Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fighter jets for the Air Corps?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,627 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I have yet to see a discussion on the purchase of second-hand F16s. ....

Few on here want anything other than latest fighters.

Only negatives with the F16 it's is high running costs because it's a fundamentally a 1970s design and even the newer builds do not have the ease of mantainance and software modularity that some newer designs have. Giving some new designs much lower running costs.

There's a debate in the US around new build F16s and the generals dont want it, partly for those reasons. That said they are doing new build F15s. So theres a bit of double speak going on.

Pilots say the F16 with new blocks are as good as anything else in the visual fight. But it's yesterday's news in BVR. So they say. But its an old plane now. Good enough for us. Maybe. No one here will accept that though. There is no compromise.

donvito99 wrote: »
    There is no threat to our air space in peacetime.

Please tell us the circumstances in which 'an interceptor' is required without some sort of conventional, persistent threat to our interest.

And let's not have this "a stricken airliner may need directions" nonsense as we had the last time around.

The main argument is Russians possibly putting international flights at risk by acting the eejit near them. There are other reasons put forward but that's the one mostly likely to get public and Political support. IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Edgarfrndly

That KAI jet is the best choice to get some decent firepower without breaking the bank.....

Older variant Gripen is not far off the same price, and is more capable. I think a Gripen is the better choice.

Gripen in many ways is a modern F16.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Sgt. Bilko 09

sparky42 wrote: »
    Suppose it depends on how much usage they have had, I mean the Greek 16s would have been used very hard with the Turkish incursions. Also of course getting F16s mean having to get US approval for purchases, they might want to try flogging new ones rather second hand ones (from memory they blocked Israel from selling some to one of the Eastern European countries).

Also don’t forget that for the Greek deal, they are asking for a lot of weapons that we wouldn’t be looking for.

I was just reading up on that you correct, they block the Qatari from buying upgrading. I never took that into account. I reckon that would make it cheaper I suppose maybe I'm wrong

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Dohvolle

There is no peacetime need for fast jets.

There is, and this thread is 140 pages long to explain why.

Flinty997 wrote: »
    Few on here want anything other than latest fighters.

Only negatives with the F16 it's is high running costs because it's a fundamentally a 1970s design and even the newer builds do not have the ease of mantainance and software modularity that some newer designs have. Giving some new designs much lower running costs.

There's a debate in the US around new build F16s and the generals dont want it, partly for those reasons. That said they are doing new build F15s. So theres a bit of double speak going on.

Pilots say the F16 with new blocks are as good as anything else in the visual fight. But it's yesterday's news in BVR. So they say. But its an old plane now. Good enough for us. Maybe. No one here will accept that though. There is no compromise.

Block D I think is the ones I'm only compared them.just there with polish upgrades I think the overall changes was avionics and range.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

Older variant Gripen is not far off the same price, and is more capable. I think a Gripen is the better choice.

Gripen is nice and compact system but fighter itself has pretty short range distance unfortunately - good in defensive role for countries with small airspace like Czech or Switzerland (they planned but decide not to buy) but not for island like us with vast coastline and territorial waters. Swedish use them but they have like 100 of them and mostly Baltic sea to patrol. Norway for example went for F-16E with 3 times longer range (plus few F-35 but they can afford it with their gas and oil resources wink.png

It is different story of we need our own jet fighters and how it would work NATO defense doctrine. It is interesting to see Icelandic Air Policing where Iceland has more strategic role with number of radar systems located there:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Icelandic_Air_Policing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,880 ✭✭✭sparky42

zom wrote: »
    Gripen is nice and compact system but fighter itself has pretty short range distance unfortunately - good in defensive role for countries with small airspace like Czech or Switzerland (they planned but decide not to buy) but not for island like us with vast coastline and territorial waters. Swedish use them but they have like 100 of them and mostly Baltic sea to patrol. Norway for example went for F-16E with 3 times longer range (plus few F-35 but they can afford it with their gas and oil resources wink.png

It is different story of we need our own jet fighters and how it would work NATO defense doctrine. It is interesting to see Icelandic Air Policing where Iceland has more strategic role with number of radar systems located there:

Norway flies the F16A not the newer blocks though I’m sure they’ve had the usual life upgrades, given the number of intercepts they’ve done to Russian incursions I’d say they may be well shagged in terms of flight hours.

A long distance cap is a different to scrambling out to the odd incursion. Few on this forum will compromise on a F16 no matter how long legged.

