, and was quoted as "countrywide". This is just feeding the media fire and leading to stories like earlier, where some elderly person cancelled an appointment because he heard of a snow warning. Granted, part of the problem is
    a) the media will not report facts, and
    b) people don't read forecasts properly.

However, there was barely any rain today, never mind snow, and the chances of snow and frost are lower overnight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Fully agree that the latest plethora of yellows is way ott
    That warning level needs a reworking
    Then I remember in the early 70’s half an inch of snow at Shannon being the headline on the telefís Éireann News too
    Xmas slow news didn’t just start with the internet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Another yellow warning is a bit of a joke at this stage. Lastnight's/today's warning was a damp squib yet it made the hourly news updates, and was quoted as "countrywide". This is just feeding the media fire and leading to stories like earlier, where some elderly person cancelled an appointment because he heard of a snow warning. Granted, part of the problem is
    a) the media will not report facts, and
    b) people don't read forecasts properly.

However, there was barely any rain today, never mind snow, and the chances of snow and frost are lower overnight.

How was it a damp squib? This is the first day around my parts that the roads stayed white. I for one am delighted that there are less cars on the roads today. Just because it may have been a damp squib in your locality doesn't mean it was for everyone else.

As you know yourself, met have to hedge their bets. You win some you lose some.

• Advertisement

Fully agree with that too in fairness
    That being said,I do believe a general warning/noting in the forecast should replace yellow
    Ice and frost are too common to merit yellow speciality as are ordinary gales or an inch of rain in my opinion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,991 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Some light rain now with the temperature hovering around 0
    I don't think we will have snow here at all, the warmer air usually mixes things out quicker than forecasted in these situations. Pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

How was it a damp squib? This is the first day around my parts that the roads stayed white. I for one am delighted that there are less cars on the roads today. Just because it may have been a damp squib in your locality doesn't mean it was for everyone else.

Met eireann don't hedge there bets they make calculated choices and make forecasts and issue weather warnings, they got it wrong today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,230 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Knock airport TAF amended to include light snow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,991 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

ZX7R wrote: »
    Met eireann don't hedge there bets they make calculated choices and make forecasts and issue weather warnings, they got it wrong today

Perhaps, but some places saw snow. Although a lot of it seemed to be from places a good bit above sea level.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

Tipp / Limerick boarder, ballylanders to kilfinane road

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭lolie

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Perhaps, but some places saw snow. Although a lot of it seemed to be from places a good bit above sea level.

Yes indeed some places got snow, but only my personal view, it did not merit a national yellow warning, not one that changed as many times as it did since been issued yesterday.
    P.s I am not bashing met eairann, I think they got this one wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

Bright and clear most of the day while I was down in Laois, then drove back to Dublin and not a drop of rain.

I have to agree these yellow warnings are starting to grate, yeah it was frosty, but I remember more frost from my youth and no mad panics or media running away with themselves over it.

Damp squib in that it was just that - damp. Almost no measurable precipitation reported in the majority of stations, apart from the south and west coasts, and none of it snow. Yes some local pockets reported by a few lucky ones on higher ground, but 90% of people saw nothing. The warning had been issued for a whole list of counties throughout a lot of the country.

I too am the last to bash Met Éireann, but I do feel that ever since Ophelia they have become a little more "tabloid" (that's the wrong word) in their warnings. I think their protocol needs some review as we can't be having yellows every day of the week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

4c and absolutely lashing rain here in Wexford.Nothing worse than cold rain. I reckon there'll be a good covering of snow on Mt Leinster in the morning though,it already has a nice dusting.

Damp squib in that it was just that - damp. Almost no measurable precipitation reported in the majority of stations, apart from the south and west coasts, and none of it snow. Yes some local pockets reported by a few lucky ones on higher ground, but 90% of people saw nothing. The warning had been issued for a whole list of counties throughout a lot of the country.

I too am the last to bash Met Éireann, but I do feel that ever since Ophelia they have become a little more "tabloid" (that's the wrong word) in their warnings. I think their protocol needs some review as we can't be having yellows every day of the week.

Well said. Although I disagree about Ophelia, those warnings were needed and put out as conditions saw fit.

I myself usually just ignore yellow Weather Warnings now at this stage, especially the yellow wind warnings. A gale warning and that is fine.
    We have yellow warnings now nearly every day of the week and it’s getting just a little bit beyond the pale now.

Orange Level Warnings However do get my attention.

Flakes falling in Naas!

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭kerrycork13

I think met eireann need to use their common sense a bit more as regards snowfall. History has shown that when snowfall is marginal there are always areas that will have snow and areas only 10 miles away that have nothing. For example areas of North West cork had a couple of inches of lying snow this morning and places a few miles away would have had nothing. The fact remains that areas particularly over 200 to 250 metres are likely to see snow from these type of frontal systems coming up against cold air esp this time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭blackvalley

Flakes falling in Naas!

FLAKES !. Thought Cadburys stopped making them years ago :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭fletch

Djouce earlier today
    20171228_114845.jpg
    20171228_120444.jpg
    20171228_121753.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

rain in kilkenny

Very light snow in dunboyne

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭pauldry

It’s not only met eireann that needs to calm down in fairness. The internet in general and I include this forum gets carried away far to easily.

