Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swimming for Tri Beginners

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    That arm pit tap is playng havoc with my shoulder but I'll persist.

Very tough to diagnose the issue online (and I'm not even going to try), but one thing to remember is that nagging shoulder pain isn't usually a good sign for swimmers. Bear in mind the drill is designed primarily to get a high elbow on the recovery phase- you can tap the shoulder if that helps instead, or just mimic a shoulder-tap. I can't see how any shoulder "havoc" would be stress related from this drill, more likely its a flexibility issue. Maybe try some arm swings etc beforehand to get warmed up and the shoulder muscles loose.

*Edit* make sure you are pulling with a bent elbow as described earlier. A straighter arm done with this drill could possibly lead to shoulder pain.

There are some stretch warm-up exercises below, and similar to be found on Youtube.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    I can't see how any shoulder "havoc" would be stress related from this drill, more likely its a flexibility issue. Maybe try some arm swings etc beforehand to get warmed up and the shoulder muscles loose.

It's more of an over flexibility issue since I dislocated it years ago.

I know what the issue is myself and the solution by I neither have the funds nor the time required for recovery post op.

I'll have to get back to the stability exercises see if they tighten things up.

It's not really a hindrance more of a nuisance. No panic as I still managed 2000M the other night albeit I was just going through the motions for the last 600M.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Just downloaded this free app yesterday, might be good for some on here

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/stroke-builder/id479829781?mt=8

Can pay for some 'bundles' in it too...what I've seen on the free stuff looks pretty good.

I did only have a quick look with the sound off though :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Week 2 Programme[/B

Day 1
    200 easy
    4*100 as (25m pb, 25m kick (use your pb as a board), 25m pb, 25m kick, 15 sec rest)
    2*50 fingertip
    2*50 pb
    2*50 armpit tap
    2*50 sw
    8*25 (breath every 3 strokes first 25, breath every 5 next 25, and repeat. Full rest/recovery for as long as you want at each wall. Do these very slow, very controlled, focus on exhaling smoothly and constantly)
    200 swim down

(15 sec rest after each drill, all done at comfortable pace

I was sick for a few days last week so I only got 2 swims done. I'm a full week behind now. I did this today. Really enjoyed it and everything felt a lot easier than the last time. I didn't even have to take any sneaky breaks and did it all as above except I thought the 2 x 50 sw was 2 x 50 kick so I did that instead. And I thought the 8x 25 I was supposed to alternate 3 breaths then 5 breaths all the time. I guess I should have written it down :)

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭ToTriOrNot

I was sick for a few days last week so I only got 2 swims done. I'm a full week behind now. I did this today. Really enjoyed it and everything felt a lot easier than the last time. I didn't even have to take any sneaky breaks and did it all as above except I thought the 2 x 50 sw was 2 x 50 kick so I did that instead

I am with you sister!!! I have only done week1 workout 1 and 3 (i had my usual swimming session wednesday week instead of workout 2!!
    I will try hard to catch up..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭strummer_ie

User Name: strummer_ie

Swim Experience: Learnt as a child but took a long break until a few years ago when I started back in the pool. I had to relearn how to do the front crawl properly and especially the bilateral breathing, but persisted and achieved it. Currently an infrequent visitor to the pool but signed up for IM70.3 and determined to make great improvements :D

Can you breath bilaterally?: Yes

Current 100m time: Was 2:15 earlier in the year, but today is about 2:30
    Current 400m time: Not sure, but would guestimate 10:00-11:00

Tri race experience: Took part in my first Tri in KOG last August and really enjoyed it. The 200m swim was tough and a big change from the pool, and my technique and breathing went out the window in the ensuing chaos....

Open Water experience: A few dips at Seapoint, but not far distance wise

Furthest distance swam: 1000m in the pool

Any Other Relevant details: Moved to swimming in a 50m pool last year as I got frustrated with the previous 25m pool with overcrowding and frequent reducing of lengths to 17m to facilitate classes. The initial swim in a 50m pool was very tough, but much more used to it now :D

Thanks Kurt for the programme !! And to KillianByrne for pointing me in this direction ;)
    I jumped into week 3 session 1 this morning and boy was it a struggle. In most part due to the lack of stamina from not being in the pool for a couple of months, but I felt pretty chuffed and proud by the end ;)
    As it was a 50m pool, instead of doing 4*100 of 25m pb, 25m kick, 25m pb, 25m kick, I instead did 4*100m of 50m pb and 50m kick. The length with just kicks took a lot longer then pb :D
    I'll have to confess that I was running out of time before work so I had to shorten the 3*50 drills for 2*50 but will make it to the pool earlier in future.