What they want is a recent generation multi role fighter not simply for air defence but true multirole that can hold it's own in many different roles and threats against top tier opponents. Play with the big boys and unlimited budget made available to achieve it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Edgarfrndly

Fair point. The newer models have a lot more range, but a lot more price too.

Fair point. The newer models have a lot more range, but a lot more price too.

Really need to consider air to air refueling. Especially if working with other nations.

There is no threat to our air space in peacetime.

Please tell us the circumstances in which 'an interceptor' is required without some sort of conventional, persistent threat to our interest.

And let's not have this "a stricken airliner may need directions" nonsense as we had the last time around.

Well you cannot state it is nonsense when it is a factual reason, there is examples of that nonsense story one being flight 182 over Ireland in the 80s terrorist threat and recently flight 522 over Cyprus where I was based coincidentally when that happened. Both stricken airlines but let's forget those, however one was met with QRA F16s to assess what was happening.

Not saying you said this but just because we are a small little island we are a strategic pain in the rear for most of our neighbours due to our neglect of our military we have nothing to defend our own airspace and waters either for that matter. Bringing politics into here but we also can’t preach the no hard border (GFA) no military crap when we call the RAF for help when a Russian plane decided to rip down the coast.

I digress, anyway lets use the reason that is being used now Russian bombers, which are purposely turning off their transponders in one of the busiest airspaces in the world(transatlantic). Consider a Russian bombers which fly generally in squads of two or three going up the west coast, they get seen only visually by airliners but if it's close enough TCAS could alert, that's far to dangerous. Flying Blind, into airspace which is not policed properly is what they want to expose.

We depend on the British radar systems, typhoons and hush gentleman's agreement to ensure the intrusion is met militarily.

To be honest it's embarrassing that we are at the table of the UN security council when we can't even take care of our situations. We are in “peacetime” and this still happens on our door step it won’t go to a war for obvious reasons. We are a neutral nation which is being harassed.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,839 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Really need to consider air to air refueling. Especially if working with other nations.

No we don't.

And we won't be working with other nations in the way that NATO nations work together with integrated systems for logistics and refuelling.

A2A is a massively expensive and complex undertaking, reserved to very few advanced air forces or their allies.

Insofar as our area of responsibility extends to the island, the airspace and a limited amount of the oceanic air traffic zones, a base on the west coast as well as Baldonnell for refuelling in the east would be more than sufficient.

A squadron of 16 planes would enable 2 x QRA units, and two more on standby to relieve them in the event a long loiter or extended patrol was needed. Bear in mind, a primary radar and the Airbus 295s would be a major part of the system too, so you wouldn't need to have interceptors touring around at altitude when off task.

I wasn't the one who brought up working with NATO and aircraft suitable for use on overseas missions and in other countries. Or that we don't want aircraft limited to one mission profile. All the current modern jets have air to air refueling. But it's perishable skill. Needs to be practiced.

.... we have nothing to defend our own airspace and waters either for that matter. ....

What do we need to defend our waters. I assume you mean the Russian subs recently transiting around Ireland.

What ASW capability would your suggest for air craft and Navy

What do we need to defend our waters. I assume you mean the Russian subs recently transiting around Ireland.

What ASW capability would your suggest for air craft and Navy

Well I was making more an additional point on the fact that we can’t defend anything effectively, I don’t think we would need anti sub aircraft, however me personally I would be a fan of the new ATR 72 ASW

I think our military budget was €780 million in 2020. You have to consider what % we want to spend on individual threats. Do we spend 50% off it on ASW etc.

I think our military budget was €780 million in 2020. You have to consider what % we want to spend on individual threats. Do we spend 50% off it on ASW etc.

My overall statement above was not in relation to maritime patrol.
    I must have taken you up incorrectly, That is my suggested preference.

I must have taken you up incorrectly, I suggested my preference

I'm not disagreeing with you just expanding on it.

• Advertisement

I'm not disagreeing with you just expanding on it.

The platform is very Morden and has the range capability I think suits the IAC. Given it’s similarities to the Casa. I wasn’t aware of the pricing or the costs in involved I believe Turkey and Italy are the will be the operators of it though.

The platform is very Morden and has the range capability I think suits the IAC. Given it’s similarities to the Casa. I wasn’t aware of the pricing or the costs in involved I believe Turkey and Italy are the will be the operators of it though.

Just buy th full up 295 ASW variant and that will do, no need to look at the ATR.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Dohvolle wrote: »
    There is, and this thread is 140 pages long to explain why.