Yes everyone calm down n dont be getting excited by any snow anymore. If theres any possibility of snow tell your friends but not here this is solely for serious weather events...

Seriously though its raining lightly in Dublin where I am ... does snow not like it here?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

starting to rain here, cold cold rain:(

I'm fairly certain now anything that falls here tonight will be rain. Ground still frozen solid even tho there is light rain falling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

No rain or frost in north meath at the minute, looked like we might be in for a frost earlier but its turned considerably cloudier since. Ground still frozen in the shaded parts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Yea dewpoints already up to 1 deg.C and wind now swung SSE

Yea dewpoints already up to 1 deg.C and wind now swung SSE

All set now for the next front coming in to go wrong. You couldn’t make it up in this country when it comes to snow.

Happily falls as rain here and then turns to snow over England. Really would piss ya off.

Ya wonder why some us are going mad!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Today was an 'Ice Day' here in Donegal, its been a while since I had one at my location and its freezing hard now again, not that it thawed much anyway, very seasonal. Brings back memories of the Big Freeze from 2010.

Rain on the west coast now, Knock at 0 degrees should see some snow although nothing out of the ordinary up there.DSKfbQVXUAACOsP.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭lolie

Rain on the west coast now, Knock at 0 degrees should see some snow although nothing out of the ordinary up there.DSKfbQVXUAACOsP.jpg

Very light snow reported in Nobber meath a short while ago.
    If you zoom in you can see the single blue dot on the radar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

England gets sod all snow, Scotland gets a good lasting. I have a friend living in London for years now and he said snow is very rare.

Scottish highlands are the only reliable place for snow in the UK
    All set now for the next front coming in to go wrong. You couldn’t make it up in this country when it comes to snow.

Happily falls as rain here and then turns to snow over England. Really would piss ya off.

Ya wonder why some us are going mad!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,753 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Temperature has been rising steadily for the last couple of hours here in Kilkenny.
    3.3C from 1.2C.

RobertKK wrote: »
    Temperature has been rising steadily for the last couple of hours here in Kilkenny.
    3.3C from 1.2C.

2.2 c here near Arklow dp is 1c
    The rain will be heavy when it arrives again ,warmer air meeting cold and all that
    There could be some substantial snow on lugnaquilla here in Wicklow and up in the Cooley’s/mournes

today's max temps (°C):

Knock Airport 1.0
    Oak Park (Carlow) 1.9
    Mullingar 2.0
    Shannon Airport 2.4
    Finner (Donegal) 2.6
    Athenry 2.7
    Phoenix Park 3.1
    Cork Airport 3.7
    Belmullet 4.5
    Valentia 7.5

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 DanielL18

Taken this evening in West Cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Freezing hard just south of Drogheda. Paths and untreated roads white.

Aerodrome warnings for Dublin and Casement give moderate frost and light air frost from 4 pm today to 1 am, though with overcast skies and temperatures steady or rising there's not much chance of that at this stage.

EIDW AD WRNG 01 VALID 281600/290100 FROST MOD GND AND FBL AIR DEPOSITIONS LIKELY FCST =

EIME AD WRNG 01 VALID 281600/290100 FROST MOD GND AND FBL AIR DEPOSITIONS LIKELY FCST =

Light ground and air frost for Knock up to 3 am.

EIKN AD WRNG 01 VALID 281500/290300 FROST FBL GND AND FBL AIR DEPOSITIONS LIKELY FCST =

Can't see any low-level snow tonight. Possibly some wet stuff on higher ground through the usual Leitrims and Cavans, etc.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

@MetEireann

There are a few thunderstorms in the showers behind tonight's band of rain/sleet. There's a moderate risk of scattered thunderstorms reaching the west coast after midnight and moving eastwards across the country.
    Lightning (orange circles) currently approx 120kms off the coast. https://t.co/GX228YShld

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    @MetEireann
    There's a moderate risk of scattered thunderstorms reaching the west coast after midnight and moving eastwards across the country.
    Lightning (orange circles) currently approx 120kms off the coast. https://t.co/GX228YShld
    Somebody issue a warning...QUICK! :eek: :pac:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Bit late, been busy with other things, there was snow this morning in South Clare that stuck for a while, and on top of black ice there were a few minor RTA's locally, but it turned to rain by lunchtime, and has remained rain since. Down round Bunratty at lunchtime it was sleety rain. Don't have a precise elevation, but where we're staying there's not a lot between here and Newfoundland. Outside the front door, I can see the upper sections of the chimneys at Moneypoint, which are about 25 Kms away from here, so exposed is probably the best word for it.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

The frost from last night that was hanging around today is nearly all gone here, must have been quite the temperature jump since i last posted, as it was still fairly noticable.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

frost completely melted here too.

Probably best to close the thread now, seems a bit out of place now with a huge band of rain heading across the country.

Frost gone from drogheda and going by the latest radar it's all rain on the way

• Advertisement
Advertisement