Looking forward to the rest of the programme and monitoring the swim times :D:D
    Thanks again Kurt !!

Day 2
    200 easy
    4*50 k with board (rest at each wall if needed)
    20*50m steady pace throughout, 5 sec rest after each 50m. Don't make the mistake of starting the first 50's too fast! (if you are struggling take 10 secs rest between each 50)
    200m swim down
    Did this today. The whole session. Unadulterated for a change. My kick is getting much better. By that I mean that I was making steady progress across the pool and I didn't seem to be coming to a stop in the middle of the pool as on previous occasions :D The steady set was grand. I may have taken a slightly longer recovery on some of them :D

How often should you swim a week? There are no short-cuts, at any level from beginner to advanced. Below assumes one swim is circa an hour structured session, not hanging round the wall chatting! Swim fitness is quickly lost, so the aim for anyone who is serious about preparing for 2015 Tri's should be 3+ swims per week. The race starts in the pool over the winter.

Swim once a week- you will lose swim fitness
    Swim twice a week- you will struggle to improve, and might barely maintain current fitness
    Swim thrice a week- this is the minimum if you want to improve
    Swim four times a week- you'll notice large improvements
    Swim 5+ times a week- Shark:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

Very tough to diagnose the issue online (and I'm not even going to try), but one thing to remember is that nagging shoulder pain isn't usually a good sign for swimmers. Bear in mind the drill is designed primarily to get a high elbow on the recovery phase- you can tap the shoulder if that helps instead, or just mimic a shoulder-tap. I can't see how any shoulder "havoc" would be stress related from this drill, more likely its a flexibility issue. Maybe try some arm swings etc beforehand to get warmed up and the shoulder muscles loose.

*Edit* make sure you are pulling with a bent elbow as described earlier. A straighter arm done with this drill could possibly lead to shoulder pain.

There are some stretch warm-up exercises below, and similar to be found on Youtube.

alternatively, the flip side of trying something thats hurting, try pointing opposite shoulder at bottom of pool (opposite to the one out of the water with high elbow)

and back to your normal news presenter

interested wrote: »

and back to your normal news presenter

I'm Don Cockburn on his rusty RTE bike to your glamorous Sharon Ní Bheoláin- always good to see you posting swim advice and tips.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Sharon Ni Bellybutton in a swimsuit; now I'm 'Interested'!

How often should you swim a week? There are no short-cuts, at any level from beginner to advanced. Below assumes one swim is circa an hour structured session, not hanging round the wall chatting! Swim fitness is quickly lost, so the aim for anyone who is serious about preparing for 2015 Tri's should be 3+ swims per week. The race starts in the pool over the winter.

Swim once a week- you will lose swim fitness
    Swim twice a week- you will struggle to improve, and might barely maintain current fitness
    Swim thrice a week- this is the minimum if you want to improve
    Swim four times a week- you'll notice large improvements
    Swim 5+ times a week- Shark:D

Any suggestions what should be done for the 4th/5th session ?

Any suggestions what should be done for the 4th/5th session ?

For the moment it is probably most useful to spend extra sessions working on drills (and maybe adding a couple of sets of 4*100m to see how the drills are working in practice). The temptation might be to throw in a long endurance 2k or 3k swim, but there is no point in doing that while stroke corrections still need to be worked on.

But there is no definite answer- if you can swim a 2k straight without your form falling to pieces towards the end, then by all means do so.