70 pages are Jonny trying to figure out whether a 7th frigate or 5th fighter wing would better.

The occasional russian bomber, whose purpose is delinquency with some testing of NATO thrown in and that alone, is no reason to procure fast jets.

Fighter jets are at the bottom of the list of our conventional defence priorities and that list should be based on the risks that we face. Our procurement should not be based on what the Hungarians or Czechs are doing.

Can someone please paint us a picture of circumstances where a squadron of fast jets would provide any defence utility at all?

What nation is in a position to fly jets far enough whereby we are threatened? The Russians have a strung out bomber force and no carrier.

We'd be better off spending a billion a year on ASW, which makes sense as that is a threat on our doorstep and something that other navies a falling down on, with frigates and patrol aircraft becoming more scarce. 12 gripens does nothing for us or Europe

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Dohvolle

150 pages now...

The reality, I suppose we have to face is that all arms of the defence forces are in a poor state (ignoring the short term staffing issues).
    The Army need more armour to deploy overseas with UN operations in safety, Possibly also including some form of fire support element.
    The Navy has a need to make its current fleet more combat capable, and procure ships capable of moving military forces from sea to land. (us being an island and all that)
    While the notion of fast jets is one of the things we need, maybe a larger transport fleet, of fixed and rotary wing, combined with a greater air surveillance capacity, might be better in the long run? That being said having an actual aircraft capable of firing a missile of some sort in a controlled manner at an air or ground target would be a basic expectation too....

We'd be better off spending a billion a year on ASW, which makes sense as that is a threat on our doorstep and something that other navies a falling down on, with frigates and patrol aircraft becoming more scarce. 12 gripens does nothing for us or Europe

You could are argue ASW is a threat, but not a high threat either.

You can see from other countries, especially the US are over reaching with their new equipment programs. Making them unaffordable for themselves. Having burnt a ton of money are having to take a step back and look at more traditionally and affordable options. Like new build F15s and more traditional Frigates. The UK had to clean house and shrink in order to afford their new equipment. With less units, they'll have a harder life trying to spread them selves too thin.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1331872/defence-review-royal-navy-cuts-stena-impero-gulf-first-sea-lord-west-boris-johnson-dominic

So while I enjoy fast jets as much as the next guy and I can see some people only want one viewpoint expressed. I think its worthwhile (and enjoyable) looking at all the options.

Dohvolle wrote: »
    ...The reality, I suppose we have to face is that all arms of the defence forces are in a poor state (ignoring the short term staffing issues).....

I think the profile of the DF, their role in our history and indeed Irish People military achievements in other countries conflicts and world wars need to be raised. We have a military tradition. It needs a higher profile. A higher kudos in the national consciousness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

It already has. No shortage of military ceremonies, rememberance parades, school career talks by serving enlisted and officers, plenty of twitter/facebook/social media by and about the DF and so on. The important point is that the DoD and the DF are regarded as a political dead end by our political leadership says it all.

Stovepipe wrote: »
    It already has. ....

Really? I never hear of it. Likewise the kids.

You could are argue ASW is a threat, but not a high threat either.

You can see from other countries, especially the US are over reaching with their new equipment programs. Making them unaffordable for themselves. Having burnt a ton of money are having to take a step back and look at more traditionally and affordable options. Like new build F15s and more traditional Frigates. The UK had to clean house and shrink in order to afford their new equipment. With less units, they'll have a harder life trying to spread them selves too thin.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1331872/defence-review-royal-navy-cuts-stena-impero-gulf-first-sea-lord-west-boris-johnson-dominic

So while I enjoy fast jets as much as the next guy and I can see some people only want one viewpoint expressed. I think its worthwhile (and enjoyable) looking at all the options.

Of all the Western Nations to pick those two are by far the worst examples to use (I mean hell when was the last time the UK brought any military project into use on time, on budget, on spec?

Makes more sense to compare us to nations of around the same population/gdp (though yes ours is nuts so knock about 50-100 billion off the figure) and then look at what they are doing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,244 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

If you are looking at long-distance runs like investigating contacts in Irish-controlled airspace over the Atlantic, I don't think you need to be carrying a full-on warload. Surely two tip missiles, and three drop tanks (You may not even need to drop them, but if you do, they're disposable) is plenty enough capability with range for that job.

[Edit. Would range not be a similar question for FA-50s?]

Advertisement