*Edit* I may as well clarify why this is the case. An awful lot of new swimmers (myself included in 2012) define success and progress by how far they can swim. They get to 100m non-stop, then 500m, then 1km, and keep targeting 2k, 3k, 3.8k etc. While this is good as a mental challenge, most of the time the latter parts are these long swims are done with diminishing form. It's far more useful to do 10*100 with a little rest to "regroup" good form between each 100, than to do a straight 1,000 which ends with bad form. As the year progresses, and people get more confident with their stroke, we will move towards longer straight sets. But for the moment, anyone looking to do extra "homework", should concentrate on drills and sets of 100's, rather than look for a pyrrhic victory of a long straight distance "achieved".

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Bart86

Today, I did the day 3, week 2:

200 easy
    4*50 k
    100m
    200m
    300m
    300m
    200m
    100m
    200 swim down

I omitted 400m as the session was hard enough for me. My form started falling after the first 300m..not very happy about it.

Bart86 wrote: »

I omitted 400m as the session was hard enough for me. My form started falling after the first 300m..not very happy about it.

Form failing after 300 is normal for a beginner in that session. Its designed to push you to longer distances to test your form. You learned something today, at this stage of the season thats useful knowledge.

Week 2 Programme

Day 3
    200 easy
    100m
    200m
    300m
    400m
    300m
    200m
    100m
    200 swim down

Steady pace throughout. They should feel controlled, but tough enough that you want the rest. 15 sec rest after each. Less confident swimmers can omit the 400m

Done as
    200m easy backstroke
    50m kick
    100m
    50m kick
    200m
    300m
    300m
    50m kick
    200m
    50m kick
    35m/100m I started off doing the 100m rep but after about 35m I got a really bad cramp in my foot and I had to stop a number of times and walk it off so I abandoned that effort and started it off again
    150m easy backstroke

Very happy with myself. I broke up the kick reps because I was finding it hard to motivate myself and my quads were aching after just one rep. Previously I was struggling to swim 100m without stopping. Today I was comfortable doing 300m twice without breaks although my arms were getting tired so I didn't do the 400m rep. I probably took more than 15sec rest as well :)

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Coached session today, warm-up 360m swim, 60m kick, 120m pull, shortened main set of 3 * (4 * 60m descending), then tumble turn practice. I should be banned from even trying tumble turns, I managed to hit my arse off the bottom of the shallow end somehow at one stage. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭ainsyjnr

Pretty much followed the Week 3 programme. Ran out of time on session 2 as I only had 40 mins but the others were very manageable within an hour. A few weeks ago the thought of swimming 400m was unimaginable but this week I did a bit extra and logged my longest swim to date. From 1 length (20m) in early august to 400m now, I'm chuffed. This thread is exactly what I need to keep pushing myself so I can complete an Oly at a reasonable pace. Thanks Kurt

I guess i'll go first then. Time below.
    Week 3 Programme

Stick your best 100m time down in the chart below for November:

100m Time Trial|Nov '14|Dec|Jan|Feb|March|April|May|June'15
    AN Other||||||||
    ainsyjnr|1:47.1|||||||
    ||||||||
    ||||||||

ainsyjnr wrote: »
    A few weeks ago the thought of swimming 400m was unimaginable but this week I did a bit extra and logged my longest swim to date. From 1 length (20m) in early august to 400m now, I'm chuffed. This thread is exactly what I need to keep pushing myself so I can complete an Oly at a reasonable pace.

Great to read that feedback, well done on the distance and the 100m time. As long as its helpful to people new to Tri like yourself who want to do their best, it'll be a worthwhile thread. You're right to be chuffed- the easy thing to do is sign up for a Tri in November and forget about swimming until the wetsuit fitting in May. Fair play to you for pushing yourself; onwards and upwards now :)

Anyone else got a 100m time? Doesn't matter if its very slow at the moment; the objective is to have a baseline to improve from over the next few months. Stick your current time down below.

ainsyjnr|1:47.01|||||||
    ||||||||
    ||||||||
    ||||||||

Did session 1 on Wednesday and session 3 on Friday. (ie. skipped session 2 due to midweek start)
    session 3 was quite enjoyable and felt quite strong. Looking forward to monitoring the improvements ;)

strummer_ie|2:10|||||||
    ||||||||
    ||||||||

• Advertisement

Day 1
    200 easy
    4*100 as (25m pb, 25m kick (use your pb as a board), 25m pb, 25m kick, 15 sec rest)
    3*50 fingertip
    3*50 pb
    3*50 armpit tap
    3*50 sailboat*
    3*50 swim
    200 swim down
    (15 sec rest after each drill, all done at comfortable pace)

*"Sailboat"- this is a new drill. Hold your board tight between your crotch and your thighs, with the majority of the board facing down like a rudder. Clench your buttocks, and swim the 50's with the board held tightly. Your shoulders will need to rotate more to control the swim.

Day 2
    200 easy
    3*100 off 2:30 (or whatever your slow pace is)
    1 min rest
    3*100 off 2:25 (slow pace minus 5 seconds)
    1 min rest
    3*100 off 2:20 (slow pace minus 10 seconds; this pace should feel "steady")
    1 min rest
    3*100 off 2:15 (slow pace minus 15 seconds; this pace should feel "fast")
    1 min rest
    200 easy
    Steady pace for each 100. More experienced swimmers do 4*100 of each.

Day 3
    100m easy
    600m straight swim (more experienced do 800m or 1,000m)
    4 mins rest
    6*100m with 10 sec rest after each 100 (more experienced do 8*100 or 10*100)
    400m easy drills of your choice

Time both the straight 600 and the 6*100. You may well notice that the 6*100 is quicker, even allowing for the extra rest in between. I'm using a mallet to drive home a point here ;)

career move|2:49|||||||
    ||||||||

I did session 3 week 3 just there now. My favourite drill is the fingertip one and I find the armpit one the most difficult. Time trial was fun. 2:50 for the first one and 2:49 for the second. It's a beginning as they say :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Good start. Wait until you see the improvements you will make in 3-6 months, you literally won't know yourself.

Rainbow Kirby|1:57*|||||||

* Converted time - I did this in a 33 yard/30m pool. Raw time for 100 yards was 1:47, I used the calculator here, converting from a 33 yard pool to 25m pool time.

Rainbow Kirby|1:57*|||||||
    ToTriOrNot |2:09|||||||

Haven't had time to do all sessions..today I did a modified version of Week 4, day 1 as follows:

200 warm up
    2x 25 kick
    4x 50 pb
    4x 50 fingertip
    4x50 armpit
    4x50 swim
    200 cool down.

I was swimming in Sandycove, Kinsale on sunday, and it's amazing how different it is to pool swimming, specially with the wetsuit on...I am not crazy enough yet to go without it in Irish waters!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭ainsyjnr

Did wk4 session 1 this morning but had to ditch the kick reps. They are not my favourite anyway, especially using the pb, but with last nights tempo and repetition session in them they were empty...

Replaced that set with some single arm swimming with a pb, I like them as it really makes me focus on the catch and pull and not bobbing up and down too much in the water as I execute. I also like the fact that I can try and perfect my breathing by trying to keep my head level with one eye in the water on both sides. What's your thought on them Kurt?

The sailboat was fun, I was rocking all over the place!

I had some extra time so finished off with 5 x 100 in preparation for later in the week.

Enjoyed that one (probably because there was little kicking!.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

So I'm way behind. Was on holidays for 2 weeks. Need to get the finger out & start back at week 1. Still struggling to breath well so I know I need to get this right first.
    How big of a breath in should I be taking... I feel like I need to fill up the lungs each time but don't think this is correct.
    Are we all breathing bi-lateral in these drills? I think I'll have a better chance if I swap to every two strokes.
    Do I need to buy a Pull Buoy... or are they supposed to be lying around at the pool... now that I've written that it sounds stupid.. buy one yea? ;)

Steroo wrote: »
    Do I need to buy a Pull Buoy... or are they supposed to be lying around at the pool... now that I've written that it sounds stupid.. buy one yea? ;)

Depends on your pool! The ones I swim at always have pull buoys and kickboards there, but they seemed to be a much rarer sight in Ireland.

Question regarding kick drills? AM i the only one that hates them? At some stage yesterday I felt I was going backwards. Is that even possible?
    What needs to be done to get better (please don't tell me we need to increase our kick drills...It's bad enough as it is!!!)

• Advertisement

Kick drills with fins on are grand, kick drills without fins are the spawn of satan himself :pac: I feel like I'm going absolutely nowhere with them a lot of the time.

Advertisement